AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by along-for-the-ride »

ZAP;1469843 wrote: Beautiful poem, AFTR. Thank you.

Hello Zap! How have you been? :)

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by ZAP »

I've been well, thank you. I hope you're the same. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

:) ;)

The Moment I Decided Christmas Was the Most Horrid Holiday�|�Lisa Abeyta

Merry Christmas!

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

24 Motivational Prints to Inspire a Fresh New Year

"Life is a beautiful ride"
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Happy New Year 2015! :-4

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Horoscopes

Leo

7/23-8/22

You could be counting your chickens before they hatch, even if you're not receiving much positive feedback today. You have temporarily stepped off the emotional roller-coaster and you're finally getting your bearings. Make use of the current calm by integrating the wild ups and downs you recently experienced rather than stirring up new excitement. Although there is great potential for this to be a day of relaxation, don't forget to buckle up; there will still be more thrills before your ride is actually over.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

The 15 Songs That Defined the Boomer Generation | Next Avenue

Do you agree?
ZAP

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by ZAP »

along-for-the-ride;1471115 wrote: The 15 Songs That Defined the Boomer Generation | Next Avenue

Do you agree?

While I agree with some of the artists chosen, I have other songs done by them that I prefer. I learned something while checking out Martha and the Vandellas, that Ivy Joe Hunter wrote the song. I thought surely they meant Ivory Joe Hunter who was a favorite Blues singer of mine but no--Ivy did the songwriting.

Happy birthday Elvis!
LarsMac

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LarsMac »

It is hard to argue with most of those choices. Though I'd think Otis Reading's "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" should be on that list.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Every time I hear this song, I think of the times my sister and I hung out as single gals. I did get married a few months after this photo was taken...to a guy my sister introduced me to. At the end of the year, I was a new mom.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

"January is the quietest month in the garden. ... But just because it looks quiet doesn't mean that nothing is happening. The soil, open to the sky, absorbs the pure rainfall while microorganisms convert tilled-under fodder into usable nutrients for the next crop of plants. The feasting earthworms tunnel along, aerating the soil and preparing it to welcome the seeds and bare roots to come."

- Rosalie Muller Wright, Editor of Sunset Magazine, 1/99

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

45 Life Lessons Written by a "90-Year-Old" Woman

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

DEAR ABBY: I'm a happily married man with a great family that's mostly grown.

In high school I was infatuated with a girl, "Stacy," who was the center of attention, especially from the guys. As seniors we were close, but we never dated. When I left for college, we lost track.

In college I became involved with the woman who would become my wife. Before our wedding, I was at a friend's wedding, and Stacy and I danced several dances. Our chemistry was electric. I nearly broke up with my fiancee to see if Stacy and I could get together, but common sense prevailed.

At our 25th reunion, I saw Stacy again. She looked as good as ever. She is also happily married with a family. She gave me a hug that lasted a little too long, but was every bit as electric as our dance back then. Now I'm wondering what I have missed. Was the hug a signal or just the affectionate embrace of a good friend?

I'm afraid to contact her because I don't want to ruin my reputation or hers. We live in different states. Even if there is a spark there, I'm not sure we could sustain a relationship. But how do I get her off my mind? I'm tortured by the memories of the dance and the hug. -- ROMANTIC TEXAN

DEAR ROMANTIC: Let common sense prevail again and quit playing with fire before someone gets burned. The next letter may offer you some insight:

DEAR ABBY: My ex-wife of more than 30 years reconnected with an old love from college through a social website. I was OK with it until I noticed she was getting obsessed with his chats. She kept saying they were just old friends and I should trust her.

It went on for months, until one day she forgot to close her chat session. It was obvious she regretted not marrying him and was reliving her past. We discussed it and I kept hearing, "Trust me, we're only fantasizing." It went downhill from there. We went through marriage counseling, but nothing changed.

What I learned through counseling is that an emotional affair may do more damage than an in-person one. While I thought I had a great marriage, she was thinking about what might have been with her first love. She wouldn't end the relationship and finally we divorced.

That was three years ago. He separated from his wife, and they lived together until she found out he wasn't the same person in real life that he was online or how she thought she remembered him from their youth. It didn't last, and he went back to his wife. My ex was sorry for what happened and wanted a second chance with me, but it was too late.

