What movies have you seen lately?

ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

yeah.. i was talking about the Bee movie not step-brothers.. she's wayy to young for that one. LOL
Lon

Post by Lon »

I saw two matinees this week, one good and one bad.

"When Was The Last Time You Saw Your Father"------GOOD

"The Day The Earth Stood Still"---------------BAD
Odie

Post by Odie »

ButterflyPrincess;1085011 wrote: yeah.. i was talking about the Bee movie not step-brothers.. she's wayy to young for that one. LOL

I know it was the bee movie........excellent choice she made!

I meant she is still little, at the adorable age.:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
sibyl

Post by sibyl »

I usually watch DVDs so I'm always behind on current movies! This past weekend, I watched "Rumor Has It" starring Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner. It was amusing and watchable which is really all I ask of the romantic comedy genre.

I have "Happy Gilmore" to watch next weekend. I told you I was behind!

sibyl
Odie

Post by Odie »

sibyl;1102604 wrote: I usually watch DVDs so I'm always behind on current movies! This past weekend, I watched "Rumor Has It" starring Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner. It was amusing and watchable which is really all I ask of the romantic comedy genre.

I have "Happy Gilmore" to watch next weekend. I told you I was behind!

sibyl

I`ve seen Rumour has it`, hey, in my mind, anything with Kevin Costner is fabulous!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

He looked good!:-5:-5
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

i know it is not a new movie. But new to me. I saw S.W.A.T. For a cop movie it was really pretty good.
lovemyway

Post by lovemyway »

ghost town

nick and norah's infinite playlist

the lucky ones
Odie

Post by Odie »

Grilled......don't waste your time and money.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Quantum of Solace, Slumdog Millionaire, Roman de Gare, I've Loved You so Long, Burn after Reading.

All very good !!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Lon

Post by Lon »

I saw Australia the other evening and it is one worst movies I have ever seen. What a shame because Oz has such a rich history and I hope people do not judge Australia by this movie. There were so many rotten scenes and over acting, I can't begin to describe them. See for yourself. The only redeeming parts of the movie were the 10 year old Aboriginal boy and some of the scenery.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I've heard similar stories, Lon! Haven't seen it. The best report I heard was that it was a romantic yarn, a bit like Gone With The Wind. And similarly longwinded.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

texphotogal

Post by texphotogal »

Over the last few days I have watched! Wall-E, thought it was kinda cute. Traitor, it was alright. Eagle Eye...that was a good movie and yesturday I watched Vantage Point....good movie.
Odie

Post by Odie »

texphotogal;1105311 wrote: Over the last few days I have watched! Wall-E, thought it was kinda cute. Traitor, it was alright. Eagle Eye...that was a good movie and yesturday I watched Vantage Point....good movie.

ohhhhhhhhhh I want to see Wall-E!:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

AussiePam;1078948 wrote: I saw "Burn After Reading" last night, the Coen Brothers latest. Slightly Fargo-esque and fun, in a black kind of way. Has anyone else seen it?

I did. I fell asleep and didnt feel compelled to pick up where I left off.

I was surprised at Clooney, he was fairly funny. Brad Pitt tries too hard. I thought he was reprising his Seven Monkies character.

I also watched God Forgot About Us (?)

Interesting documentary about 27,000 Sudanese boys forced to flee their country during war. They walked 1000 miles to Ethiopia and settled but after war broke out there another 1000 miles to the Kenyan border where they were met by the Red Cross that helped them settle.

Some of the boys were as young as 5 when they left Sudan and only about half made it.

The rest were buried along the trail.

After several years in Kenya some American charity groups organized for some of the boys to relocate to cities in America.

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Syracuse...

They had never lived with electricity, plumbing, refrigerators etc. All modern conveniences were foreign to them and they had to be schooled in the most fundamental acts.

Nomad gives it 4 popcorn kernels.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Equilibrium....rather weird !

Final Destination 3..............weird and brutal (lots of blood)

Mama Mia......quite funny....good to sing along to
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Righteous Kill w/ Pacino & DeNiro

Sucks...no kernels
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I cant remember the name of the movie but it was good.

Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton were in it as well as some other people. It wasnt the one where the plane crashed and they found money it was another one.

I give it 3 1/2 popcorn kernels.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Barman

Post by Barman »

Watched "Hancock" this week, highly entertaining. "Thirty Days of Night" last week, highly frightening, i loved it.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Leave me alone;1116960 wrote: Watched "Hancock" this week, highly entertaining. "Thirty Days of Night" last week, highly frightening, i loved it.

