Need a little favour

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Musiclover89

Need a little favour

Post by Musiclover89 »

Ok i'm on UCAS just now which is a student website to help people get into Uni/College and at the personal statement section i cant think of a thing to write about myself :wah: and since i have freinds on FG i thought mayby they could give me a hand in what to write because i really havnt got a clue
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
G-man

Need a little favour

Post by G-man »

The personal statement should refer to your academic background in the field of study you are applying for, as well as future career objectives. Generally, a personal statement should be from 500 to 1,000 words. You should carefully consider what you write for this MusicLover.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

along-for-the-ride

Need a little favour

Post by along-for-the-ride »

ML is an aspiring musician who wants to come to the United States someday. He is also a nice guy. We like him. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Need a little favour

Post by Lon »

Musiclover89;939702 wrote: Ok i'm on UCAS just now which is a student website to help people get into Uni/College and at the personal statement section i cant think of a thing to write about myself :wah: and since i have freinds on FG i thought mayby they could give me a hand in what to write because i really havnt got a clue

I believe on one of your old posts you had mentioned that you were Gay. If that's the case, why not write about what it's like for a young man to grow up as a Gay person, difficulties, ostracism etc., and what your expectations are in getting a Uni education.
Musiclover89

Need a little favour

Post by Musiclover89 »

Lon;939727 wrote: I believe on one of your old posts you had mentioned that you were Gay. If that's the case, why not write about what it's like for a young man to grow up as a Gay person, difficulties, ostracism etc., and what your expectations are in getting a Uni education.

Great Idea Lon :D
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
Rapunzel

Need a little favour

Post by Rapunzel »

Your colour, religion and sexual orientation have nothing to do with it. You're competing against thousands of others for the course you want. If you don't get it right you'll end up getting a similar course - but not the one you really want - in clearing. You could easily end up at a different uni, on a different course and find yourself wondering how the heck you came to be doing something you're really not that happy with, in 18 months time.

Take the time now to write several drafts of what you want to say. They need to know why you want to do the course you've chosen, what led you to that choice and what particular qualifications and experience you have which are relevant to that course. Also, mentioning which direction you want your life to go in, how you're going to use your degree and how it will benefit your life and future career choices would make a good concluding paragraph.

Keep it relevant, keep it succinct and keep it on topic. They have literally thousands of these personal statements to read. If you waffle or fill it with irrelevancies yours will be chucked to the bottom of the pile. They need to see that you clearly have a vision for your future in a few short sentences. To be honest, if you're really not sure you would be better off working on your draft statement and then discussing it with your personal tutor at college (I know they're shut for the summer hols but they're also open every day for staff so you should be able to get hold of someone who can help). The draft will show your personal tutor that you have made the effort and s/he can then guide you on it (but they wont do it for you!)

Best of luck! :)
Rapunzel

Need a little favour

Post by Rapunzel »

PS. Keep it neat & tidy (it's better to type it as it gets photocopied and reduced, so clarity is important!) Use a spell-checker and I as a pronoun is always a capital better. They're picky about this stuff! ;)
Nomad

Need a little favour

Post by Nomad »

Emphasize your strengths achievments and aspirations.

Dig deep and be creative. Sell yourself.

Not your soul though, you might need that.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Need a little favour

Post by spot »

Rapunzel;940016 wrote: PS. Keep it neat & tidy (it's better to type it as it gets photocopied and reduced, so clarity is important!) Use a spell-checker and I as a pronoun is always a capital better. They're picky about this stuff! ;)

Example personal statement:My name is Josef Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili and I'm a passionate advocate of improving the living conditions of the average family. Too many starve while the rich flaunt the wealth they sweated from the working class. Once I'm prominent in national politics I'll nationalize the means of production into the hands of the workers themselves, I'll democratize the decision-making processes which allocate resources, I'll confiscate them as indolent luxuries for the few to provide better tools for those capable of manufacturing wealth for the nation itself. I can't do this without further education and I invite you to select me for a place at your Seminary where I can develop my mind and plan the revolution.Go on Rap, would that get me in or not?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Musiclover89

Need a little favour

Post by Musiclover89 »

Heres what i've got down so far

My name is Darren i am 19 years old and hugely in love with Music i live, breath, talk, wear Music its my life.

