Trouble with a Translation

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

2 face death over Quran translation - Afghanistan- msnbc.com

KABUL - No one knows who brought the book to the mosque, or at least no one dares say.

The pocket-size translation of the Quran has already landed six men in prison in Afghanistan and left two of them begging judges to spare their lives. They're accused of modifying the Quran and their fate could be decided Sunday in court.

The trial illustrates what critics call the undue influence of hardline clerics in Afghanistan, a major hurdle as the country tries to establish a lawful society amid war and militant violence.

The book appeared among gifts left for the cleric at a major Kabul mosque after Friday prayers in September 2007. It was a translation of the Quran into one of Afghanistan's languages, with a note giving permission to reprint the text as long as it was distributed for free.

Some of the men of the mosque said the book would be useful to Afghans who didn't know Arabic, so they took up a collection for printing. The mosque's cleric asked Ahmad Ghaws Zalmai, a longtime friend, to get the books printed.

But as some of the 1,000 copies made their way to conservative Muslim clerics in Kabul, whispers began, then an outcry.

Many clerics rejected the book because it did not include the original Arabic verses alongside the translation. It's a particularly sensitive detail for Muslims, who regard the Arabic Quran as words given directly by God. A translation is not considered a Quran itself, and a mistranslation could warp God's word.

My question is, does it specifically say in the Quran that it should be in no other language but Arabic? Sometimes putting a holy book into the vernacular would make it easier for people to read, and they would probably read it more often.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

I can't remember if it actually says that, but most Moslems consider the text in its original Arabic to be the literal word of God.

I can only think that this would cause major problems in regions (Indonesia, for example) where Arabic is not an indigenous language.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
spot

Post by spot »

What do you get from reading On the Use of Translations of the Qur’an at Mumineen.org Archive if anything? It gives the reason why a translation is worthless as far as worship or merit is concerned.

I expect, for someone of that mindset, a translation is a diversion from correct behaviour and someone distributing a translation is a stumbling block to those they misguide.

The bit about "Whoever reads a letter of the Book of Allah will be credited with a good deed" isn't in the Quran, it's among the authenticated sayings of his followers which are taken as instructions to the faithful.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is an interesting article, spot. I know reading a holy book in the original language is much more meaningful. Chookie has a valid point, in regions where Arabic is not the primary language.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Maybe if we had of left the bible in it's original language there wouldn't be such confusion about individual words and phrases
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, but the Biible was written in Hebrew, Aramic, Greek. Most people do not read those languages anymore. The Vulgate or Latin version was a translation.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmm and that's the problem "SHoel" turned into "helles" and then "hell".

Shoel means " the common grave of man" ....It just means "death" . Now people see it's use as very different.

I guess that's one example . Plus there are expressions in ancient languages which are simply not in use today so the sentiment is lost.
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

If One Were To Read Their Scriptures In The Language It Was Revealed In , You Wouldn't Have All The Problem Overstanding / Understanding It . And The Many Diffrent School Of Though / Denomination / Sect . Meaning The Bible Was Written In Aramic , Not Greek / Latin ... It Was Later Translated To You Greek / Latin . When You Translate A Language From Its Original Language It Loses It True Meaning , The Qur'aan Was Written In Arabic . The Problem The Muslims Are Having With The Qur'aan Is People Are Messing With The Language Of Their Holy Book / Disrespecting It . Then You Have Diffrent Sect Of Muslim Who Have Their Own Translation Qur'an Also Because Of The Diffrent School Of Though's .
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

If One Were To Read Their Scriptures In The Language It Was Revealed In , You Wouldn't Have All The Problem Overstanding / Understanding It . And The Many Diffrent School Of Though / Denomination / Sect .

Then You Have Diffrent Sect Of Muslim Who Have Their Own Translation Qur'an Also Because Of The Diffrent School Of Though's .

I'm only aware of two sects in Islam: Sunni and Shia. Are there others? Are you saying one of these sects has translated the Quran from Arabic into.....? Another language? A different dialect of Arabic?(if Arabic has dialects?)

Is that what they have wars about?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Chookie;1129054 wrote: I can't remember if it actually says that, but most Moslems consider the text in its original Arabic to be the literal word of God.

I can only think that this would cause major problems in regions (Indonesia, for example) where Arabic is not an indigenous language.

You're partly right , When the Qur'an was Revealed to The Prophet Muhammad it was Reavealed in his native tongue , Most Muslims are not speaking Arabic they're speaking A Dialect of Arabic and that because of the diffrent tribes / clams / cultures , The Muslims you see today are a mixture of races / cultures ..

Refer to my post Overstanding Of Al Qur'aan In The Islam Forum
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:

Return to “General Religious Discussions”