Bob Barker Pledges $300K to Help Elephant

Discussions about your pets!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Barker pledges $300K for LA Zoo elephantPosted 12/12/2006 11:51 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Game show host Bob Barker will pledge $300,000 toward housing an elephant from the Los Angeles Zoo in an animal sanctuary, his publicist said Tuesday.

The pledge would match donations in support of sending Ruby, a 45-year-old African elephant, to a sanctuary in San Andreas in Northern California, publicist Henri Bollinger said.

Ruby is currently housed at the zoo, but animal rights advocates have raised concerns about the zoo's treatment of elephants, including a 48-year-old Asian pachyderm named Gita who died in June. Another elephant, Tara, died in 2004.

"Bob has been very concerned about the condition of elephants living in zoos, and particularly at the L.A. Zoo," Bollinger said. "He wants to do whatever he can to change that situation and get elephants placed in sanctuaries."

Zoo officials have maintained that they never mistreated the elephants. Zoo spokesman Jason Jacobs said officials were not aware of any offer from Barker and that Ruby's "ultimate destination is not a financial decision."

Barker, 83, a noted animal rights activist and the retiring host of The Price Is Right, pleaded with the City Council in February to close the zoo's elephant exhibit, claiming the animals were miserable and that some of them were ill.

Earlier this year, the City Council approved a $39 million, 3.5-acre exhibit to house Ruby and a 21-year-old Asian male elephant named Billy.

A zoo investigation found that Gita's keepers did not begin emergency procedures for more than eight hours after the elephant was first observed sitting with her back legs tucked under her, a general sign of distress for the creatures.

"We are very grateful that Mr. Barker, a great champion for animals, has stepped forward to help Ruby," Elliot Katz, president of the group In Defense of Animals, said in a statement. "It's crucial that Ruby be sent to a sanctuary now."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... htm?csp=34
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Bob Barker means well, no question about that. He has, however, never visited the elephant enclosure and has no personal knowledge of Ruby's care, her barn or her condition.

The keeper/veterinary staff at Los Angeles Zoo is capable, caring and professional. Ruby is dearly loved and receives excellent care and exercise.

Undoubtedly, Mr. Barker is unaware that the "sanctuaries" he espouses are not subject to inspection by the agencies that accredit zoos. There is no guarantee whatsoever that elephants in sanctuaries are treated any better than in accredited facilities such as L.A. Zoo.

One thing, however, IS certain--elephants in sanctuaries are unavailable to the public and are not involved in breeding programs.

People reading Mr. Barker's statements should be aware that there's a nationwide organization dedicated to removing all elephants from all zoos. They may be well-meaning, but their emotions often drive them to erroneous statements and sometimes, deliberate lies. Mr. Barker has been solicited by a local group founded by a woman I know to be a deliberate liar! She's very good at seeking media time and very loose with facts.

The L.A. Zoo Commission recently held a hearing on the issue of whether to continue plans for the new elephant exhibit. Speakers included representatives of the "elephant rights" faction, many of whom used misleading and incorrect statements in an effort to discredit the zoo and its leadership. I know this because I was there and because I know personally that the "facts" they quoted were outright lies.

The zoo has made many attempts to communicate with and accommodate these protesters, but their minds are made up, regardless of the facts.

Other speakers at the Commission meeting, speaking on behalf of the zoo, included Betty White Ludden, Jack Hanna, directors of other zoos and well-known veterinarians. Mr. Hanna made the point that this is just the first assault on zoos...that many of these organizations have another agenda, and that is to close all zoos.

The fact is that elephants, when given food, exercise (physical AND mental) are happy and do well in zoos. Although most sanctuaries are strictly off-limits to visitors, if you WERE to visit one, you'd see the elephants hanging around the barn where the food is....just as zoo elephants do.

