Extreme conditions of Australia

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Odie

Post by Odie »

kayleneaussie;1144248 wrote: Hot conditions coming up in Victoria again and still some bad bushfires:(

omg.........not again.:-1
Life is just to short for drama.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Odie;1144250 wrote: omg.........not again.:-1

yea my daughter is off to Perth for the weekend and her ex is going to look after the kids and the house......he reckons he will protect the house rather than leavewhich is a worry with the kids :(
FOC THREAD PART 1
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I shall be praying for you all.:-6
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

OpenMind;1144277 wrote: I shall be praying for you all.:-6

Thank you :-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Post by Odie »

kayleneaussie;1144260 wrote: yea my daughter is off to Perth for the weekend and her ex is going to look after the kids and the house......he reckons he will protect the house rather than leavewhich is a worry with the kids :(

that will be better this time, that was so much stress for her before.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

kayleneaussie;1144248 wrote: Hot conditions coming up in Victoria again and still some bad bushfires:(

Hhhmmm We're still containing them . Been busy . Again not looking forward to Friday 39 C with northerlys ............Oh goody !!! And the fire over the last couple of days is getting closer and closer to town , the wind in a westerly direction is keeping it away at the moment ...but friday is going to be ****. It'll come straight for the town with a northerly.

kay may I give you some advice to pass onto your son inlaw please?

Unless he has a sprinkler system over the house and a 'slip on' he should leave. This year is not a good year to be playing 'King of the castle'. Maybe next year. But this fire season is not a normal one. We've had to much long standing drought and the winds are not playing the game. It's different this year. Tell him we are suggesting everyone to leave if the fire is less than 2 km from them in some cases the day before it even gets to a town. Take note of Warburton at the moment 2 in three people up and left, stores were closed etc. There is no shame in not putting yourself in danger) We can't force them but we can suggest that's what we'd do . Because quite honestly it's got to the stage now where we are finding that we can't keep up . If he is in a rural area he'll know that he'll be left to his own devices and there is little chance of help if it really hits the fan. There will be no one to help him if he gets into strife. What's he going to do if the fire front comes to the house? what's he going to do with the kids? sorry Kay but I would implore him to leave.

I mentioned in an earlier post about the old woman who was helped from her home kicking and screaming a couple of weeks ago. Well yesterday the wind turned and they had to waterbomb the crap out of her property . It was funny because the local sergent was arranging how they were going to make her leave again. LOL Turns out they didn't need to, She was standing at her gate suitcase in hand ready to be picked up .:D Good.

Now that's just my opinion mind but a 'lesson learned opinion' over the last few weeks. :o

Friday is going to be nasty again. They havent told us yet but I've been watching . No one in my brigade is going out today or tommorow........which is weird because the fires are just up the road, they've brought in strike teams from else where .

Then it has dawned on me that they are resting us for Friday.:-3 Gunna be a long day me thinks.

Anyhoo I'm still tired I guess because this post is not following too well I think.

ABC News - 2009 Victorian bushfires - Latest news, photos, video, audio, maps, eye-witness accounts, emergency information, live audio

EEEEEEEYEP pretty much what I've experienced.

We fought these ones the Saturday before 'black Saturday'. I was in Boolarra though, which is just down the road from there . And that's exactly what it looks like. ----->

On the bushfire frontline - ABC Gippsland Vic (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Thanks for your post fuzz....I am going to talk to my daughter tonight about her talking to her ex about getting the kids out if something happens....I dont give a stuff about him he can do what he wants....he wouldnt listen anyways ...he is a bikie and you cant tell them anything:-5:-5

Take care fuzz:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Post by Odie »

oh Fuzzy, such devastation, hurt and pain..........
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

kayleneaussie;1144381 wrote: Thanks for your post fuzz....I am going to talk to my daughter tonight about her talking to her ex about getting the kids out if something happens....I dont give a stuff about him he can do what he wants....he wouldnt listen anyways ...he is a bikie and you cant tell them anything:-5:-5

Take care fuzz:-4

what an imbecile :-5:-5

Just been to the fire station Kay. I've just heard how others are getting thier families out tommorow. I'm doing the same. The kids and animals are out of here. I've got a day to prepare, Pete and I will have to stay and we've decided to let the house burn and just take the valuables. We're insured so who cares.

Take care Kay. i'll be back online over the weekend hopefully with a full report:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl God i'm a wanker :yh_rotfl but hopefully by the grace of god it'll jump us.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

my love and thoughts will be with you fuzz.....good luck :-4:-4:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1144393 wrote: what an imbecile :-5:-5

Just been to the fire station Kay. I've just heard how others are getting thier families out tommorow. I'm doing the same. The kids and animals are out of here. I've got a day to prepare, Pete and I will have to stay and we've decided to let the house burn and just take the valuables. We're insured so who cares.

