Buying a Tavern...need advice!

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

I'd really appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who has managed...owned or operated a bar/tavern. Me and my fiance are looking to buy a small tavern in our hometown....the tavern has been in business for about 20 years but the owner just passed away and her son is selling it...so We want to buy it and give it a facelift...get live music playing...get a younger crowd in there and just run the joint....we have great vision and are pretty level headed...I'm just wondering if anyone has ever owned anything like this....if I could get some advice or horror stories of what NOT to do...anything really would be appreciated! Thanks!
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Uh-huh.

What she said.

Very wise advice.
weeder

Post by weeder »

Magentas points are very serious, and true. From a New York perspective. I have seen local bars bought and FIXED UP many times. They went right down the drain $$$$ because everyone loved them just the way they were. Like she said.. Lost all the locals. Id go slow with the renovations, and trying to pull in the young. Very often, they dont have any money, and going out is a special occassion.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Drumbunny

First - LICENSE - what type of license? will this contract include the existing license or do you plan on applying for different license?

Read the license closely - that will determine what you will be allowed to do....

There are several different license's the State provides - and the State limits the types..

Second - you stated you plan on gutting the place - I'm assuming this place has a walk-in. A walk-in is the main cooler where the cages of beer are hooked up etc..

Where the walk-in is place will determine how the bar is set up.

You need to find out if the walk-in can be moved (if necessary) this is determined on the structure of the building & plumbing & access etc..

These two main items should keep you busy - they're the most important

I would be happy to suggest after these two items are investigated.

Patsy
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

magenta flame;698260 wrote: Hey I know I'll go takes some pics of my local. And explain what's been done to it over a seven year period .............It might be relevent maybe not . but there are a couple of things in it that seems to draw the attention of the tourists and locals alike.

Any excuse.

:p
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

drumbunny1;698208 wrote: I'd really appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who has managed...owned or operated a bar/tavern. Me and my fiance are looking to buy a small tavern in our hometown....the tavern has been in business for about 20 years but the owner just passed away and her son is selling it...so We want to buy it and give it a facelift...get live music playing...get a younger crowd in there and just run the joint....we have great vision and are pretty level headed...I'm just wondering if anyone has ever owned anything like this....if I could get some advice or horror stories of what NOT to do...anything really would be appreciated! Thanks!

Keep em drunk ?

If theyre drunk theyre spending money.

That and water down the beer.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”