Bullets without the bang

K.Snyder

Bullets without the bang

Post by K.Snyder »

How would you keep the entire infrastructure from melting within the process?...

They don't make axle grease like they used to but surely you'd something else in mind...
Bryn Mawr

Bullets without the bang

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;976458 wrote: How would you keep the entire infrastructure from melting within the process?...

They don't make axle grease like they used to but surely you'd something else in mind...

Liquid bearing as per a turbine if needs be - as long as you keep the weight in balance then 6,000 rpm is not outrageous. It's not reciprocating weight so the force on the bearing should not be too high - it's the force on the disk itself that has to be managed.
Bryn Mawr

Bullets without the bang

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;976424 wrote: It's marginal. It's 30cm out from the hub, not right out on the rim. It's... umm... a fifth of the power requirement of turning the disc, but it's a fifth of the energy requirement I already calculated, it's not extra. My initial power figure involves taking the bullets from a standstill, driving the feeder consumes 20% of it and the disc 80%.

I was figuring on 25cm - just far enough out to give you room to insert the bullet.

Too lazy to calculate the energy requirement but I did see it would be part of the overall figure - just after I hit send :-)
spot

Bullets without the bang

Post by spot »

Hoss;976854 wrote: I have two transmission flywheels staring me in the face right now. Those are perfectly balanced discs capable of 6000 rpm.

I was thinking last night that if you made the tube that fed the round an 'L' shape and continuous and the bullet a sphere, like an old ball shot then you could feed multiple rounds into the bottom, and hold them there by tension, then as it came to the 90 degree angle it would be set to fire, as the short end of the 'L' came around the speed developed would send the ball out of the tube. No need to make it 'grab the bullet'. You could eliminate a mechanism and simplify the design even further.

Would that work?

On a suitable scale you'd end up with something the size of a heavy backpack that could silently and instantly disintegrate passing flocks of pigeons at a hundred paces. We could sell a prototype to an enthusiastic park manager and get famous. Insuring the operator might be a problem.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
sunny104

Bullets without the bang

Post by sunny104 »

I think I just broke something in my frontal lobe trying to read this thread. :yh_silly :wah:
spot

Bullets without the bang

Post by spot »

spot hastily passes round knitting needles and a cardi pattern to show we're not really a bunch of lads fixated on extreme weaponry
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
sunny104

Bullets without the bang

Post by sunny104 »

spot;976976 wrote: spot hastily passes round knitting needles and a cardi pattern to show we're not really a bunch of lads fixated on extreme weaponry

I'll let you play with my BB gun. :D
spot

Bullets without the bang

Post by spot »

sunny104;976989 wrote: I'll let you play with my BB gun. :D

You sure know how to make a fellow go weak at the knees, sunny.
spot

Bullets without the bang

Post by spot »

I'll think about how to get each shot released at the same point in the circle so they all head in the same direction.

I was about to say wear eye protection but, thinking about it, just pray the barrel stays intact!
spot

Bullets without the bang

Post by spot »

Gearing up will lose you a lot of power, you need the main shaft at the required speed rather than a gear chain. If the power drill isn't getting you there then you have two choices that will increase your "muzzle velocity" - lengthen the barrel or increase the rate of spin. The only other tool you have which spins quicker is your router but if you have that imbalanced it'll tear your disc shaft apart. Routers have no speed control.

I'm following the experiments with a lot of interest, not just the results but the variations to get past each problem. You sound like you're having fun.

Return to “Warfare Military”