Has anyone looked at the sky tonight?

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhhhh, you must look at the sky tonight....There's a 3 way conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and the Crescent Moon....I can see it to the south of me in Noo Joisey. Everyone can see if...look for the Moon...It's beautiful...

Here's a pic I just took with my little Canon camera....:-6Click a few times on the pic...

Space Weather News for Monday, Dec. 1, 2008

http://spaceweather.com

When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look south. Beaming through the twilight is one of the prettiest things you'll ever see--a tight three-way conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and the crescent Moon. The event is visible from all parts of the world, even from light-polluted cities. People in New York and Hong Kong will see it just as clearly as astronomers watching from remote mountaintops. Only cloudy weather or a midnight sun (sorry Antarctica!) can spoil the show.

The great conjunction offers something extra to Europeans. For more than an hour on Monday evening, the crescent Moon will actually eclipse Venus. Astronomers call such an event a "lunar occultation." Venus emerging from the dark edge of the Moon is a remarkably beautiful sight.

Sky watchers across Europe will be able to see this happen.

Visit http://spaceweather.com for photos, webcasts and more information.
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

hello kathy and i do like watching the sky yes and find it so interesting.good to see you:)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

hoxtonchris;1074497 wrote: hello kathy and i do like watching the sky yes and find it so interesting.good to see you:)

Good to see you too Chris:-6...Did you look out at the Brit's sky...do you see the beauty of the moon and planets?
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

will I be able to see it tonight:thinking:
FOC THREAD PART 1
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

Kathy Ellen;1074508 wrote: Good to see you too Chris:-6...Did you look out at the Brit's sky...do you see the beauty of the moon and planets?ive looked since reading your thread but im afraid saw nothing but im sure others will somewhere
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

hoxtonchris;1074512 wrote: ive looked since reading your thread but im afraid saw nothing but im sure others will somewhere

Oh Chris...I'm sorry...The article said that everyone should see it. Did you look for the moon?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kayleneaussie;1074511 wrote: will I be able to see it tonight:thinking:

Oh, I thought so Kaylene...the article said that everyone should see it. I'm looking south and it's absolutely beautiful...Try looking for the moon and then you'll see the 2 bright planets to the southeast of it....Let me know if you see it....
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

Kathy Ellen;1074517 wrote: Oh Chris...I'm sorry...The article said that everyone should see it. Did you look for the moon?just checked again and i cant even see the moon!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

hoxtonchris;1074525 wrote: just checked again and i cant even see the moon!

It just disappeared for me also....clouds might be passing...OR, in your area....

The great conjunction offers something extra to Europeans. For more than an hour on Monday evening, the crescent Moon will actually eclipse Venus. Astronomers call such an event a "lunar occultation." Venus emerging from the dark edge of the Moon is a remarkably beautiful sight. Sky watchers across Europe will be able to see this happen.

I'll look again a bit later.....hope you see it later....
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

goodnight kathy i had better get off now as im on carols laptop while she was doing something but im getting dirty looks now, you take care.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

hoxtonchris;1074528 wrote: goodnight kathy i had better get off now as im on carols laptop while she was doing something but im getting dirty looks now, you take care.

You too Chris...good night:-6
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

I can see it! its kinda spooky...:)
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Fibonacci;1074555 wrote: I can see it! its kinda spooky...:)

Oh thanks Fib....I was hoping someone else would see it. It is beautiful, isn't it? Clouds are covering the sky now, but I'll look again later:-6
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Kathy Ellen;1074519 wrote: Oh, I thought so Kaylene...the article said that everyone should see it. I'm looking south and it's absolutely beautiful...Try looking for the moon and then you'll see the 2 bright planets to the southeast of it....Let me know if you see it....

its only lunch time here Kathy but will look tonight:)
FOC THREAD PART 1
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I noticed it last night before the fog rolled in, it was a beautiful sight. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

AHHHHHHHHHHH overcast here!:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Very Cool

I noticed it last night - so glad Kathy brought attention to it...

As the moon dropped - the extended planets, so suspended like swings.

I give a quixk call to my sister in Wa, Seattle area, tell her to look....

Glad you Moon is beautiful - we've had our headlights on all day and it's raining very hard..... OOPS....

Cool sight

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's a picture that a Romanian photographer caught of the moon eclipsing Venus.....

Here's what the photographer said....according to Spaceweather.com..

