high dosage vitamin supplements

Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Does anyone here take these, and why?

After doing a considerable amount of research, I'm taking the following: 2,000 mg fish oil, 400 iu vitamin E, 500 mg vitamin C, a bit of extra calcium with vitamin D and a combined zink/selenium tablet.

I started the fish oil because of dry eye syndrome but there are many other benefits, it would seem. My eyes have improved dramatically.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Have you met Ted yet?
theia

Post by theia »

Ah, yes, Ted...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Ted? His profile mentions eye problems, but he posts on Christianity, doesn't he?
theia

Post by theia »

I was referring to tedhutchinson and I think Chonsi was too....not the other ted who posts on the Christianity thread. Sorry about the confusion, Ruth
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Sorry Ruth.

I take vitamin and herbal suppliments: calcium, multi-vitamin, B-complex, fish oil-gets the vitamins A and D (did you hear that Ted?), gingko, cranberry, green tea and I think's that is enough-no wonder I don't eat breakfast afterwards!:wah:
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

What are the last three on your list good for? I thought green tea was hallucinogenic in high doses - do youget high on it?:)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Green tea doesn't make you high, it is good for weight control, metabolism increase. (Ineed the extra energy, not the weight loss)

Cranberry-for the urinary system.

Gingko-memory and nervous system.

I pop those frequently when Nomad is online..............................:)
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Chonsigirl, I gotta get me some of that gingko, then perhaps I won't need to stick post-its to myself all over the house.

Nomad might benefit from a fish oil supplement, if ADHD is a problem (just teasing, Nomad).
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Sorry I've not been around much to rise to the bait but my ISP broadband provider e7even.crap. liars.incompentant idiots, have disconnected me so I'm waiting for a MAC before I get back properly online.

You certainly don't need to worry about Green Tea being halluciongenic. It certaily isn't or not in the amounts I take anyway. Do think about DRINKING GREEN TEA. You don't have to have everything in tablet form surely. Why not try buying a few bags and rather than drinking brown tea or coffee drink green tea instead. I've recently started adding a slice of lemon to a pot of green leaf tea and thats nice, but after you've been drinking it a bit you'll find it's much nicer than the brown stuff and not only does it taste better it does you good.

Do take note of the EPA and DHA content of your fish oil. The uk trials used 550mg of EPA but there is no really good reason for just using EPA. If you can find a high strength omega mix giving 900mg EPA +600mgDHA =1.5g total omega per 5ml this will be an effective amount. Do be careful that you don't get ripped off with very low epa/dha amounts. A lot of the stuff touted as appropriate for kids in the UK has such low amounts of Omega you'd be better off giving them one sardine every month, for all the good it would do.

Calcium and Vitamin d always has me worried as the stuff sold in the UK generally using ergocalciferol in mixes, Same with the multimineral/vitmin tabs. Totally pointless waste of money. ERGOCALCIFEROL is only a third effective as Cholecalciferol and is more toxic. You'd be better buying Cholecalciferol VIT d3 and eating some cheese or sesame seeds to get your calcium. Sunlight Robbery - Health Research Forum has more details of how much to take but to have any useful effect on your health you need to take 3000iu-5000iu daily if you are not getting sunlight by going outdoors or using a suntan lamp.

I can't see any good reason why you can't go outside when it's sunny and get Vit d3 as nature intended. Go on strip off and sunbathe in the nude for 20 minutes each day and you will get all the vitd3 you need for free. But spending money on ergocalciferol d2 is totally pointless.

Bear in mind if you only pay the minimum monthly payment on your credit card and still carry on spending $4000 daily you will get deeper and deeper in debt.

Same with D3, you use 4000iu approx daily. The RDA in the UK is 400iu. So by taking the RDA only you are getting deeper and deeper into D3 deficientcy.

Seems like a no brainer to me but you know as I do that the medical profession are parasitic disease mongers who profit on the diseases they create, such as obesity, diabetes, cancer cardio problesm by ensuring people are terrified of natural health giving and preserving sunlight.

When I'm back online properly and not having to worry about the cost of dialup I'll list all those cells in your body with VITD3 RECEPTORS. If nature set up cells with D3 receptors it intended D3 to be used. In your brain D3 enables DHA(omega 3 EFA) to be absorbed by astrocytes, They communicate between and support NEURONES. No vit d3 leads to LOW omega, and consequently more mental illness and violence.

Just one example but I'm sure you all know the anti-inflammatory effects of omega and the importance of ensuring all those cells which need it are provided with the D3 in sufficient amounts to benefit from it.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Ruth wrote: Does anyone here take these, and why?

