The Wicker Man

lady cop

The Wicker Man

Post by lady cop »

will be released tuesday the 19th on DVD. the most recent version. has anyone seen it?
AussiePam

The Wicker Man

Post by AussiePam »

Only the old version with Edward Woodward - which is still stunning.

Though EW, for me, always will be Callan. The swinging lightbulb !!

Lonely. Ahhhh

Atmosphere.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

dubs

The Wicker Man

Post by dubs »

I don't think I'll bother LC.. I hate re-makes of classic films, they never seem to hold up against the originals..For instance, The Haunting(1963) scared the s*it out of me, cos all the scary was in your own head! The 1999 version, with CZJ, was all bells and whistles FX! You didn't have to think for yourself! Load of old Cobblers......:)

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Galbally

The Wicker Man

Post by Galbally »

I have seen the original British Classic and its directors cut version on DVD, its a very strange but somehow compelling movie. I have heard fairly bad reports about the new one, and I am guessing that this is one of those old classics that they should have left alone, it was such a strange and original piece I am not sure (outside of commerical reasons) why they thought that any remake could be made that would be any good. Perhaps I am wrong, so maybe I will have a look at it.

I do urge everyone to see the original if they havn't already, its certainly different, and I loved it always, I saw it as a youngster and it really gave me goosebumps, especially at the end, there is something kinda disturbing about that film, and not in the traditional horror way, or even in the obvious "evil village" way either, I don't know, its just quite a strange movie really, but a very good one in my opinion. Its worth a look just to see Christopher Lee in a dress and a wig.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
AussiePam

The Wicker Man

Post by AussiePam »

I agree Galbally. The original film is extremely unusual - there's an uneasy undercurrent which is, as you say, compelling.

A lot of remakes go for action and miss the atmosphere which makes the older films.

I didn't care for the newer Thomas Crown Affair.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

lady cop

The Wicker Man

Post by lady cop »

i have a very vague memory of the original version, will try to find it at the video store. but i did watch the new one this evening. there are two sides to the disc, side A is the non-rated version with side B being the PG-13 version. i watched side A. the island residents were a bit campy, and the underlying evil was apparent. the ending was somewhat gut-wrenching, albiet brief. won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone.:lips: ..... i think it was only released in US and Canada.
Galbally

The Wicker Man

Post by Galbally »

lady cop;491587 wrote: i have a very vague memory of the original version, will try to find it at the video store. but i did watch the new one this evening. there are two sides to the disc, side A is the non-rated version with side B being the PG-13 version. i watched side A. the island residents were a bit campy, and the underlying evil was apparent. the ending was somewhat gut-wrenching, albiet brief. won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone.:lips: ..... i think it was only released in US and Canada.

I will check it out, you simply must have a look at the original, I am sure that its available in the states, though maybe only in some stores, its a cult classic over there as well. It stars Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, and Brit Eckland, and it was made around 70 or 71 by Hammer Horror I think. Its a British classic, really is.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

The Wicker Man

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeControl;491948 wrote: I watched the original not too long ago... I think they could've cut some of the musical numbers out of it. I find it hard to suspend my disbelief when a group of people all start singing and dancing out of the blue... no one I know usually does that sort of thing and I think I'd be a little startled if they started.

The new version got crap reviews, but if I get to see Nicholas Cage killed off, I might be up for it. :sneaky:

Like I said, its a strange movie, but thats why I like it, its weird, but kinda brilliant! :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”