What are your religious beliefs, or lack thereof?

Mariposa Traicionera

Post by Mariposa Traicionera »

I didn't see a thread like this, and I'm curious as to what everyone's spiritual or religious beliefs are. I am an atheist. I have a spiritual hunger though, so I wish I could wrap my mind around Pantheism, but I just can't.

What do you believe?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

IDK...my kids are in Catholic school, etc. but so much for going to church on Sundays...we bag it in the summer & after whatever sacrement they've made usually in March. Our pastor is an arsehole & not nice to anyone unless your on "his good side"..and he many sides :wah:
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

qsducks;1237364 wrote: IDK...my kids are in Catholic school, etc. but so much for going to church on Sundays...we bag it in the summer & after whatever sacrement they've made usually in March. Our pastor is an arsehole & not nice to anyone unless your on "his good side"..and he many sides :wah:

That's the trouble with all religions. They attract so many imperfect people.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am a Secular Humanist.

Council for Secular Humanism
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

hoppy;1237369 wrote: That's the trouble with all religions. They attract so many imperfect people. I don't bother with him...he ain't worth my time..and believe me I've had a few arguments with him over stupid shyte...he once threatened me with the line of "I will tell your hubs what you said to me as I see him every Sunday morning":yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl we have a very popular last name in the church...good luck dude:wah: hubs never goes to church so that was a major laugh on my end and besides you don't even know me...he doesn't know half the kids in the school...very confusing since the last priest knew all the children...this guy is a pita.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I haven't had any religious beliefs since I was 16 yrs. old. I left the Catholic Church emotionally when I was 16 yrs. and physically when I was 20 yrs. old.

I think of myself as an agnostic because I want to keep my mind and heart open to the world around me.

If there really is a Heaven or Hell, I know that I'll be travelling upwards since I try to be the best person that I can be.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I have no beliefs...what happens, happens.
Life is just to short for drama.
Mariposa Traicionera

Lon;1237377 wrote: I am a Secular Humanist.

Council for Secular HumanismAnother moniker I use to describe myself. :)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1237387 wrote: I haven't had any religious beliefs since I was 16 yrs. old. I left the Catholic Church emotionally when I was 16 yrs. and physically when I was 20 yrs. old.

I think of myself as an agnostic because I want to keep my mind and heart open to the world around me.

If there really is a Heaven or Hell, I know that I'll be travelling upwards since I try to be the best person that I can be.

I just don't really care anymore..I dropped off C, J and Quin last year...the boys wer both making sacraments...after that was done...haven't been back...will pick up inthe fall...but I have no interest in it. With the current priest we have...a total backwards man he is...turns a load of peeps off...he is extremely sexist...can't be bothered. I wish the archdiocese had kept Fr. Mike in our church...everybody loved him...except the pastor. He always had a lively ceremony...made peeps laugh.

And forget Christmas & Easter...nope, don't go at all. We just don't bother.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

i am an odinist of the germanic tribes.:driving:
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Pagan spiritualist.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Church Of The SubGenius:

Pamphlet #1 - intro

This explosive new futureligion BEYOND science may raise your intelligence, transform your life, improve your health and luck, and end financial woes!!

THIS IS IT - the weirdest supercult of them all!!!

THE ONLY "FAITH" THAT PROMISES ACTION - THRILLS - SUCCESS IN SEX AND BUSINESS!

Praise "Bob" !!!!

Attached files
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

Ian;1238084 wrote: I follow the Alchemist principles and I'm heavily influenced by Hermes or Thoth,

As above so below.

so was crowley a mentor, or did he focus your spiritual search, or do you know of his work?:D
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I'm attracted to many forms, but would have to say I'm Gaian at heart. After all, the physical manifestation of the entity that sustains us all is right under our feet.
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

I have been raised in Christianity my whole life. I had my doubts from time to time but I believe, know, there is a God. I consider myself a spiritual person, I pray, repent, try to live a life of servitude but I don't attend church. I don't possess the ability to walk the straight and narrow as most churches would expect and I don't care to be looked upon as a hypocrite. And, I don't care too much for the word religion as I feel it boxes you in on everything one religion sells you. I think all 'religions' are open to interpretation and there will always be at least one element of it that you can't quite digest.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

almostfamous;1238460 wrote: I have been raised in Christianity my whole life. I had my doubts from time to time but I believe, know, there is a God. I consider myself a spiritual person, I pray, repent, try to live a life of servitude but I don't attend church. I don't possess the ability to walk the straight and narrow as most churches would expect and I don't care to be looked upon as a hypocrite. And, I don't care too much for the word religion as I feel it boxes you in on everything one religion sells you. I think all 'religions' are open to interpretation and there will always be at least one element of it that you can't quite digest.

