My dog was poisoned

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15794
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1236662 wrote: I find it hard to believe our visitor hasn't tried raising the problem with the owner already.

You think dogs left alone all day with the run of the house don't bark relentlessly? That's not my experience.


Usually because they're so desperate to get out because they're housetrained - forcibly!
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Nomad »

abbey;1236609 wrote: What a horrible post!

I'm bloody glad you dont live next to me.


If he did that would make you the bad neighbor.
I AM AWESOME MAN
michaelross
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by michaelross »

Hoping for your dog's speedy recovery..
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236611 wrote: Let's be constructive abbey. What would you suggest as a solution? How do you get a resident to control his dogs when they're left unattended all day at home? Presumably there's no possible way to arrange for them to have company. Although the thread is 3 years old, i don't see many helping the OP poster any advice on what to do if you think your dog has been poisoned as she asked.

Firstly, all responsible dog and cat owners need to keep first aid supplies in the house for emergency's including a large syringe. While your waiting for the vet, get as much salt water or milk down the animals throat as possible to dilute the poison and to force the animal to be sick.

In any dog barking constantly, for one.... it's what dogs do... that's life. I happen to object to lawnmowers going at 8 in the morning on a sunday. Expecting neighbours dogs not to bark is like asking children to be quiet 24/7.

Having said that I do have a Doberman at the back of me who nbarks all day. I have been to see my neighbours and offered suggestions which they have taken up. Many folk who have dogs are not 'Ceasar Milan' and do not know enough about distraction tecniques. Most are totally un-aware of what their dog is doing when they are out. It comes down to basic training. A dog should be praised when he barks and alerts you to a threat yet told No when he barks for nothing.

If anyone has this problem I can suggest a tecnique that I know works.

A dog will bark while you are out if they are used to being left for long periods of time while you are at work. It takes a while but you have to leave the house and keep returning when he is not expecting you. Do this for some weeks even returning home 10 minutes after you have left up to 3 hours after you have left. Each time you return, praise and reward if he is quiet when you return and ignore him if he is barking. He will soon learn as all dogs want nothing more than to please their leader. :-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

Or, of course, get rid of the bloody dog.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236842 wrote: Or, of course, get rid of the bloody dog. Or shoot the miserable gits who whinge at a dog barking.:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1236876 wrote: [QUOTE=spot;1236842]Or, of course, get rid of the bloody dog.Or shoot the miserable gits who whinge at a dog barking.:D[/QUOTE]The one's a criminal act, the other isn't. The wingeing's reasonable, the constant repetitive barking's not.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236884 wrote: The one's a criminal act, the other isn't. The wingeing's reasonable, the constant repetitive barking's not.
OK then... let's go down your route. Get rid of the dog. Then what becomes of the dog? One of 2 things. It gets re-homed and barks in a new home simply moving the barking and nuisence from one neighbourhood to another. Or the dog gets put to sleep.

Anyone taking on a dog should take that dog on for life and deal with problems like this. Your suggestion is the attitude of the throw away society we now live in. If it doesn't conform, then get rid of it.

Many dogs that bark while the owner is out are rescue dogs who are barking out of fear of isolation and abandonment. Far better to give a little of your time and make it a happy secure dog than dump it because it happens to bark.

My 3 dogs bark but most of my neighbours have told me that they would have it no other way because they know that if my 3 kick off.... something is wrong.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Sunshine
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Sunshine »

Hey, they are dogs. They bark. They are simply protecting their territory and is expected of them.

I have to leave my dog home alone when I work. Most people do. I am sure this is not a crime.

It is unforunate that they bark when you are sleeping but not a lot you can do but go to the neighbors and explain your situtation. Maybe they can figure out another way to contain the dogs while they are gone.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Sunshine;1236926 wrote: Hey, they are dogs. They bark. They are simply protecting their territory and is expected of them.

I have to leave my dog home alone when I work. Most people do. I am sure this is not a crime.

It is unforunate that they bark when you are sleeping but not a lot you can do but go to the neighbors and explain your situtation. Maybe they can figure out another way to contain the dogs while they are gone. Quite right.

When Pete was very ill and had major surgery he spent most of his time in bed with the Doberman at the back of us barking all day and he never complained. I used to work nights years ago and sleep during the day. I found screaming kids more of a damn nuisence than dogs. If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs. :-5 Don't blame the dog.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Odie »

oscar;1236939 wrote: Quite right.

