American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Can someone explain why the English football league system consists of 24 teams between the League Championship down to the Conference National league then 22 teams thereafter? Perhaps "If, after promotion and relegation, the number of teams in the divisions are not equal, one or more teams are transferred between the three divisions to even them up again." explains the very reason but I suppose I'm interested to know any underlying details...Perhaps an emphasis to ensure a steady number of 20+ teams? Perhaps "It's just the way it's always been"?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1387907 wrote: Can someone explain why the English football league system consists of 24 teams between the League Championship down to the Conference National league then 22 teams thereafter? Perhaps "If, after promotion and relegation, the number of teams in the divisions are not equal, one or more teams are transferred between the three divisions to even them up again." explains the very reason but I suppose I'm interested to know any underlying details...Perhaps an emphasis to ensure a steady number of 20+ teams? Perhaps "It's just the way it's always been"?

More, I think, to do with the number of games we expect the players to be involved in each year.

The League is professional but below the Conference National it is semi at best.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

There are quite alot of games leading up to April 30, which I'm sure is highly anticipated for all football fans, but considering I believe Man City has the weaker schedule I think it's ludicrous to suspect that they cannot win the title...

April 30th!

Ok, anyway,..so Liverpool has dropped points to Wigan and looking at the table it's obvious just how competitive this league is.

Anyone expect the English Premier League to dwarf the rest of the leagues given say 5 years? 10 years? Next year?

What's the next super team following Man City? Sunderland? Newcastle? Swansea!!!!?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I have a feeling that Dempsey is looking for an offer from a big club but I honestly think that he won't go to any other club aside from the absolute top 4(I don't think he'd go to Liverpool even but perhaps I'm wrong - and I do not think Liverpool is a top 4 side at all right now).

I think he more than deserves a chance at such a big club. If anything everyone has to admire his loyalty and work ethic, he's a true professional and I would honestly wish him the best...I hope he stays...I think he's enjoying his time with Fulham and I do think they can go very far, but I doubt it will be within his professional career(or at the very least while he's still in his prime years which he is no doubt in atm)

Any other foreseen moves?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1391299 wrote: I have a feeling that Dempsey is looking for an offer from a big club but I honestly think that he won't go to any other club aside from the absolute top 4(I don't think he'd go to Liverpool even but perhaps I'm wrong - and I do not think Liverpool is a top 4 side at all right now).

I think he more than deserves a chance at such a big club. If anything everyone has to admire his loyalty and work ethic, he's a true professional and I would honestly wish him the best...I hope he stays...I think he's enjoying his time with Fulham and I do think they can go very far, but I doubt it will be within his professional career(or at the very least while he's still in his prime years which he is no doubt in atm)

Any other foreseen moves?

If Dempsey wants such a move then now is the time to do it - he's not getting any younger :-)

I think he'd do very well for himself and with better players around him and a more consistent feed could score even more goals.

As to other foreseen moves - how's about Balotelli to Southampton at the end of the season? Man City will be desperate to get rid, no-one else will have him but Southampton know they need something or they're straight back down :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1391318 wrote: If Dempsey wants such a move then now is the time to do it - he's not getting any younger :-)

I think he'd do very well for himself and with better players around him and a more consistent feed could score even more goals.

As to other foreseen moves - how's about Balotelli to Southampton at the end of the season? Man City will be desperate to get rid, no-one else will have him but Southampton know they need something or they're straight back down :wah:

I did see Roberto Mancini's face when Balotelli was sent off in the match against Arsenal...I think you may be correct, actually, as I think back to his ghost white face! :yh_rotfl

I've always seen Balotelli as a circus clown, perhaps his charm will shine enough through to win my respect...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

What I do know is that I most certainly do not want to see Frei leave Fulham!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chelsea set to take on Barcelona in the Champions League Semi-final...

I'm surprised to see that Bayern defeated Real Madrid although I think giving up that away goal will haunt them...

Anyway, Drogba starts in front of Torres Gamecast: Chelsea v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League - ESPN Soccernet
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well deserved win for Fulham...

Their next 4 games are against Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland, and then Tottenham...Not the easiest set by far, but I have faith in Fulham, they're not the team of '06. They look like they're playing better than ever and finally are clicking as a team...

58 points is alot to ask for but I do think Fulham will stay within the top 10...

Something in me is anticipating their match against Liverpool...anyway...

Speaking of the season's end the dates to watch for are Monday 30 April when Man U take on Man City...I do think that Man City completely blew their chance(or perhaps Man U is just being themselves as usual) but what's true is that this match will be the single defining moment if Man City is expected to lift the trophy. An absolute must win for Man City...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1391773 wrote:

Speaking of the season's end the dates to watch for are ...Oh, I remember making this paragraph plural for a reason...

