Do you tip? Or are you a meanie??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

MR OSCAR HAS ASKED ME TO PUT THIS THREAD ON FOR HIM.

Since recovering from his open surgergy, which has been a long haul, he has taken a demotion to that of a delivery driver for fast foof, pizza etc.

You know what these men are like??? He should not really even be working at all with the cancer.

He should be at home resting but has never been out of work and want's to contribute to the home.

He works eight hours at night for 3 nights a week. Even in the credit crunch, poeple are still ordering uo to £50 worth of pizza. frie's, burgers an kebabs, etc.

He gets paid by the hour, it's his own cars wear and tear and his own fuel.

Within, 30 minutes of the customer phoning the order in, there is a driver on their doorstep with freshly cooked food.

He had an order last week for £99.95p. They gave him £100 in notes and told him to keep the change to which he said "No, please, i insist, you keep it!!!"

All the delivery drivers there find the same problem.

Do you tip delivery guys and why????
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

I always tip delivery people, its just out of courtesy!

They get paid minimum wage, use their own vehicles and gas, they are delivering to me, so its my way of thanking them!

what has really gotten me upset now......is all places now 'charge for delivery', so that is now on your bill.......so who gets in on this and spreads the wealth around, the driver does not see it.......and it does not cost the restaurant..........the driver has his very own vehicle and he has to put out of his pocket the gas he uses:-5

Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1030257 wrote: I always tip delivery people, its just out of courtesy!

They get paid minimum wage, use their own vehicles and gas, they are delivering to me, so its my way of thanking them!

what has really gotten me upset now......is all places now 'charge for delivery', so that is now on your bill.......so who gets in on this and spreads the wealth around, the driver does not see it.......and it does not cost the restaurant..........the driver has his very own vehicle and he has to put out of his pocket the gas he uses:-5

Absolutely right.

At hubby's joint, there is no delivery charge, it's the same as if they bought it in the shop.

What is even more annoying, is that if it's a regular customer, the boss will always throw in an extra pizza or frie's for them for free as it is. :-5:-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1030266 wrote: Absolutely right.

At hubby's joint, there is no delivery charge, it's the same as if they bought it in the shop.

What is even more annoying, is that if it's a regular customer, the boss will always throw in an extra pizza or frie's for them for free as it is. :-5:-5

you always go a mile for a regular customer who comes in faithfully, learnt that when I was a manager at McDonalds, companies value their regulars....its what keeps the restaurant in business, you scratch my balls, I'll scratch yours!:wah:
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1030270 wrote: you always go a mile for a regular customer who comes in faithfully, learnt that when I was a manager at McDonalds, companies value their regulars....its what keeps the restaurant in business, you scratch my balls, I'll scratch yours!:wah:

We had a real nasty customer once, got himself barred in the end. He was so rude to the drivers. The boss said to him one day on the phone after he insulted a muslim driver........ Sir, the wrong thing to do is upset the guy who has your dinner in the back of his car for 20 minutes before you get it!!! :wah::wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1030275 wrote: We had a real nasty customer once, got himself barred in the end. He was so rude to the drivers. The boss said to him one day on the phone after he insulted a muslim driver........ Sir, the wrong thing to do is upset the guy who has your dinner in the back of his car for 20 minutes before you get it!!! :wah::wah:

damn right, who here now sends their food back that is cold, not what you ordered etc.............

we know damn well what they do in the back with it!:-5
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1030284 wrote: damn right, who here now sends their food back that is cold, not what you ordered etc.............

we know damn well what they do in the back with it!:-5

I have to admit that Mr Oscar is the meanie on tipping. he always tipps but not as much as me.

We often have chinese or Indian delivered.

I can always imagine the driver ringing our bell thinking "Please let it be the wife who answers the door.

Hubby hands over a £1...... they get £4 every time off me.

You can see their face fall when hubby goes to the door.

His arguement is that if everyone gave them a quid, they would be happy, but the truth is they don't.
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

I always tip well.

IMO if you don't want to tip, then cook your own dinner. It is dishonorable not to tip. Unfortunately the system is that the employer pays part of the driver's wages and the customer pays part of the driver's wages.

You are hiring someone to bring you food. If you have any self respect you will make sure to pay the person well.
Odie

Post by Odie »

wildhorses;1030290 wrote: I always tip well.

IMO if you don't want to tip, then cook your own dinner. It is dishonorable not to tip. Unfortunately the system is that the employer pays part of the driver's wages and the customer pays part of the driver's wages.

You are hiring someone to bring you food. If you have any self respect you will make sure to pay the person well.

I agree!
Oscar Namechange

wildhorses;1030290 wrote: I always tip well.

I agree.

I work for my brother who has a bookie's stand at race-courses.

If a punter has had a good win all through the card all afternoon, the tips are really good. I take the bets and do the pay out.

At the Cheltenham Gold cup earlier in the year, i was taking bets from an infamous British celeb all afternoon. He lost all the way through the afternoon but as he left he gave me £50. I won't say his name but he's the front man for a British band called 'babyshambles'.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

If I get good service I tip.

