Why is it that.............................................. .........................

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Why is it that.............................................. .........................

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Since the US election, the conflict in the Middle East along with Iraq and Afghanistan, a thought occured to me.

Why is it, that us British, Scottish and Irish members seem to be clued up as to what is going on in America and current events and yet American members rarely comment on British politics?

Us British seem to know who is the secretary of state, the vice President, even what Senator represents what state. We know about the financial situation, the bail out, the near collapse of Chrysler and Ford Motors etc etc and much much more although some members are more imformed than others of course.

Yet if i were to ask an American member for eg: What is Ireland having a 2nd referendum over? or,

Who is our deputy Prime Minister?

Who is the leader of the opposition?

Who is leader of the Liberal Democrats?

What position does Tony Blair now hold?

What is British policy on troops in Iraq?

What is Prime Minister question time?

What is the Loch Ness Monster?

etc etc etc etc................... Would any-one know?

Why do we seem to take a keen interest in all American Political affairs yet we don't often see an American or Canadian opinion on British Politics?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

JAB;1112038 wrote: Perhaps because many here don't see your politics - rightly or wrongly - affecting their day to day lives enough to make themselves care.

Good point. I think also that history has had a very close connection between our two countries such as Blair and Bush, Thatcher and Raegan. I feel this is going to change as i have only just read tomorrows news on line and there is a report in one that predicts Gordon Brown and Obama will not see eye to eye as others have.

Or it could be that our men in Westminster are so un-interesting. Yet we have so much sleeze, lie's, cover-ups and all sorts of Shananagans going on in Westminster.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Post by Lon »

I agree with JAB----------most Americans do not see their day to day lives affected by what is going on in the UK. Here in New Zealand all my Kiwi friends and relatives are spot on to what is going on in the U.S.. Their lives are affected big time by what goes on in the U.S.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Jester;1112043 wrote: I don't give a rip about British politics and I care even less if america gets along with anyone anymore.

I'm selfishly now a strict isolationist... I am so sick of the belly aching about america on here that I wouldnt comment on british politics if my name was gordon brown.

I'm sorry that you feel that way Jester, self absorption could well cause the downfall of our country.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I really only care about Canadian and American politics.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bez

Post by Bez »

For hundreds of years Great Britain has traded with 'the rest of the world' and has had it's share of explorers seeking knowledge from around the world. Compared to the USA we are a tiny island and have been invaded a few times so have been influenced by other cultures.

The USA is so much bigger and diverse in it's climate etc......more self sufficient as well. I guess that there has been no need to look outside the country for trade, knowledge etc.

Hollywood has given the world glimpses of the USA .....cowboys, astronauts, wealth, poverty.....why wouldn't we be interested ?

I personally am interested in what goes on EVERYWHERE in the world and there's no doubt that American politics affects the world..

Strange isn't it that there will be a lot of Brits coming over to see the new president inaugurated and there will be massive coverage on the TV.

My humble thoughts folks.........and I have a vested interested as I have family in San Diego, Salt Lake City and New Orleans
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Posted by Jimbo:

when i lived in the states i was astonished by the fact that the news was just about america and nothing else really :thinking:

maybe such enlightenment will reach america one day:) :)

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1112043 wrote: I don't give a rip about British politics and I care even less if america gets along with anyone anymore.

I'm selfishly now a strict isolationist... I am so sick of the belly aching about america on here that I wouldnt comment on british politics if my name was gordon brown.

That's very sad Jester. How about us brits stop coming to America for holidays?
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

Imagine if the rest of the world felt the same way. The US needs the rest of the world more than the world needs the US.
Oscar Namechange

FUBAR;1112226 wrote: Imagine if the rest of the world felt the same way. The US needs the rest of the world more than the world needs the US.

Exactly and well said.

Jester is the one American who makes me pleased to be part of the EU.

Maybe next time Jester has a President who wants to illegally invade another country, America will be alone.
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112248 wrote: dont mention the war :-3:-3 you know how they get

Did i mention the war????? I thought i got away with it.

Anyway, i didn't start it. Germany did when they invaded Poland illegally. Did i mention illegal invasion of another country? Sorry :sneaky::sneaky:
Odie

Post by Odie »

jimbo;1112234 wrote: come on guys dont all pick on jester :thinking::thinking:

in the states there is no news of the rest of the world thats just the way it is :thinking::thinking:

see I find this weird, we get news from all over the world here.
Lon

Post by Lon »

The U.S. has many many small town newspapers that do not receive AP UP or any other national or international news services. Unfortunately, there are many that only read their local papers and do not read the larger city papers with all the news services and editorials. Then there is TV, and many will only watch local news coverage or do not subscribe to Cable (Sky) where international news is covered quite well. Broad news coverage will not come up and bite you in the ass, you have to have an interest and seek it out.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1112306 wrote: see I find this weird, we get news from all over the world here.