Misguided "elephant activists" will argue stridently that elephants need MILES OF SPACE and IN THE WILD THEY ROAM MANY MILES PER DAY! Yes--well, ask yourself WHY animals move about in the wild. The answer, of course, is that they seek food, mates and safety. Given these (in zoos,) they're quite content with smaller quarters.

Be very careful whom you believe on this issue. It's one thing to love and care for animals in breeding programs, zoos, etc. It's quite another to allow emotional, untrue appeals to sway judgement if you've no personal experience in the matter. Bob Barker is a well-known advocate for spay/neuter programs and should contain his public appeals to matters he knows well. He is certainly not an expert on elephants or their care.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Something I should have mentioned and forgot until just now....the group which has solicited Mr. Barker's endorsements also includes a fellow who was FIRED from the zoo for incompetence and now claims the zoo mistreats its elephants through whips and chains. When called upon in public to PROVE this accusation, he quickly backed down and recanted.

Coincidence?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Gee...what a SURPRISE! The "elephant activists" are now parading in front of the zoo with signs saying "Free Ruby." As if she were a political prisoner or as if she were in chains!

Any old mote of publicity to get their faces on camera!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lulu, I do know that in most zoo elephant enclosures, the gray guys are standing or walking on concrete or overly hard packed (yes I know their natural turf is dirt but it is natural turf) dirt. In too many elephants such as the late Tina for instance, this causes foot infections and early-onset arthritis. The infections can lead to ill health and even death and the arthritis can lead zookeepers to have to put the elephant down to be out of pain. Thsi just happened (the death by arthritis) to a favorite elephant but danged if I can remember which one. Sorry. This is my main objection to zoos. I enjoy seeing elephants, I think most anyone does and I don't have a major issue with captivity breeding (far better that than to abscond them from their natural habitat, destroying their closebonded families!) but I don't at all approve of any zoo habitat I have seen so far. The one in the Phoenix Zoo was particularly terrible when I was there; the poor gray one was alone and pacing back and forth. All it had for stimulation or entertainment was a shallow pool and a tire. It did not appear happy or content. I think it's obvious that the zoo enclosures are built for utility and not for the elephants' comfort. I don't think that's right.

I am particularly familiar with The Elephant sanctuary in Tennessee which is home to quite a few retired/abandoned circus elephants. Gosh, don't even get me started on circus animals!! Anyway yes, zoo elephants. That's my take. :)

Um...we need a small elephant icon in here. Wouldn't it be cool to have little animal icons?? :D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Glitter, I'm not going to debate the size of zoo habitats with you but I'll say this...having spent quite a bit of time in Africa....wild elephants get arthritis and foot problems, too! They also suffer from parasites, lung disease and poaching. Their habitats are shrinking and animals which come into contact with humans NEVER WIN!

You'll hear the self-appointed "activists" clamor that "elephants in the wild live 75 years!" And then they point to animals like our Gita, who just died at a respectable 50. Saying that elephants "live 75 years" is like saying that "humans live 100 years!" Yes...some do. Most, however, do not. This is a good example of half-truths and misinformation put out there by these people.

Every year, zoos learn more about substrate, veterinary techniques and enrichment ideas for elephants and all captive animals. Because zoos are accredited, they are INSPECTED to ensure that good husbandry practices are in place.

"Sanctuaries" are not accredited. They can do anything--or as little--as they like.

New exhibits cost amazing amounts of money (our new elephant exhibit will cost over 20 million dollars,) so, even though a zoo might be eager to replace concrete with soil, raising the funds will be a problem.

My suggestion is...donate to your zoo. Volunteer to help with elephant enrichment (every zoo does this...much of it is behind the scenes, however, and invisible to the public.) Learn what REALLY goes on.

It's very easy to anthropomorphize and react emotionally while LOOKING at something or listening to someone like Kathleen Doyle and her hysterical mob at the zoo gates. That doesn't mean it's true.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

While I don't doubt you that elephants have those problems in the wild, I could accept those as natural occurrences- except the poaching obviously!! :mad: <--- that's for poachers, not directed at you! Also I hear often how villagers destroy or are out to destroy a "jumbo" that attacked a villager or even just ate the wrong brush, so I agree that humans and elephants in wild are not coexisting well.