Well said, ma'am. :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

almostfamous;1238460 wrote: I have been raised in Christianity my whole life. I had my doubts from time to time but I believe, know, there is a God. I consider myself a spiritual person, I pray, repent, try to live a life of servitude but I don't attend church. I don't possess the ability to walk the straight and narrow as most churches would expect and I don't care to be looked upon as a hypocrite. And, I don't care too much for the word religion as I feel it boxes you in on everything one religion sells you. I think all 'religions' are open to interpretation and there will always be at least one element of it that you can't quite digest.

I was raised Catholic...quit the church years ago....I drop the kids off, hubs never goes & I rarely go. When they get to high school, I'll just write out the check for the church so they get a tuition break but won't go unless they get some decent priest there who is actually decent & friendly. For now, no thanks.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

and one element people will distort for their own means, well said friend,;):-6
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

The Rob;1238465 wrote: Well said, ma'am. :-6

Thank you muh dear

qsducks;1238466 wrote: I was raised Catholic...quit the church years ago....I drop the kids off, hubs never goes & I rarely go. When they get to high school, I'll just write out the check for the church so they get a tuition break but won't go unless they get some decent priest there who is actually decent & friendly. For now, no thanks.

I have my own reasons for not attending as well, in addition to what I already mentioned. Nothing scarred me for life or anything but things I witnessed happening as I grew up in the church. Preachers dallying with the secretary, yada yada. I grew up in a Pentecostal church... not the long hair, long skirts type, but more in resemblance of a 'soul church' . I love the music, others' dancing never bothered me but when some talked in tongues I became a little uncomfortable. It's something that I believe that exists, I have done it myself, but I feel it is too often faked and done for show.

I pretty well separated myself from the church when I moved out at 19. Once it was no longer required I found I didn't want to go anymore. I've visited here and there, even DATED a preacher back in 05. I've dabbled in other religions such as buddhism but I can't tear myself away from the fact that I cannot believe there is more than one God and the whole reincarnation thing kinda freaked me out too lol.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

almostfamous;1238479 wrote: Thank you muh dear

I have my own reasons for not attending as well, in addition to what I already mentioned. Nothing scarred me for life or anything but things I witnessed happening as I grew up in the church. Preachers dallying with the secretary, yada yada. I grew up in a Pentecostal church... not the long hair, long skirts type, but more in resemblance of a 'soul church' . I love the music, others' dancing never bothered me but when some talked in tongues I became a little uncomfortable. It's something that I believe that exists, I have done it myself, but I feel it is too often faked and done for show.

I pretty well separated myself from the church when I moved out at 19. Once it was no longer required I found I didn't want to go anymore. I've visited here and there, even DATED a preacher back in 05. I've dabbled in other religions such as buddhism but I can't tear myself away from the fact that I cannot believe there is more than one God and the whole reincarnation thing kinda freaked me out too lol.

the whole speaking in tounges things is kinda creepy:-3:-2
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

luciferjohn;1238471 wrote: and one element people will distort for their own means, well said friend,;):-6

Yep, I see people, some Christians, some not, twist the words of the Bible to suit their lifestyle... justify their actions, creating exemption. It's sad.

I, myself, believe in what the Bible represents but feel that with the changing of the times and the problems that we deal with now being so different that the stories told in it are VERY open to interpretation but also can be applicable to current dealings. I find truth in it as a whole but tend to shy away from some of it when it becomes a bit outlandish in how it sort of implies perfection is necessary to get into Heaven. I know of NOONE that is perfect, save me, and I don't want to be lonely up there by myself. :rolleyes::wah:
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

luciferjohn;1238481 wrote: the whole speaking in tounges things is kinda creepy:-3:-2

Had I not been raised around it my whole life, it probably would freak me out too ;)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

almostfamous;1238479 wrote: Thank you muh dear

As for myself...yeah I'm sure there is a god but the thing that really grates on my nerves is when the church comes out during elections and says do not support so and so candidate cuz he/she is prochoice but they don't say shyte about the death penalty or war. Can't have it both ways. Also our priest is such a butthead...the last time I went, he called the adults "now big boys & girls"...my adult daughter was flabbergasted...nobody laughed.
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

qsducks;1238490 wrote: As for myself...yeah I'm sure there is a god but the thing that really grates on my nerves is when the church comes out during elections and says do not support so and so candidate cuz he/she is prochoice but they don't say shyte about the death penalty or war. Can't have it both ways. Also our priest is such a butthead...the last time I went, he called the adults "now big boys & girls"...my adult daughter was flabbergasted...nobody laughed.

