The Bible is more truth than lies.

Discuss the Christian Faith.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

skittles2004 wrote: The Bible was written by some 60 men, and you're telling me that there isnt a chance that a couple of men couldnt have lied? :confused:

There is every chance in the world that someone would lie but, as you say, it is written by 60 people that checked each other's work. They may have lied but that doesn't mean that the lies went into print, so to speak. Being as ignorant as they were there is a great chance that someone may have gone off course in their projections of what it is that God said. If there is one lie? They haven't found it in 2,000 years. And that is just the New Testament. Billions have tried to usurp the power of the Bible but in the end they lost. One falsehood for thousands upon thosands of truths is a little silly to not put your faith in the fact that there is far, far more right than there is wrong in the Bible.
koan

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: There is every chance in the world that someone would lie but, as you say, it is written by 60 people that checked each other's work. They may have lied but that doesn't mean that the lies went into print, so to speak. Being as ignorant as they were there is a great chance that someone may have gone off course in their projections of what it is that God said. If there is one lie? They haven't found it in 2,000 years. And that is just the New Testament. Billions have tried to usurp the power of the Bible but in the end they lost. One falsehood for thousands upon thosands of truths is a little silly to not put your faith in the fact that there is far, far more right than there is wrong in the Bible.

Disagree. Agree. Disagree. Agree. Questionable.

In order:

The only thing I think they "checked for" is that everything would support the new religion they were starting.

There is a great chance that someone may have gone off course, as you say.

They have found errors in the bible over the last 2000 years and in the end the Catholic Church is still going pretty strong.

One falsehood should definately not negate many truths.

Right and wrong are subjective.

:-6 Don't hate me for being like Switzerland.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

sagan wrote: needless to say, the bible does not mention the word abortion once.
Nope. It doesn't. Just that little silly thing about "Thou shalt not kill..."

(Hi, It's me...just stirrin' the pot....) :yh_bigsmi
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

sagan wrote: Depends on when you think the bible tells you that life starts BabyRider. And lets face it, god has no problems with ripping pregnant women open. Keep stirring, that's what debates about. :)
I am just a pot-stirrer.

I don't really have much opinion on this subject, but I have enjoyed following it and hope it's going to continue in the same vein. While heated, it has been enlightening and entertaining.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

koan

Post by koan »

skittles2004 wrote: Do you think that the people writing the Bible may have over exaggerated on some of the topics they wrote because I truly do.

Is this different than your previous query if the writers had lied? I thought we were already discussing it.
Jives

Post by Jives »

I thought I read somewhere that the Bible was passed by word of mouth for the first two centuries. Ever play that "telephone" game? :-3
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
koan

Post by koan »

Jives wrote: I thought I read somewhere that the Bible was passed by word of mouth for the first two centuries. Ever play that "telephone" game? :-3

So Jesus might have said "There is no path to God that I can see" and it became

"There is no path to God except through me." ???

"I shout from a hill"

becomes

"Thou shalt not kill"

kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: So Jesus might have said "There is no path to God that I can see" and it became

"I shout from a hill"

becomes

"Thou shalt not kill"

Too much!!! Agree. Disagree. Agree. Disagree. Or is it, Disagree. Agree. Disagree. Agree. Dang! I just can't make my mind up? Can anybody tell me what to do?
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

koan wrote: So Jesus might have said "There is no path to God that I can see" and it became

"I shout from a hill"

becomes

"Thou shalt not kill"

Now that one I got :wah: :wah: :wah: unless you were making a serious point then you lost me again :wah:
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
Ted

Post by Ted »

