Stump Spot - The Game

This is where we play our home grown versions of the popular game shows you know and love.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585825 wrote: Who was the brother of Charlotte, Anne and Emily Bronte?

Bramwell, my sweet. The opium addict? I can't remember whether he was on opium or just plain alcohol, now I think of it. Maybe he was just a drunk.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;585779 wrote: Get this ( i found this very hard to believe)but the average Reindeer weighs about eight stone . I met a guy today who owns quite a few of them . The one he had with him was huge but he said they only weigh about eight stone (what ever that is in kilos ) and they live to about twelve years old . Weird innit .
Very.

Here's a webpage, I thought I ought to have a look given how weird it sounded.

http://www.alittlechristmasmagic.com/Re ... Facts.html

Except now I need to convert Kilos to stone. Times 2.2 to pounds, divide by 14 to stone...Adults- Female Average June Weight- 73.8 Kg 162.36 lbs.

Female Average January Weight- 85.4 Kg 187.88 lbs.

Male Average June Weight- 99.6 Kg 219.12 lbs.

Male Average January Weight- 92.3 Kg 203.06 lbs.

Note: these weights are the lower end of their annual weight cycle. By autumn cows will be well over 200 lbs. and bulls over 300 lbs.So the figures on alittlechristmasmagic come out as:

Males at midsummer, 18 stone, and at midwinter 15 stone.

Females at midsummer, 14 stone, and at midwinter 12 stone.

Maximum pre-winter weight, males over 21 stone, females over 14 stone.

Maybe the guy you met kills them for meat around 20 months old? Lots of farmed reindeer are. Or maybe he has a distinct variety of reindeer?

There are deer herds farmed for venison near where I live which are about the weights you quote, but they're not reindeer.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

What does the word PAKEHA mean and which language group does it belong to?

Same question about the word PIN-DA-LIK-OYEE. (The spelling may be a bit iffy here).
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Ok another ...Which tower in Chicago has it's own zip code .

....and in Arizona what is it illegal to hunt .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;585836 wrote: What does the word PAKEHA mean and which language group does it belong to?

Same question about the word PIN-DA-LIK-OYEE. (The spelling may be a bit iffy here).

My languages are a weak point. I have to guess wildly, somewhere Pacific like Hawaii or Mauri.

I'll look.

I'm glad I mentioned Mauri, then...

The Concise Maori Dictionary (Reed/Karetu, 1990) defines Pakeha as "foreign, foreigner (usually applied to white person)", while the English – Maori : Maori – English Dictionary (Biggs, 1990) defines Pakeha as "white (person)".

The other word has me totally stumped.

Chookie double-stumped Spot a second time!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;585943 wrote: Ok another ...Which tower in Chicago has it's own zip code .

....and in Arizona what is it illegal to hunt .The Sears Tower and Red Indians, presumably.

Umm. Other than Red Indians, in Arizona. It'd be nice to think it was gophers or wolves but I doubt that. Nobody hunts the skunk. What's left? Bald-headed eagles.
Nomad

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Nomad »

Did God create Heaven & Earth ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
el guapo

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by el guapo »

ok lets have a go what goes up a hill with 3 legs and comes down with 4
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

bornbad;586021 wrote: ok lets have a go what goes up a hill with 3 legs and comes down with 4

A broken chair being taken up the high street to a carpenter's shop for repair.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Nomad;585969 wrote: Did God create Heaven & Earth ?

We are but a band of children,

We are few, and weak and small,

But we want to work for Jesus,

And there’s work enough for all.

There are many little children,

Far away across the sea,

Who have never heard of Jesus,

But to idols bend the knee.

’Tis the Bible that will lead them

From the darkness into light,

And we all are glad to help them

Break away from heathen night.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

The second word was from the Athabaskan language group, the term was, if I remember correctly a derogatory reference to the fact that American (mainly US) settlers were "white-eyes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_language

But, as I have somehow lost my reference to the actual word because of my recent computery problems, I suggest that we ignore the question.
Imladris

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Imladris »

Who was St Cuthbert Mayne?
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Imladris;586098 wrote: Who was St Cuthbert Mayne?I reckon that's a tricksy catch spot out question, that's what. You want me to guess that he's a ninth century Celt who sailed between the Islands on a gravestone, the way they did. Well I bet he's an eighteenth century colonial adminstrator born in Dublin and his dad was a Bishop.