To each his own, ya know. If asked, I stand by what I believe in. I've even known to be a bit cantankerous about it and a few pretty well refuse to speak to me now because of it but it's what I believe. As for Catholocism... well, not to ruffle anyone else's feathers but I've never bought into much at all of that faith. Priests who play the role of God allowing you to come to them and repent for your sins. I don't feel it was ever meant to be that way and definitely don't feel it's necessary for salvation. Your relationship with God is all that matters ;)
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

damn, I didn't mean to kill the thread :-2:-3:wah:
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

almostfamous;1238524 wrote: damn, I didn't mean to kill the thread :-2:-3:wah:

it was slow moving already :yh_rotfl:D
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

almostfamous;1238496 wrote: To each his own, ya know. If asked, I stand by what I believe in. I've even known to be a bit cantankerous about it and a few pretty well refuse to speak to me now because of it but it's what I believe. As for Catholocism... well, not to ruffle anyone else's feathers but I've never bought into much at all of that faith. Priests who play the role of God allowing you to come to them and repent for your sins. I don't feel it was ever meant to be that way and definitely don't feel it's necessary for salvation. Your relationship with God is all that matters ;)

Cuz its the crock of shyte faith. Oh yeah, go to confession..forget it. No thanks, I can confess to a tree thankyou very much:wah:. What I've never been able to figure out in the Catholic church is why do they insist on baptizing a baby for its sins? Huh? On one hand, they are prolife...ok have the baby, but what does that have to do with sin? Oh, right...mom & dad had sex...its a very sexist religion imo.
Mariposa Traicionera

luciferjohn;1238481 wrote: the whole speaking in tounges things is kinda creepy:-3:-2

I think so too. And, while I don't believe in the Bible, I don't see how people who do can speak in tongues like they do in Pentecostal churches. It seems clear to me that the tongues mentioned in the book of Acts were actual languages.:-2
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

qsducks;1238527 wrote: Cuz its the crock of shyte faith. Oh yeah, go to confession..forget it. No thanks, I can confess to a tree thankyou very much:wah:. What I've never been able to figure out in the Catholic church is why do they insist on baptizing a baby for its sins? Huh? On one hand, they are prolife...ok have the baby, but what does that have to do with sin? Oh, right...mom & dad had sex...its a very sexist religion imo.

sadly most of them started very sexist but most evolved over the years,catholocism is very odd with all the saints , virgin mary,(i thought it was the christ who was to be worshiped not his mom?)too many gods and im an odinist lol:wah:
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

Mariposa Traicionera;1238528 wrote: I think so too. And, while I don't believe in the Bible, I don't see how people who do can speak in tongues like they do in Pentecostal churches. It seems clear to me that the tongues mentioned in the book of Acts were actual languages.:-2

But you don't believe in the Bible... so how is it clear? Not meaning to argue but you clearly just disputed yourself without my assistance.

It's considered a gift of the holy spirit. Something uncontrollable, as has been my experience.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

luciferjohn;1238531 wrote: sadly most of them started very sexist but most evolved over the years,catholocism is very odd with all the saints , virgin mary,(i thought it was the christ who was to be worshiped not his mom?)too many gods and im an odinist lol:wah:

And the pope wonders why no young peeps want to become priests or nuns..duh...I think we are the only religion that has not evolved into letting priests/nuns get married...don't most religions let you get married while being a priest?
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

qsducks;1238533 wrote: And the pope wonders why no young peeps want to become priests or nuns..duh...I think we are the only religion that has not evolved into letting priests/nuns get married...don't most religions let you get married while being a priest?

as far as i know cathlics are the only ones who dont,( i could be wrong thought)i know pastors of most christian churches ive been to are married, never seen a married catholic priest,heck ive even met women pastors with ful families,catholics dont allow women to preach as far as i know.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I love churches, and church architecture (the cathedral style is what I mean here). I love the rituals, particularly those of the Anglican/Episcopal faith. I love them enough that I'm sometimes disappointed for not being a "whole wheat" Christian. I'd feel like a hypocrite because I don't believe as the other congregates do.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

almostfamous;1238532 wrote: But you don't believe in the Bible... so how is it clear? Not meaning to argue but you clearly just disputed yourself without my assistance.

