American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Chuckle. Can't help with the game I'm afraid. But how bizarre that any forum with English people on it should have only one footie fan - and he's American!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone missing Chelsea v Liverpool? 1-1 64th

Fantastic end to end game...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Clodhopper;1376208 wrote: Chuckle. Can't help with the game I'm afraid. But how bizarre that any forum with English people on it should have only one footie fan - and he's American!I would say most have grown up with the game and they've equally grown numb to it. I will say that I know a few on here that are avid supporters of the game but it always hadn't been this way...

For me after following the game on a week by week basis for over 5 years is still new enough to me to have such a passion for the sport. It was inevitable as I hate watching basketball and baseball, although I love to play both, and American football has become a non stop circus act with not enough money in contracts...I still watch American Football it's just a bit hard sometimes when me team couldn't beat a an American football team from Saudi Arabia, but they are making strides...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Does Croatia or Uruguay surprise anyone?

Uruguay is placed as 4th in the World, above Argentina and Brazil. I knew it was coming but perhaps not this soon. Looking at Conmebol we see Uruguay 4th, Brazil 5th, Argentina 10th, Chile 16th, Paraguay 28th, and Colombia 30th.

Uruguay and Paraguay I've always respected and felt they were underrated alot of times but now with Chile and Columbia playing extremely good football I see Conmebol as being a well rounded and incredibly competitive region.

Perhaps Argentina and Brazil will always be expected to contend for the World Cup title but I think a few more teams in Conmebol can beat any given team on any given day. Not quite sure if this has been the case in the past perhaps in fluctuations but it's apparent to me now...

Colombia for one is a rapidly growing country and I think football there can reflect this in alot of ways as ironic as it is. Colombia is my darkhorse team in Conmebol but perhaps I'm a bit biased because my daughter is half Colombian. Doesn't mean they don't have a great young team ad that they most certainly do
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Liverpool v Man City 0-0 26:00

Man City is in complete control and looks like they are above and beyond Liverpool's caliber...

Could be Man City's year...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone know what the best website to see the Club World Rankings is? I seen a few but they mostly consist of a progression of years as opposed to each year...

Is Juventus in the top 5 in the world now?

AC Milan seem to be extraordinary, I'm watching them pick apart Chievo 4 - 0 in the 53:00

Best team Real Madrid? Barca?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1376993 wrote: Liverpool v Man City 0-0 26:00

Man City is in complete control and looks like they are above and beyond Liverpool's caliber...

Could be Man City's year...

Oh, Liverpool 1-1 Man City...Own goal on Lescot but I will say Liverpool clawed back to become the more threatening team after the first half...

Balotelli seems like a loose cannon...I actually think he's an #@$%*#$%*#$* after seeing him take that pk against Newcastle, what a jerk...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1377040 wrote: Anyone know what the best website to see the Club World Rankings is? I seen a few but they mostly consist of a progression of years as opposed to each year...

Is Juventus in the top 5 in the world now?

AC Milan seem to be extraordinary, I'm watching them pick apart Chievo 4 - 0 in the 53:00

Best team Real Madrid? Barca?

Barca without a doubt.

You could try :-

IFFHS

which gives current position and position a year ago but I'm not convinced - Chelsea 28th behind Stoke?

Juve in 105th is another surprise.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1377041 wrote: Oh, Liverpool 1-1 Man City...Own goal on Lescot but I will say Liverpool clawed back to become the more threatening team after the first half...

Balotelli seems like a loose cannon...I actually think he's an #@$%*#$%*#$* after seeing him take that pk against Newcastle, what a jerk...

I watched it in the highlights and I'd say Liverpool were unlucky not to get more out of it.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1377093 wrote: Barca without a doubt.

You could try :-

IFFHS

which gives current position and position a year ago but I'm not convinced - Chelsea 28th behind Stoke?

Juve in 105th is another surprise.Yes, I'd visited that site and the teams look sort of accurate from my perspective except there are random teams strewn within every 10 positions that I just cannot understand...

3. (4.) CA Vélez Sarsfield Argentina/4 279,0...???