Hancock was just amazing!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Leave me alone;1116960 wrote: Watched "Hancock" this week, highly entertaining. "Thirty Days of Night" last week, highly frightening, i loved it.

Youre kind of stealing my thunder.

I just gave the movie I saw a review worthy of 3 1/2 popcorn kernels and you posted too soon about a completely different movie. The two have nothing to do with eachother and now no one will see my review.

You didnt even give your movies a rating or a synopsis or anything.

Im not saying it will happen to you but sometimes when people do bad things they burn in hell for eternity.
I AM AWESOME MAN
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Burn After Reading.

Very good movie, very different.
Barman

Post by Barman »

Nomad;1116956 wrote: I cant remember the name of the movie but it was good.

Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton were in it as well as some other people. It wasnt the one where the plane crashed and they found money it was another one.

I give it 3 1/2 popcorn kernels.

Hey, wow, look at these.;) Ok Nomad.:D
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Leave me alone;1116985 wrote: Hey, wow, look at these.;) Ok Nomad.:D

Oh sure...bring that up why dont you !

Ill have you know I am kind of a professional film critic.

No I havent been to the French Riviera or Sundance but my skills are above reproach.

I have real popcorn kernels I use for rating movies and animated popping popcorn and movie ticket stubs that slide out. Ive got all kinds of tricks you dont know anything about.

Maybe that review was done that way for a reason. Didnt think of that did you ?

You bastard !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Barman

Post by Barman »

Nomad;1116991 wrote: Oh sure...bring that up why dont you !

Ill have you know I am kind of a professional film critic.

No I havent been to the French Riviera or Sundance but my skills are above reproach.

I have real popcorn kernels I use for rating movies and animated popping popcorn and movie ticket stubs that slide out. Ive got all kinds of tricks you dont know anything about.

Maybe that review was done that way for a reason. Didnt think of that did you ?

You bastard !

Hmm i suppose being a kind of a professional film critic means you watch films and sort of say things about them. Like whether there was anything good in it. I see where you are coming from now.

Before i watch any films in future i will be sure to check with you first, make sure it is a worth watching kind of film.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Leave me alone;1117004 wrote: Hmm i suppose being a kind of a professional film critic means you watch films and sort of say things about them. Like whether there was anything good in it. I see where you are coming from now.

Before i watch any films in future i will be sure to check with you first, make sure it is a worth watching kind of film.

Look all Im saying is you need some props. Some sizzle and sass.

Dont even think about pilfering my popping corn but get out there and find some sass that has your name all over it. Own it.

If you want to get film goers all worked up about a movie you have to sell it.

Work the crowd man.

And yes myself being a professional critic is mainly saying stuff but what really works is what I dont say.

Example: Pineapple Express...

See the simplistic beauty in that ?

Its dead on journalism.

People cant get enough of that.

Your in the big house now, the Grummans Chinese Theatre of critic-ing.

Lets see what you can do. Go get em tiger !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Now this is the kind of dazzle people are looking for !

I get fan mail all the time on this.

Dear Nomad, I love your popping popcorn !

Nomad, That popcorn is really making me hungry, does it come with butter ?

Nomie, I cant stand it...Im going to run out and get the movie you recommended right now. The popcorn is just over the top. The whole family is mesmerized.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Barman

Post by Barman »

Nomad;1117017 wrote: Now this is the kind of dazzle people are looking for !

I get fan mail all the time on this.

NOW i have a goal.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I saw "Gran Torino" yesterday and as always, enjoyed a Clint Eastwood film. It was a well done story and was Clint's last acting performance I understand. I't interesting to me to watch him age over the years as he and I went to the same high school in Oakland, California. I did not know him personally as he was one year ahead of me.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1117037 wrote: I saw "Gran Torino" yesterday and as always, enjoyed a Clint Eastwood film. It was a well done story and was Clint's last acting performance I understand. I't interesting to me to watch him age over the years as he and I went to the same high school in Oakland, California. I did not know him personally as he was one year ahead of me.

Did you like it ?

It was ok, I was expecting more maybe because of the hype. There were some quality characters, I loved the neighbors.

It was very un-Clint to make that kind of sacrifice in the end.

Nice car too. Used to have a gold 72 w/ a white vinyl top. 351 Cleveland in it.

Funny cars they were really cushy inside but sporty and a powerhouse.