"I caught Venus just before it disappeared behind the dark edge of the Moon," he says. Venus remained hidden for more than an hour, then popped out again to form a spectacular triangle with Jupiter and Luna as opposing vertices. "What a very nice vision!"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's a picture taken by a photographer in Colorado Springs from a rock formation called "Kissing Camels Rock."

kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Kathy Ellen;1074519 wrote: Oh, I thought so Kaylene...the article said that everyone should see it. I'm looking south and it's absolutely beautiful...Try looking for the moon and then you'll see the 2 bright planets to the southeast of it....Let me know if you see it....

we have a quarter moon with 2 really bright stars across from it the only 2 stars in the sky:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kayleneaussie;1074703 wrote: we have a quarter moon with 2 really bright stars across from it the only 2 stars in the sky:D

Isn't it beautiful Kaylene:-6Astronomy amazes me. I love to bring my telescope out late at night and look for meteor shows:p

As Patsy said, last night it looked like there was a swing under the cresent moon and the Jupiter and Venus were sitting on the swing.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I love the night sky. Where I live (when there are no clouds) the sky over the Irish Sea is full of stars, often during the summer we would just sit out back with a drink and look up at the night sky, we would watch for falling stars, try to find satellites, I love it.

A couple of summers ago we had a full eclipse of the moon and I made big bowls of popcorn and kids and I sat up and watch it like we were at the movies.

In the words of Paul McCartney: Venus and Mars are alright tonight.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

mikeinie;1074705 wrote: I love the night sky. Where I live (when there are no clouds) the sky over the Irish Sea is full of stars, often during the summer we would just sit out back with a drink and look up at the night sky, we would watch for falling stars, try to find satellites, I love it.

A couple of summers ago we had a full eclipse of the moon and I made big bowls of popcorn and kids and I sat up and watch it like we were at the movies.

In the words of Paul McCartney: Venus and Mars are alright tonight.

Hello Mike:-6

I lived in a polluted city for most of my life before moving "down the shore." I never saw the stars.....Now living in an unpolluted area, I have my telescope out a lot viewing the stars. Mostly, go to the beach with a big mug of coffee at 3 AM and watch the stars with my fishermen neighbors....lovely....:D

On my first trip to Ireland to finally meet my rellys, we went to a country dance in Dunlewy, Donegal.....When we stepped outside after the dance, we were awed by the amount of stars in the sky....I cried when I saw its beauty....guess that why Donegal is called the...." back of beyond" and I'm a "fardowner"............the area has no pollution and a small population....just millions of stars to look at each night while smelling the turf fires:-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Everyone,

It's about 5:30 here in Noo Joisey now. The sky is really cloudless and you can again see the conjunction of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus...It's still beautiful:-6And, there's an orange haze behind the moon peeking out:wah:
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

thanks for mooning at us Kathy:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Fab pics hun, loved them:-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Chezzie;1075463 wrote: thanks for mooning at us Kathy:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Fab pics hun, loved them:-4

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Oh you know me Chez...I l do love to moon the stars:wah:

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

kathy ellen;1075470 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl oh you know me chez...i l do love to moon the stars:wah:

ohhh pwetty stars:-4
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

I love the pic Kathy, before I had my knee done I took an amazing picture of the moon while walking the dogs, tomorrow I will open a photobucket account and try to get my pics posted, I will add mine here if thats ok with you ;)
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

SuzyB;1075482 wrote: I love the pic Kathy, before I had my knee done I took an amazing picture of the moon while walking the dogs, tomorrow I will open a photobucket account and try to get my pics posted, I will add mine here if thats ok with you ;)

Ahhhh Suzy:-6 That would be wonderful...I'd love to see your pics. Have you looked at the moon tonight..don't think this conjuction will be with us too much longer. It's still going on, but the planets have moved more to the west.

I love anything to do with astronomy. I also love photobucket.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Last week you could see the space station from where I live and if you had a powerful enough telescope....the lost tool bag !
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Actually I might ask Father Christmas for a telescope, I find it really relaxing looking at the stars, hey properly lot cheaper than therapy :yh_rotfl

Kathy I dont know whats going on it wont let me post any pictures says something about the security, someone suggested photobucket, so tomorrow I will sort it out :)

Bez

Post by Bez »

This is a good website................

Heavens-Above Home Page
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

SuzyB;1075520 wrote: Actually I might ask Father Christmas for a telescope, I find it really relaxing looking at the stars, hey properly lot cheaper than therapy :yh_rotfl

Kathy I dont know whats going on it wont let me post any pictures says something about the security, someone suggested photobucket, so tomorrow I will sort it out :)

Post pictures where Suzy...here when you try to upload on "Manage attachments?" That happens to me because the pics are too big.

I've been using photobucket since Jimbo told me about this site. You just save your pics to your computer and then download to photobucket. It's easy when you get used to it.

Looking forward to seeing your pics:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bez;1075523 wrote: This is a good website................

Heavens-Above Home Page

Oh, that's a nice site Bez...thank you.