Odie,

I don't know why some UK'ers think that we don't have access to world news or are so ill informed about world polices because we do have access to news. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Even though I live in a small beach town, we still have the New York, DC and Philly papers delivered to us. We also have cable and radio that have world new that anyone can listen to if they wish.

Perhaps some people just don't want to respond to the UK political threads in FG as they are often sarcastic towards Americans. Oh, sorry....I'm whining again...must stop that:wah::rolleyes:
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1112313 wrote: The U.S. has many many small town newspapers that do not receive AP UP or any other national or international news services. Unfortunately, there are many that only read their local papers and do not read the larger city papers with all the news services and editorials. Then there is TV, and many will only watch local news coverage or do not subscribe to Cable (Sky) where international news is covered quite well. Broad news coverage will not come up and bite you in the ass, you have to have an interest and seek it out.

Exactly Lon....... Americans who don't give a toss to see what is going on around the world other than in their own back yard. We have the same media situation here. The difference is, the British do actually give a toss about what's happening outside their own yard and we google American newspapers to read on line.

Jester

The British Prime Minister has made an important announcement today re: the continued firing of Hamas rockets during the cease-fire. Then, you don't give a toss do you??
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1112321 wrote: Odie,

I don't know why some UK'ers think that we don't have access to world news or are so ill informed about world polices because we do have access to news. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Even though I live in a small beach town, we still have the New York, DC and Philly papers delivered to us. We also have cable and radio that have world new that anyone can listen to if they wish.

Perhaps some people just don't want to respond to the UK political threads in FG as they are often sarcastic towards Americans. Oh, sorry....I'm whining again...must stop that:wah::rolleyes:

Kathy.. If America was full of folk like you, the world would be a grander place :-6:-6:-6
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112333 wrote: proves my point :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

tosser
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112339 wrote: ihats hardly news is it:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

More a statement of British history
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1112332 wrote: Kathy.. If America was full of folk like you, the world would be a grander place :-6:-6:-6

Thank you Oscar.....I feel the same way about you:-6:-6:-6
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112346 wrote: you will be history when i prod you into the thames with my barge pole :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

When you meet me at the FG meet..... You will be so bowled over by my stunning beauty that you will be rendered powerless. Oscar then pactices her black belt Judo and wangs Jumbo up the Thames closely followed by guapo and the Leprechaun and Kilt tosser.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1112321 wrote: Odie,

I knew you did, everyone does;)

if not by local papers, any major new channel has it!

yes, they are sarcastic about the U.S!:-5:-5

damn good thing they don't start on Canada!;)
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112370 wrote: hey missey i'm bald not blind :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

You will be blinded by gorgeousness and after i have also poked you in the eye with a sharp object .
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1112378 wrote: this is what i have trouble grasping .... the no sense of humour straight into that oh its anti american thingy

for crying out loud i'm having a joke :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

America should be revering the Great Gordon...... he saved the world you know :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1112369 wrote: I knew you did, everyone does;)

if not by local papers, any major new channel has it!

yes, they are sarcastic about the U.S!:-5:-5

damn good thing they don't start on Canada!;)

:wah::wah::wah: Watch out....you never know:p
Oscar Namechange

JAB;1112389 wrote: I realize you were jimbo - no surprise there.

Your OK Jab..... It's not just America that has a problem with Jumbo's humour. I'm throwing him in the Thames at the FG meet in London. I'll video it it and post it for you.

Headlines

Bald man causes tsunami in London.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

jimbo;1112378 wrote: this is what i have trouble grasping .... the no sense of humour straight into that oh its anti american thingy

for crying out loud i'm having a joke :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Jimbo.......I feel that I do have a very good sense of humor. But, I honestly don't think that the UK political threads are just having a go at us Yanks and making jokes.....

I just wish that we could have some political forums to discuss world issues that are respectful of each other, instead of always having a dig at us all the time. And, it's only really from some UK'ers that I feel this dig....

I'm also so tired of having to prove everything that I say......Our opinions are not valued by some people in the FG.

I guess that we really are so different from each other, and we'll never understand each other.

By the way....I am not whining....just telling you how I feel.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

[quote=jimbo;1112399]maybe its a uk thing all of us oscar,chookie,spot,immy ,barman/soberanal/jes all of us have little jokes at each other

and looking back at my time in the states everyone but every one always made jokes at my/the uk expense from the boston tea party ,to saving my ass in world war 2 ,every day i was on the wrong end of millions of anti english jokes i never got the hump once thats why i cant grasp why some of you get upset its only a joke :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl[/quote

Jim, I know that you are joking, but if you go back and read the nasty and sarcastic things that are being said to and about us, you'd realize that others are not joking.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Kathy Ellen;1112397 wrote: Jimbo.......I feel that I do have a very good sense of humor. But, I honestly don't think that the UK political threads are just having a go at us Yanks and making jokes.....

