816 guests are online right now

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

How about a few of you signing up today? ;)
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

buttercup;504524 wrote: How about a few of you signing up today? ;)

the majority are web crawlers, simply indexing new posts here for the search engines.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Oh how dull, how many guests do we have then? approx
spot

Post by spot »

"right now" is partly central to the question. It actually covers a considerable period of time. The other point is that a single crawler can count multiple times in that guest total since it can appear to the site as more than a single IP address as it traverses the hyperlinks.

eta: here's a translation of "Guest Count" into English. The number of distinct IP addresses which have accessed ForumGarden without logging in over the past period, where the period is a timeout value set in the Administrator Settings configuration panel, typically to 4 or 8 hours.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

spot;504542 wrote: "right now" is partly central to the question. It actually covers a considerable period of time. The other point is that a single crawler can count multiple times in that guest total since it can appear to the site as more than a single IP address as it traverses the hyperlinks.

eta: here's a translation of "Guest Count" into English. The number of distinct IP addresses which have accessed ForumGarden without logging in over the past period, where the period is a timeout value set in the Administrator Settings configuration panel, typically to 4 or 8 hours.

this ignores the kernel TCP_SO_LINGER value, which - on busy webservers, which FG is - is often configured fairly low, in order to free up inactive buffers, as they can consume non-trivial amounts of memory.

most crawlers are smart enough (and indeed it's desireable from their 'point of view') to disconnect from the server well before any timeout value that would be set within the administrator control panel.

so, wrong again spot.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

anastrophe;504572 wrote:

so, wrong again spot.

Booring!

Do we have to go through this every time someone opens an innocent thread?
spot

Post by spot »

anastrophe;504572 wrote: this ignores the kernel TCP_SO_LINGER value, which - on busy webservers, which FG is - is often configured fairly low, in order to free up inactive buffers, as they can consume non-trivial amounts of memory.

most crawlers are smart enough (and indeed it's desireable from their 'point of view') to disconnect from the server well before any timeout value that would be set within the administrator control panel.

so, wrong again spot.
You think vbulletin counts OS buffers rather than querying the database for the guest count? I don't think it goes anywhere near them. vbulletin runs just as happily on Microsoft platforms as it does on Linux boxes, why would it look at explicitly Linux parameters?

The definition of a guest in vbulletin is all records on the session table with a userid of zero.

A session is opened when a browser connects to the server without a current session cookie. To that extent it's those which are counted rather than discrete IP addresses. I've written it either way in the past depending on the context but I think that's what vbulletin adopted.

The session can then be logged in, in which case the userid becomes non-zero and the session switches out of the Guest column into the Member column.

Sessions close and the session cookie invalidates (depending on implementation) when a logout happens. Failing that (which applies to all guests) the only vbulletin database recognition that a session has terminated is through timeout. There's absolutely no provision at all inside vbulletin for a simple TCP/IP exchange, as opposed to an explicit logout, to affect a session close within the database. The Guest count is derived from the vbulletin database and has nothing to do the host operating system internals.

What gnawing worm in your entrail is forcing you to fight over this? You got tired of "debating" with Novelty after all that time?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I'm clever too. I can count to over 100....if my Mom prompts me on the big numbers that is :o

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

spot;504588 wrote: You think vbulletin counts OS buffers rather than querying the database for the guest count? I don't think it goes anywhere near them. vbulletin runs just as happily on Microsoft platforms as it does on Linux boxes, why would it look at explicitly Linux parameters?

more evidence that you've not the slightest clue what you're talking about. TCP_SO_LINGER, along with virtually all other kernel TCP options, are just as much a part of microsoft platforms as "linux" (unix) platforms. or are we to understand that you are not aware that the microsoft (NT and variants) TCP stack was built almost entirely from the FreeBSD TCP stack?

The definition of a guest in vbulletin is all records on the session table with a userid of zero.

A session is opened when a browser connects to the server without a current session cookie. To that extent it's those which are counted rather than discrete IP addresses. I've written it either way in the past depending on the context but I think that's what vbulletin adopted.

The session can then be logged in, in which case the userid becomes non-zero and the session switches out of the Guest column into the Member column.

Sessions close and the session cookie invalidates (depending on implementation) when a logout happens. Failing that (which applies to all guests) the only vbulletin database recognition that a session has terminated is through timeout. There's absolutely no provision at all inside vbulletin for a simple TCP/IP exchange, as opposed to an explicit logout, to affect a session close within the database. The Guest count is derived from the vbulletin database and has nothing to do the host operating system internals.

sigh. and how, dear boy, do you surmise that the timeout determines that the session has been idle? how do you surmise that the timer determines whether the session is active, if not by determining whether the connection is established? there may not be a *direct* mechanism within vbulletin for polling the TCP status, but make no mistake, there could be no timer/timeout without at minimum an indirect mechanism for doing so. a session becomes idle when no traffic is passing. traffic. you know, packets. TCP/IP datagrams.

duh.

