Country House Goes Down The Drain

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Well, thats it for the house in the country. Yesterday, I visited the landlord, to ask my list of questions... sign contract etc....... There is NO high speed internet available for the address. I was stunned. Four years ago, I wanted nothing to do with computers... now, I cant live without one. Where ever I go, you all must come with me. I am not willing, or able to live without the connection. Ill start looking for something closer to town, tomorrow.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

weeder;774969 wrote: Well, thats it for the house in the country. Yesterday, I visited the landlord, to ask my list of questions... sign contract etc....... There is NO high speed internet available for the address. I was stunned. Four years ago, I wanted nothing to do with computers... now, I cant live without one. Where ever I go, you all must come with me. I am not willing, or able to live without the connection. Ill start looking for something closer to town, tomorrow.

Aaaawww Weeder! I'm sorry :-4:-4

It's good that you want to take us all with you though :D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
weeder

Post by weeder »

Wouldnt leave town without you:)
weeder

Post by weeder »

You know Pinkchick... I just thought.. my son John is coming to Ireland in May. I should hook you two up for a meeting. He will be there for 10 days. He investigated our family geneology. He is going to just travel around visiting local pubs, and talking to people.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

weeder;774973 wrote: You know Pinkchick... I just thought.. my son John is coming to Ireland in May. I should hook you two up for a meeting. He will be there for 10 days. He investigated our family geneology. He is going to just travel around visiting local pubs, and talking to people.

Oh cool - where is he going?
weeder

Post by weeder »

He is leaving here May 2nd. Going through the 11th. I dont know his itimerary, but I will find out. I wanted to go with him... thought about it, but he is now going with a friend from the college where he works. He is 27, and wasnt really wild about the idea of running around with his mother anyway.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

weeder;774982 wrote: He is leaving here May 2nd. Going through the 11th. I dont know his itimerary, but I will find out. I wanted to go with him... thought about it, but he is now going with a friend from the college where he works. He is 27, and wasnt really wild about the idea of running around with his mother anyway.

Aaaaaawww!!!!

That's a shame! You should come anyway!

Let me know where he's going and I'll see what I can do :):-4
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

ahhh thats a bummer for sure Weeder

Hope you can find a new place equally as nice with internet x:-6
weeder

Post by weeder »

There were other issues bothering me about it. The inability to have DSL service just finally made up my mind. I was also concerned about the $$ to heat the place. Im making the move to save gas money, no sense in paying it in heat.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I hope you find a cool place, that is too bad about the internet hookup.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Sorry about the disappointment. I believe you will find something better soon.

We all want to be there in spirit in the Forumgarden in you new home. So glad you want us to tag along.:) I sure would miss my internet access,too.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Thanks Kids. I dont feel bad. Im sure another place is out there..
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Weeder it wasn't to be you will find something even better with high speed internet access. I know what you mean I couldn't live with out my computer and FG.. :-4
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

weeder

Post by weeder »

Nope... I just couldnt do it. Didnt have to do it... so Im not. And I agree.. I dont think this place was meant to be.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Jester;775039 wrote: Weeder is there not any satellite service or business system like AT&T wireless service? It may not exactly be high speed but I bet its fast enough to laod FG with ease.

Try the sprint or at&t wireless business services.

There is dial up with a phone co operative. Very expensive. I need the computer for work also. No AT&T No Verizon. Cant use direct TV, as they partner with one of the major phone companys.

THERE IS A SUPER WALMART... 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD,
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If the house is in the drain you dont want to live there anyway.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Furry Samaritan

Post by Furry Samaritan »

No DSL in country - is it a possibility to have high-speed satellite internet?

Heating expense - would it be cheaper to cut firewood and use it in the fireplace?

Sounded like you wanted that house - just tossing out some "possibilities?" to try to save your dream.

Take care & good luck!
Furry Samaritan

weeder;775133 wrote: There is dial up with a phone co operative. Very expensive. I need the computer for work also. No AT&T No Verizon. Cant use direct TV, as they partner with one of the major phone companys.