When Pete was very ill and had major surgery he spent most of his time in bed with the Doberman at the back of us barking all day and he never complained. I used to work nights years ago and sleep during the day. I found screaming kids more of a damn nuisence than dogs. If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs. :-5 Don't blame the dog.


screaming kids are worse!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

No, I'll stick to my point. A repetitively barking dog is an antisocial nuisance and it's up to the owner to bring the nuisance to a stop. How the owner goes about doing that is up to him but it's not optional, it's a reasonable request. If it were constant loud music it would be no worse. There's a sense of "so what" about the recent posts. "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs" isn't acceptable and neither would a magistrate's court find it so.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Sunshine
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Sunshine »

spot;1236943 wrote: No, I'll stick to my point. A repetitively barking dog is an antisocial nuisance and it's up to the owner to bring the nuisance to a stop. How the owner goes about doing that is up to him but it's not optional, it's a reasonable request. If it were constant loud music it would be no worse. There's a sense of "so what" about the recent posts. "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs" isn't acceptable and neither would a magistrate's court find it so.
OK, so what would you suggest? Kill the dogs, not an option, keep them in cages in the house, if you really hate your dogs, sure you could do this. Keep them in the house I suppose.

Like I said, just present your case to the owners and work something out. Comon logic should resolve the situation.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236943 wrote: No, I'll stick to my point. A repetitively barking dog is an antisocial nuisance and it's up to the owner to bring the nuisance to a stop. How the owner goes about doing that is up to him but it's not optional, it's a reasonable request. If it were constant loud music it would be no worse. There's a sense of "so what" about the recent posts. "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs" isn't acceptable and neither would a magistrate's court find it so. Hogwash, piffle and balderdash.

Life is about accepting that there are other people and species on this planet other than yourself.

If the complainent did not work nights, he would not be complaining would he? It's because he is working nights that he expects the neighbours to tip toe round him.

If I were to take a job working nights now... would I be complaining that the children going to school next door were a nuisence? No, because there are other people on this planet.

To settle any arguement in the UK, the enviromental health will put sound equip in your home and decide if it's reasonable or not.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Odie »

spot;1236943 wrote: No, I'll stick to my point. A repetitively barking dog is an antisocial nuisance and it's up to the owner to bring the nuisance to a stop. How the owner goes about doing that is up to him but it's not optional, it's a reasonable request. If it were constant loud music it would be no worse. There's a sense of "so what" about the recent posts. "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs" isn't acceptable and neither would a magistrate's court find it so.


as said earlier.....I agree!

no excuse for allowing dogs outside all day yapping, just because your at work....put them downstairs with ample food and water like everyone else does.



my brother has a dog, and it stays upstairs all day.



.....its the dogs who are not trained that have to go in the basement...again...owners fault.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

Sunshine;1236948 wrote: OK, so what would you suggest? Kill the dogs, not an option, keep them in cages in the house, if you really hate your dogs, sure you could do this. Keep them in the house I suppose.

Like I said, just present your case to the owners and work something out. Comon logic should resolve the situation.


I haven't once gone near "kill the dog", I don't know why that keeps being thrown at me. The problem is the owner's to fix, not the suffering neighbour's. The real answer is that dogs don't belong in cities unless their owners can control them and owners of repetitively barking dogs obviously can't.

Here's how it's done in England:Central Parking Services based in West Drayton were also prosecuted and found guilty at Uxbridge Magistrates Court on 28 July 2009 for noise nuisance caused by a barking dog. The council started receiving complaints about the dog in September 2007. A written warning was issued in September 2007; the noise continued which lead to a Noise Abatement Notice which was breached seven times. The director Mr Heyward from the company was ordered to pay a fine of £1800 for all the offences, a contribution towards costs of £283-05 and a £15 victim surcharge, totalling £2098-05. Additionally he was ordered to pay full costs of the London Borough of Hillingdon totalling £3599-19 bringing the total to £7587-24 and now runs the risk of imprisonment if the noise continues.

Kathy Sparks, Deputy Director for Environment and Consumer Protection said: "This type of behaviour will not be tolerated and the council will always look to take action against those who cause a noise nuisance and continue to ignore warnings."
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236951 wrote: I haven't once gone near "kill the dog", I don't know why that keeps being thrown at me. The problem is the owner's to fix, not the suffering neighbour's. The real answer is that dogs don't belong in cities unless their owners can control them, owners of repetitively barking dogs obviously can't.

here's how it's done in England:Central Parking Services based in West Drayton were also prosecuted and found guilty at Uxbridge Magistrates Court on 28 July 2009 for noise nuisance caused by a barking dog. The council started receiving complaints about the dog in September 2007. A written warning was issued in September 2007; the noise continued which lead to a Noise Abatement Notice which was breached seven times. The director Mr Heyward from the company was ordered to pay a fine of £1800 for all the offences, a contribution towards costs of £283-05 and a £15 victim surcharge, totalling £2098-05. Additionally he was ordered to pay full costs of the London Borough of Hillingdon totalling £3599-19 bringing the total to £7587-24 and now runs the risk of imprisonment if the noise continues.