And not only Chelsea behind Stoke but also teams from Ecuador and Paraguay ahead of Chelsea...???

Fulham ahead of Valencia???

12. (11.) Paris Saint-Germain FC France/4 222,0...???

I'd like to know what these points are based off of...

PSG is good but I wouldn't even have them in my own top 20, well, ok maybe 20th...

How about...

1. Barca

2. Real Madrid

3. Man City

4. Man United

5. Bayern Munchen

6. Juventus

7. Porto

8. Valencia

9. Chelsea

10. AC Milan

11. Zt. St. Petersburg

12. Tottenham

13. Montpellier

14. PSV

15. Benfica

16. Sevilla

17. Boca

18. Arsenal

19. Liverpool

20. P-S-G

21. Borrussia Dortmund

22. Twente

23. Lille

24. Lisbon

25. Lazio

26. Udinese

27. Inter Milan

28. Schalke

29. Atletico Madrid

30. Rangers

31. Celtic

32. Fenerbache

33. AZ Alkmaar

34. Ajax

35. Napoli

36. Marseille

37. Galatasaray

38. Monchengladbach

39. Everton

40. Heerenveen

How's that for a bit of fun?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1377887 wrote: Yes, I'd visited that site and the teams look sort of accurate from my perspective except there are random teams strewn within every 10 positions that I just cannot understand...

3. (4.) CA Vélez Sarsfield Argentina/4 279,0...???

And not only Chelsea behind Stoke but also teams from Ecuador and Paraguay ahead of Chelsea...???

Fulham ahead of Valencia???

12. (11.) Paris Saint-Germain FC France/4 222,0...???

I'd like to know what these points are based off of...

PSG is good but I wouldn't even have them in my own top 20, well, ok maybe 20th...

How about...

1. Barca

2. Real Madrid

3. Man City

4. Man United

5. Bayern Munchen

6. Juventus

7. Porto

8. Valencia

9. Chelsea

10. AC Milan

11. Zt. St. Petersburg

12. Tottenham

13. Montpellier

14. PSV

15. Benfica

16. Sevilla

17. Boca

18. Arsenal

19. Liverpool

20. P-S-G

21. Borrussia Dortmund

22. Twente

23. Lille

24. Lisbon

25. Lazio

26. Udinese

27. Inter Milan

28. Schalke

29. Atletico Madrid

30. Rangers

31. Celtic

32. Fenerbache

33. AZ Alkmaar

34. Ajax

35. Napoli

36. Marseille

37. Galatasaray

38. Monchengladbach

39. Everton

40. Heerenveen

How's that for a bit of fun?

I'm fairly sure that the ranking are based on results in the region's competitions and the World Club Cup. As Chelsea have comparatively little history in the Champion's League they have an artificially low position. Why Stoke, who have only been in Europe three times in forty years and never beyond the "round of 64", are so high I don't know.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

As a bit of a relative point here is a link to The Transfer League lists all players transfers and transfer fees for english premier league football clubs. The transfers are updated regularly during the January and summer transfer window. We also bring you the very latest transfer news in the transfer windows.Home

Together with FULL CASTROL EDGE RANKINGS | Castrol Football | Official Sponsor UEFA EURO 2012™ perhaps it would be a better formula to take these player ratings into consideration and them apply them to each team ultimately resulting in a well defined club ranking...Seems appropriate...Me man Clint Dempsey is ranked 91 in the world! Did anyone see his goal against Livypool?...:yh_devil
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1378029 wrote: As a bit of a relative point here is a link to Home

Together with FULL CASTROL EDGE RANKINGS | Castrol Football | Official Sponsor UEFA EURO 2012™ perhaps it would be a better formula to take these player ratings into consideration and them apply them to each team ultimately resulting in a well defined club ranking...Seems appropriate...Me man Clint Dempsey is ranked 91 in the world! Did anyone see his goal against Livypool?...:yh_devil

Nooooo - the Man City of recent times shows that having a team full of stars does not make for a good team until they decide to be a full team of good players.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bolton continue to disappoint along with Blackburn...I never expected Bolton and Blackburn to be struggling against relegation but it seems they are...Is it because the Premier League is that competitive, are these teams in desperate need of a new manager, or are the players under-performing?