THERE IS A SUPER WALMART... 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD,

Considering AT&T & Verizon went along with this warrantless wiretap, and is now seeking immunity for their betrayal of their paying customers, would you even WANT either company for your service provider???

I do hope you'll find something you like, which has all the services you need.

Best of luck.

:)
weeder

Post by weeder »

Whats this about a wire tap?? Id like to know.
Furry Samaritan

weeder;801629 wrote: Whats this about a wire tap?? Id like to know.

Weeder : I see you live in Virginia, USA. Is it possible you're totally unaware of the warrantless wiretap the white house administration ordered various telecom companies to participate in? QWEST, a telecom provider for the mountain & desert states, is notably the ONLY telecom provider that would not participate unless they saw a warrant. The white house has been trying to make the case that the secret court that can convene to decide whether to grant case by case wiretaps, was not an option in the "terror" scenario. So, countless private conversations & e-mail messages have been recorded, parsed & eavesdropped on - presumably to weed out terrorist activity. Unfortanately for many, "terrorism" is not only defined as threat against America, but anyone who opposes Bush's policies.

AT&T & Verizon were among the companies who participated in this warrantless and illegal wiretap. And their customers are the ones who paid the bill for this "service". Now, there are MANY individual and class-action lawsuits piling up against these companies, and the law suits are being held at bay by legal maneuvering from the white house. Since the white house has not YET gotten retroactive legal immunity for these telecom companies, and since there is quite a bit of evidence piling up proving these wiretaps were in no way appropriate to the situation, it really is a matter of time before the floodgates are open!

I had AT&T long distance when the wiretap news first came out - needless to say, I switched over to QWEST with lightning speed after that. My personal life is MY business. I've never engaged in any terrorist activities, and there's no reason for our "authorities" to believe otherwise. I am very much agains the colossal abuses of power I've been witnessing for some time, but my answer (failing any election-worthy leaders in the near future) is to DUCK! ESCAPE! Stay away from the political machine the best I can.

Again, I do wish you luck in your housing search.

Kindest regards!

:)
weeder

Post by weeder »

Thank you for the information. It is quite unsettling, and upsetting. You would have had to have been here for a while to know that I am an unconventional thinker who is well aware of the way our civil liberties are being threatened, and I would never knowingly support any company engaged in violating our rights to privacy. AT and T bought my cell phone company ( Cingular Wireless ) and I have been apalled to have had to finish out my contract with a company who I have never wanted anything to do with. It seems that all kinds of manuevers are going on behind our backs, that many of us know nothing about, and so I thank you for enlightening me.

I have settled on a little apartment which is walkable to my job, in order to eliminate huge expense for gas, and Comcast will be my initernet provider. As a matter of fact, my computer will be off line early tomorrow morning. Comcast is meeting me at the new place tomorrow. So. I look forward to learning more from you, when I am hooked up again this week.
Furry Samaritan

weeder;802995 wrote: Thank you for the information. It is quite unsettling, and upsetting. You would have had to have been here for a while to know that I am an unconventional thinker who is well aware of the way our civil liberties are being threatened, and I would never knowingly support any company engaged in violating our rights to privacy. AT and T bought my cell phone company ( Cingular Wireless ) and I have been apalled to have had to finish out my contract with a company who I have never wanted anything to do with. It seems that all kinds of manuevers are going on behind our backs, that many of us know nothing about, and so I thank you for enlightening me.

I have settled on a little apartment which is walkable to my job, in order to eliminate huge expense for gas, and Comcast will be my initernet provider. As a matter of fact, my computer will be off line early tomorrow morning. Comcast is meeting me at the new place tomorrow. So. I look forward to learning more from you, when I am hooked up again this week.