Take care Kay. i'll be back online over the weekend hopefully with a full report:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl God i'm a wanker :yh_rotfl but hopefully by the grace of god it'll jump us.

Fuzzy, take care of yourselves.:-4
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Fuzzy, my thoughts are with you. Material things can be replaced. People cannot.

Good luck to you and your family. Just take care of yourselves. :-4
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
minks

Post by minks »

Safe Journey Fuzz
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I have to tell you that although I have never been to Australia, and it is my dream to go there one day, every Australian I have ever met has been really wonderful.

They are always full of life and such a pleasure to be around, therefore it breaks my heart to see what has happened there with all these terrible fires and homes and lives destroyed.

I have not heard of any charities or anything set up as of yet where donations could be made to help support those who lost homes get back on their feet. If you know of any please let me know as I would like to make a donation.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

mikeinie;1144553 wrote: I have to tell you that although I have never been to Australia, and it is my dream to go there one day, every Australian I have ever met has been really wonderful.

They are always full of life and such a pleasure to be around, therefore it breaks my heart to see what has happened there with all these terrible fires and homes and lives destroyed.

I have not heard of any charities or anything set up as of yet where donations could be made to help support those who lost homes get back on their feet. If you know of any please let me know as I would like to make a donation.

Thank you so much for you kind thoughts for those who have lost everything in these fires:-4

There is a website for donations.....Red Cross Victorian Bushfires 2009 Appeal
FOC THREAD PART 1
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

kayleneaussie;1144555 wrote: Thank you so much for you kind thoughts for those who have lost everything in these fires:-4

There is a website for donations.....Red Cross Victorian Bushfires 2009 Appeal

Thanks for the information, I have gone line and have made a donation, I would also encourage any FG members who love our Aussie friends, and can do so, to please help out.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Thinking of you Fuzzy,, :-4and you too Kay:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Keep safe Fuzzy - and all of you in Oz :-6
Ally

Post by Ally »

mikeinie;1144553 wrote: i have to tell you that although i have never been to australia, and it is my dream to go there one day, every australian i have ever met has been really wonderful.

I have not heard of any charities or anything set up as of yet where donations could be made to help support those who lost homes get back on their feet. If you know of any please let me know as i would like to make a donation.

thank u so much mikeinie for ur very kind words,as kay has said the red cross are doing an extrordinery job as they always do,and thank u for ur kind donation for the great aussies that have lost everything.:-4:-4
Ally

Post by Ally »

For ur continuing great job fuzzy thanks.:-4:-4
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

today in victoria there will be high temps and winds my love and thought are with fuzz and all those who are in danger of the fires :-4:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm with you there Kay ! You Aussies just stay safe, particularly those at the business end of those terrible fires :( :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

hoping everyone is safe.:-1
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well I guess it's time for a bit of a laugh.

Lesson number one .........do not underestimate wind conditions on a day above 40 degrees :wah:

Always take marshmellows with you to a fire. They help keep you awake at four in the morning, and you can threaten your colleagues with the mobile phone pics when you've caught them sitting around roasting them. :yh_rotfl

And if you touch my truck without my permission I'll effing deck you !!! I counted to twenty and he made it to 15..........lucky man. :-5:p wanker!!! I'll explain that one later ;)

Oh and one more thing don't tell an officer that he 'skips' like a girl .....just acknowledge that he skipped and turn your head away. :)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1147497 wrote: Well I guess it's time for a bit of a laugh.

Lesson number one .........do not underestimate wind conditions on a day above 40 degrees :wah:

Always take marshmellows with you to a fire. They help keep you awake at four in the morning, and you can threaten your colleagues with the mobile phone pics when you've caught them sitting around roasting them. :yh_rotfl

And if you touch my truck without my permission I'll effing deck you !!! I counted to twenty and he made it to 15..........lucky man. :-5:p wanker!!! I'll explain that one later ;)

Oh and one more thing don't tell an officer that he 'skips' like a girl .....just acknowledge that he skipped and turn your head away. :)

I'd love to know the details behind this statement.:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

great to see you laugh!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

From the just like to say thread

G-Gill asked--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuzzy is all your family OK ? And your house ?

Yep we're fine. Kids are still a bit stressed and Keehans school has been closed again today. We have much the same conditions as Balck Saturday today but all's is good so far. It's not too hot but the wind is the worry. The whole of the state is on alert, and for the first time yesterday a mobile text message was sent out to every one in the state to be on alert.

Last Friday was the day my Woodside house was under direct path of any fire but the containment lines held and all fizzled out . The staging area was set up next door at the oval so if it came to anything we were alright.