Did you once say you worked at a zoo for a while or am I thinking of someone else? :confused:

Anyway, I'm not a rabid activist on this issue but I have been following an elephant group at Care2 for a number of years and it's heartbreaking and maddening how elephants still suffer in inadequate zoo environments. How I wish I had the photos at hand to show you what we're complaining about. I might look tomorrow and see if I can round some up. The one I recall was just from about two months ago in a US zoo. The elephant was all alone on a concrete slab in a rundown, barren depressing enclosure. It was exhibiting behaviors characteristic of boredom and lack of stimulation. Citizens called for the city authorities to close it down and they were refused because "the elephant draws money to the zoo and all kids should be able to see an elephant." The elephant's wellbeing in this instance was clearly not a priority.Please don't misunderstand me- I'm not going to say all zoos are this way since I obviously haven't seen every zoo. But I am saying that the ones I have visited myself have been poor and I have to base some of my judgement on what I have seen.

I forgot to touch on your earlier comment about sanctuaries not being open to the public. That would be because they're for the elephants, not for the people. Again, speaking only for the one in Hohenwald TN, it is regularly checked out by officials and even though it's not a public attraction, I would expect that an individual with the right connection could take a look. They also have a website elephant cam on at all times which is fun to watch.

The land is natural and has the height variations necessary for healthy feet rather than just packed earth or god forbid concrete, and there is plenty of forage and toys available. The elephants there live together and have formed their own bonds with each other. Obviously they are not bred. One in particular, has a bad leg resulting from a disastrous breeding incident before she came to sanctuary. Some of these elephants are not "bad" animals but have been in the circus and have been mistreated resulting in emotional structure that could be potentially dangerous, were they to live in a standard zoo environment, although left to their own, they do well. :)
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Glitter, I've been associated with Los Angeles Zoo for 15 year and, believe me, I know a LOT more about elephant care there than Bob Barker and the self-styled "activists" outside the gates.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Morning, Lulu.

I thought it was you who'd worked in a zoo but I couldn't remember.

I certainly wouldn't denounce your own zoo experience/knowledge but I think most of those activists deserve respect as well. Always a few bad apples but many are quite knowledgeable about the issue. It's thanks to them that many elephants are now living a better life.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

That's a fairly GENERAL statement about activists, Glitter. Believe me, the ones outside our gate have been invited in to see the holding facilities on several occasions AND HAVE REFUSED. THEY KNOW NOTHING except what they're told. These are, for the most part, ardent teenagers and people who believe what they see in photos. They're being led by two known liars!

Notice that I only speak of what I personally have seen and know. Too bad most of the "activists" don't do the same.

Please don't denigrate zoo staff by suggesting that activism is responsible for improving the care of zoo animals.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't know that most of the activists don't, Lulu. I can't speak for who hangs out at your zoo's gates any more than I can speak for "all" zoos being crappy places for animals. We can only go by what we know and see.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lulu2;486141 wrote:

Please don't denigrate zoo staff by suggesting that activism is responsible for improving the care of zoo animals.

Some zoo staff deserve to be denigrated for the "care' they have given their animals. I have seen some despicable negligence. I will denigrate those. But then I could ask the same of you to please not degrade the benefits activists have created for the animals they too care about.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Neither one of us is going to back down from our side, I can tell. We both love animals but have different views.

If you haven't seen this already, you may find this cute:

It is about Tina and her special shoes made by Teva footwear.

Click on the red "slideshow" link.

http://www.elephants.com/tina/tina_diary.htm

Tina died before her shoes were finished so you can see Tarra demonstrating the shoes here:

http://www.elephants.com/tina/tina_shoes.htm

(another slideshow)

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”