Okay, I'll go and look because I've never heard of him.

Hmm. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10087a.htm

One of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales, hanged, drawn, and quartered on 25 November 1577, Canonized 25 October 1970 by Pope Paul VI.

I bet you went to a Catholic school named after him. You win that one.

Imladris stumped Spot!
Nomad

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Nomad »

Dear Spock, who said "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Nomad;586125 wrote: Dear Spock, who said "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."That's uncanny, I saw that on Friday somewhere, it's the Dalai Lama. I'm still trying to recall what I was reading which mentioned it. Actually I can look in my browser history, that might have it...

No, nothing sprang to the eye doing that. It'll niggle at my mind for hours puzzling over where I saw it.
Galbally

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Galbally »

Can you give me any physical dimensions associated with the Chandraskar limit? :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Isn't it Chandrasekar? Damn, I can never spell right... it's the weight above which a sun will go supernova when it runs out of fuel, around ten times the mass of the one we're orbiting. Or it might be three but I'll guess at ten.

So, now I'll google and see how wrong I can get.

I left out an "h" in his name. pooey. Right, at least I know now why there were two numbers popping into my head. The "ten" (which ought in fact to be eight) is the supernova mass limit, but the Chandrasekhar limit belongs to the next phase - will what's left collapse into a black hole as opposed to a neutron star or a cold dwarf star. I tried three and it ought to be half that. I'm high on both masses. Wiki says:The Chandrasekhar limit is the maximum nonrotating mass which can be supported against gravitational collapse by electron degeneracy pressure. It is commonly given as being about 1.4 or 1.44 solar masses.

Galbally stumped Spot!
devist8me

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by devist8me »

What color are my panties?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Which is the oldest, continuously operating, manufacturing company in England
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Who were the opponents in the Battle of Cable Street and when.
edge2125

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by edge2125 »

I have a question for Spot!

Where's Waldo?

=D
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586248 wrote: Which is the oldest, continuously operating, manufacturing company in England

Josiah Wedgewood's pottery, one would imagine.

eta: "Doncasters was originally founded in 1778, when Daniel Doncaster established an operation in Sheffield, England to apply the crucible steel-making process to the manufacture of hand tools and is now one of the longest continuously operating industrial manufacturing companies in the world". The Wedgewood factory started in 1759. Go on, tell me how far back I could have got if I'd been right - I bet there's some smithy round the back of the White Vale that's been turning out horseshoes without a break since the Romans invaded.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

edge2125;586257 wrote: I have a question for Spot!

Where's Waldo?

=D

In Robert A Heinlein's anthology of short stories. He wrote one called Waldo about a physically weak inventor who built a body suit to help him do things.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586249 wrote: Who were the opponents in the Battle of Cable Street and when.

When's not easy. 1934? That might be a year or two early. Oswald Mosely's Fascist Union marched through the Jewish quarter of London's East End trying to provoke newspaper headlines, and he got them when the residents decided there were some things up with which they would not put.

Okay, I checked, it was October 1936...

Bryn stumped Spot!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

devist8me;586245 wrote: What color are my panties?

Either I have to pretend to be psychic at this point or I tell the entire world not only what you get up to with a webcam late at night but also that you never change them.

I bet they match your hair so they're almost as bright a red as my blushes at the moment.

Okay, I tried googling it and for once I couldn't find the answer. The nearest I got was "She wears green ones and pink ones and blue ones and yellow ones and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same".

Hang on a moment - aren't you infamous for claiming to go commando at nightclubs?
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;586261 wrote: Josiah Wedgewood's pottery, one would imagine.

eta: "Doncasters was originally founded in 1778, when Daniel Doncaster established an operation in Sheffield, England to apply the crucible steel-making process to the manufacture of hand tools and is now one of the longest continuously operating industrial manufacturing companies in the world". The Wedgewood factory started in 1759. Go on, tell me how far back I could have got if I'd been right - I bet there's some smithy round the back of the White Vale that's been turning out horseshoes without a break since the Romans invaded.