I'm now married to a wonderful woman I trust completely. My ex lost all she had except her memories of the 30 happy years we had together.

People need to understand how dangerous an emotional affair can be. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Old flames change from who they were in their youth, and an online fling can be disastrous. -- R.B. IN MASSACHUSETTS

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I couldn't resist adding these photos today:

Wildlife on the road

I've seen elk and wild turkey crossing the road.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

The ultimate USA road trip

Attached files
LarsMac

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LarsMac »

Nice places there, AFTR.

We have been to most of them.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I've never been out west, LarsMac. Looks like some interesting places.

DEAR ABBY: I like my job a lot, but I have recently been assigned a different desk. I now sit next to someone who regularly draws his blood with a lancet and gives himself a shot for his diabetes just a foot away from me.

I am extremely uncomfortable around blood and needles. I don't want to make waves because this person has been here a lot longer than I have, and apparently, no one has ever been bothered by it.

Am I being silly? Would it be improper to ask my supervisor to move me? Moving desks is a big enough deal that I will have to give a reason. Help. -- SQUEAMISH IN GREAT FALLS, MONT.

DEAR SQUEAMISH: Because the sight of blood and needles makes you uncomfortable, discuss this with your supervisor ASAP. While these are procedures many people with diabetes must attend to on a daily basis, you shouldn't have to watch if you don't want to.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I do draw blood with a lancet everyday, but I do this in the mornings at home before I go to work. I do not have to take shots, but I do take my medication in the privacy of my home. Two thoughts come to mind. I think squeamish needs to change his/her views, because he/she may one day be put in an emergency situation during which blood and needles are involved. Also, the diabetic could go to the employee restroom for his routine if he needs to attend to this during the workday.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Just in case nobody else says this to you today.........................:)

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

DEAR ABBY: My 7-year-old granddaughter, "Kelly," wanted a dollhouse for Christmas. I had a friend build a basic frame, shingled roof, chimney and shutters, then I decorated it.

I did everything by hand. I wallpapered each room, made little rugs and crocheted lace curtains. There were even little window shades. Kelly's room was a perfect princess bedroom. It took weeks, but I loved working on it.

The family came for five days over the holidays. Kelly loved her dollhouse and played with it every day. When it came time to leave, my daughter told Kelly she couldn't take it with her. She had to leave it at Grandma's "so she would have something to play with when she came to visit." Kelly was heartbroken. So was I.

Then my daughter told me (in private) the dollhouse was "too amateurish," which was why she didn't want it in her home. I think about it all the time and don't know how to get past it. Any advice? -- HURT GRANDMA

DEAR HURT: You appear to be a loving grandparent. Sometimes people say things without weighing the effect it will have on the person they're talking to. What your daughter said may have been honest, but it was extremely insensitive in light of the time, effort and love that went into that gift.

Your daughter appears to be more fixated on appearances rather than what's really important in life. What is sad to me is that she may pass along her skewed sense of values to your granddaughter.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Doug Larson

Attached files
FourPart

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by FourPart »

along-for-the-ride;1472905 wrote: A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Doug Larson
A perfect description. I'll have to remember that one.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

If you truly get in touch with a piece of carrot, you get in touch with the soil, the rain, the sunshine. You get in touch with Mother Earth and eating in such a way, you feel in touch with true life, your roots, and that is meditation. If we chew every morsel of our food in that way we become grateful and when you are grateful, you are happy.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Mary Mary quite contrary,

How does your garden grow?

With silver bells and cockle shells

And pretty maids all in a row.

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

DEAR ABBY: While driving with my son when he was in fifth or sixth grade, I spotted a bumper sticker on the car ahead of us at a stoplight. It had the "My child is an honor student" message with his school's name on it. I said to him, in a not-too-subtle hint about his grades, "I'd like to have a bumper sticker like that to put on my car, too."

I realized he was developing a wicked sense of humor when he replied, "I'll see if I can steal you one." It's one of my favorite memories. -- OH, THE MEMORIES IN LA GRANGE, N.C.

DEAR MEMORIES: Funny! And what has he become? A lawyer, a politician or a comedian?

:wah:

Do you have one on your vehicle?

