Evil Shoesmith loses her appeal

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Due to the inept Haringay Council allowing Baby P to be tortured and murdered, the head of Social Services, Sharon Shoesmith still had the neck to appeal against her sacking.

The appeal to over-turn her sacking has been rejected.

Baby P boss loses appeal | The Sun |News
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Surprise me oscar, what decision did Sharon Shoesmith take which you disagree with?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1107741 wrote: Surprise me oscar, what decision did Sharon Shoesmith take which you disagree with?

Is that regarding the decision to appeal for her job or decisions she made during her time as head of haringay SS??
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Decisions she made during her time as head of Haringey SS. She can scarcely be "Evil Shoesmith" for her decision to appeal against the imposed severance terms.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1107786 wrote: Decisions she made during her time as head of Haringey SS. She can scarcely be "Evil Shoesmith" for her decision to appeal against the imposed severance terms.

I think she's evil to do so knowing that under her management, a baby died a horrific death. How can she truely believe that she should hang on to her job??

Let's not forget 'Victoria Climbie' who also died under her management.

She made the errors of judgement to not listen to her junior workers who constantly raised alarms to Baby P's welfare.

When Ed Balls sent in his team, it was reported that her department was Chaos with cases piled high.

He described her at the time after the enquirey as 'No fit for purpose'. I agree.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1107796 wrote: I think she's evil to do so knowing that under her management, a baby died a horrific death. How can she truely believe that she should hang on to her job??

Let's not forget 'Victoria Climbie' who also died under her management.

She made the errors of judgement to not listen to her junior workers who constantly raised alarms to Baby P's welfare.

When Ed Balls sent in his team, it was reported that her department was Chaos with cases piled high.

He described her at the time after the enquirey as 'No fit for purpose'. I agree.

That's so littered with errors.

'Victoria Climbie' didn't die under Sharon Shoesmith's management, she died in 2000 and Sharon Shoesmith was a director of education until 2005. She's a manager, not a social worker. My understanding is that her teams reported they'd followed protocol while actually having skimped it, thinking that keeping clean paperwork counted for more than the job they were meant to be doing. Directors don't go out checking the accuracy of the field reports they collate.

She didn't appeal to keep her job, she appealed against the lack of notice and the lack of compensation.

Ed Balls can't possibly have described her at the time after the enquiry as 'No fit for purpose', where on earth did you get that from? When the report came out noting that Shoesmith had chaired the serious case review into the death of Baby P, Balls made it clear this was "inadequate" and had lacked proper rigour and he noted "serious failings in practice and management" . She'd been in charge of the department for two years by then.

The reason she's pilloried is that she failed to see the need to fire or suspend anyone on the ground close to the case, that's the error of judgment she can never live down.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1107814 wrote: That's so littered with errors.

'Victoria Climbie' didn't die under her management, she was a director of education before 2005. She's a manager, not a social worker.

She didn't appeal to keep her job, she appealed against the lack of notice and the lack of compensation.

Ed Balls can't possibly have described her at the time after the enquiry as 'No fit for purpose', where on earth did you get that from? When the report came out noting that Shoesmith had chaired the serious case review into the death of Baby P, Balls made it clear this was "inadequate" and had lacked proper rigour and he noted "serious failings in practice and management" . She'd been in charge of the department for two years by then.

The reason she's pilloried is that she failed to see the need to fire or suspend anyone on the ground close to the case, that's the error of judgment she can never live down.

My apologies.... Ed Balls actually said her department was not fit for purpose although i am sure i read elsewhere that he did describe her personally as 'Not fit for purpose'.

The comment is at the bottom of this article.

Anger as sacked Baby P chief launches fight for six-figure payout | News

I agree with everything in this article. It was her job to fire or suspend anyone on the ground. She failed to do that and quite rightly she should be fired with no blood money.

She did not make an error of judgement that resulted in bins not being emptied, a baby died needlessly.
spot

Post by spot »

What puzzles me is how the tabloid press can transform normally intelligent people into bookburning Nazi clones just by using a word like "evil".
Oscar Namechange

spot;1107848 wrote: What puzzles me is how the tabloid press can transform normally intelligent people into bookburning Nazi clones just by using a word like "evil".