Kathy Sparks, Deputy Director for Environment and Consumer Protection said: "This type of behaviour will not be tolerated and the council will always look to take action against those who cause a noise nuisance and continue to ignore warnings."
You said 'Get rid of the bloody dog'. As I said, that gives 2 options. The dog either dies or is re-homed to cause a nuisence else-where.

If sound eqip has gone into a house and it is proven that the dog is barking all day for hours, then the onus is on the owner to use some basic training to stop the dog barking.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1236952 wrote: You said 'Get rid of the bloody dog'. As I said, that gives 2 options. The dog either dies or is re-homed to cause a nuisence else-where.

If sound eqip has gone into a house and it is proven that the dog is barking all day for hours, then the onus is on the owner to use some basic training to stop the dog barking.


We seem to finally be in agreement then. Would you like more cuttings about Noise Abatement Notices to show it's not considered acceptable for it to continue?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236955 wrote: We seem to finally be in agreement then. Would you like more cuttings about Noise Abatement Notices to show it's not considered acceptable for it to continue? No thanks... I'm Intelligent enough to google more should I wish.

It's down to the area I believe. If the whole street works during the day while the dog is barking then there is no complaint. It's not the dogs fault if it happens to live in an area where folk are home all day.

From experience I have had in council, there is plenty of warning in the UK over noise nuisence. Two letters are sent first and then a visit from Inviromenatl health. The owner has to be dumb to ignore the warnings and let it get to that stage. Councils etc will always work hard to resolve the situation first in my experience.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 15582
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

My dog was poisoned

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1236949 wrote: Hogwash, piffle and balderdash.

Life is about accepting that there are other people and species on this planet other than yourself.

If the complainent did not work nights, he would not be complaining would he? It's because he is working nights that he expects the neighbours to tip toe round him.

If I were to take a job working nights now... would I be complaining that the children going to school next door were a nuisence? No, because there are other people on this planet.

To settle any arguement in the UK, the enviromental health will put sound equip in your home and decide if it's reasonable or not.


Balls, sorry if you live next to a school then yes you have to put up with noise and disruption at certain times through the day, been there done that.

Dogs shut out barking all day is not something I would put up with all day. I would approach the owner and tell them what's happening. I have two large dogs living next door to me, they know me now and they go quiet when I tell them to. It's bad enough each time they do start up but they are not doing it all day.

For me, dogs are lovely, but they are not meant to be in homes where everyone is out at work for hours on end, that's the real issue here. The one reason I didn't get a dog from a rescue centre recently is because I didn't think it fair on the animal to be shut in three days a week whilst I'm at uni, then after finishing uni I could quite possibly be working five days a week, no it's not at all fair.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1236960 wrote: From experience I have had in council, there is plenty of warning in the UK over noise nuisence. Two letters are sent first and then a visit from Inviromenatl health. The owner has to be dumb to ignore the warnings and let it get to that stage. Councils etc will always work hard to resolve the situation first in my experience.


For the direct approach:Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, allows a person to make a complaint to a Magistrates Court about a noise nuisance. You will need to produce evidence to convince a Magistrate that it is a serious problem e.g. keep a record of incidents and copies of letters you have written to the dog owner and notes of meetings you have had with them. You should ask to speak to the Clerk to the Justices, explain that you wish to use the section 82 procedure and they will make an appointment for the case to come before the Magistrate. You must give three clear days written notice to the dog owner of your intention to take proceedings. This is legally required. You do not have to use a solicitor, although you and your opponent can do so.