1652 - The Whitechapple Bell Foundry
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;586270 wrote: Either I have to pretend to be psychic at this point or I tell the entire world not only what you get up to with a webcam late at night but also that you never change them.

I bet they match your hair so they're almost as bright a red as my blushes at the moment.

Okay, I tried googling it and for once I couldn't find the answer. The nearest I got was "She wears green ones and pink ones and blue ones and yellow ones and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same".

Hang on a moment - aren't you infamous for claiming to go commando at nightclubs?

OK - so who wrote the sing you're quoting?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586384 wrote: OK - so who wrote the sing you're quoting?

Val Doonican, except I mangled his words. Go on, now tell me he didn't write it.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586381 wrote: 1652 - The Whitechapple Bell Foundry

Bryn stumped Spot a second time!
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

What was the original name of British Columbia?
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;586398 wrote: Val Doonican, except I mangled his words. Go on, now tell me he didn't write it.

Pete Seeger
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;586403 wrote: What was the original name of British Columbia?

I thought it was either Kwakuitl or Vancouver's Land, but having looked it up I bet you're going to plump for New Caledonia.

Chookie stumped Spot!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586408 wrote: Pete Seeger

Bryn double-stumped Spot twice!(the other's for the Bell Foundry)
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Which battle took place on 15th August 778? (Yes I did say 778)

Who were the opposing armies?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;586420 wrote: Which battle took place on 15th August 778? (Yes I did say 778)

Who were the opposing armies?

That's Alfred the Great destroying the Viking army outside Chippenham, I reckon.

I'll look it up and wince.

15th August. Events 778: The Battle of Roncesvalles; Charlemagne's rearguard is slaughtered by Basque troops.

That's what comes of relying on a bad memory, it was 878 not 778 when Wessex turned the tables on the Vikings:Alfred reassessed his strategy and adopted the Danes' tactics by building a fortified base at Athelney in the Somerset marshes and summoning a mobile army of men from Wiltshire, Somerset and part of Hampshire to pursue guerrilla warfare against the Danes. In May 878, Alfred's army defeated the Danes at the battle of Edington.

According to his contemporary biographer Bishop Asser, 'Alfred attacked the whole pagan army fighting ferociously in dense order, and by divine will eventually won the victory, made great slaughter among them, and pursued them to their fortress (Chippenham) ... After fourteen days the pagans were brought to the extreme depths of despair by hunger, cold and fear, and they sought peace'. This unexpected victory proved to be the turning point in Wessex's battle for survival.Chookie stumped Spot a second time!
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

When was the "Radical War"?
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What's unusual about the weather vane on St Mary Redcliffe
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;586438 wrote: When was the "Radical War"?

One of my favourite authors, Samuel Rutherford Crockett, wrote a novel about the social aftermath of the Napoleonic wars, set in Scotland and culminating in the radical riots. 1817? They were echoed across Lancashire and Yorkshire, I think the Peterloo Massacre might have been part of the same reaction to so much unemployment.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Which member of the English royal family died at the Battle of Bauge?
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

spot;586441 wrote: One of my favourite authors, Samuel Rutherford Crockett, wrote a novel about the social aftermath of the Napoleonic wars, set in Scotland and culminating in the radical riots. 1817? They were echoed across Lancashire and Yorkshire, I think the Peterloo Massacre might have been part of the same reaction to so much unemployment.

1820, but still part of the same unrest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_War

I'd call that one for you.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;586439 wrote: What's unusual about the weather **** on St Mary RedcliffeHah! I bet you're wrong about that one then.

Bristol mythology has it that there's a hole shot through in its tail.

I'll tell you why I reckon the Bristol myth is wrong, too. The spire of Mary Redcliffe is enormous, nobody in his right mind would think a spire could get so tall. The myth is that a captured officer of Napoleon's army was being taken, with other prisoners, through Bristol by an armed detail having been landed at the port, and the locals were mocking them as inferior to the British Army, saying "they couldn't hit a barn door at twenty paces". Having his honour so insulted, the officer asked the detail's commander for permission to borrow a rifle, took aim at the weathervane and spun it with a single shot. Honour satisfied, he handed the rifle back and they went on their way.