:-6
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Marsue3417 wrote: I think that you are all reading in to the bible as if it was another book to be read. The bible is a journal of people who were there to witness to the times when Jesus would have roamed the earth. Son of God in the flesh. The bible is somewhat about historical events, but it is also God's way of speaking to us in a way He knows that we would understand him. Although some of what it said about it being folklore maybe true from a historical perspective, however God is not just historical HE IS ETERNAL. What you must understand is that God did not create the bible from a historical point of view. He created it from an eternal point of view. It is a book of guidance, and the way to get to know a glimpse into eternity. We are not placed here on earth as our final destination. We are placed here as a TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT. We are here on earth to fullfill God's purpose not our own. Therefore, EVERYTHING should be thought through his point of view. (You don't pick up an invention without an owner's manual do you.?) Therefore we are the invention and God holds the Owner's manual. We go to him to find out how to work. That is just the way it is. Even the bible says that it doesn't matter which background you come from, just as long as you believe that Jesus sacrificed his life for us and except him into your heart as your Lord and savour that is all that matters to God. " Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning. Without meaning, life has no significance or hope." (Quote taken from the book "The Purpose Driven Life." by Rick Warren. " It really explains alot of things about christianity and the purpose of why we are here. And the role of the bible. I highly suggest it.

God bless you all in finding your answers,

Marsue 3417

Even the bible says that it doesn't matter which background you come from, just as long as you believe that Jesus sacrificed his life for us and except him into your heart as your Lord and savour that is all that matters to God. " Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning. Without meaning, life has no significance or hope."
I thought that that was what I was doing. Very emotional. Very true but there are exceptions to what you say that I think even you would say were right and changing your mind about what you have stated. Well said. Great post. Some will disagree but here we are on earth.

My changses are simple. I think that the larger, bold word should be changed to accept.

The savour is all well and good but I think that it is more than the taste and smell that you are trying to indicate here. I would suggest that you are meaning to say saviour. I hope that these changes to your doctrine, as written, will help.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

"I shout from a hill"

becomes

"Thou shalt not kill"

.....I Am. I said. We can blah blah blah till hell freezes over and be still looking for the truth. I'll stay by Mother Earth and the people of the forest.
koan

Post by koan »

I find the spelling mistakes do not interfere with what you are saying.

I do believe, though, that the connection with God that some people achieve through the words of the bible are achieved to no lesser extent by others who read a poem or the Koran or a passage from any other book. Some people achieve great spiritual connection to the Divine by reading and thinking of nothing. Literally. Meditation. I could say "don't knock it until you've tried it" just as easily. But there is not enough time for people to verify or deny by proper experimentation every single form of religion in the world.

I happen to believe that there is a God. I do not understand why the person of Christ or his death have anything to do with my personal "salvation". I feel no different than the people who lived before Christ was born. The same God exists. The same God can be found with or without Christ's words. He was one of many prophets. Read Zoroaster. He would have been the greatest prophet of the time if Christ hadn't had better publicity agents.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: I Am. I said. We can blah blah blah till hell freezes over and be still looking for the truth. I'll stay by Mother Earth and the people of the forest.
Yah! Tell me dude?
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I find the spelling mistakes do not interfere with what you are saying.

I do believe, though, that the connection with God that some people achieve through the words of the bible are achieved to no lesser extent by others who read a poem or the Koran or a passage from any other book. Some people achieve great spiritual connection to the Divine by reading and thinking of nothing. Literally. Meditation. I could say "don't knock it until you've tried it" just as easily. But there is not enough time for people to verify or deny by proper experimentation every single form of religion in the world.

I happen to believe that there is a God. I do not understand why the person of Christ or his death have anything to do with my personal "salvation". I feel no different than the people who lived before Christ was born. The same God exists. The same God can be found with or without Christ's words. He was one of many prophets. Read Zoroaster. He would have been the greatest prophet of the time if Christ hadn't had better publicity agents.
Who's the prophet?
koan

Post by koan »

ZOROASTER

c.630 - c.550 BC

Persian Prophet

Zoroaster, also called Zarathustra, was an ancient Persian prophet who founded the first world religion - Zoroastrianism
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: ZOROASTER

c.630 - c.550 BC

Persian Prophet

Zoroaster, also called Zarathustra, was an ancient Persian prophet who founded the first world religion - Zoroastrianism
Him and Bhudda are contemporaries? It's a commie plot I tell you. At that time the Persians were becoming the biggest gang on the block.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Enuf wrote: If topics like this intrest people may I suggest Bloodline of the Holy Grail by Sir Lawrence Gardnor.
Welcome t the garden enuf. Hope you enjoy it here as much as everyone else does. Happy posting. What is the book about?

Return to “Christianity”