After doing a considerable amount of research, I'm taking the following: 2,000 mg fish oil, 400 iu vitamin E, 500 mg vitamin C, a bit of extra calcium with vitamin D and a combined zink/selenium tablet.

I started the fish oil because of dry eye syndrome but there are many other benefits, it would seem. My eyes have improved dramatically.

Well, yes, actually, I do...

Point of fact is I am a nutritional therapist, I own a vitamin company, I design a line of supplements.

That being said, a cynic can say that I have a vested interest in encouraging you to take supplements, and there is a little truth to that.

To them I would say that if I were after riches I would have entered the pharmaceutical industry, not the world of alternative health.

Your eyes have told you far better than I could that you're onto something.

People who supplement along with getting proper nutritional counseling and guidance on how to custom fit their program to their own individual metabolic needs, live longer, healthier lives than those who don't. Every single time.

If you have questions you can email me here or visit our website http://www.vitamimworks.com
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Someone mentioned green tea and I 've heard a lot about it but just what is it supposed to do? Oh...by the way..I take Vit.C, Magnesium, and a Multi-Vitamin everyday.:)
goldie

Post by goldie »

Hi Ruth. What kind of calcium are you taking? Is the Vitamin E from a natural source?
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Jackal wrote: Someone mentioned green tea and I 've heard a lot about it but just what is it supposed to do? Oh...by the way..I take Vit.C, Magnesium, and a Multi-Vitamin everyday.:)
The World's Healthiest Foods GREEN TEA

I drink this as my main beverage. I know some people take it as a supplement in capsule form but I don't see the point. Tea and Coffee are both acquired tastes in that it takes probably at least 5 attempts at familiarisation before you take to them and similarly if you've been used to drinking brown tea or coffee with milk/cream in then you first may have to get used to drinking then black before moving on to green tea as the transition would be fairly marked. However once you've made the move to using Green Tea as your usual brew I doubt you will want to move back.

Someone here suggested putting a slice of lemon in and that's a good idea.

I usually use leaves and brew up in a pot for a few minutes before pouring up. One advantage I find over traditional tea/coffee is that if I forget to drink it hot I also like it cold, so it's no loss but a valuable find if I come across one I made earlier and forgot about. But you can also get green tea bags flavoured variously. If you're in the UK ALDI's do a nice range sometimes so grab them when they have them. Mango: Jasmine: lemon and lime have all been appreciated.

Tesco's own brand green tea bags are probably the cheapest but Tesco's also do Clipper Green Leaf Tea cheaper than other folks £1.19 ?

I notice that Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol is missing from you list of supplements.

Do try to find out more about the role of Vitamin D3 because it is one of the cheapest supplements to buy and can be obtained free if you take off your clothes and go outside when the sun is shining.

The calculator here will enable you to work out when the sun is strong enough in your area depending on how far from the equator you live, but the research shows that 50 of the population of BOSTON USA are deficient in Vitamin D when they enter hospital so it is likely that anyone living North of Boston USA will be similarly deficient if they are not going outside with as much bare skin exposed as possible. The aim is not to get tanned or burnt- that leads to Melanoma- but simply to get a warm glow or slightly pink, this will create about 20,000iu of vitamin d3 so you can tell from that how badly out of touch with reality are the official RDA levels. You can't rely on a multimineral/vit tab for vit d as the amounts are no where near the 4000iu you use daily and they also often use ergocalciferol which is the less effective more toxic version called D2 not the same thing as D3 and is actually counterproductive as it can block absorbtion of the real stuff.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Would taking D3 help with SADD?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

*watching out for tedhutchinson*
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Samantha wrote: Would taking D3 help with SADD?Yes. If you take an effective amount of the right stuff

From /The vitamin D CouncilIn a 1998 controlled experiment, Australian researchers found that cholecalciferol (400 and 800 IU), significantly enhanced positive affect when given to healthy individuals. Forty-four subjects were given 400 IU cholecalciferol, 800 IU cholecalciferol, or placebo for 5 days during late winter in a random double-blind study. Results on a self-report measure showed that vitamin D3 enhanced positive affect a full standard deviation and there was some evidence of a reduction in negative affect. The authors concluded, "vitamin D3 deficiency provides a compelling and parsimonious explanation for seasonal variations in mood."

In 1999, in an even more interesting study, the vitamin D scientist, Bruce Hollis, teamed up with Michael Gloth and Wasif Alam to find that 100,000 IU of vitamin D given as a one time oral dose improved depression scales better than light therapy in a small group of patients with seasonal affective disorder. All subjects in the vitamin D group improved in all measures and, more importantly, improvement in 25(OH)D levels was significantly associated with the degree of improvement.