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Which version do you prefer?
LarsMac

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LarsMac »

Gotta go with Ol' Charley's version.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I'm with you, LarsMac.

Which version?
LarsMac

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LarsMac »

1. Johnny Rivers

2. Peter Paul and Mary

The other two, eh.

But I think this is my all time favorite version

- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Why I Still Can't Bring Myself To Fart Or Burp Around My Spouse�|�Treva Brandon

:thinking::wah:

Hubby and I joke about "that frog that's in the room".
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

The Red Bird

The red bird, decorated with a silvery feather

Sings a song, for no one in all weather;

Plaintive it sounds, this song for no one;

Still the notes sink our hearts, one by one,

Into that world that belongs to no one but imprisons every heart

The Red Bird is perched atop, plays and sings, without bothered about its part

Rover Shanya

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

"One More Cup Of Coffee"

Your breath is sweet

Your eyes are like two jewels in the sky

Your back is straight your hair is smooth

On the pillow where you lie

But I don't sense affection

No gratitude or love

Your loyalty is not to me

But to the stars above

One more cup of coffee for the road

One more cup of coffee 'fore I go.

To the valley below.

Your daddy he's an outlaw

And a wanderer by trade

He'll teach you how to pick and choose

And how to throw the blade

He oversees his kingdom

So no stranger does intrude

His voice it trembles as he calls out

For another plate of food.

To the valley below.

Your sister sees the future

Like your mama and yourself

You've never learned to read or write

There's no books upon your shelf

And your pleasure knows no limits

Your voice is like a meadowlark

But your heart is like an ocean

Mysterious and dark.

To the valley below.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Do you agree?

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

15 Different Kinds of Love:

Infatuation- loving feelings towards a love object that are largely based upon fantasy and idealization (instead of experience). Often when partners get to know each other, infatuation diminishes.

Romantic Love- An abiding love for a partner with whom you feel passion, attraction, caring and respect.

Eros- a passionate love usually involving sexual feelings for a love interest.

Companionate Love- feelings of warmth towards a friend with whom you love to spend time

Unconditional Love- A type of affection and caring that is so strong that you feel it consistently, regardless of what that other person does

Conditional Love- A love that requires specific action or conditions in order to be maintained. For example, at its extreme, a parent who gives very conditional love would only love his child when he gets straight A’s, becomes a surgeon and has two children. The love is based on outside conditions and when they do not occur, the love is withdrawn.

Puppy Love- A childish, innocent temporary crush on someone that you don’t know well.

Maternal Love- This term usually connotes love that is nurturing, accepting and protective. In actuality this love can also be given by a father etc.

Paternal Love- This term connotes love that involves guidance and some authority. Paternal love usually prepares a child to be ready for the outside world. Again, in reality this type of love is not gender specific.

Soulmate Love- This type of love is described as a love that has survived multiple life times. Not everyone believes in this concept.

Spiritual/Divine Love- This type of love recognizes the Divine light in everyone and everything. Love is given to everyone as an act of loving God.

Love of your country or patriotism- This is love for the place you live or the place that were born. It is a type of loyalty and a special feeling of belonging that you attribute to that specific geographic location.

Self-Love- This is a positive feeling that you have about who you are and what you deserve. It often is expressed by treating yourself well, respecting yourself, wanting yourself to be happy and expecting others to respect you too.

Brotherly Love- This term connotes having a feeling of love for your neighbor, because all humanity is considered to be part of a larger family of human beings.

Tough Love- This term is used to describe a love that is expressed by setting boundaries for the good of the other person. So for example, a parent may send their teenager to rehab if he is drug addicted, even if he does not want to go. They feel that this is an act of love because it stems from a desire for their son’s ultimate good and happiness."
LeeSung

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LeeSung »

along-for-the-ride;1473872 wrote: 15 Different Kinds of Love:

Infatuation- loving feelings towards a love object that are largely based upon fantasy and idealization (instead of experience). Often when partners get to know each other, infatuation diminishes.

Romantic Love- An abiding love for a partner with whom you feel passion, attraction, caring and respect.

Eros- a passionate love usually involving sexual feelings for a love interest.

