Japan work information?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
chicagolosina

Japan work information?

Post by chicagolosina »

My son, 16 3/4, going on 30 has always wanted to go to Japan to live. He studies Japanese at school, and is quite good at it. Eventually he wants to become an ESL teacher there, but needs a Degree (4 years in University) and a TESL certificate before he can go that route. So he has decided to live/work for a year, to see if he can handle the lifestyle, culture, etc. Then come home and go to school

We recently discovered a government program that offers 1 year student work visa's to youth (18-25) He has to pay his airfare ticket, and have 2500 in the bank, but is offered accomodation, job links and support (non financial) from the Canadian Embassy there.

My question is, does anyone here have any experience with something like this, or know anyone that did a similar thing? Any advice, comments or things that would help out would be appreciated!

A little scary for me, I mean my baby will be alone without me at 18!! But then again, I was married at 18 and did okay. I think it will be good for him, he is very responsible and a great kid, but still, young and naive...cutting the apron strings willl be hard, but supporting his dreams makes it easier for me!

*edited title since I haven't recieved a response yet*
LottomagicZ4941

Japan work information?

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I know two people who have done the ESL. Should actually say I knew.

Because I've lost track of both of them.

And it sounds like you know what you need to do.

One of the firms that does this use to recruit at UNC and CSU.

I am sure some firms are better then others. Both of the people I know who did it thought it was a great experience.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941A
chicagolosina

Japan work information?

Post by chicagolosina »

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't neccessarily asking about ESL..yet...My son will be just out of high school, and looking for any kind of work. He plans to work at anything (he and I both know he won't be qualified to teach ESL at this point)

What he will be doing is finding a job, any job that he can support himself with (whether it be washing dishes, or serving up a Big Mac lol) live and learn for a year (immerse himself in Japanese language and culture) and then come back home to go to University.

I have looked up some message boards for this type of thing, but it seems that they service the wannabe ESL teachers..like I said that my son knows he would not qualify for..yet...I guess I'll keep looking.

Return to “Travel Vacation”