For the council approach:You could contact the Council’s Environmental Health Division to ask for the matter to be assessed to see if the noise is serious enough to constitute a Statutory Nuisance. We can supply you with record sheets to log details of when the noise occurs. If the records indicate that a serious problem is being caused, we will probably need to visit your home to confirm that a Statutory Nuisance exists. If there is sufficient evidence to prove this, we will contact the dog owner and give them a chance to the remedy the situation. If the problem persists, a legal Notice may be served on the dog owner requiring resolution within a given period. If this formal procedure is not successful and a further Statutory Nuisance is witnessed, the matter can lead to Court action. The complainant may be required to give evidence in Court. It should be noted that Statutory Nuisance action can only be taken if the problem is serious and regularly causing you substantial interference.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236968 wrote: For the direct approach:Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, allows a person to make a complaint to a Magistrates Court about a noise nuisance. You will need to produce evidence to convince a Magistrate that it is a serious problem e.g. keep a record of incidents and copies of letters you have written to the dog owner and notes of meetings you have had with them. You should ask to speak to the Clerk to the Justices, explain that you wish to use the section 82 procedure and they will make an appointment for the case to come before the Magistrate. You must give three clear days written notice to the dog owner of your intention to take proceedings. This is legally required. You do not have to use a solicitor, although you and your opponent can do so.

For the council approach:You could contact the Council’s Environmental Health Division to ask for the matter to be assessed to see if the noise is serious enough to constitute a Statutory Nuisance. We can supply you with record sheets to log details of when the noise occurs. If the records indicate that a serious problem is being caused, we will probably need to visit your home to confirm that a Statutory Nuisance exists. If there is sufficient evidence to prove this, we will contact the dog owner and give them a chance to the remedy the situation. If the problem persists, a legal Notice may be served on the dog owner requiring resolution within a given period. If this formal procedure is not successful and a further Statutory Nuisance is witnessed, the matter can lead to Court action. The complainant may be required to give evidence in Court. It should be noted that Statutory Nuisance action can only be taken if the problem is serious and regularly causing you substantial interference.
Isn't that what I just said about the council approach?

In your first instance, the magistrates can not act without solid proof. They should be asking for recorded evidence from sound eqip which takes you back to the Enviromental health Office. Other wise, If It were that simple, Magistrates would be having dogs removed from their homes every day.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1236969 wrote: Isn't that what I just said about the council approach?What you actually said was "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs. Don't blame the dog [...] Life is about accepting that there are other people and species on this planet other than yourself. If the complainent did not work nights, he would not be complaining would he? It's because he is working nights that he expects the neighbours to tip toe round him."

It's attitudes like that which give dog owners such a bad name.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236970 wrote: What you actually said was "If you have to sleep during the day, buy some ear plugs. Don't blame the dog [...] Life is about accepting that there are other people and species on this planet other than yourself. If the complainent did not work nights, he would not be complaining would he? It's because he is working nights that he expects the neighbours to tip toe round him."

It's attitudes like that which give dog owners such a bad name. Then you missed my post about my experience of this in my time in Council. Perhaps you would care to go back a few posts?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15794
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1236952 wrote: You said 'Get rid of the bloody dog'. As I said, that gives 2 options. The dog either dies or is re-homed to cause a nuisence else-where.

If sound eqip has gone into a house and it is proven that the dog is barking all day for hours, then the onus is on the owner to use some basic training to stop the dog barking.


Why should the dog continue to bark elsewhere? If it was properly looked after it would have no need to.

The root cause of the problem is the owners' neglect of the dog.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1236976 wrote: Why should the dog continue to bark elsewhere? If it was properly looked after it would have no need to.

The root cause of the problem is the owners' neglect of the dog.
Yes It is neglect and In an Ideal world the dog would be better off with a new owner however, rescue homes are stuffed to the gills already with un-wanted animals. If there was a solid guaruntee that the dog being removed would end up in a caring home, I would agree to It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1236989 wrote: Yes It is neglect and In an Ideal world the dog would be better off with a new owner however, rescue homes are stuffed to the gills already with un-wanted animals. If there was a solid guaruntee that the dog being removed would end up in a caring home, I would agree to It.


But meanwhile the social disturbance is the better option?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1236994 wrote: But meanwhile the social disturbance is the better option? I find this world today very intolerant to others and other species. Your solution is to get rid of the dog. How about the complainent visiting the owner, finding out a little more and offering some compromise. Good councils once contacted should offer help to the owner and send the local dog warden round. Not to take the dog away but to advise, offer solutions and arbitrate between neighbours. That's what the dog warden is for.... not just to remove them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1237011 wrote: I find this world today very intolerant to others and other species. Your solution is to get rid of the dog. How about the complainent visiting the owner, finding out a little more and offering some compromise. Good councils once contacted should offer help to the owner and send the local dog warden round. Not to take the dog away but to advise, offer solutions and arbitrate between neighbours. That's what the dog warden is for.... not just to remove them.