Wednesday 2 May when Newcastle take on Chelsea...

Can anyone see Newcastle going to the Champions League...God! Arsenal are 1 game ahead but they also have a weak schedule remaining...

Good games to come
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man U - 4-4 Everton

Didn't see that one coming...Looks like Man City will be happy with that!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Meanwhile, Chelsea beat Barcelona 1-0

That will make things interesting. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona are at home this fixture.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1391881 wrote: Meanwhile, Chelsea beat Barcelona 1-0

That will make things interesting. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona are at home this fixture.

I'd love to see them knock Barsa out but I can't see it happening.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1391919 wrote: I'd love to see them knock Barsa out but I can't see it happening.Funny how we see a team like Chelsea, who is a great team on a world perspective, and consider them underdogs after being ahead 1-0 on aggregate. I suppose that probably says alot about Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Both games will be a great game for the unbiased observer...Hope I get some spare time to watch the game(s). It's just that I hate Chelsea! :yh_rotfl
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1392011 wrote: Funny how we see a team like Chelsea, who is a great team on a world perspective, and consider them underdogs after being ahead 1-0 on aggregate. I suppose that probably says alot about Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Both games will be a great game for the unbiased observer...Hope I get some spare time to watch the game(s). It's just that I hate Chelsea! :yh_rotfl

So do I but it would be worth them winning to see Barsa knocked out
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1392011 wrote: Funny how we see a team like Chelsea, who is a great team on a world perspective, and consider them underdogs after being ahead 1-0 on aggregate. I suppose that probably says alot about Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Gordon Benett :yh_ooooo :yh_clap

Chelsea two nil down and down to ten men before Messi missed two penalties and Chelsea pulled back for a draw - what is the world coming to?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1392134 wrote: Gordon Benett :yh_ooooo :yh_clap

Chelsea two nil down and down to ten men before Messi missed two penalties and Chelsea pulled back for a draw - what is the world coming to?I was able to only catch the second half...Was still entertaining...

Was the second penalty justified? I'll have to catch the red card from the highlights

Good for Chelsea...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1392136 wrote: I was able to only catch the second half...Was still entertaining...

Was the second penalty justified? I'll have to catch the red card from the highlights

Good for Chelsea...

I'm still looking for the highlights - no Sky here
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1392137 wrote: I'm still looking for the highlights - no Sky here

eplmatches.com is usually a reliable source for any match highlights involving an English team...

Barcelona 2-2 Chelsea Highlights (Agg: 2-3) | Champions League

The ads before the videos I've rarely seen though...

*Edit: Though don't be discouraged if the first video doesn't play for you, scroll down to the others, all that I've seen work fine...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, I've just finished watching the supposed "red card" from Terry and I have to say that I think the only thing left to conclude is that the referee either didn't see the incident, much beyond the Barcelona player already laying on the ground, or the ref was bought in an attempt to fix the game, either way the referee should be banned from any game above that of perhaps the French Ligue 1 :yh_rotfl...

Actually, I think that's the worst red card I've ever seen...Did Terry spit on the referee after the incident and then that led to the red card? I can't think of anything else...

Perhaps he called the referee a "turkee"?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1392168 wrote: Ok, I've just finished watching the supposed "red card" from Terry and I have to say that I think the only thing left to conclude is that the referee either didn't see the incident, much beyond the Barcelona player already laying on the ground, or the ref was bought in an attempt to fix the game, either way the referee should be banned from any game above that of perhaps the French Ligue 1 :yh_rotfl...

Actually, I think that's the worst red card I've ever seen...Did Terry spit on the referee after the incident and then that led to the red card? I can't think of anything else...

Perhaps he called the referee a "turkee"?

The radio commentary suggested that it was the linesman who flagged it.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1392172 wrote: The radio commentary suggested that it was the linesman who flagged it.deleted previous statement...

Ok, I seen the video again, after having a minute of peace to do so, and I see now that Terry did blatantly knee the other team's player in the back purposefully.

Stupid of Terry
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

John Obi Mikel believes UEFA should allow Chelsea's four suspended players to take part in May's Champions League final. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ns?cc=5901

Is that even possible? What would the point of even having red, and yellow cards be if players are just going to be reinstated?