What makes the story believable is that the spire of Mary Redcliffe became unsafe and was taken down in the eighteenth century and the current one wasn't erected until well into the nineteenth. If you look in the Bristol Art Gallery there's a contemporary painting (from around 1820) showing just the tower, no spire, and a makeshift tripod holding a cockerel weathervane at around a third of the height of the current one. That makes the entire story far more believable, I can well understand why it was handed down the generations.

What I find very unlikely is that the old weathervane was put on top of the new spire when it was rebuilt.
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;586448 wrote: Hah! I bet you're wrong about that one then.

Bristol mythology has it that there's a hole shot through in its tail.

I'll tell you why I reckon the Bristol myth is wrong, too. The spire of Mary Redcliffe is enormous, nobody in his right mind would think a spire could get so tall. The myth is that a captured officer of Napoleon's army was being taken, with other prisoners, through Bristol by an armed detail having been landed at the port, and the locals were mocking them as inferior to the British Army, saying "they couldn't hit a barn door at twenty paces". Having his honour so insulted, the officer asked the detail's commander for permission to borrow a rifle, took aim at the weathervane and spun it with a single shot. Honour satisfied, he handed the rifle back and they went on their way.

What makes the story believable is that the spire of Mary Redcliffe became unsafe and was taken down in the eighteenth century and the current one wasn't erected until well into the nineteenth. If you look in the Bristol Art Gallery there's a contemporary painting (from around 1820) showing just the tower, no spire, and a makeshift tripod holding a cockerel weathervane at around a third of the height of the current one. That makes the entire story far more believable, I can well understand why it was handed down the generations.

What I find very unlikely is that the old weathervane was put on top of the new spire when it was rebuilt.

You ask any Bristolian and he'll tell you that you can see the sun shining through the 'ole - never have meself though.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;586442 wrote: Which member of the English royal family died at the Battle of Bauge?

How about the Black Prince? I've never heard of Bauge so I'm guessing.

Hey, what do you know, I got the right war at least.

A rather optimistic Thomas of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Clarence (29 September 1388 – 22 March 1421), second son of King Henry IV of England, optimistically tried to ambush a combined French/Scots army of 5,000 with his 1,500 men on Easter Sunday and got his entire outfit slaughtered. What comes of sacrilege, see. http://www.siol-nan-gaidheal.com/bauges.htm tells the story.

Chookie stumped Spot a third time!
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

By what name did the Lakotah refer to General George Armstrong Custer?
Bryn Mawr

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What's the Trent's equivalent to the Severn Bore?
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

How did Walter Hemingford (AKA Walter of Hemingburgh) describe the Stone of Destiny?

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by 911 »

What is the ironic trivia behind the movie "Singing In the Rain"?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

I thought it was Yellowhair but it turns out it was Longhair.

The Trent Aegir, apparently, something I’d never heard of.

“Apud Monasterium de Scone positus eat lapis pergrandis in ecclesia Dei, juxta manum altare, concavus quidam ad modum rotundae catherdeaie confectus, in quo future reges loco quasi coronatis”, apparently. For those with little Latin that’s roughly “In Scone’s monastery is a very grand stone in God’s church close to the great altar, a concave round chair, to which future kings go to be crowned”, the key phrase being concave and chair because what’s in Edinburgh at the moment isn’t what’s described. I had to look that up too, that’s three misses in a row.

Ironic trivia regarding “Singin’ in the Rain” is quite beyond me.

Chookie, Bryn and Chookie stumped spot!

911 double-stumped spot!

My apologies for such a prolonged absence.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Good to see you back Spot.

Now, being nasty, how many gold mines are there in Wales?
koan

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by koan »

Chookie;588972 wrote: Good to see you back Spot.

Now, being nasty, how many gold mines are there in Wales?

spot apologises that he didn't notice this last question for a few days.

He is also too lazy to go log in at the moment so I'm typing it out for him :rolleyes:

spot says:

"None because the old ones were closed when the National Park opened. There are still alluvial streams panned but no mines, anymore."

Return to “FG Game Shows”