Fulham finally win at the expense of a Bolton loss today and a much needed one at that...Stoke still seem to understand what it takes to win...Man City's loss to Chelsea opens things up for Man U but still a comfortable 7 points ahead of 3rd place Chelsea...

Tottenham seem to have shaken off their slow starts to the season but losing to Stoke never helps...How far will Newcastle slip?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wigan 1 - 1 Chelsea

The city of Manchester have to love that!

Man City play Arsenal tomorrow...Will this be the deciding factor for the title?

No,..Man U are never counted out I suppose...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

With the recent turmoil regarding racism in football I can't help but wonder if this is something that has always been prevalent and that it's only more recently that the English premier league or other leagues are increasing their intolerance to the issue...But...

Now it seems John Terry is under the microscope after the eight match ban imposed on Saurez... John Terry to face criminal charge over racism claim - ESPN Soccernet
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh, btw, Fulham play Man U in about 3 and 1/2 hours...

You better run Man U...:yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1371829 wrote: Well Tevez seems to want to answer that question...

Anyway...

Why in the world did Wright-Phillips go to QPR? Am I missing something here?

Why hasn't Al Fayed increased the seating at Craven Cottage? Europa League Final in 09-10 and consistently a top 10 team yet we only seat 24,000?...Not like he hasn't made alot of money at Fulham from staying up for so long and such an increase in fan base.

Fulham can beat Manchester United easily 3-0 yet remains to rival every other team with the least amount of average attendance. The stadium sells out every week, no?It seems Al-Fayed is gearing up to increase Fulham's seating soon...Let's see if he goes through with it...Fulham post record profits of £4.8m - ESPN Soccernet

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1379327 wrote: With the recent turmoil regarding racism in football I can't help but wonder if this is something that has always been prevalent and that it's only more recently that the English premier league or other leagues are increasing their intolerance to the issue...But...

Very much so. It was an accepted part of the scene until recently but racism and thuggery are now considered unacceptable.

K.Snyder;1379327 wrote: Now it seems John Terry is under the microscope after the eight match ban imposed on Saurez... John Terry to face criminal charge over racism claim - ESPN Soccernet

JT was under the microscope before the Suarez incident. It is only now that the CPS consider that they have enough evidence to prosecute.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1379328 wrote: Oh, btw, Fulham play Man U in about 3 and 1/2 hours...

You better run Man U...:yh_bigsmi

They did whilst Fulham walked - ouch.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1379437 wrote: They did whilst Fulham walked - ouch.

I remember walking away for a second with the score 3-0 in favor of Man U only to see the end 5-0...It's honestly sickening...:yh_bigsmi

Anyway...

I'm looking at attendance figures for most of the sporting leagues in the world and I hadn't realized just how close Major League Soccer is to the French Ligue 1 and more so the Eredivisie...To add to that the shocking truth of just how doomed soccer is here in America...Baseball, which on the basis of average attendance, seemed to be a dying bread but with so many games played absolutely trumps any sport near it...Although I'd like to see the figures for Nascar, none the less soccer was never given a fair stint to begin with here, how very depressing

List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia *Clicking on the arrows within each column allows one to see each statistic in order

It does go without saying that Major League Soccer needs to keep their domestic players at home in order to create an interest. I don't see that happening any time soon. It's left up to the US national team to create that spark and I think Klinsmann can do that...We'll see...

Landon Donovan seems to have moved right into a starting role off the bat<--- and I'm looking for Brek Shea to have his name thrown about across Europe, good player...

Meanwhile me man Dempsey just scored a hat trick against Charlton :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Everton are having an identity crisis. They're too happy allowing Tottenham all of the possession. No unison, no attacking drive at all...

Tottenham up 2-0 in stoppage time
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Blackburn went down to 10 men halfway through the first half with the score still at 0-0 while playing at home against Fulham...