I've found a tremendous improvement in my mood since taking Vitamin D3. I can even take all the ribbing on this forum with a pinch of salt and without losing my temper. I've only been taking it regularly 4000iu daily for a few months but I noticed the difference almost straight away. As the sun is now becoming much stronger in the UK it is possible, wind and cloud permitting, to get some benefit from the sun around midday if you expose sufficient skin. If I'm able to get an

hour's sunbathing around midday I'll cut my daily Vit d3 tablets to 2000iu a day.

Maybe come midsummer I'll review the situation and if I've got a bit of a tan by then I'll stop altogether with the tablets until the days start drawing in.

You make about 50,000 iu given a full days sunbathing so to get the amount of vitamin d3 used in the test above you would need to have a few days holday somewhere sunny. BUT DON'T GET SUNBURNT. It is getting sunburnt that causes skin cancer. If you aren't able to get away in the sun then you could take 10,000iu every day for 10 days providing you reduce the amount as the opportunity to enjoy the spring/summer sunshine improves.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Taking high doses of a fat soluble single nutrient is inherently dangerous.

They are stored in the liver and can become toxic.

If you are suffering from a condition, Sad, Bone loss, etc. excessive amounts of Vitamin D, in any of its forms, by itself, will not solve your problem, and it very well may create a host of new ones.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Thanks Ted!! I really do not want to have to tolerate another winter like this past one. What brand of vit D do you recommend. I just came back from the pharmacy and none of the labels there said D3. . . what specifically should I look for?
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

alobar51 wrote: Taking high doses of a fat soluble single nutrient is inherently dangerous.

They are stored in the liver and can become toxic.

If you are suffering from a condition, Sad, Bone loss, etc. excessive amounts of Vitamin D, in any of its forms, by itself, will not solve your problem, and it very well may create a host of new ones.
Up to date scientifically proven information about the use of Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol is available from The Vitamin D council this site is run by a practising doctor and every statement is fully referenced to the latest research.

The form of vitamin 3 cholecalciferol recommended by The Vitamin D council is extremely safe, particularly as I have described by reducing supplementation when exposure to sunshine is available.

I hope you are able to study the following document before replying

THE CLINICAL IMPORTANCE OF VITAMIN D (CHOLECALCIFEROL):A PARADIGM SHIFT WITH IMPLICATIONS FOR ALL HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS and The Truth About Vitamin D Toxicity

Interesting case of accidental overdose where a 2yr old received 2400000 IU over 4 days. not that I am suggesting it's a good idea to repeat this. But if a 2yr old can take about 16yrs adult RDA and spend only a couple of days in hospital it's toxicity is generally somewhat overstated.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Samantha wrote: Thanks Ted!! I really do not want to have to tolerate another winter like this past one. What brand of vit D do you recommend. I just came back from the pharmacy and none of the labels there said D3. . . what specifically should I look for?In the article here There is a link to a source of cholecalciferol (vitamin D) Bio Tech Pharmacal, Inc. (479-443-9148 from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST) a federally licensed and FDA approved manufacturer.

I have no connection either with either that company or The Vitamin D council.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

tedhutchinson wrote: ... Bio Tech Pharmacal, Inc... a federally licensed and FDA approved manufacturer.

This is not true.

The FDA does not license, nor does it approve, vitamin manufacturers.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

How does anyone check into this kind of thing? Here is the link to the home page and it says they are. It is really difficult to know what to believe on the net.

http://www.bio-tech-pharm.com/index.html

Thank you both for the information. I am waiting to hear from them regarding price. I would rather try something like this than a new medication--again.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Samantha wrote: How does anyone check into this kind of thing? Here is the link to the home page and it says they are. It is really difficult to know what to believe on the net.

Thank you both for the information. I am waiting to hear from them regarding price. I would rather try something like this than a new medication--again.I can only report what they say, and what Dr Cannell says which is

BIO-TECH Pharmacal Inc.

Fayetteville, Arkansas

April 4, 2006

BIO-TECH Pharmacal Inc., is a fully insured, state and federally licensed, FDA registered, cGMP pharmaceutical manufacturer, specializing in high quality hypoallergenic products, nutraceuticals, and pharmaceuticals.

I have no reason to doubt either source of information and until I have evidence to the contrary I know who I would rather believe.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Many, many thanks Ted, I'm really anxious to give this a try.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Samantha wrote: How does anyone check into this kind of thing? Here is the link to the home page and it says they are. It is really difficult to know what to believe on the net.