Then finally perhaps we can get back to barkcollar's "my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning" because it's pretty obvious none of that's happened for him, isn't it. Just as it didn't when Mr Heyward's Central Parking Services based in West Drayton was given all those chances to put things right. Mr Heyward was treated to the full range of "Good councils once contacted should offer help to the owner and send the local dog warden round" and ignored the entire system. "advise, offer solutions and arbitrate between neighbours" doesn't always cut the pudding.

The social disturbance is the better option in that circumstance?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1237017 wrote: Then finally perhaps we can get back to barkcollar's "my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning" because it's pretty obvious none of that's happened for him, isn't it. Just as it didn't when Mr Heyward's Central Parking Services based in West Drayton was given all those chances to put things right. Mr Heyward was treated to the full range of "Good councils once contacted should offer help to the owner and send the local dog warden round" and ignored the entire system. "advise, offer solutions and arbitrate between neighbours" doesn't always cut the pudding.

The social disturbance is the better option in that circumstance? Is It pretty obvious that none of that happened to barkcollar's problem with the Yorkie's? I did not see anything In his post that says he has tried to visit the neighbour, talk to him, give him phone numbers of people that can help solve the problem, called the council, called the dog warden or called enviromental health. These problems can very often be solved if tried. That's what I mean about the world is intolerant. People are too ready to call in the authorities or want to kill the dog without at least trying.

Mr Heyward sounds as if he ignored the chances offered to him. There will always be knobs like him and sadly, it is the dog that suffers for their owners negligence.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by AussiePam »

Perhaps the complainant should take up drums or maybe the oboe and practise assiduously during his daytime, with the windows open.

Where I lived before we had a young man who insisted on regularly working on his motorcycle at 3am. He'd then try out the 'improvements' up and down the street. I did once or twice stoop to the fantasy of stretching a trip wire across the road.. sigh, I'm too evolved unfortunately. I moved instead.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1237030 wrote: Mr Heyward sounds as if he ignored the chances offered to him. There will always be knobs like him and sadly, it is the dog that suffers for their owners negligence.Which is what I've been saying throughout the thread.

What's the chance the wretched man's going to register here saying the report was inaccurate, eh?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

Well there is a pretty simple (short term solution for ******* owners who never put in the effort to train)

You fit the dog with an anti bark collar, every time it barks a spray of water is shot in its face, does the dog no harm at all and it only takes a couple of squirts for the dog to get the message, dogs are not stupid. Owner comes home from work and takes the collar off.

Had the owner been responsible in the first place this situation would not have occured.

I have 3 large dogs and none of them bark unless a delivery man comes to the door (delivery drivers tend to almost break the door down) which scares the dogs and makes them defensive and so bark.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

Isn't it obvious that some owners just like the fact that their dog's such an annoyance to other people?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

Actually Spot i'd say 'some' people like the fact that their dog is annoying to other people but most with barking or annoying dogs just have no idea of basic dog psychology. They treat the dog as a human child, not a dog.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1237089 wrote: Isn't it obvious that some owners just like the fact that their dog's such an annoyance to other people? If the owner loves his animal enough he would never put the dog In a scenario where it was likely to be removed from the home by force.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15794
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1237093 wrote: If the owner loves his animal enough he would never put the dog In a scenario where it was likely to be removed from the home by force.


Therein lies the problem with your reasoning - some owner do not have a dog to love it, they have it for what it can do for them and care not a jot what they can do for it.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1237116 wrote: Therein lies the problem with your reasoning - some owner do not have a dog to love it, they have it for what it can do for them and care not a jot what they can do for it. Then I guess that I assume that all other dog owners are like myself and Peter who never put our dogs at risk from anything.

I have had dogs all my adult life and we also worked very long hours. We would advertise for a dog walker and carer. Interview and check them out rigorousley. We paid a good wage and they came in 3 times a day and walked them 3 times a day as well as feeding them and seeing to their needs. Yes, It cost us money but we simply could not have had the joy of dogs If we didn't do It. Pete is home all the time now but even If we go home to Sussex for the day, we arrange for our friends to come In and be with them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

Sadly Oscar that is not the case :(

If only all owners thought as you do. My dogs wellbeing is also my first thought.

If we are going out for the night i will get a dogsitter in, usually one of my daughters.

I suppose some people would have a hard time understanding that but i work from home and the dogs are used to human company 24/7 so why upset the apple cart.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1237140 wrote: Sadly Oscar that is not the case :(

If only all owners thought as you do. My dogs wellbeing is also my first thought.