What's that mean for Fulham? Yep you guessed it, Fulham are only down by 1 goal leading in to the second half.

I'm going to vomit
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham allows 3 goals against 10 man Blackburn...

Was it honestly all Hodgson?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham played well in the second half against Newcastle winning 5-2 after going a goal down late in the first half. Me man Dempsey scored his second consecutive hat trick in as many games although his first premier league treble. I've looked at Dempsey's stats since his entrance to English football and they do coincide with my observation that he continiously improves every season and considering how influential he's become to Fulham's success I think he's well on his way to superstar status. Time will tell but one thing is for sure the man is a great footballer.

Fulham work well together at times but sometimes they just implode...I suppose the team is at a point that I can be happy with considering how almost certain I was to see them relegated only a few years ago...

Man City still seems to want this silver cup thing called a trophy...

Pop quiz -

When Man City plays another team what does at least one player from the opposing team always say?

Answer -

"They're not going to stop until they score, are they?"
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

QPR snag up Djibril Cisse from Lazio and shockingly they sign Bobby Zamora from Fulham as well...I honestly didn't see that coming. Mark Hughes must have persuaded Bobby Z with one hell of a speech. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

None the less his work for Fulham payed off in the end and he was a fantastic post up player(still is).

Ah d@*^ it!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1383155 wrote: QPR snag up Djibril Cisse from Lazio and shockingly they sign Bobby Zamora from Fulham as well...I honestly didn't see that coming. Mark Hughes must have persuaded Bobby Z with one hell of a speech. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

None the less his work for Fulham payed off in the end and he was a fantastic post up player(still is).

Ah d@*^ it!

Two excellent players who will do the job for them and kudos to QPR for signing them.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1383210 wrote: Two excellent players who will do the job for them and kudos to QPR for signing them.I'm not sure about Cisses as I haven't seen him play really but I'll take your word for it. He was highly rated years ago before he snapped his leg in half ,..MAAAAANNNN that was horrible!

I honestly cringe every time I hear his name. I can't get the video out of my head...I'm not posting it either, I'm far too compassionate to do that to someone...

Bobby Z I used to think was a complete tank without the tracks...He's proved himself now...Hope he does well...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LONDON — John Terry was removed as England’s soccer captain Friday as he awaits trial for racial abuse. The star Chelsea defender remains eligible to play for the national team at the European Championship.John Terry removed as England captain while awaiting trial on racism charge but can still play - The Washington Post

Anyone think this is too harsh by the FA? Seems to me he's only been charged and that there's no real proof...Although if you ask me I'd say he has had the track record of a drunken baboon in a back alley pub...

Meanwhile...

Murphy bowled over by Extra Time project
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow!

I debated whether or not I should watch the Chelsea vs Man U game and decided to study instead...Looking up periodically I've seen Chelsea ahead 1-0, then 3-1, then 3-3...

Anyone watching the game? 2 penalties? Come on!!!! Shady calls?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1383593 wrote: Wow!

I debated whether or not I should watch the Chelsea vs Man U game and decided to study instead...Looking up periodically I've seen Chelsea ahead 1-0, then 3-1, then 3-3...

Anyone watching the game? 2 penalties? Come on!!!! Shady calls?

Highlights at 22:00 as I could not get to see it live - likely to be extended by the sound of it.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1383633 wrote: Highlights at 22:00 as I could not get to see it live - likely to be extended by the sound of it.

First a stonewall penalty, the second less so but still yes.

What a match
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1383642 wrote: First a stonewall penalty, the second less so but still yes.

I suppose the rule states the player must contact the ball first and clearly wasn't the case in both...

The second was very similar to the penalty Baird gave up to Man City so naturally I strenuously oppose the second penalty call :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Uh-oh... LONDON -- The soap opera of English soccer reached yet another a noisy climax Wednesday when national team coach Fabio Capello quit angrily just eight hours after potential successor Harry Redknapp was cleared in a London court of tax evasion charges.