This was my job last Friday when the town went on alert. I love this thing and when they put it out of commission I want to buy one as a pool. It holds 12,000 ltres and you relay it through the appliance to fill other trucks. As it turned out we didn't need it afterall. It's parked outside the school because the school is listed as the towns no. 1 asset. It's there again today .

The jokes got a bit old during the day as everyone thought I'd heard it for the first time. " Hey when it gets hot later, reverse the pump and jump in with the others for a spa." :rolleyes: One leftentent added 'getting naked' to the suggestion

Today is a boring day though we're all just sitting around waiting for the winds to pick up . I don't think we'll get anything, but other parts of the state are still burning (we only have hot spots) so they are in a bit of a different position.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Nice one Fuzzy!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's finally over!!!!! YAY!

It's even snowing in some places ...go figure......:-2

so I guess this is the end of the thread ...thanks for all your wonderful support guys You've been great. Now we can all get some rest.

anyway here's some of my favourite pics.. with this one I'm on the coast line where the main cloud of smoke is heading and that's why we got into trouble on Black saturday . It's an early pic and the very southern tip tip of the coastline is wilsons Prom, ....it's not green anymore.

this one I love, and I'm going to get it in poster form

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've taken some pics of around my area and I'll put them up when I can load them.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Those photos are incredible fuzzy. I am so happy you and your family are ok. :-4 Are there still fires burning or are most of them contained now?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Wow, Fuzzy ! Thank goodness ! A well deserved rest for you and the crews ! ......................................................... till the next time ! I bet it wouldn't have been half as bad, though, if those murderous bastards hadn't set more fires ! Remarkable photographs ! ................ can't wait to see how things were where you were, Fuzzy. I just can't begin to imagine the horror of it all, and I cannot think of good enough words to say about all the firefighters who put their lives on the line like that. Bless you all :-4 :-4 :-4
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The fires are still burning but not causing a threat to anyone But the rain will have them all out soon............Snow in March though? That's a Hoo dinger!!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl this world is a crazy one :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1151360 wrote: The fires are still burning but not causing a threat to anyone But the rain will have them all out soon............Snow in March though? That's a Hoo dinger!!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl this world is a crazy one :wah:

For us northerners that would be September - it never snows in September! You're right, crazy days.

Beautiful photographs though - terrifying but beautiful.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OpenMind;1147504 wrote: I'd love to know the details behind this statement.:wah:

Ahhh OM , I shall tell you . but it's not pretty:wah:

Okay I was invited to ICC (comunications centre for the fires) by my estranged hubby. I jumped on that like a grasshopper because hardly anyone gets to see that place and I was offered a tour of it ....YAY!!! .............anyhoo while I was there I was introduced to the big honcho (the bloke in charge of EVERYTHING) turns out he has a sense of humour, go figure. He walked off after I was introduced to him and came back . He called my name again then came over and shook my hand and handed me a lollypop as a reward for all the hard work I was doing :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl ..strange. Then a couple of days later I saw him again at the staging area, he'd just finished briefing the strike teams and came outside where we were lining up for our breaky. He said HI and I said I havent eaten that lollypop yet. He asked why, and I said I was keeping it in my top pocket close to my heart as a radiant heat gage. (Other members of my truck were standing behind me so I had to be good) Then he brings out his card and hands it to me, .............and I said " Oh cool, this I'll put where all officers should be, close to my arse " and I put the card in my back pocket" . .....................Silence............Then everyone including him burst into laughter. Hmmm just got away with it.:D

THENNNN.........

The next day on the fire ground we saw another officer. I wasn't looking and someone siad " take a look at this wanker" I turned around to see this guy skipping towards us. He briefed us what to do next and then turned and walked away . As he did I said " You skip like a girl" ..............UH OH :-3 Pushed the humour just a little too far and got a very dirty look in return.:o
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1151342 wrote:

I've taken some pics of around my area and I'll put them up when I can load them.

These photos are just incredible........so glad you and your family are safe.:-4
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

They are not my personal photos though ....... The ones from a backyard in Moe looking across the hill to Churchill I got off photo bucket. I was in that fire as it moved towards our town.
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1151943 wrote: They are not my personal photos though ....... The ones from a backyard in Moe looking across the hill to Churchill I got off photo bucket. I was in that fire as it moved towards our town.

so happy you are home safe and warm, you are a hero.;)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Knock the "hero" stuff off and I'll be happy. :o it's just what we do . what's the alternative?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1151979 wrote: Knock the "hero" stuff off and I'll be happy. :o it's just what we do . what's the alternative?