If we are going out for the night i will get a dogsitter in, usually one of my daughters.

I suppose some people would have a hard time understanding that but i work from home and the dogs are used to human company 24/7 so why upset the apple cart.
No I understand perfectly. Pete and I don't even have holidays together because of our dogs. It's a sacrifice we have always made because Mulder has always suffered from what our vet calls 'Acute seperation anxiety'. It's very difficult when they are used to human company 24/7 and you can not just cut them off from that to suit. When ours are left, the first thing I do on return is go and ask my elderly neighbour if they have been a nuisence. I know he'll be totally honest with me and I appreciate that. As you say, not all owners care enough I suppose. A happy dog Is a contented dog and that's all I want for them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

What about a caravan or campervan? That's what we are thinking of for next years holidays :D
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1237151 wrote: What about a caravan or campervan? That's what we are thinking of for next years holidays :D
Yes, we do have holidays in cottages etc but only where they can come with us. Any hotel we ever book is strictly dogs allowed also.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1237122 wrote: Then I guess that I assume that all other dog owners are like myself and Peter who never put our dogs at risk from anything.You cannot be serious, surely. "rescue homes are stuffed to the gills already with un-wanted animals" shows you know better.

BBC - BBC Three Programmes - My Weapon Is a Dog

"Rickie Haywood-Williams meets the young men who take dangerous dogs onto the streets and asks whether dogs have become the new weapon of choice. He discovers that some owners deliberately train and abuse their animals to make them vicious attack dogs, and learns that the most iconic and feared dog of all, the pit bull, is back on our streets."
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

If you ever want to come to Scotland please p.m me and i will link you to very reasonable, fully secured panoramic places to stay in the low, mid and expensive range that welcome up to 5 dogs :-6
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

spot;1237163 wrote: You cannot be serious, surely.

BBC - BBC Three Programmes - My Weapon Is a Dog

"My weapon is a dog", BBC3.

"Rickie Haywood-Williams meets the young men who take dangerous dogs onto the streets and asks whether dogs have become the new weapon of choice. He discovers that some owners deliberately train and abuse their animals to make them vicious attack dogs, and learns that the most iconic and feared dog of all, the pit bull, is back on our streets."


Oh stop it. Surely you are not suggesting this is the majority of dog owners?

Are you a cat owner? :sneaky:
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

buttercup;1237166 wrote: Oh stop it. Surely you are not suggesting this is the majority of dog owners?No, that's why I said "some" instead of "most".
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1237163 wrote: You cannot be serious, surely.

BBC - BBC Three Programmes - My Weapon Is a Dog

"My weapon is a dog", BBC3.

"Rickie Haywood-Williams meets the young men who take dangerous dogs onto the streets and asks whether dogs have become the new weapon of choice. He discovers that some owners deliberately train and abuse their animals to make them vicious attack dogs, and learns that the most iconic and feared dog of all, the pit bull, is back on our streets." I am very aware of this problem.

These are not irresponsible dog owners who neglect their dogs by leaving them home alone all day while they go to work. This is a whole different ball game where the breed is chosen due to It's menace potential and are Indeed used by thugs as weapons. I do not enjoy seeing healthy Pitt Bulls siezed and destroyed but as they are on the dangerous dogs act, they have to be. Far better to track down the bastards who are breeding the puppies Illegally and stop them once and for all. The dog does not choose to be born the wrong breed or be used by thugs. This new culture is on a totally different level to the usual dog owner.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

spot;1237167 wrote: No, that's why I said "some" instead of "most".


Hmmm, not like you to post a 'some' topic to get a point across.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37991
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

oscar;1237169 wrote: These are not irresponsible dog owners who neglect their dogs by leaving them home alone all day while they go to work.


Indeed they're not but I was commenting on "I guess that I assume that all other dog owners are like myself and Peter who never put our dogs at risk from anything", if you check the thread.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

My dog was poisoned

Post by Oscar Namechange »

buttercup;1237164 wrote: If you ever want to come to Scotland please p.m me and i will link you to very reasonable, fully secured panoramic places to stay in the low, mid and expensive range that welcome up to 5 dogs :-6 We were coming to Scotland but had some upset in the family at the time that meant we had to pospone our plans. I googled cottages In Scotland at length when I booked but a personal recommendation Is far better. We do hope to get to Scotland very shortly so yes, I will pm you nearer the time about It. Thanks again :-6:-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Pet Advice Support”