What gnawing worm in your entrail is forcing you to fight over this? You got tired of "debating" with Novelty after all that time?

setting aside your colourful words, this is merely another distraction. if you'd perhaps take it in mind to stop presenting yourself as knowing things which you do not know (i.e. how many guest connections at any given time are real humans or crawlers), then perhaps these unpleasant interludes could be minimized.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

Bryn Mawr;504576 wrote: Booring!

Do we have to go through this every time someone opens an innocent thread?

no, we certainly don't. spot could merely refrain from trampling his leaden foot all over the garden.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

So less than 100 then :-3
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

anastrophe;504602 wrote: no, we certainly don't. spot could merely refrain from trampling his leaden foot all over the garden.

Maybe you could stop trying to get the last word in?

There's two of you playing this silly game so why "he's got to give up"?

Grow up and try to behave like an adult
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

or one of them could answer the op's question :thinking:
spot

Post by spot »

Ah. A new meaning of the word "innocent" that I hadn't met before.

Don't delete the post, Clancy, or someone might resurrect it and post it repeatedly.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

Bryn Mawr;504620 wrote: Maybe you could stop trying to get the last word in?

There's two of you playing this silly game so why "he's got to give up"?

Grow up and try to behave like an adult

you've actually added nothing of any substance to the thread, bryn mawr. nothing at all. spot's been spouting a lot of silly nonsense, and i've countered it with - shriek! - actual facts. your posts have been metacomments that have zilch to do with the thread - besides posing personal attacks.

care to think again before looking down your nose?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Anyone care to take a bet on which page the origional question gets answered? :D
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

buttercup;504637 wrote: Anyone care to take a bet on which page the origional question gets answered? :D

well - the original question was rhetorical, as 'guest' can't really reply. as to how many of 'guest' are actual human beings, it's a fairly tedious task to go through the current connections to count them up, and i'd hazard tombstone has far more weighty matters to dwell on, such as "i wonder if i should get a haircut" or "has the mail arrived?".
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I admit I too often wonder why we have 6,000 members and about what, 70 posters? By the way whatever happened to Issie?? :confused:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

anastrophe;504648 wrote: well - the original question was rhetorical, as 'guest' can't really reply. as to how many of 'guest' are actual human beings, it's a fairly tedious task to go through the current connections to count them up, and i'd hazard tombstone has far more weighty matters to dwell on, such as "i wonder if i should get a haircut" or "has the mail arrived?".

I did say approx & thought you may have had a rough idea, do you?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

spot;504633 wrote: Ah. A new meaning of the word "innocent" that I hadn't met before.

Don't delete the post, Clancy, or someone might resurrect it and post it repeatedly.

Well he at least has to go for third time lucky Spot :rolleyes:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Thanks Kieth i did notice your other post, easy to get the two threads confused tonight :yh_giggle
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

anastrophe;504635 wrote: you've actually added nothing of any substance to the thread, bryn mawr. nothing at all. spot's been spouting a lot of silly nonsense, and i've countered it with - shriek! - actual facts. your posts have been metacomments that have zilch to do with the thread - besides posing personal attacks.

care to think again before looking down your nose?

No I wouldn't - I repeat my original statement it's booring.

In the current environment there is no justification for it unless you are deliberately trying to cause trouble.

If you are then a pox on you Sir. If not then I again suggest that you drop it.

and do you really consider that telling the pair of you to grow up is a personal attack? If I was into making personnal attacks I'd make a damned sight better job of it than that!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

buttercup;504637 wrote: Anyone care to take a bet on which page the origional question gets answered? :D
I might be up to 110 by then Cups :D

spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;504672 wrote: No I wouldn't - I repeat my original statement it's booring.It's a difference of viewpoint I've encountered before. Depending on background, a system is either regarded as defined by its code or by its operational parameters. I'm looking at a timeout as consisting of "show me all records on the session table which were last updated more than X seconds ago" followed by "delete those records", he's looking at parameter files to fine-tune... well, whatever operators fine-tune, it's a long time since I last ran a shift. My emphasis on the database content reflects my background. Paul's doesn't strike me as a series of logical constructs with any basis but somewhere in his wooly head I'm sure it makes perfect sense to him. One of us builds them, the other runs them. Each viewpoint allows the holder to function in his own environment.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

But it still doesent answer the bloody question :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

buttercup;504684 wrote: But it still doesent answer the bloody question :wah:The original question's being answered as we speak by newbies registering and posting Intro threads.

There's nothing visible on the board as it's configured that distinguishes the humans from the automata in the Guest count.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

buttercup;504684 wrote: But it still doesent answer the bloody question :wah:
Sorry, what was the question again? :-3

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg :-5 just gimmie an approx, humour me man, if your 35 people out, dont matter
spot

Post by spot »