With four of Chelsea's players "banned" it's not looking good for them to go on and win it...I sincerely doubt that these players will be allowed to play. I just want to know why Mikel would sound so childish in asking to have players red carded to be allowed to play and why? Because he's not getting his way :yh_cry:yh_cry:yh_cry:yh_cry
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I've just stumbled upon the Serie A standings and anyone that is a fan of soccer/football can appreciate Juventus 34 match unbeaten streak! http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/liv ... -a?cc=5901

I don't care which team or league one plays in that is phenomenal! Given the remainder of their schedule there's no reason to believe they cannot go undefeated...I've always admired Juventus...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I had to stop watching Fulham's match against Everton, it was far too brutal!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham defeated Liverpool 1-0 in Anfield

Bayern Munich play against Chelsea in the European Champions League Final 2011/12 UEFA Champions League Fixtures / Schedules - ESPN Soccernet

and Roy take no prisoners, cut to the chase, never says anything unexpected Hodgson is appointed England manager! BBC Sport - Roy Hodgson not surprised to be given England manager's job

I think Roy is a fantastic manager to be honest and I thought his short time at Liverpool was unjust
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

One game left and Man U and Man City are tied at 86 points, but Man City has the advantage by goal difference and the fact they play a much weaker team, at home! With a record of 17 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses at home Man City looks set to lift the trophy!

Anyone puking yet?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1393294 wrote: One game left and Man U and Man City are tied at 86 points, but Man City has the advantage by goal difference and the fact they play a much weaker team, at home! With a record of 17 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses at home Man City looks set to lift the trophy!

Anyone puking yet?

Yes :-(
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1393316 wrote: Yes :-(Here we go...

Sadly the rest of the league is playing at the same time as Man City and Man U but anyway, this day should be a very interesting one!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

QPR could very well go down
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow, so it was City's year...

Bolton would have stayed up if not for the pk...

Fulham finished 9th and I'm more than satisfied when they stay in the top half, well done Fulham!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh, btw, Newcastle beat out Chelsea, Everton, and Liverpool for the Europa League spot. I think that's probably more of a surprise than Man City winning the title.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

There are alot of rumors that Arsenal are wanting to sign Dempsey.

I hope he stays but Arsenal would be terrific for both him and perhaps American soccer(I'm not sure of any American that has signed with a bigger club with exception of Onyewu to AC Milan but at least Dempsey has proved himself in the league and will more than likely work out)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1393564 wrote: There are alot of rumors that Arsenal are wanting to sign Dempsey.

I hope he stays but Arsenal would be terrific for both him and perhaps American soccer(I'm not sure of any American that has signed with a bigger club with exception of Onyewu to AC Milan but at least Dempsey has proved himself in the league and will more than likely work out)

A couple spring to mind :-

Brad Freidel for Liverpool and Spurs

Tim Howard for Man U
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1393607 wrote: A couple spring to mind :-

Brad Freidel for Liverpool and Spurs

Tim Howard for Man UYes, you're right, but I recall Tim Howard only making a very limited amount of appearances(45 that I see on wiki) for Man U for his 4 years at the club.

I suppose Freidel will always be considered as the star work horse that he is but looking at his file I see he only played in 25 games for Liverpool who then was signed by newly relegated Blackburn. He then played for Villa, a very good team during his time there, but finished 16th this year. Tottenham has played incredibly well this year so it will be interesting to see how long Freidel plays for them...

I'm looking for Dempsey to make a much bigger impact than the very limited appearances by Americans in the big clubs. I know Liverpool has a bigger stadium but I would be disappointed if Dempsey goes there. Fulham is an up and coming team and Dempsey was a huge part of that so it's always sad when people leave a club for another that isn't leaps and bounds above them.

It's a sad day for Fulham when Dempsey leaves, he's done so well for the club.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1393636 wrote: Yes, you're right, but I recall Tim Howard only making a very limited amount of appearances(45 that I see on wiki) for Man U for his 4 years at the club.

I suppose Freidel will always be considered as the star work horse that he is but looking at his file I see he only played in 25 games for Liverpool who then was signed by newly relegated Blackburn. He then played for Villa, a very good team during his time there, but finished 16th this year. Tottenham has played incredibly well this year so it will be interesting to see how long Freidel plays for them...

I'm looking for Dempsey to make a much bigger impact than the very limited appearances by Americans in the big clubs. I know Liverpool has a bigger stadium but I would be disappointed if Dempsey goes there. Fulham is an up and coming team and Dempsey was a huge part of that so it's always sad when people leave a club for another that isn't leaps and bounds above them.

It's a sad day for Fulham when Dempsey leaves, he's done so well for the club.

