Did You Know

Lon

Did You Know

Post by Lon »

that the state of Arkansas has a provision that bans Atheists from holding public office. This provision just lost an appeal that would have changed the law and allow atheists to hold office.

What's your thinking on this one? Agree? Disagree?
Ted

Did You Know

Post by Ted »

Lon:-6

I do not believe that one's faith or lack thereof should in any way impinge on their right to hold public office. The next step would be to say something like you can't hold such an office if you are Episcopalian or Roman Catholic.

That is simply discrimination and should not be allowed.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Lon

Did You Know

Post by Lon »

Jester;1144387 wrote: It's interesting, Im a bit shocked, do you have a link for the story?

Dispatches from the Culture Wars: Bill to Repeal Anti-Atheist Provision in Arkansas Constitution

Arkansas is just one of five states with a similar law.

I find it interesting that this kind of discrimination is not better reported.

Lon

Did You Know

Post by Lon »

Jester;1144413 wrote: I get it, I have heard of other laws similar that are not enforceable and simply a waste of time to remove from the books, another law supercedes it in authority so its a law that is null and void. There's onw on the book in CA about not bathing during certain times, crazy stuff.

This must date back in time to a period when athiests were considered untrustworthy.

I think thi sis absolutely unenforceable even when it was a valid law and was probably more of a warnign to keep athiests out of office rather than an actual enforceable law that could be used to remove soemone from office or legally ban them from running.

Personally I don't care if soemone belives in God or not as far as qualification for office, I think there are plenty of people who say they belive in God then don't follow his basic laws that are in office, so what difference does it make?

There aren't many good men that run, athiest or beliver anyway, seems like the last thing I'd ask.

It really doesn't matter ------------ I doubt that anyone running for public office that came out and said they are an atheist would ever stand a chance of being elected. I'll have to search that one.
sunny104

Did You Know

Post by sunny104 »

I though we stopped discriminating people based on gender, religion, race, etc. Atheists should not be excluded from that in any way. :thinking:
Clodhopper

Did You Know

Post by Clodhopper »

chuckle. Funny what old rules and regulations hang around. Heard a story once of a Cambridge student who'd been digging around in old Uni documents, and noted a C16th (or something) regulation which allowed him to send out for a pint of beer while sitting an examination. He was successful, but then found he'd been failed for not attending the exam with a sword!:wah:

Probably apocyphal, but it gave me a giggle.:)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
usernew

Did You Know

Post by usernew »

Quite Bizarre, if there are any hard rules to differentiate the Theists and Atheists...
hoppy

Did You Know

Post by hoppy »

Lon;1144256 wrote: that the state of Arkansas has a provision that bans Atheists from holding public office. This provision just lost an appeal that would have changed the law and allow atheists to hold office.

I don't see why an atheists would want to hold office and have to be sworn in on a Bible and accept pay in currency marked "in God we trust".
Snowfire

Did You Know

Post by Snowfire »

hoppy;1194081 wrote: I don't see why an atheists would want to hold office and have to be sworn in on a Bible and accept pay in currency marked "in God we trust".

Of course not. They're not citizens after all are they. They shouldnt have equal rights at all should they
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Did You Know

Post by gmc »

JAB;1144430 wrote: "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court."

Carroll's bill seeks to put a referendum on the ballot to repeal that language. This language cannot be enforced, of course. Under Torcaso v Watkins, it is clearly unconstitutional.

And that there sums it up.

So if an atheist witnesses a murder his evidence wouldn't be accepted in court?

You can't have a christian democracy the two are incompatible.

posted by lon

that the state of Arkansas has a provision that bans Atheists from holding public office. This provision just lost an appeal that would have changed the law and allow atheists to hold office.

Yet people think all the religious nutters are muslim.
Chockygirl

Did You Know

Post by Chockygirl »

Lon;1144256 wrote: that the state of Arkansas has a provision that bans Atheists from holding public office. This provision just lost an appeal that would have changed the law and allow atheists to hold office.

I think it's discriminating against people with different views-there has to be a separation of church from state.

What if you are religious,but the god you worship isn't the god that's *acceptable* by the law makers in Arkansas?:yh_eyerol
cigar898

Did You Know

Post by cigar898 »

One's belief or non-belief should not dictate whether one is able to hold office and perform the duties of that position. Silly law.
Those who made the ultimate sacrifice thought YOU were worth dying for. Remember THEM

I'm Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Christian, and a proud Veteran. Therefore, my government has labeled me a "right-wing extremist", a militia member, and a possible domestic terrorist
cigar898

Did You Know

Post by cigar898 »

Bad law........one should not be banned for their religous beliefs or lack thereof....
Those who made the ultimate sacrifice thought YOU were worth dying for. Remember THEM

I'm Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Christian, and a proud Veteran. Therefore, my government has labeled me a "right-wing extremist", a militia member, and a possible domestic terrorist

Return to “General Religious Discussions”