Yes, i must be honest and say that i took the word 'evil' from many press releases about her.

That could be too strong a word i agree.

Arrogant, shameless, remorseless etc could be used.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1107852 wrote: Yes, i must be honest and say that i took the word 'evil' from many press releases about her.

That could be too strong a word i agree.

Arrogant, shameless, remorseless etc could be used.

And perfectly good words they are too. I use words like that every day. They all have shades of gray to them, unlike "evil".
spot

Post by spot »

There's a measure of balance in the Observer's note on Sunday. Whether it will be heard against the strident Billingsgate tone of the Sun I have my doubts. Sharon Shoesmith had her internal Haringey appeal dismissed, it will be interesting to see what the external Employment Tribunal will eventually decide. I'd be very surprised if it rejected her claim.A protest campaign has been launched against the "harsh" treatment of the council boss at the heart of the Baby P controversy, with headteachers and social work professionals warning that the fallout from her dismissal could put vulnerable children at risk.

Headteachers in the London borough of Haringey say the way in which former director of children's services, Sharon Shoesmith, was sacked has damaged the council's reputation and left senior professionals feeling threatened.

They have told the council's chief executive, Ita O'Donovan, that its failure to treat Shoesmith fairly will make it harder to recruit and retain vital child protection staff when demand for such services is expected to rise.

Council staff, local religious leaders, councillors, trade unionists, school governors and more than a dozen fellow children's services directors have stepped up their support of her.

Shoesmith, 55, was sacked without notice or compensation in December, a week after the children's secretary, Ed Balls, had used special powers to remove her in the wake of a critical Ofsted report into the council's handling of the death of Baby P. The 18-month-old boy was on Haringey's child protection register and died at the hands of his mother, her boyfriend and their lodger in August 2007 after suffering more than 50 injuries.

Headteachers and social work professionals launch protest campaign over 'Baby P' sacking | Society | The Observer

Oscar Namechange

spot;1115453 wrote: There's a measure of balance in the Observer's note on Sunday. Whether it will be heard against the strident Billingsgate tone of the Sun I have my doubts. Sharon Shoesmith had her internal Haringey appeal dismissed, it will be interesting to see what the external Employment Tribunal will eventually decide. I'd be very surprised if it rejected her claim.A protest campaign has been launched against the "harsh" treatment of the council boss at the heart of the Baby P controversy, with headteachers and social work professionals warning that the fallout from her dismissal could put vulnerable children at risk.

Headteachers in the London borough of Haringey say the way in which former director of children's services, Sharon Shoesmith, was sacked has damaged the council's reputation and left senior professionals feeling threatened.

They have told the council's chief executive, Ita O'Donovan, that its failure to treat Shoesmith fairly will make it harder to recruit and retain vital child protection staff when demand for such services is expected to rise.

Council staff, local religious leaders, councillors, trade unionists, school governors and more than a dozen fellow children's services directors have stepped up their support of her.

Shoesmith, 55, was sacked without notice or compensation in December, a week after the children's secretary, Ed Balls, had used special powers to remove her in the wake of a critical Ofsted report into the council's handling of the death of Baby P. The 18-month-old boy was on Haringey's child protection register and died at the hands of his mother, her boyfriend and their lodger in August 2007 after suffering more than 50 injuries.

Headteachers and social work professionals launch protest campaign over 'Baby P' sacking | Society | The Observer

Now, i fear she is being used as a tool.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1115705 wrote: Now, i fear she is being used as a tool.

Not, surely, if she wins her appeal with the Employment Tribunal, which seems more likely than not.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1115780 wrote: Not, surely, if she wins her appeal with the Employment Tribunal, which seems more likely than not.
If she wins, the department won't suffer. I fear that if she loses, inept ground workers, i.e. the one's such as responsible for baby P, will use her sacking as an excuse for not performing to standard and more children could suffer.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1115790 wrote: If she wins, the department won't suffer. I fear that if she loses, inept ground workers, i.e. the one's such as responsible for baby P, will use her sacking as an excuse for not performing to standard and more children could suffer.