Thank you both for the information. I am waiting to hear from them regarding price. I would rather try something like this than a new medication--again.

A company that says that it is FDA approved to sell vitamins is engaged in some highly questionable marketing. FDA does not approve. They can disapprove, and they can remove a supplement from the market if they deem it unsafe. But that's not approval. FDA registered does not mean FDA approved. State and federal licensing has nothing to do with FDA.

By not disapproving, that doesn't mean their claims are accurate. It doesn't mean they're not.

Vasquez and Manso, two of the authors of the study that gets bandied about in here, own a company called Biotics research, which makes the supplements they've studied. This is a common tactic in my industry. The drug industry does it, too. Do a study, make a pill. They're good guys, but they're not considered heavyweights in my world.

This study makes claims concerning, migranes, hypertension, arthritis, epilepsy, MS, diabetes, depression, heart disease, and polycystic ovaries. They're presenting it like a magic bullet. If you believe that vitamin D can do all that, I've got a bridge here in Brooklyn you can have for a song.

This was published a couple of years ago, and was minor news. It has value in the hands of a practitioner who can understand it within a larger context. Usually when untrained people get religion about some isolated nutrient, they have an MLM to sell. The fact that most of us are deficient in D is not a revelation. Taking supplemental D is treating the symptom, not dealing with the underlying cause.

The problem isn't biotech, the problem is in how the public thinks about the problem they're having.

Holistic health is not allopathic health. These compounds don't work the same way. You're looking for this single nutrient pill to solve your problem, and it won't.

In order for you to solve your problem, you're going to have to find a practitioner who actually works with these things and uses them as his/her first line of therapy. That leaves most of the doctors out. They don't have a feeling for this. They're fine for what they do.

You will not be able to research this on your own. The marketers are too slick. There's a story. a group of doctors who send their patients to us. One of them came to me one day with a sheef of research on this magic elixir that he thought would be great for his wife's asrhma. This was a good doctor, one I truly respect.

I looked at it and just couldn't place the ingredients, but they looked familiar. It was some very convincing looking data. I asked him if I could keep it for a few days to read it more carefully. Long story short, it turned out to be NYC tap water without the chlorine. They were charging $120/oz. These guys had fooled a very smart doctor. The consumer has no chance with these snake oil salesman.

The point is, that you must find a practitioner, get to know him/her, but more importantly, let him/her get to know you.

A good one will administer a battery of questions that will reveal a lot about you, metabolically. They will know which foods are going to help you and which ones will harm you. There is no one size fits all diet. Which exercises will be fun, which ones will be a drudgery. They will act as coaches in implementing these changes, over time. They will know which supplements, in what amounts, will help.

No magic bullets. The magic is in you.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Anyone who has the slightest doubt about the use of Vitamin D3 as a supplement can always use the free option and sunbathe. The calculator here will enable you to work out when the effective sunlight is available where you live.

In the UK the problem now (April) is the air temperature and wind chill factor. However if you can get out of the wind and expose as much skin as possible you will be able to synthesise approx 12000iu cholecalciferol in about 20 minutes providing your skin is white. If it is brown or black you will need 5 to 10 times longer.

That way you will not have to be concerned about anyone's marketing tactics.

The dangers of sun exposure arise in the main from occasional exposures which result in SUNBURN.

People who regularly work/play outdoors have fewer less dangerous melanomas than those who only go out occasionally and have a history of burning more than 10 times.

For those (particularly in the UK) who wish to know more about the importance of sunlight exposure and health, including migraines, hypertension, arthritis, epilepsy, MS, diabetes, depression, heart disease, and poly-cystic ovaries the following pdf file is very interesting SUNLIGHT ROBBERY

Vitamin D3 is one of the very cheapest supplements and is in fact only replacing the Vitamin D3 our skin makes for free so those who are suggesting it may be at the root of the continuing increase in cancers and poor health may be using their common sense and not in any way engaging in highly questionable marketing.

If it were simply one set of researchers findings then the above criticisms may be justified but a quick Googlescholar search limited to those papers published since 2005 reveals

7,650 for vitamin d cancer

5,130 for vitamin d diabetes.

234 for vitamin d migraine

3,740 for vitamin d hypertension

1,850 for vitamin d arthritis

503 for vitamin d epilepsy

7,240 for vitamin d ms

1,760 for vitamin d depression

Although not every piece of research tells the same story (too many researchers display a lack of understanding about what is an "effective" amount of D3) it should be clear to a fair minded person where the trend of the latest research is leading and dispel any idea that it is simply a money making ploy by a few cranks.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”