another mother of the year with only hours to go

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Police: Toddler found playing on highway

POSTED: 4:15 p.m. EST, December 31, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- Drivers swerved cars and trucks into other lanes to avoid a 3-year-old boy, wearing only a diaper and T-shirt, who was playing along a busy highway after wandering away from home while his mother slept, police said.

Some motorists stopped along Interstate 465 on the city's west side Saturday to take care of the boy until officers arrived, the Indiana State Police said.

"I looked up and I seen this little ... boy running down the middle of the slow lane in the interstate. I just could not believe what I was seeing," said Troy Crady, one of those who stopped to help.

The boy, Damon Dyer, was unscathed as at least a half-dozen cars and a tractor-trailer rig swerved into other lanes to avoid him. Temperatures were in the mid 50s as the boy ran around barefooted.

Police said they traced the toddler to an apartment at a nearby complex, where they found his mother, Nancy Dyer asleep in a filthy apartment and his 2-year-old sister eating spaghetti off the floor.

Dyer, 33, was arrested on two counts of child neglect and remained in custody Sunday, officials said.

Senior State Trooper Cedric Merritt said that when Dyer was told of her son's activities, she responded: "Oh, he got out again."

Investigators said the boy got out his second-story apartment, went down stairs and got around a fence to reach the highway about 200 yards away.

Child Protective Services took the boy and his sister into custody, and investigators said the agency also had been called to the apartment Thursday because the boy was outside unsupervised.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i only hope child protective services follows up.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

This is the way parents should be held accountable for their kids right up until the kids are 18.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

OMG he could have been killed.. :mad: Stuff like this make my blood boil...:mad:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Hamster;501672 wrote: Do they have power to take them away for good over there LC?yes, but they have failed miserably. at least in florida. it's a big issue here.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

we have another current story here....a mother who taught her 6 kids to shoplift. it burns me! i did undercover shoplifter patrol for years, and the females who used their kids to shoplift i reported to children and families. one guy i caught showing his little boy how to remove tags from electronics. he used his boy as a mule!! i sure as hell got social services involved. then there's the females who put $1500. worth of stuff in a trash can and try to walk out the garden center. and the ones who hide merchandise under strollers. bitches. they hate me. too bad.
Belladonna

Post by Belladonna »

A 3 yr. old tot and she says "oh, he got out again". :eek: The poor boy and his sister!!

Yes! truely a blessing that this did not end up worse than it already is, and I wish I could hug those motorists who took care of him.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

I think there's room in Saddam's noose for her.
Red

Post by Red »

Aw those poor little mites, thank god he escaped unhurt, lets hope they both never have to go back to that woman again.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

"He got out again"???

Second story apartment?? If not smeared by a car. he could have fallen off the balcony or down the stairs. Good grief. :mad:
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Now I am sure she is crying to get her babies...who she loves so much....back home with her. :-5
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

I saw the news footage of the apartment and her other toddler. It was so disgusting I almost puked. THe diaper was hanging off and soiled. So soiled for so long it was eating through the outer layer. It was nasty.

HBIC
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

FOX is reporting the poor child is autistic. :(
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

lady cop;502346 wrote: FOX is reporting the poor child is autistic. :(

OH NO!! He has special needs and she is ignoring him? I hope a loving family get these sweet children and give them the love and attention that they deserve...I hate to see stories like these, just makes me want to puke!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

lady cop;502346 wrote: FOX is reporting the poor child is autistic. :(

Oh great. :-5
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I will make no comment on the story as I do not know the circumstances. But on a more uplifting note, my friends girlfriend gave birth to a baby daughter at 4.10 am in Ireland today, I am very happy for them, they will certainly never forget this new years. :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Hamster;502424 wrote: Oh wow!! Congratulations to them Gal!! :-6

Yes, life goes on as always, and thank God for it. Happy new year hammy. :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Magenta flame;502448 wrote: You lot are extremely judgemental aren't you. Well I suppose the fact that you're all perfect mothers you must understand the imperfect situation that this woman is in. It must me grand to be so perfect.

Anytime someone needs a lynch mob, just connect to the internet.i didn't posit an opinion on this mother....but i will say this...i never let my babies go out and play in traffic. where is responsibility? this mother has an autistic child and had no clue where he was.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Magenta flame;502448 wrote: You lot are extremely judgemental aren't you. Well I suppose the fact that you're all perfect mothers you must understand the imperfect situation that this woman is in. It must me grand to be so perfect.

Anytime someone needs a lynch mob, just connect to the internet.

Hello Magenta Flame :)

You cannot be offering this woman a defense -- are you?

There's a BIG difference between being a perfect mother and being a rotten one.
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Whoa! Magenta...your response surprised me, too. Surely anyone who's raised a child has made mistakes...but a 3-year-old autistic child and a 2-year old sister demand a LOCKED DOOR out of the apartment!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I guess my initial reaction as a Mother is Good God she's not fit to have those children in her care.

Then I sat back and thought, we know nothing about the Mother here, could she possibly be autistic herself, has she got Mental health problems, those children are young enough for her to be suffering from severe post natal depression, coping with an autistic child is incredibly hard work for a 'normal' parent, until we know all the details we should not judge.

I'd also like to add that those children would not be taken away from her here in the UK, Social services and other agencies would be sent in to assist the Mother in bringing up the children.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

good points Betty...i just wish someone would care about the child, the mother is clearly unfit. my cousin has an autistic child, he's never been alone in his life nomatter how hard it was for her.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

lady cop;502510 wrote: good points Betty...i just wish someone would care about the child, the mother is clearly unfit. my cousin has an autistic child, he's never been alone in his life nomatter how hard it was for her.

My son has Aspergers which is on the Autistic spectrum so I can relate to your cousin, it's incredibly hard work but also incredibly rewarding.

At this stage the Mother could well be unfit, but she could also possibly be unwell.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Doesn't take more than a few seconds to lock a door, especially if you're going to sleep! Children have died for lack of that simple act.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Magenta flame;502556 wrote: Yes that's quite correct Lulu, but if you're exhausted or unwell (depressed etc.) then it's a completely different story.

I'm a fully qualified child care worker and have worked with Austistic children as part of my studies. I've also fostered two Austistic children. I could never again accept an austistic child in fostering because I found myself extremely exhausted only after a couple of days, (I really did feel for the parents of this child. You couldn't take your eyes off her for a second because she'd be off ) I can't tell you the number of times I had to find this child and the number of times I had to pull her off the five foot front fence (I was chosen for this child because of the fencing around my house at the time) It was incredible, and I imagined the childs' original home must be like Fort Knox. I met her mother on several occasions and she looked like a wreck. Just for everyones info the other Austistic child I had in my care was extremely sedate. It looks like the woman in this story has a full on child.

So yes I sympathise with this particular woman and her situation. She is obviously not being taken care of by social services properly.

Betty it's the same in Australia you have to be doing something pretty darn bad to your child to have it taken away on a permanent basis. And it's getting to the point now that the child is no longer taken out of the home but the offending parent has to leave. Much better option in my opinion.

I thank my lucky stars most days that my son isn't that severe, I have friends who also have severly autistic children and these children are also extremely clever, they don't understand 'danger' and a locked door means nothing to them.

In England you can be a heroin addict recieving your fixes from the government and still be allowed to keep your children. :(

Return to “General Chit Chat”