Sponge on the dole?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

HHHmmmm funny you should say that Bryn. I'm on a single parent pension at the moment and was exempted from looking for work until late May just the other day because I've apparently earnt my government handout :rolleyes::rolleyes::-5 Yet they still do not see any community service I do or the study as a total exemption. Again they punish the people they are supposed to be helping. And allowing hte others to sit and do nothing :-5:-5 They get let off because they are medically unfit because they are druggies:-5
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I just recieved this in an email:yh_rotfl

A firefighter was working on the engine outside the station,

when he noticed a little girl nearby in a little red wagon with little

ladders hung off the sides, and a garden hose tightly coiled in the

middle. The girl was wearing a firefighters helmet.

The wagon was being pulled by her dog and her cat. The firefighter

walked over to take a closer look.

'That sure is a nice fire truck,' the firefighter said with admiration.

'Thanks,' the girl replied.

The firefighter looked a little closer.The fireman noticed the girl had

tied the wagon to her dog's collar and to the cat's testicles ...

'Little partner,' the firefighter said, 'I don't want to tell you how to run

your rig, but if you were to tie that rope around the cat's collar,

I think you could go faster.'

The little girl replied thoughtfully, 'You're probably right, but then I

wouldn't have a siren.'
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenMind

Ahhh OM , I shall tell you . but it's not pretty:wah:

Okay I was invited to...........

He didnt mean that literally fuzzmeister.
I AM AWESOME MAN
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Nomad;1154983 wrote: Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenMind

He didnt mean that literally fuzzmeister.

Yeh I did.:D
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I met a survivor yesterday. I wanted to cry but I pulled myself together . I wasn't ready for it. He's lost some good friends and neighbours and almost lost he's own son. It was harrowing listening to him but he obviously needed to talk so we all sat and listened to him I wont put some of the stories he mentioned out of respect for the dead but there is a funny story (sort of) that I'll retell at the finish of the post.. My friends said they've known him for a long time and he looked awful. They reckon that he looks like he's suddenly come down with cancer or something because of the amount of weight he has lost. This was one very traumatised man.

but what was interesting is that he mentioned a few things about how he is not so cynical about Australians anymore. He actually said he "loved Australians". Apparently his sister inlaw in the flood affected areas of Queensland told him over the phone that people actually affected by them were still sending donations to us because we were in a worse situation. Hows that eh? People going through their own devastation were sending their thoughts and money to us.

It's made me think that there really is a thing called "mateship" that still exists in Australia. Maybe we really are the lucky country. Or maybe we are just how we are.

Oh and by the way, for those who donated to the appeal . He has already recieved thousands of dollars including fifty thousand meant for all those who lost homes, so all the money is where it should be. Some of the appeal money is being kept for later on . And as some of you know each family got their own social worker appointed to them and Richards' social worker has done a wonderful job looking after them.

The man does look like he's been through the wars but he was cheerful and had a beer and eventually was able to tell a joke or two. And like he said He and his wife although they have been through hell "are the lucky ones.":)

Oh and that story .

One of his friends lived just outside of the town centre and he lost power but thought it was natural because obviously there were bush fires 70 Kms away. He put the BBQ on and they cooked up dinner and while he was standing there cooking, a huge black cloud came over. But then it went away and he had relatively blue sky again (apart from of course the smoke haze, but everyone had that) they sat and had their meal, and of course it was a good one because the icecream had to be eaten because of the power outage , much to the delight of his children. They went along with their normal routine but later on he had a feeling of going to check his business and do some paper work in town, and his wife needed bread from the general store.. He drove just under three kms to town and it wasn't there anymore. His business had vanished and so had the town along with the general store. Nothing.

I know you guys are thinking how can this happen? but this is the nature of a bushfire and especially this one. The wind was travelling in a direction away from his house and it was only the wind that was the difference between his family being insinerated or knowing nothing about what was going on. Plus it happened so quickly that there was no radio coms about the fire itself. It swept through before anybody knew about it. Richard was laughing his head off as he was telling us this story. The most devastating catastrophy is happening a couple of Kms from this blokes home and they are sitting around eating Ice cream not knowing anything about it. Albeit this man did lose his business and friends but I guess some things are just funny ..............like a black comedy really.
Odie

Post by Odie »

so sad to loose so many.:-1
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

You guys certainly seem to be well organised there. I know you're used to bush fires but this one happened pretty quickly and has been a devastating tragedy. Good to see the money's getting to where it's needed.

I can imagine that guy telling his story to you and laughing. You Aussies laugh at everything. That's why I love y'all.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I think you maybe right there OP. :-6 But sometimes what else can you do? :)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1165313 wrote: I think you maybe right there OP. :-6 But sometimes what else can you do? :)

It's human nature in the end. It's our way of getting past the morbidness.

Return to “Australia”