chat vs shoutbox

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
koan

chat vs shoutbox

Post by koan »

I've noticed a number of threads started to call people into the chat system.

I think more people would use a shoutbox where you can see who is there. It's not a closed conversation but there are other means for people to talk in private.

I'm wondering what the advantage is with a chat room when few go there because a) it takes time to load b)it turns into a new page where you can't see what else is going on while you are chatting and c) most of the time you click on it you see someone leaving and no one is there.
koan

chat vs shoutbox

Post by koan »

The question is if more people would have a good time if it was easier to get at.
chonsigirl

chat vs shoutbox

Post by chonsigirl »

Mother is still there, her heart is beating, but she doesn't talk anymore..........:-3
WonderWendy3

chat vs shoutbox

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I'm in the chat room right now!

I've never used a shout box, only saw one on a forum...

I like the chat room, but think I'd like the shout box as well!:p :D

did I mention I'm in the chat room???
koan

chat vs shoutbox

Post by koan »

it leaves the chat visible so people can get an idea of what kind of stuff people talk about too.

otoh, it leaves the chat visible so people might talk differently.
crazygal

chat vs shoutbox

Post by crazygal »

The chat room used can show on the forum who is in which room. I had that on mine. Also to open in a new page which I think is better too.
guppy

chat vs shoutbox

Post by guppy »

I have been having a blast in chat in the last couple of weeks...often times the boards are almost standing still lately cause we are all in chat!!!!!:p
Tombstone

chat vs shoutbox

Post by Tombstone »

koan;576059 wrote: I've noticed a number of threads started to call people into the chat system.

I think more people would use a shoutbox where you can see who is there. It's not a closed conversation but there are other means for people to talk in private.

I'm wondering what the advantage is with a chat room when few go there because a) it takes time to load b)it turns into a new page where you can't see what else is going on while you are chatting and c) most of the time you click on it you see someone leaving and no one is there.

Hi Koan,

ForumGarden now has a Shoutbox! For those of you who are not familiar with Shoutboxes, you can view it here. And if you would like to read about its functions, see this:

Feature Lists / Comparison

Major Features:

Advanced Shout Control: You have the ability to post shouts, edit your shouts, PM shouts to other users, Ignore other users, insert /Me commands, insert smilies, Bbcode, change font, text colour, text size.

Customizable New Post/Thread Notification: Allows you to make the shoutbox post when a new thread is created, or a new post is made. You can make this happen with all threads (Which will take user permissions into account) or only threads/posts from certain forums.

Shoutbox Tabs: No more clutter! Lets you put things like system notices in their own tabs, create tabs for staff chat only, Detailed list of active users, notifications etc. – Keep your main chat tab for just that – chatting! Tab will flash to let you know something new has happened, and you can even set them to make sounds to alert you.

Active Users Shout-bit: Shows the users active in the tab/instance you are, with the option to view everyone who can enter/exit the room at will (and thus see any shouts posted) in a pop-up to save resources. Perfect for seeing what's going on and who's around at a glance.

Context Menus: Many places now make use of context menus – less having to remember /commands, one click access to the most useful and commonly used functions, and the ability for users to access their shoutbox settings directly from the shoutbox itself.

Custom Chat Rooms: Your users can now set up their own Chat-Tabs, where they get to set who can come and chat. Perfect for clubs, guilds etc.

Shoutbox Sounds: You asked for it, we delivered. Customisable sounds now available on receiving shouts, Invites, PM's and more. (Requires QuickTime Plugin)
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”