Companionate Love- feelings of warmth towards a friend with whom you love to spend time

Unconditional Love- A type of affection and caring that is so strong that you feel it consistently, regardless of what that other person does

Conditional Love- A love that requires specific action or conditions in order to be maintained. For example, at its extreme, a parent who gives very conditional love would only love his child when he gets straight A’s, becomes a surgeon and has two children. The love is based on outside conditions and when they do not occur, the love is withdrawn.

Puppy Love- A childish, innocent temporary crush on someone that you don’t know well.

Maternal Love- This term usually connotes love that is nurturing, accepting and protective. In actuality this love can also be given by a father etc.

Paternal Love- This term connotes love that involves guidance and some authority. Paternal love usually prepares a child to be ready for the outside world. Again, in reality this type of love is not gender specific.

Soulmate Love- This type of love is described as a love that has survived multiple life times. Not everyone believes in this concept.

Spiritual/Divine Love- This type of love recognizes the Divine light in everyone and everything. Love is given to everyone as an act of loving God.

Love of your country or patriotism- This is love for the place you live or the place that were born. It is a type of loyalty and a special feeling of belonging that you attribute to that specific geographic location.

Self-Love- This is a positive feeling that you have about who you are and what you deserve. It often is expressed by treating yourself well, respecting yourself, wanting yourself to be happy and expecting others to respect you too.

Brotherly Love- This term connotes having a feeling of love for your neighbor, because all humanity is considered to be part of a larger family of human beings.

Tough Love- This term is used to describe a love that is expressed by setting boundaries for the good of the other person. So for example, a parent may send their teenager to rehab if he is drug addicted, even if he does not want to go. They feel that this is an act of love because it stems from a desire for their son’s ultimate good and happiness."

the last one really hits me i can relate on that one. just like what my parents did to me. i'm a drug addict and every day, of my life is like in the middle of a sea of fire. Poisoning my body slowly then my parents decided to take me to rehab at first i didn't listen to them maybe because im too scared and second i don't have any idea about rehabilitation some of my friends told me that it is not good. but for the sake of my parents i did lot's of research , i browsed numerous websites that holding information pertaining to addiction rehab, they are plenty of them then i found Rehabilitation Drug Program I retrieve some useful information though, from outpatient/inpatient treatment to intervention and detoxification of a patient. after that i decided to go to rehab. i just finish my treatment months ago and i am now back to my normal life.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

I am glad for you LeeSung. See...tough love can work. :)
LeeSung

AFTR's Daily Commute

Post by LeeSung »

yeah, sometime, hardway is not that bad. For me, you can learn more if you choose rough road instead of going smoothly without any problem at all.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

For the character of Mary Bee Cuddy from the the movie, "The Homesman"
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

“Pioneers may be picturesque figures, but they are often rather lonely ones.”

Nancy Witcher Astor, Viscountess quotes (First woman to sit in the British House of Commons, 1879 - 1964)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

- Anonymous
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Years before he met me, Hubby was a lineman for awhile. One time when he was working up on the pole, a co-worker turned the power back on, Hubby got an electric shock and fell on his back. He had to be hospitalized for awhile. A dangerous job.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

DEAR ABBY: Help! Facebook is killing my social life. I am wondering if anyone else is having this experience.

I am a woman whose job requires me to be on the computer eight hours a day. The last thing I want after work is to go online. Before Facebook took over my social circle, this wasn't a problem. But now all my friends and family are on the site and pressuring me to do likewise.

Gradually, Facebook contact seems to be replacing real, physical get-togethers. Things that used to be done in person or over the phone are now all done on Facebook, and we rarely get together anymore. If I don't check Facebook, I am out of the loop.

If I suggest getting together, everyone is "busy" -- busy on Facebook, I guess. They aren't mad at me or avoiding me, they just want contact on their terms. Am I the only one having this problem? -- OLD-SCHOOL IN CHAMPAIGN, ILL.

DEAR OLD-SCHOOL: I'm sure you're not the only one. The Internet is supposed to be a tool to facilitate communication, not a substitute for real, flesh-and-blood relationships. If you can't work out a compromise with your friends and family -- say, one in-person visit a month -- you may have to cultivate some new relationships with other "old-school" people who also prefer face-to-face contact.
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

23 completely weird holidays in March

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Most influential women in modern history

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

“I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude.”

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

AFTR's Daily Commute

Let's go for a stroll..................

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”