I just wish that we could have some political forums to discuss world issues that are respectful of each other, instead of always having a dig at us all the time. And, it's only really from some UK'ers that I feel this dig....

I'm also so tired of having to prove everything that I say......Our opinions are not valued by some people in the FG.

I guess that we really are so different from each other, and we'll never understand each other.

By the way....I am not whining....just telling you how I feel.

In my opinion, Kathy, it's not so much cultural differences between all our countries, but rather temperamental differences between some individual posters - who seem to thrive on slanging matches and general belligerence. Coming into most of these threads for me these days is like walking sober into a public bar where's everyone's tanked up and letting it all hang out. Mostly, it boils down to just a few people in Forum Garden (from both sides of the Atlantic), who make a very disproportionate amount of noise.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1112451 wrote: In my opinion, Kathy, it's not so much cultural differences between all our countries, but rather temperamental differences between some individual posters - who seem to thrive on slanging matches and general belligerence. Coming into most of these threads for me these days is like walking sober into a public bar where's everyone's tanked up and letting it all hang out. Mostly, it boils down to just a few people in Forum Garden (from both sides of the Atlantic), who make a very disproportionate amount of noise.

I'll have you know Pam, that i have never 'let it all hang out' in a public bar :D
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1112451 wrote: In my opinion, Kathy, it's not so much cultural differences between all our countries, but rather temperamental differences between some individual posters - who seem to thrive on slanging matches and general belligerence. Coming into most of these threads for me these days is like walking sober into a public bar where's everyone's tanked up and letting it all hang out. Mostly, it boils down to just a few people in Forum Garden (from both sides of the Atlantic), who make a very disproportionate amount of noise.

Yes Pam, you're definitely right:-6;)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Why is it, that us British, Scottish and Irish members seem to be clued up as to what is going on in America and current events and yet American members rarely comment on British politics?

I agree with Pam's and Kathy's take on posting in certain threads.

It has been much better the last few days, a trend I hope will continue. Otherwise, we hide out in the arcade or casino and avoid certain threads.

:)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks Chonsi and Kathy. One thing that I used to enjoy so much in FG was the diversity of opinion. We've lost that. It's just the same old same old expressed by a couple of Brits and a couple of Americans - and the rest of us tread on eggshells. I'm sorry I got the irrits. It's Monday morning here, the sun is shining, work/life etc are calling - but first I'm off to the early aquarobics class - which contains a few Aussies, a few Americans, a few Brits - all of whom are intelligent and up in world affairs and can discuss anything and everything and do - in depth, nicely!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Originally Posted by Kathy Ellen

Jimbo.......I feel that I do have a very good sense of humor. But, I honestly don't think that the UK political threads are just having a go at us Yanks and making jokes.....

By the way....I am not whining....just telling you how I feel.Ive not been on this Thread before as I do try to stay away from these debates but I know your upset and Pam is also so I came to see why.

Kathy I cant say for other UK'ers here but I can say hand on heart that the ones I know here think alot of the other Members on this Forum and dont give a stuff where they come from.Your opinion is as important as anybody's on here and you should never forget that.Theres been IMO some winding up on certain Threads and its such a shame when people like you get upset as you dont deserve it.Some may say.....just stay away from these Threads..........and some of us do......but each and every one of us have an opinion that we feel at times we have to say.Kathy just remember if a country is being slagged off that dosent mean the person is....I know we are all protective of where we come from and nobody has the right to point a finger at any of our countries but on a Forum and with the different types it attracts this is going to happen.

Deep breaths remember and walk away as your worth more than this upset;):-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Carolly;1112486 wrote: Ive not been on this Thread before as I do try to stay away from these debates but I know your upset and Pam is also so I came to see why.

Kathy I cant say for other UK'ers here but I can say hand on heart that the ones I know here think alot of the other Members on this Forum and dont give a stuff where they come from.Your opinion is as important as anybody's on here and you should never forget that.Theres been IMO some winding up on certain Threads and its such a shame when people like you get upset as you dont deserve it.Some may say.....just stay away from these Threads..........and some of us do......but each and every one of us have an opinion that we feel at times we have to say.Kathy just remember if a country is being slagged off that dosent mean the person is....I know we are all protective of where we come from and nobody has the right to point a finger at any of our countries but on a Forum and with the different types it attracts this is going to happen.

Deep breaths remember and walk away as your worth more than this upset;):-4

Awwwww thank you my friend Carol:-4:-6 You are always the best. I will do my best to ignore some nasties...will put my hard hat and gas mask on.....:wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

And enjoy your day off tomorrow, Kathy. :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

chonsigirl;1112508 wrote: And enjoy your day off tomorrow, Kathy. :)

Oh, you too Chonsi:-6 I plan to......

Thank you:-6

Return to “General Chit Chat”