Nasa sends me updates a few times a week....spaceweather is a good site...
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

hope this works :-6

Attached files

Bez

Post by Bez »

When I was driving home around 3pm this afternoon, the sun was going down and directly in front of me....it looked HUGE !
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

SuzyB;1075895 wrote: hope this works :-6

Oh Suzy:-4

Thank you for posting your moon pics on my thread. I especially love the 2nd one...looks like spacecraft... Aren't digital cameras great.:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bez;1076252 wrote: When I was driving home around 3pm this afternoon, the sun was going down and directly in front of me....it looked HUGE !

That happened to me also Bez...wasn't it a fabulous site. Once I saw the sun rising about the horizon of the ocean and it looked like a huge ball of fire. I thought it was a spaceship:yh_rotfl Another time, I was leaving for work early, going across the bridge and saw the moon setting...also on the holizon....It was so huge I had to pull over to take a lingering look....

I looked up why this phenonomenon happens....and here's the most reasonable reply on this site.....

Curious About Astronomy: Why does the Sun appear larger on the horizon than overhead?
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Kathy Ellen;1076484 wrote: Oh Suzy:-4

Thank you for posting your moom pics on my thread. I especially love the 2nd one...looks like spacecraft... Aren't digital cameras great.:-6

I took that with my phone, the quality is just so good:)

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Kathy Ellen;1074488 wrote: Ahhhhhhh, you must look at the sky tonight....There's a 3 way conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and the Crescent Moon....I can see it to the south of me in Noo Joisey. Everyone can see if...look for the Moon...It's beautiful...

Here's a pic I just took with my little Canon camera....:-6Click a few times on the pic...

Space Weather News for Monday, Dec. 1, 2008

http://spaceweather.com

When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look south. Beaming through the twilight is one of the prettiest things you'll ever see--a tight three-way conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and the crescent Moon. The event is visible from all parts of the world, even from light-polluted cities. People in New York and Hong Kong will see it just as clearly as astronomers watching from remote mountaintops. Only cloudy weather or a midnight sun (sorry Antarctica!) can spoil the show.

The great conjunction offers something extra to Europeans. For more than an hour on Monday evening, the crescent Moon will actually eclipse Venus. Astronomers call such an event a "lunar occultation." Venus emerging from the dark edge of the Moon is a remarkably beautiful sight.

Sky watchers across Europe will be able to see this happen.

Visit http://spaceweather.com for photos, webcasts and more information.

:) Hubby and I were fortunate enough to witness the sighting. I took pics as well, but they weren't as good as yours. It was cool!
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

along-for-the-ride;1076760 wrote: :) Hubby and I were fortunate enough to witness the sighting. I took pics as well, but they weren't as good as yours. It was cool!

Oh, I'm so glad you saw it Along...too many people looked but didn't see it. At the beach we had to look soon after dark as later on the planets seemed to move lower and more west....It is still beautiful...I'm watching it everynight about 6....:-6
dubs

Post by dubs »

Hello KE! I love this site...I got my own planetarium, for when it's cloudy out..:)

Stellarium

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

dubs;1076772 wrote: Hello KE! I love this site...I got my own planetarium, for when it's cloudy out..:)

Stellarium

Oh Dubsie:-4

Looks like you gave me some homework this weekend...This site is fabulous...

dubs

Post by dubs »

Kathy Ellen;1076786 wrote: Oh Dubsie:-4

Looks like you gave me some homework this weekend...This site is fabulous...

My pleasure sweetheart..Now if you scroll down that page, look at the bottom left where it says wiki..Click on homepage, then scroll down to extras....There's an educational resources bit, which I think would interest you...:D

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy Ellen;1074693 wrote: Here's a picture that a Romanian photographer caught of the moon eclipsing Venus.....

Here's what the photographer said....according to Spaceweather.com..

"I caught Venus just before it disappeared behind the dark edge of the Moon," he says. Venus remained hidden for more than an hour, then popped out again to form a spectacular triangle with Jupiter and Luna as opposing vertices. "What a very nice vision!"

Oh wow. What a shame it was really over cast here. :mad:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

OMG I saw this yesterday. The sky was totally cloudless, the weather was freezing cold, we were coming home late and looked up to see a sliver of bright silver moon, looking like a bright thumbnail edge and beneath it hung one bright twinkling star.

It was incredibly beautiful. It looked almost magical, it was so perfect.

Sorry to wax lyrical and sorry to say we only saw the one star, but it was still an incredibly beautiful moment. :)
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Sorry, too many 'brights'. :o But against the dark sky it really was so bright it just lit up the night sky.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Everyone,

The crescent moon is approaching Venus for a conjunction soon. Look southwest for the next few nights. It sounds lovely:-6 I see it right now....It's gorgeous.....Venus is southeast of the moon....

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I'm going outside to see it!:)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

WOW...I just went outside and saw 10 meteorites passing by...

Return to “Space and Astronomy”