Hi Weeder - Whenever your internet connection is re-astablished, welcome back, happy house (or apartment) warming. I've just finished putting together Easter baskets for my co-workers; next step - cupcakes for our "March Birthdays" celebration this week - and then of course - Cornbeef & Cabbage for St Patty's Day! And yes - I've gotten the traditional Shamrock Shake @ McDonalds :)

I hope things are going well - take care. Oh - the telecom immunity was voted down. Now Georgie Porgie & Pals are havin' a grand ol' hissy fit. Good!
weeder

Post by weeder »

I am back online. I asked the Comcast man about the wire tapping. Seems like everyone knew about it but me..... Incidents like these make me realize how little I keep up with news. I actually try to avoid knowing lots of things. Ill have to start reading the newspaper.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

weeder;774969 wrote: Well, thats it for the house in the country. Yesterday, I visited the landlord, to ask my list of questions... sign contract etc....... There is NO high speed internet available for the address. I was stunned. Four years ago, I wanted nothing to do with computers... now, I cant live without one. Where ever I go, you all must come with me. I am not willing, or able to live without the connection. Ill start looking for something closer to town, tomorrow.
I think you're wise to wait. You're going to stay there awhile, and if something bothers you a little without even staying there, it'll bother you alot later down the road!

Keep looking. You'll find it. :-6:driving:
Furry Samaritan

weeder;804910 wrote: I am back online. I asked the Comcast man about the wire tapping. Seems like everyone knew about it but me..... Incidents like these make me realize how little I keep up with news. I actually try to avoid knowing lots of things. Ill have to start reading the newspaper.

To be honest with you, I'm starting to avoid the newspapers & newscasts as well. Honestly - weren't you happier NOT knowing about this? In my case, I had one possible out - switch to the one phone company that DIDN'T cave; but this phone company, of course, only serves one region - not the entire country.

Well, let's see what happens down the road.

I hope everything else is going well with you.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Are things falling into place ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
weeder

Post by weeder »

I have fallen into place:) My new apartment is like living in a tree house. Up on the third floor, My windows look out into the tops of Dogwood trees. Quiet, sunny, warm, and cozy. The rent is a phenomenal deal, as I negotiated to do the painting, cleaning, and repairs. This is also why I havent been around much. The house in the country would have been a mistake. I can walk to work from this place. Tremendous savings in gas $$$$.

The best development is that by Walking Away.... my probmatic son has picked up the reins and is enthusiastic about being room mates with his friend in my old apartment. Spring is here, Im moved, and I have an opportunity to be on a mission to save money this coming year. I dont have a lot of furniture, but I like it that way. I like the challenge of living with very little, and not accumulating a lot of stuff. After I settle in, and get accustomed to being on my own ( finally) I will focus in on making some decisions regarding the rest of my life. PS Great news about your sister.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Hello My Lovely Friend Weeder :-4

It's such a pleasure to see you here :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

That all sounds good. Im all about less is more as well.

Hate clutter !

And thanks. :)

Great news on your son too.

Hell have someone that relies on him to keep employed now.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

weeder;813484 wrote: I have fallen into place:) My new apartment is like living in a tree house. Up on the third floor, My windows look out into the tops of Dogwood trees. Quiet, sunny, warm, and cozy. The rent is a phenomenal deal, as I negotiated to do the painting, cleaning, and repairs. This is also why I havent been around much. The house in the country would have been a mistake. I can walk to work from this place. Tremendous savings in gas $$$$.

The best development is that by Walking Away.... my probmatic son has picked up the reins and is enthusiastic about being room mates with his friend in my old apartment. Spring is here, Im moved, and I have an opportunity to be on a mission to save money this coming year. I dont have a lot of furniture, but I like it that way. I like the challenge of living with very little, and not accumulating a lot of stuff. After I settle in, and get accustomed to being on my own ( finally) I will focus in on making some decisions regarding the rest of my life. PS Great news about your sister.
That's great that things are working out. Good on you! :-6
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'm so glad for you, Weeder.:)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Accountable;813680 wrote: That's great that things are working out. Good on you! :-6

Ditto :-4
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Return to “Members' News”