What makes a Leader?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
tycal

What makes a Leader?

Post by tycal »

My question is in corporate business, should leaders identify and meet the needs of their people, serve them (the employee) or meet the wants of their people (the employee)? Seems with the reduction of work force in big business, coporate america has gotten away from what got them Their in the first place the people, nothing wrong with making a profit. but people dont forget, home base business are on the rise.
RedGlitter

What makes a Leader?

Post by RedGlitter »

HI.

Could you expand a little on what you are asking? Maybe an example?
guppy

What makes a Leader?

Post by guppy »

in todays world you better be able to balance the needs of the employees and be able to answer to the needs of your clients. we live in a "I want it now world" you treat every client like they are the most important one you've got. and make your employees feel like a valuable part of the team......
Bez

What makes a Leader?

Post by Bez »

My observations for what they're worth....

At the highest level, the 'leader' has to to have a long term vision for the business for it to survive. There may be 'unpleasant' decisions to be made and I guess the remoteness of the 'leader' makes this easier. Most of these decisions will be of a financial nature (relocating part of a business to the far east for example or downsizing etc)

At the same time, the 'leader' must have integrity and in my opinion be 'transparent' in it's dealings with internal and external personell. Obviously there are occasions when secrecy and confidentiality are required.

The 'leader' should never forget that it's most precious 'resource' are it's employees.

The bigger the company and the more remote the bosses the less caring the company appears to be....maybe the exception is the Virgin Group (Richard Branson).
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

What makes a Leader?

Post by Bez »

guppy;497762 wrote: in todays world you better be able to balance the needs of the employees and be able to answer to the needs of your clients. we live in a "I want it now world" you treat every client like they are the most important one you've got. and make your employees feel like a valuable part of the team......

I totally agree guppy...
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

What makes a Leader?

Post by Accountable »

It's more economical to give good benefits than good pay. People are loathe to give up their benefits and will put up with alot to keep them.

It's more economical to reduce turnover. People stay where they feel their contribution has value.

It's more economical to hire for "fit" and train for competence. It's impossible to hire competence and change the employee's personality to fit.

It's easier to fit a camel through the eye of a needle than to convince executives of these economic truths.

Namaste :-6
koan

What makes a Leader?

Post by koan »

I think you have to keep in mind that "good" is subjective. What you think is good might not match the ideas of the corporation. If you care about advancing your position then you have to align yourself with the corporation's vision. If you work for a company that likes to keep the employees insecure then you must be consistent with that. If your own ideas are important to you then you need to find a corporation to work for that agrees with your vision. The bigger the corporation the less likely they are to negotiate with you over what is considered to be "good". Usually a little compassion for the employees can be worked in even if the company doesn't care one whit about them but usually the employees will see through it if it is not a true reflection of the big picture.

The justification is that by focusing on profits, even if at the expense of the worker, the corporation can provide more jobs thereby helping more people. How you feel about that justification is a personal choice. I'm not particularly fond of the notion of profit over people so I don't fit in with the corporate world. The film world is such a place too. The idea that film is an artistic world is a notion only the newbies can maintain. The crew are actually the cheapest commodity on the set. They pretend to be our friends but they are happy when things are slow and technicians are desperate for work. It will generally save them at least $3 an hour.

There are ways of finding people who feel people are more important than product and, if that's what you want, don't give up the search. They're out there. If you want to transform a place that you think has got it wrong... good luck.
tycal

What makes a Leader?

Post by tycal »

RedGlitter;497760 wrote: HI.

Could you expand a little on what you are asking? Maybe an example?

Yes I can, you see a want and a need are two different things, example a want is simply a wish or a desire without any regard for the physical or psychological consequences. A need, on the orther hand, is a legitimate physical or psychological requirement for the well-being of a human being. again being in leadership should a leader meet the needs of the people? or should they meet the wants?
guppy

What makes a Leader?

Post by guppy »

a leader must meet enough of the needs of the employee to keep the business going. the goal is to make money. you cannot be one of the group. you are not one of your employees buddies. you must always stand on your own and make the tough decisions. it's a balancing act both ways. you cannot get your panties in a wad. take anything personal.....
tycal

What makes a Leader?

Post by tycal »

guppy;498294 wrote: a leader must meet enough of the needs of the employee to keep the business going. the goal is to make money. you cannot be one of the group. you are not one of your employees buddies. you must always stand on your own and make the tough decisions. it's a balancing act both ways. you cannot get your panties in a wad. take anything personal.....

You brought up a good point their, one you said the goal is to make money, Is'nt money a by product of a need filled by the company to fit the needs of the customer? and is'nt the employee that insturment used to fill those needs? If the role of the leader is to identify and meet the legitimate needs of the people then we or they should constantly asking ourselves, What are the needs of the people I lead?
Accountable

What makes a Leader?

Post by Accountable »

tycal;498369 wrote: You brought up a good point their, one you said the goal is to make money, Is'nt money a by product of a need filled by the company to fit the needs of the customer? and is'nt the employee that insturment used to fill those needs? If the role of the leader is to identify and meet the legitimate needs of the people then we or they should constantly asking ourselves, What are the needs of the people I lead?
Don't be fooled. The purpose of business is to make money - lots of it. How that money is made varies business to business, but that's its purpose. Every business has to spend money to make money - by maintaining a building, buying machines & equipement, hiring & training people, etc. Any business is going to minimize these expenditures.

The difficulty of filling a position, due to education, skill, or training, is what dictates salary. If you're in an entry-level job, you are easily replaced. If you are highly skilled, the business will pay more in salary and benefits. It's that simple.

Return to “Work Employment”