Only four months before the European Championship, Capello's employers stripped John Terry of the England captaincy over racism charges without consulting the manager -- and as a result now finds itself seeking a new team leader.Fabio Capello quits as England coach after John Terry spat - ESPN

Anyone see it coming? From my understanding his record with England is fantastic so I'd have to think it's a total character war between Capello and the FA...

Will Redknapp take over?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1383977 wrote: Uh-oh... Fabio Capello quits as England coach after John Terry spat - ESPN

Anyone see it coming? From my understanding his record with England is fantastic so I'd have to think it's a total character war between Capello and the FA...

Will Redknapp take over?

If you enforce a decision over a managers head and then haul him over the coals for making a comment about it then it is no surprise when he cries "enough".

As to 'Arry, it will be interesting to see whether the thrill of taking Spurs to the top can outweigh the Kudos of the England job. For me, moving on would be win / win for him so he probably will. (Spurs fail it's the fault of the new manager, if they succeed then it's because he set them up for it).
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1384397 wrote: For me, moving on would be win / win for him so he probably will. (Spurs fail it's the fault of the new manager, if they succeed then it's because he set them up for it).I would think if he moves on then it's an indication of how much he feels Tottenham cannot win the title this year. It's a loss for Tottenham if he leaves I'd say...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1384469 wrote: I would think if he moves on then it's an indication of how much he feels Tottenham cannot win the title this year. It's a loss for Tottenham if he leaves I'd say...

Very much a loss for Spurs but a boost for him which is what will drive the decision.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Incredibly fast paced game at Queens Park right now...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Uh-oh...Diakate sent off in his debut already...

How fantastic,..I mean,..I mean this is terrible...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow, the second half turned equally as dull...Fulham 1 - 0 QPR

What fantastic results this week for Fulham to move swiftly into a 3-way tie for 9th place(I suppose not a tie exactly but we have to remain optimistic)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Cardiff leading Liverpool 1-0 in Carling Cup Final... :-2
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

"Andy Carroll... The striker hammers a left footed effort into Row Z from 30 yards. Abysmal." Gamecast: Cardiff City v Liverpool - English Carling Cup - ESPN Soccernet

:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Too bad for old Cardiff...They seemed to have played very well...

Report: Cardiff City v Liverpool - English Carling Cup - ESPN Soccernet
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

USA get set to face Italy in a friendly in about 15 minutes...Oh boy :yh_sigh :wah:

U.S. Soccer MatchTracker | U.S. Men's National Team vs. Italy

Colombia play Mexico at 8pm eastern as well. I'm looking forward to seeing that game too...

PS: I'm surprised to see Dempsey in the lineup
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

USA beat Italy 1 - 0

USA played very well and the back line was superb in keeping the Italians from piercing through.

Great result
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1386110 wrote: USA beat Italy 1 - 0

USA played very well and the back line was superb in keeping the Italians from piercing through.

Great result

As you say, a great result.

Even though Italy are not the force they once were it shows that the US are an up and coming team.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1386695 wrote: As you say, a great result.

Even though Italy are not the force they once were it shows that the US are an up and coming team.I'm not experienced enough to know what are good tactics and not but they are obviously talented and I do hope Jurgi takes them very far. I don't know if it's because I like Jurgen Klinsmann or if they have already improved but I do think Klinsmann is the best thing that has happened for the US team and I'm looking forward to seeing Jurgi stay for quite some time.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1386895 wrote: I'm not experienced enough to know what are good tactics and not but they are obviously talented and I do hope Jurgi takes them very far. I don't know if it's because I like Jurgen Klinsmann or if they have already improved but I do think Klinsmann is the best thing that has happened for the US team and I'm looking forward to seeing Jurgi stay for quite some time.

He was a brilliant player and has proved himself to be a good manager.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1386898 wrote: He was a brilliant player and has proved himself to be a good manager.Good, because although I liked and admired Bob Bradley's work ethic his mannerisms made Roy Hodgson look like a hooligan...

I never thought I'd see the day I'd say someone bored me more than ole Roy, the brilliant man that he was :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man oh man does/did Fulham look awful against Swansea

Return to “Wide World of Sports”