Never see them anymore.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mall Cop with Kevin James

really stupid:-5:-5
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Odie;1136636 wrote: Mall Cop with Kevin James

really stupid:-5:-5

Went to that yesterday and the kids loved it!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

The grown ups were laughing too..

What gets me, is folks are going back multiple times to watch it.. first thing my daughter said when we walked out was that we have to buy it when it comes out on DVD..:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Watched The Secret Life of Bees on Saturday night. Excellent movie and very moving.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Idgie;1136741 wrote: I watched that last weekend, even read the book. Good movie too.

I have been going with the movies that you and Kathy ellen recommend. I read Fried Green Tomatoes last summer...so different than the movie. I read it in 2 days, couldn't put it down.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Saw three new films last week.

SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE------Good film---------great soundtrack

VALKYRIE-------Not bad------Not one of Tom Cruise's best

CHANGELING--------Good film----Clint Eastwood scores another winner
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Just watched Big Momma's House and Live Free or Die Hard last night. I give them both an A+.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Lon;1136794 wrote: Saw three new films last week.

SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE------Good film---------great soundtrack

VALKYRIE-------Not bad------Not one of Tom Cruise's best

CHANGELING--------Good film----Clint Eastwood scores another winner

And you missed the Retarded Ninja's?:p
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Love your green duck. :-4 Lucky Ducky..:yh_shamrk
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1136809 wrote: Love your green duck. :-4 Lucky Ducky..:yh_shamrk

Holiday changing time.:wah:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

We did a Harry Potter marathon at our house two weekends ago.. they were great! I loved the books and the movies have managed to capture the imagination of my little one.:-6

We got these on sale at wally world after christmas, so if anyone wants to borrow, let me know.. we have all 5.:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Odie

Post by Odie »

JAB;1136921 wrote: I saw Bolt this past Thanksgiving. I don't get out much....! :wah:

ours are all rented!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

JAB;1136996 wrote: Ya know; when I was cleaning earlier today, I looked through my DVD collection (limited tho it may be) and realized I haven't watched half of them. Why? Partly cuz I'm here and partly cuz when I'm not here, I'm usually reading. Watching movies is further down the list of things to do.

WE started watching movies and knitting at christmas time so that we'd be spending time together doing something at night..

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

AMC is having a Oscars month so we just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Some like it Hot. The last one was in black and white and had Marilyn Monroe in it. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw one of the outfits she was wearing and it was a movie from 1959!

Here is what Roger Ebert states about her performance:

Consider her solo of "I Wanna Be Loved by You." The situation is as basic as it can be: a pretty girl standing in front of an orchestra and singing a song. Monroe and Wilder turn it into one of the most mesmerizing and blatantly sexual scenes in the movies. She wears that clinging, see-through dress, gauze covering the upper slopes of her breasts, the neckline scooping to a censor's eyebrow north of trouble. Wilder places her in the center of a round spotlight that does not simply illuminate her from the waist up, as an ordinary spotlight would, but toys with her like a surrogate neckline, dipping and clinging as Monroe moves her body higher and lower in the light with teasing precision. It is a striptease in which nudity would have been superfluous. All the time she seems unaware of the effect, singing the song innocently, as if she thinks it's the literal truth. To experience that scene is to understand why no other actor, male or female, has more sexual chemistry with the camera than Monroe.
spot

Post by spot »

Lon;1136794 wrote: Saw three new films last week.

SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE------Good film---------great soundtrackA bit feelgood but yes, well done everyone who made it.

Benjamin Button, on the other hand, is completely pointless.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

I watched The Brothers Grimm this week and it's perfect, right down to the reworked forest camera perspectives out of Jabberwocky. But how anyone talked Matt Damon into impersonating Eddie Izzard I can't imagine, he got uncannily close.

I finally worked out why people thought Heath Ledger might have ended up a competent film actor too. He wasn't right but he wasn't entirely wrong either, he might have got it eventually. Every other performance I've seen him give stank.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1137597 wrote: I watched The Brothers Grimm this week and it's perfect, right down to the reworked forest camera perspectives out of Jabberwocky. But how anyone talked Matt Damon into impersonating Eddie Izzard I can't imagine, he got uncannily close.

I finally worked out why people thought Heath Ledger might have ended up a competent film actor too. He wasn't right but he wasn't entirely wrong either, he might have got it eventually. Every other performance I've seen him give stank.

Thats interesting because I thought he was quite remarkable as the Joker in the Dark Night. I loved him in that. Truly menacing

Other films I've seen and enjoyed over the last few months and all for different reasons......

Prestige

Departed

Wanted

Escapist
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”