It is not done very much here but I like to tip.

I used to work behind the bar & I still ;)
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

I tip people, but not as much as hubby does...he over tips most of the time and now he asks me beforehand how much he should give them. :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

I don't like tipping. I used to find it degrading when I was on the receiving end-touch your forelock and say thank you- and find it degrading to tip someone for doing what they're being paid to do anyway. Restaurants and the like use it as an excuse to pay low wages. Fair days work for a fair days pay. In restaurants especially when you know the mark up on the food I'm buggered if I'm going to subsidise the employee just to make the owner wealthier.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I always tip food delivery as I do waiters/waitresses because they are serving me and neither I nor anyone is so important they need to be served. So its an appreciatory thing.

But what do you do about florists and others who may come to your door with stuff? Do you tip them too?? :confused:
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i was reading in the papers a while back about some top restaurants that were keeping the tips? the ones that were paying by credit card etc. cant remember which ones, (sometimes i have a terrible habit of skimming while reading) Anyway, i usually always tip and i would be most annoyed if that waiter/waitress didnt receive it:mad:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

In better days I tipped well. Always got great service too. Goes hand in hand.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

hoppy;1030505 wrote: In better days I tipped well. Always got great service too. Goes hand in hand.

Thats very true:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Violetmay

Post by Violetmay »

I tip if I get good service. If food is delivered to our house, in good time, by a polite delivery person, I tip. If it's dumped in my hands and the fee demanded no. In a restaurant, a good waiter/ess gets a good tip.
Wibble
Peg

Post by Peg »

Being a bartender, I overtip. I tip everyone. If the food is being delivered to your home, you KNOW the person is getting their tips and they're not being taken by the owner. My theory is if I tip well, they are going to make darn sure my food gets here hot and the non-tipper can eat their food cold. :wah:
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1030383 wrote: I don't like tipping. I used to find it degrading when I was on the receiving end-touch your forelock and say thank you- and find it degrading to tip someone for doing what they're being paid to do anyway. Restaurants and the like use it as an excuse to pay low wages. Fair days work for a fair days pay. In restaurants especially when you know the mark up on the food I'm buggered if I'm going to subsidise the employee just to make the owner wealthier.

Or is that because you're a Scottish tight wad????????:wah::wah:

I know what you mean about resturants but as i said in the begining of the thread, these drivers use their own car and fuel. yes, they get paid an hourly wage but if they have a busy night and long distance one's the fuel can take half their money.

The shop is open for people to go and get their food themselve's and they pay the same price in the shop.... delivery is free..

Most people don't want to come out of their nice comfy homes in the rain and drive up there. Later in the night, if they have had a few beers, they can't drive up there.

When we have a delivery, chinese or Indian, i'm just so gratefull that i don't have to go out in the cold in the car and queue up in the shop that i tip big time when they get here. If you chat to other customers, you find the one's who don't tip, end up waiting longer for their food. :thinking::thinking:

What gets me, is the muslim guys always end up with more tips than my hubby and he's the only one who's british out of the lot of them :wah:
Cow Patty

Post by Cow Patty »

When I order pizza the total is around $15-18, I give the driver $4 tip. When I go out to eat I give the server 20%.

One of the pizza joints here is charging a $2 delivery fee now, one of the delivery drivers told me he gets $1 of it.
Oscar Namechange

Cow Patty;1030631 wrote: When I order pizza the total is around $15-18, I give the driver $4 tip. When I go out to eat I give the server 20%.

One of the pizza joints here is charging a $2 delivery fee now, one of the delivery drivers told me he gets $1 of it.

That's what annoys me here. All the other places that deliver food charge 10% delivery. My hubby's place is so bust because they don't charge delivery.

The cheek of some people. He has got to a house with other deliverie's waiting in the car to go on else-where, and he's had the home-owner ask him if he'll nip up the garage and get them ciggerettes. They treat him like a meanie when he says no, i have other people waiting. Selfish. I don't want my food cold because the driver has gone off on an errand for another customer.

I was helping out in there one night taking the orders on the phone and a woman asked if the driver would go next door to the supermarket and get them some desserts!!!!!! Really?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Here goes and I'm sure I'm going to get some flak for it but......my daughter's friends worked in a restaurant on the boardwalk and were waitresses. Guess who the worst tippers were? Canadians
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1030660 wrote: Here goes and I'm sure I'm going to get some flak for it but......my daughter's friends worked in a restaurant on the boardwalk and were waitresses. Guess who the worst tippers were? Canadians

No, it's got to be the Scottish and Irish...... We're in big trouble now!!! :wah::wah::wah::wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1030663 wrote: No, it's got to be the Scottish and Irish...... We're in big trouble now!!! :wah::wah::wah::wah:

I did ask them who the best tippers were and they said most Americans but that Indians were #2 in the worst tipping.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

we always tip well. :)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

sunny104;1030667 wrote: we always tip well. :)

So do we. Most restaurants will charge a gratuity fee for parties that are more than 6 people. By accident, we tipped twice at one place as hubs didn't see the charge. Oh well, she was a great waitress:wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”