It's no disgrace being second choice behind Van Der Saar or even David James in his heyday :-)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1393662 wrote: It's no disgrace being second choice behind Van Der Saar or even David James in his heyday :-)I suppose it says alot about my expectations of Dempsey, his work ethic and skill that he's proven to have has both impressed and surprised me. I expect he'll win a starting spot on the team for many years, if ,of course, he decides to leave Craven Cottage, which seems very likely atm.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

So Chelsea lifted the European Champions League trophy yesterday...

Very good for English football...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1394050 wrote: So Chelsea lifted the European Champions League trophy yesterday...

Very good for English football...

But not so good for Spurs?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1394185 wrote: But not so good for Spurs?I suppose it is up to us to convince the Spurs that Chelsea's win is good for them in the long run :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

USA play Scotland today at 8pm EST, or, I believe, 1am Scotland time

England play Norway as well in about 4 hours time...

What about Denmark smashing Brazil 3-0?...Perhaps Brazil have their C team out there...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1394264 wrote: I suppose it is up to us to convince the Spurs that Chelsea's win is good for them in the long run :yh_bigsmi

You've as much chance of convincing a Rangers fan to cheer on Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1394419 wrote: You've as much chance of convincing a Rangers fan to cheer on Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final :wah:So, you're saying there is a chance :yh_wink

Wow, I didn't realize that Wales was set to play Mexico. Although the match has been postponed until tomorrow at 3:05 pm EST I will definitely try and see this game.

Anyway, Switzerland netted 5 goals against Germany, winning by 2. England beat Norway 1-0.

Scotland is about to get smacked down by the boys in red, white, and blue, and I don't mean France :thinking: or the Czech Republic :thinking: or Russia, or oh nevermind...

The USA baby! *brings out the psuedo-trumpet* *BAAAAAAHHH BAAAAAAAAHHHH*

Oh...

So if I make such loud and obnoxious noises then the USA has to win otherwise I'll look like a fool
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ouch...

USA 5 - 1 Scotland

The US team are looking very sharp and threatening, I'm very pleased to have Klinsmann heading the ship...

Landon Donovan scored a hat trick and assisted in the fifth goal. I honestly think signing another 4 year contract with the Galaxy was a mistake and I think he needs to move on from the MLS. He wants a spot at Everton but I can't see him going within the next two years even.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wales square off against Mexico in about 4 1/2 hours.

I want Wales to embarrass them...6-0
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1394485 wrote: Ouch...

USA 5 - 1 Scotland

The US team are looking very sharp and threatening, I'm very pleased to have Klinsmann heading the ship...

Landon Donovan scored a hat trick and assisted in the fifth goal. I honestly think signing another 4 year contract with the Galaxy was a mistake and I think he needs to move on from the MLS. He wants a spot at Everton but I can't see him going within the next two years even.

A superb result for the US, congratulations.

The one I particularly liked, however, was :-

France 0 - 1 Iceland
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1394519 wrote: A superb result for the US, congratulations.

The one I particularly liked, however, was :-

France 0 - 1 IcelandIf that surprised you then I'm sure you would have been elated at the Iceland 2-0 France scoreline at halftime...Sadly the French prevailed by scoring two quick goals less than 5 minutes before stoppage time to win 3-2...

I suppose scoring two goals against France can be considered a victory in many respects. With a population of roughly 350,000 I'd say they should celebrate in the streets for weeks!

Meanwhile, Mexico defeated Wales 2-0...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, so USA lost 1-4 to Brazil.

The scoreline was harsh but not undeserved. The US gave up a penalty from an inadvertent handball in the box and their only goal scored was a very good one but Brazil is just quite simply a better team. It's obvious the experience these people have. They play as if they honestly do nothing else but eat, use the rest room, play football, and then retire for the night to wake up from their dreams of scoring goals to repeat the day.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1394905 wrote: Ok, so USA lost 1-4 to Brazil.

The scoreline was harsh but not undeserved. The US gave up a penalty from an inadvertent handball in the box and their only goal scored was a very good one but Brazil is just quite simply a better team. It's obvious the experience these people have. They play as if they honestly do nothing else but eat, use the rest room, play football, and then retire for the night to wake up from their dreams of scoring goals to repeat the day.

A very good description of a Brazilian trying to get into a major team - given the conditions a lot of the players grew up in, why wouldn't they?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1394926 wrote: A very good description of a Brazilian trying to get into a major team - given the conditions a lot of the players grew up in, why wouldn't they?Fifa should make a rule that they cannot have more than 3 players on the national team above the age of 20.

I have a feeling every Brazilian player in the country is gearing up for a chance to play in the World Cup 2014. They're going to be a handful I can already see it.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”