On the contrary, if she ends up as the sacrifical goat then any inept ground worker will be entitled to feel that enforcing professional standards is solely the responsibility of the local authority's top management.

This Baby P thing is a bad case to draw lessons from. The paperwork system seems to have been drawn up assuming the ground workers would recognise lies and deceptions if any client tried to pull the wool over their eyes. The ground workers appear to have fallen into the habit of ticking the boxes and forgot to use their brains. A singularly nasty family unit lied while covering up for a psychopath. How the hell the Department Manager is supposed to have knowledge of that until after the child's dead I can't imagine. What she should never have done afterwards is said in public that the system was working, it obviously wasn't. Minions should have been sent for re-education on how to recognize liars.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1115804 wrote: On the contrary, if she ends up as the sacrifical goat then any inept ground worker will be entitled to feel that enforcing professional standards is solely the responsibility of the local authority's top management.

This Baby P thing is a bad case to draw lessons from. The paperwork system seems to have been drawn up assuming the ground workers would recognise lies and deceptions if any client tried to pull the wool over their eyes. The ground workers appear to have fallen into the habit of ticking the boxes and forgot to use their brains. A singularly nasty family unit lied while covering up for a psychopath. How the hell the Department Manager is supposed to have knowledge of that until after the child's dead I can't imagine. What she should never have done afterwards is said in public that the system was working, it obviously wasn't. Minions should have been sent for re-education on how to recognize liars.

When you put it like that, i can't offer an arguement to be honest.

The lessons to be learned are unfortunately, to assume all families brought to their attention are liars until proved otherwise and as you say, training in how to spot the liar's. It's remarkable how manipulative some can be even with the lowest IQ's. Karen Matthews is another family who hood-winked SS workers and family and neighbours, albiet, short lived.

Shoesmith should have sacked a few on the ground if only to save herself. To insist the system was working also caused her down-fall.

Are the three due to be sentenced soon? It's gone very quiet.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1115810 wrote: Are the three due to be sentenced soon? It's gone very quiet.Not for another couple of months.On 11 November 2008 Jason Owen, 36, and the 32-year-old boyfriend of Baby P's mother were found guilty of "causing or allowing the death of a child or vulnerable person". Baby P's 27-year-old mother had pleaded guilty to this charge. Earlier in the trial, Owen and the mother had been cleared of murder due to insufficient evidence. The boyfriend was found not guilty of murder by a jury. All three were due to be sentenced on 15 December 2008 but, at the end of November, sentencing was postponed until March or April 2009.

Death of Baby P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the demonising of Sharon Shoesmith is a reaction against the trial verdicts.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1115812 wrote: Not for another couple of months.On 11 November 2008 Jason Owen, 36, and the 32-year-old boyfriend of Baby P's mother were found guilty of "causing or allowing the death of a child or vulnerable person". Baby P's 27-year-old mother had pleaded guilty to this charge. Earlier in the trial, Owen and the mother had been cleared of murder due to insufficient evidence. The boyfriend was found not guilty of murder by a jury. All three were due to be sentenced on 15 December 2008 but, at the end of November, sentencing was postponed until March or April 2009.

Death of Baby P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the demonising of Sharon Shoesmith is a reaction against the trial verdicts.

I wondered what had happened to them. I didn't catch that it had been postponed.

I think now in hindsight, there seems to be an element of some-one having to be held accountable. I'm sure the country will be in up-roar once more when the Judge can only give them the allowed sentence and it will seem light in comparison to the crime.
only1?

Post by only1? »

I am hoping the reason its been delayed is something to do with that teenage girl who was Owens girlfriend. I read in an article that I dont really want to read again as its so upsetting how she gave an eyewitness account of the abuse. Is she too young to be a witness and is that why its delayed? I hope it is and then maybe her evidence can help to cage them for longer even if it is to just play on Ps2 games.
spot

Post by spot »

The trial's over, you know. It's done, it's finished. It's not going to be replayed or repeated.
Oscar Namechange

only1?;1116170 wrote: I am hoping the reason its been delayed is something to do with that teenage girl who was Owens girlfriend. I read in an article that I dont really want to read again as its so upsetting how she gave an eyewitness account of the abuse. Is she too young to be a witness and is that why its delayed? I hope it is and then maybe her evidence can help to cage them for longer even if it is to just play on Ps2 games.

