Movie Reviews

Sheryl

Movie Reviews

Post by Sheryl »

Watched "The Ringer" yesterday with Johnny Knoxville. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to watch it since it's bout a guy faking mental disability to fix the Special Olympics. I thought it would be a movie where they made fun of the those with mental disabilities. Boy was I wrong, it was a great movie and very funny. so if you get a chance to rent it, be sure and do. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
JayDee

Movie Reviews

Post by JayDee »

Thanks for that- I'll probably go and see it tomorrow.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Movie Reviews

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

WHEN A STRANGER CALLS :)

This movie has been really slated in the press over here in the UK - so

i was quite suprised that i liked it (i did watch the original just before so i could compare):) well , the original only had about 20 mins worth of the baby sitter and sick killer making calls but the remake carry's that part of the story all the way through . Its not really scary but a good watch all the same - i would give it 7/10 :)
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Peg

Movie Reviews

Post by Peg »

My 16 year old daughter went to see the Omen. She came home very disappointed. Her words? "Boring and a waste of money and time."
cherandbuster

Movie Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Peg wrote: My 16 year old daughter went to see the Omen. She came home very disappointed. Her words? "Boring and a waste of money and time."

Peg, I remember the first "Omen" so clearly from my youth-- I loved it! The suspense was palpable.

Like your daughter said, I've seen some pretty bad reviews on the new one. I'm stayin' away!
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Adam Zapple

Movie Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - This movie was a rolicking good time. Like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" before it, it combines comedy and adventure at a breakneck pace to keep the movie-goer enthralled. This is the most fun I have had at the movies in a long time. Unlike most sequels, this one was better than the original. This is great entertainment for the whole family and that itself is a rare treat. Great film!!:yh_clap :yh_clap :yh_worshp
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Movie Reviews

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Anyone seen THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA it was quite funny, but the end was a bit cack .I would give it 5/10
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Marie5656

Movie Reviews

Post by Marie5656 »

Looking forward to hearing from someone who has seen Night Whisperer with Robin Williams. It looks good.
mimiki

Movie Reviews

Post by mimiki »

American Dreamz was better then i thought
Nomad

Movie Reviews

Post by Nomad »

I recently watched Munich. It was a solid film worth the rent.

I give it 3 1/2 popcorn kernels.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
Marie5656

Movie Reviews

Post by Marie5656 »

Helefra..thanks for the review of M. Night's movie. That is just the type of suspense I like.
cherandbuster

Movie Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Floopy, I took my 10-year-old niece to see "Monster House" a couple of weeks ago. Boy was that a LOUD movie!

Hfra, I liked your review of "Lady in the Water". Sounds very similiar to the review in my "Entertainment Weekly" magazine. Paul Giamatti is good in just about anything.

Marie, "The Night Whisperer" got a C in my EW magazine. It still looks interesting to me. It's based on a book by Armistad Maupin, who did "Tales of the City". Robin Williams is almost always work watching.

Except in "RV", which was horrendous.
Live Life with

PASSION

Lulu2

Movie Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

WOW! I saw this film today, in part because I enjoy Robin Williams and in part because I know it was based on a story by Armistead Maupin, and I'm a HUGE fan of his.

It's very interesting, involving and it leaves quite a few questions in your mind...but then, that's the truth of the tale.

Toni Collette does her usual GREAT job and Sandra Oh has a brief but important role.

I'd see this film again.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Sheryl

Movie Reviews

Post by Sheryl »

Ok so we bought Larry the Cable Guy, Health Inspector yesterday. Defiantly a guy movie, I've laughed a few times, but the humor is really crude.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lulu2

Movie Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

"The Illusionist" is a lovely film, beautiful to watch, interesting and challenging to the viewer and finally, FUN!

A poor young man with talents as an illusionist becomes involved with a crown prince who's downright ROTTEN! They're both in love with the same woman...."nothing is what it seems."

Paul Giamatti has one of the loveliest GRINS....and the closing sequences are delightful.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
cherandbuster

Movie Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Lulu2 wrote: "The Illusionist" is a lovely film, beautiful to watch, interesting and challenging to the viewer and finally, FUN!

A poor young man with talents as an illusionist becomes involved with a crown prince who's downright ROTTEN! They're both in love with the same woman...."nothing is what it seems."

Paul Giamatti has one of the loveliest GRINS....and the closing sequences are delightful.

I think Edward Norton is magnificent :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION

Lulu2

Movie Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

Go to see it, Cher...he's very...um....well.....attractive! ;)
Adam Zapple

Movie Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Saw "Flyboys". It was very good. I recommend it.
Yavanna

Movie Reviews

Post by Yavanna »

I went to see the remake of The Wicker Man last week.

Laughed like a drain the whole way through, it was so dire. Couldn't wait for Nicholas Cage to get burned to a crisp. Wanted to kick the director for daring to remake a classic 70s British horror film into a waste of 2 hours of my life.

Don't go and see it - get the original out on DVD. It has a young Christopher Lee dressed up as a pagan in long purple robes, in a long black wig, dancing down the road. If that isn't an incentive, I don't know what is! :D
cherandbuster

Movie Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

helefra wrote: For those of you who enjoy true stories and enjoyed "Wolf Creek", then the next film I'm about to tell you which I saw is a lot more gruesome than "Wolf Creek" and also a true story.

