Is Superglue a bane in your home?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

This goes along with the duct tape thread. DH seems to think Superglue is the answer to all his woes. It's the bane of my existance.

If it breaks, glue it. Never mind that most likely we can get a part, or even return the item. Nope, pull out the superglue, and glue away! Simple, right? Maybe. Works, right? Not often enough to matter.

By the time DH has realized it won't work, one of two problems has popped up: The glue has gotten someplace it shouldn't, and the warranty on the item is now null and void, (found that out the hard way!), or...

The glue simply won't hold, as it's not meant for every type of material out there.

There is a third problem, occasionally: The glue holds too well, and makes the item break elsewhere.

:-5 :-5 :-5 :-5

For over a year, DH kept gluing the tailgate handle for his truck back together. I kept telling him to have the dealer get him a new one. He insisted they came only on the trucks, and that you couldn't order them as an individual part.

At last, I broke down, and called. For $75.00, he got a brandnew handle. While he was gone, I pitched his Superglue.

I now take any of it I find, and get rid of it. I wish he'd use more duct tape.
koan

Post by koan »

I only ever got one use out of each tube. Then the lid would be glued on.

I don't believe that commercial where the dude glues his hard hat to a beam. I mean, ok, maybe the glue would hold but I can't believe they think the situation applies.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Ciao, hope that your husband never discovers Gorilla Glue. It makes SuperGlue look like cheesecake. You can't even sand the stuff off and it actually sorta even bonds metal to metal. In a way.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Soberano;576318 wrote: Its very handy for gluing all your body parts together. Accidental i hasten to add.:wah:

Oh, yeah. I found that out the hard way. And, if you rub your fingers together before the glue has a chance to set, they'll get very warm, and start smoking.

After that experience, I don't mess with the stuff at all!

However, my Mom has a skin condition where she can't be sutured at all. So, if she gets a cut, the docs glue her skin back in place. Very strange to see that.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

RedGlitter;576330 wrote: Ciao, hope that your husband never discovers Gorilla Glue. It makes SuperGlue look like cheesecake. You can't even sand the stuff off and it actually sorta even bonds metal to metal. In a way.

Oh, lord! I hope not. I read recently about a woman whose dog ate her Gorilla Glue, and how ill it made him. I'll have to keep a very sharp eye out indeed for that mess!

Return to “Home Management”