In 2007 as part of my work expereince on the at Clydebank College my work placement was in Sky Point Recording Studio and i loved every minuet of it, while i was there i learned abit about Midi Seuqencing, and how to edit sounds e.t.c it was very intresting and would love to take it that bit further and hopefully make it a Carrer option.

In my free time i am an aspiring Musican i play the Piano and i'm self taught so i have no idea what grade i'm at.
Rapunzel

Need a little favour

Post by Rapunzel »

spot;940067 wrote: Example personal statement:My name is Josef Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili and I'm a passionate advocate of improving the living conditions of the average family. Too many starve while the rich flaunt the wealth they sweated from the working class. Once I'm prominent in national politics I'll nationalize the means of production into the hands of the workers themselves, I'll democratize the decision-making processes which allocate resources, I'll confiscate them as indolent luxuries for the few to provide better tools for those capable of manufacturing wealth for the nation itself. I can't do this without further education and I invite you to select me for a place at your Seminary where I can develop my mind and plan the revolution.Go on Rap, would that get me in or not?

Hey Spotalicious, such a statement would undoubtedly win you a place at the university of your choice! :D They would consider you to be a future politician and probable Prime Minister! You'd definitely be a spin doctor for the neo-Tory government when it evolves, as you worked your way up the ladder of success to Tory leadership! Any anarchistic remarks would be considered a salute to your Russki-Polish roots (which of course would make you doubly acceptable as you are a member of a minority group in a forward-thinking and multi-cultural society). They would undoubtedly sing your praises as the english equivalent to Barack Obama until you showed your true colours, bombed the Parliamentary buildings, blew up the entire Royal family and handed leadership of the country over to the proletariat!

Until then . . . welcome to our country and please apply for all the assistance you feel you may need! :wah:
spot

Need a little favour

Post by spot »

Rapunzel;940731 wrote: blew up the entire Royal family and handed leadership of the country over to the proletariat!Exile will be sufficient so long as they take nothing with them. And who said anything about relinquishing leadership? The revolution needs continual guidance from the Leader.

It's got a serious-ish point though Darren, it's projecting to where you want to get rather than describing where you are, it shows insane determination and a complete refusal to allow anything to get in the way of achieving it. A personal statement is a manifesto. Is it convincing enough to get you elected?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Rapunzel

Need a little favour

Post by Rapunzel »

Musiclover89;940124 wrote: Heres what i've got down so far

My name is Darren i am 19 years old and hugely in love with Music i live, breath, talk, wear Music its my life.

In 2007 as part of my work expereince on the at Clydebank College my work placement was in Sky Point Recording Studio and i loved every minuet of it, while i was there i learned abit about Midi Seuqencing, and how to edit sounds e.t.c it was very intresting and would love to take it that bit further and hopefully make it a Carrer option.

In my free time i am an aspiring Musican i play the Piano and i'm self taught so i have no idea what grade i'm at.

Sorry hunny, that's not really what they're looking for! :(

They already know your name and age, it's on your application form.

Being in love with music tells them nothing. I'm in love with Nicholas Cage but doubt I'll ever meet him in real life, let alone get to shag him senseless! ;)

Likewise, telling them you don't know which grade you're at could mean you're absolutely crap at music, except in your own opinion. They will probably wonder if you can even read and understand music properly as you've never had a formal lesson.

You'll also need to learn to spell I; minute; a bit; Sequencing; etc.; interesting.

You have to show them you're serious if you want to be taken seriously.

You should talk to a careers guidance officer and get help with your application. :-6
Betty Boop

Need a little favour

Post by Betty Boop »

Get into college and get some help from student services, thats what they are there for. A tutor is also a good idea, my english tutor helped me with mine and I've got a place at uni. Took me around five drafts in the end. It needs to be relevant to what you are applying for as well, you need to do some research and have the course structure in front of you so you can refer to some of the modules and show your interest in those areas. Good Luck.

Return to “General Chit Chat”