I don't know for sure but i don't think so. In this country, children as young as four years old can give evidence in a court of law. They use video lonk up etc.

The girlfriend of the lodger has already given evidence to police and i believe it was her evidence that led to police searching 'Epping Forest' for two mobile phones and a stanley knife that she claimed had been used to slice the ends of baby P's finger-tips off whilst they filmed it on the phones.

She also gave an extensive interview to one of the tabloids about being a witness the day the step-father broke his back and ribs.

The problem appears to be that all three blamed each other for the final blow. This meant that a murder charge could see a jury return a not guilty verdict on all three as there is doubt. The judge dropped the murder charge to 'Allowing the death of a child' simply as it meant the jury could convict all three and none of them would walk although the mother admited it.

Even if she gave evidence in court, it is un-likely that it will help with all three blaming each other.
only1?

Post by only1? »

Spot, Why are people like you so quick to bite heads off?

Its because you sit there with nothing better to do isnt it. Yaaaawwwnn

Thanks for your opinion Oscar, you are very patient.
spot

Post by spot »

only1?;1116196 wrote: Spot, Why are people like you so quick to bite heads off? Because it's reactionary elements in society like you who are holding the rest of us back from actually mending the system, that's why. There are a lot of broken people out there and all you want is to see them suffer. That, to my mind, makes you a bigger problem to society at large than they are.
only1?

Post by only1? »

I’m sorry but I don’t think you can say I am calling for them to be hung drawn and quartered. The sentence they are likely to get will be too light for the crime they have committed as is the case with many crimes these days.

As for 'broken' well that’s just ridiculous. There are plenty of people who have suffered in their lives and not felt the need to then inflict suffering on others. What threat am I to society at large, my opinion doesn’t count anyway just like yours doesn’t. I can only be frustrated that the system seems to leave innocent people hard done by.

If you want to call me reactionary then fine, I embrace my emotions its better than being inhuman and stone cold to everything.
spot

Post by spot »

Here we go, the reaction to sacking "Evil Shoesmith" is starting to be noticed in the trade.Some social workers in the county were told: "We're not getting help from you, you killed Baby P", following the death of the 17-month-old child in Haringey, according to a leading council official.

The case has also been a "contributory factor" to a 10 per cent increase in the number of children being taken away from their families and into care.

Cambridge News Home - Families shun help in wake of Baby P

spot

Post by spot »

The wheels of justice grind slowly but the unsavoury Shoesmith is finally getting what she deserves. That being compensation in lieu of an official apology for having her life wrecked by a thoroughly disgusting scapegoat tactic on the part of Ed Balls, may he rot.

In court, James Eadie QC, appearing for the government, defended Mr Balls, saying urgent action had to be taken following the "ghastly findings" of the Ofsted report. But the judges allowed Ms Shoesmith's appeal against the former children's secretary because "the secretary of state did not afford Ms Shoesmith the opportunity to put her case". In the case of Haringey, the judges said: "We were unanimously of the view that Haringey's procedures were tainted by unfairness."

Lawyers for Ms Shoesmith said the ruling meant she could now launch appeals against Ed Balls and Haringey Council.

BBC News - Baby Peter sacking: Sharon Shoesmith wins appeal

Týr

Post by Týr »

spot;1360412 wrote: The wheels of justice grind slowly but the unsavoury Shoesmith is finally getting what she deserves. That being compensation in lieu of an official apology for having her life wrecked by a thoroughly disgusting scapegoat tactic on the part of Ed Balls, may he rot.And, finally, she has it. One wonders whether Ed Balls will make a statement. He's not bound by any court confidentiality clause. He made an appalling bosh solely for public applause.

BBC News - Baby Peter case: Sharon Shoesmith agrees six-figure payout
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Return to “Current Political Events”