Basically, there is this odd-ball family who pick up hitchhikers and take them to their ranch and are given food and a roof over their head. However, what the hitchhikers don't realise is that when they go there to work, they go to work for life - never to be free. If anyone tries to escape the family go after them and do some gruesome things to them. If you think about calling the police, forget it because the Sheriff is in on it too.

This film had me engrossed throughout and I must admit I felt really sorry for the victims. If you're squeemish then this is not for you.

Hi Hfra:)

What is the name of this film? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Adam Zapple

Movie Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

I went to see "The Guardian" today - the Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher movie about the Coast Guard. It was okay but nothing great. Rather formulaic and predictable. The same seasoned veteran instructor battling the cocky new recruit routine. It had some good action but I would walk not run to see it.
Galbally

Movie Reviews

Post by Galbally »

I went to see "Children of Men" last night. Its one of these future distopia movies where its 2027 and humans have been infertile for 18 years so there are no new baby's and everyone (especially the women) are a bit pissed off. Also the planet's going to hell etc etc. So its about this guy (played by Clive Owen) who lives in London and gets mixed up in strange goings on based around a resistance movement to the new Fascist-like British government and also a strange and miraculous preganancy that occurs. It also has Micheal Caine and Julliane Moore in it.

Well, I have to say that I enjoyed the movie, not so much for the story which is OK, but its been done before, but the way its directed and shot. Its very gritty and the perpestive is always that of the lead character right way through, so its confusing, and the violence is quite shocking because you never have any build up to is, it just happens as he experiences it, its quite interesting and I've never seen a movie shot exactly like it before. The acting is also very good from all concerned. On the downside the story to me is a bit patchy and some of the ideas about the future don't work or are not convincing if you know what I mean. But all in all, not the worst film I've ever seen.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Uncle Kram

Movie Reviews

Post by Uncle Kram »

I've seen a better film on my bosses teeth

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
cherandbuster

Movie Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Adam Zapple wrote: I went to see "The Guardian" today - the Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher movie about the Coast Guard. It was okay but nothing great. Rather formulaic and predictable. The same seasoned veteran instructor battling the cocky new recruit routine. It had some good action but I would walk not run to see it.

AZeeeeee :)

It's kind of what I expected the film to be. Thanks for saving me money :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION

Yavanna

Movie Reviews

Post by Yavanna »

Pinky wrote: That's one of my all time faves...that slug metaphor always cracks me up!:D

I'm glad you said it's crap before I went to see it at the pics. I'll stick with the original.

No, go and see it for the comedy value! It really is hilariously bad ; Nicholas Cage looks like a horse that's just been gelded or something. God, those teeth!

PS Iddn't the original just the greatest? I love everything about it - from the music, the masks, the hares.....yeah, that's a good film.
Yavanna

Movie Reviews

Post by Yavanna »

Has anyone been to see The Queen with Helen Mirren in it yet? It's had good reviews in the UK and she's a great actress. I remember Diana's death and the weeks that followed very clearly - can't wait to see how the Queen's reactions are portrayed.

I've seen The Devil Wears Prada. Load of rubbish.
Yavanna

Movie Reviews

Post by Yavanna »

I've just got back from seeing The Queen, Pinky, and I really enjoyed. It has intelligent film-making and great actors.

I remember Diana's death so clearly (and the mass demonstrations of grief which followed). For me, this was a film about a woman of a different generation trying to play "catch up" with the daytime TV emotionalism of the world we live in now.

It was brilliant. Michael Sheen and Helen McRory and Tony and Cherie Blair were brilliant, as was the shark-like guy who played Alistair Campbell.

Helen Mirren was, of course, fantastic.

It was interesting to see a portrayal of Blair at the beginning of his premiership, full of energy and ideas - and to know the reality about him now! There's a great line at the end when the Queen tells Blair that she had never experienced the people hating her before.....but that he would experience it too, one day, and it would come very suddenly. There were snorts of laughter in the cinema around me.

It was also a very moving film, in parts ; God knows I wasn't particularly interested in Diana during her life (I always thought she was a damaged personality) but her death was so shocking.....

Oh, and as to The Devil Wears Prada .....I left after about 45 minutes, it was so bad. Meryl Streep must have done it just for her pension fund.
Crème brûlée

Movie Reviews

Post by Crème brûlée »

Yavanna wrote: I've just got back from seeing The Queen, Pinky, and I really enjoyed. It has intelligent film-making and great actors.

I remember Diana's death so clearly (and the mass demonstrations of grief which followed). For me, this was a film about a woman of a different generation trying to play "catch up" with the daytime TV emotionalism of the world we live in now.

It was brilliant. Michael Sheen and Helen McRory and Tony and Cherie Blair were brilliant, as was the shark-like guy who played Alistair Campbell.

Helen Mirren was, of course, fantastic.

It was interesting to see a portrayal of Blair at the beginning of his premiership, full of energy and ideas - and to know the reality about him now! There's a great line at the end when the Queen tells Blair that she had never experienced the people hating her before.....but that he would experience it too, one day, and it would come very suddenly. There were snorts of laughter in the cinema around me.

It was also a very moving film, in parts ; God knows I wasn't particularly interested in Diana during her life (I always thought she was a damaged personality) but her death was so shocking.....

Oh, and as to The Devil Wears Prada .....I left after about 45 minutes, it was so bad. Meryl Streep must have done it just for her pension fund.

I'm going to see "The Queen" in a couple of hours, saw the 'trailer' last week and it looked like it might be good. I'm happy you enjoyed it, I've something good to look forward to. Goody:)

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”