It's considered a gift of the holy spirit. Something uncontrollable, as has been my experience.

:p:D still creepy lol :D
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

luciferjohn;1238534 wrote: as far as i know cathlics are the only ones who dont,( i could be wrong thought)i know pastors of most christian churches ive been to are married, never seen a married catholic priest,heck ive even met women pastors with ful families,catholics dont allow women to preach as far as i know.

No they don't and their argument is because of the apostles (they were all men)...but women can become deconesse's...always laugh at that cuz guys are deacons. Although I do believe in a Catholic education...it is entirely up to my kids later in life if they want to choose the faith or not. My older daughter hasn't been to church in almost 6 yrs..although she goes at Christmas...& then goes out to partay:wah:...the church sent envelopes to her..she told me "mom, tell them I moved out of state":wah:...Oh, and the priest is supposed to visit each household in the parish...like come to your door, come in for tea, etc. Haven't seen ours in years and my other beef with Fr. Butthead is some peeps got cancer last year & the families begged for him to come to their homes...he claimed he was too busy. Yeah, doing what? feeding his dogs chocolate covered potato chips? Of course the idiot wanted everyone to feel sorry for him when the dog died...probs from cardiac arrest.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

qsducks;1238538 wrote: No they don't and their argument is because of the apostles (they were all men)...but women can become deconesse's...always laugh at that cuz guys are deacons. Although I do believe in a Catholic education...it is entirely up to my kids later in life if they want to choose the faith or not. My older daughter hasn't been to church in almost 6 yrs..although she goes at Christmas...& then goes out to partay:wah:...the church sent envelopes to her..she told me "mom, tell them I moved out of state":wah:...Oh, and the priest is supposed to visit each household in the parish...like come to your door, come in for tea, etc. Haven't seen ours in years and my other beef with Fr. Butthead is some peeps got cancer last year & the families begged for him to come to their homes...he claimed he was too busy. Yeah, doing what? feeding his dogs chocolate covered potato chips? Of course the idiot wanted everyone to feel sorry for him when the dog died...probs from cardiac arrest.

sounds like you all need a new priest, hes not paying attention to the proper things , if you choose that life then you should fulfil your duties to the fullest, even if it means annoying the congragation lol:D
Mariposa Traicionera

almostfamous;1238532 wrote: But you don't believe in the Bible... so how is it clear? Not meaning to argue but you clearly just disputed yourself without my assistance.

A book of fiction can still illustrate something that is clear to me. For example, in To Kill a Mockingbird it was clear Tom Robinson was innocent, ever though IRL there was no Tom Robninson, no Atticus Finch, and no trial. KWIM?
Mariposa Traicionera

Just a little trivia - while a Catholic priest cannot get married, there are cases where a married man can become a Catholic priest.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

Mariposa Traicionera;1238543 wrote: A book of fiction can still illustrate something that is clear to me. For example, in To Kill a Mockingbird it was clear Tom Robinson was innocent, ever though IRL there was no Tom Robninson, no Atticus Finch, and no trial. KWIM?

so kinda like how moby dick teaches about obcession(sorry about spelling)?:D
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

Mariposa Traicionera;1238544 wrote: Just a little trivia - while a Catholic priest cannot get married, there are cases where a married man can become a Catholic priest.

cool didnt know that:D
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

Ian;1238577 wrote: I'm partly influenced by Crowley however trust is to much a leap of faith to call him a "mentor" I would say Carl Jung is responsible for my "spiritual" search.

cool:D ever look into the 7 books of moses, i havent read them all but many of the symbols within appear alchemiac,ever use the thoth taroh? sorry im fasinated by the ancient religions.
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

Mariposa Traicionera;1238543 wrote: A book of fiction can still illustrate something that is clear to me. For example, in To Kill a Mockingbird it was clear Tom Robinson was innocent, ever though IRL there was no Tom Robninson, no Atticus Finch, and no trial. KWIM?

I gotcha :)
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

Ian;1238585 wrote: No I haven't but they are alchemically influenced like all ancient text, I will have a good look at them,

My sister uses the Tarot cards but I do not, these symbols are seen on "the Great Cross of Hendaye" quite an interesting reading :)

YouTube - 2012 The Great Cross of Hendaye

awsome thanx for the link:D

Return to “General Religious Discussions”