Do you talk to the ex-wife or husband?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

What a trip...............You know when you have to talk to the ex because of under 18 year old kids..............and it's the second contact with them. The first contact for me and BTS with his ex was his heart attack...........typical snippy remark about BTS. It was ignored. Now I'm making a second attempt for his children. I will always be a step-mom.....no illusions here. I will be respected though or they won't be a part of our life,

As far as my T-Girl and her Dad ............never denegrated him and he paid me the same respect. Result............she loves us both.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

OK I pressed the submit line too many times............I swear I didn't do it ...shame.......HOW THE HECK DO I DELETE A NEW THREAD?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Peg

Post by Peg »

Me and my husband's ex email each other jokes and pics all the time. It wasn't always good. It got better when she stopped calling us when she was drunk.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I talk to the ex, send the kids to see him, but mine are full grown. We never had a problem with it.
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

I don't talk to my ex-husband at all. I had a stepdaughter in that marriage. When she was 13, her father and I split up. She's 18 now, and I haven't talked to her or spoken to her in all of this time.

The problems between her father and I are just that, our problems. She's got a good life with her mom and family, which I was no longer a part of. My ex-husband put a bridge of distance between her and I, anyway. She called her stepfather dad, but my ex wouldn't have her call me mom. She did at times, though, but mostly, I got called by my first name. I hated the disrespect. The ex felt that since he never called his stepmother mom, that she shouldn't call me mom either. It hurt, and it automatically put a distance there. My ex-husband was such a selfish man.

Since my ex is no longer a part of my life, I felt it best to just completely cut ties.
pina

Post by pina »

My ex and I still talk, when I visit my family I always go see him. We stayed on friendly terms mostly because of the kids but more so because we had been friends since school and could always make each other laugh.

To be honest I sometimes get in touch with him for no other reason but to annoy his new wife, she is sooo jealous of me even after 10 years. :sneaky:

minks

Post by minks »

pina wrote: My ex and I still talk, when I visit my family I always go see him. We stayed on friendly terms mostly because of the kids but more so because we had been friends since school and could always make each other laugh.

To be honest I sometimes get in touch with him for no other reason but to annoy his new wife, she is sooo jealous of me even after 10 years. :sneaky:

I keep my ex at arms length, he was a crap father way back and still is, the good thing, my girls are old enough now to make the choices as to when to see him and when not. It works well for them, as well he keeps out of my life, I keep out of his, and our paths cross only when it comes to Jr. Minks, The other is 18 so she is on her own.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Right now as little as possible, maybe in a couple of years things will be better but I somehow doubt it!!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

The D-I-V-O-R-C-E was a real war of attrition. My son kept asking me to get a flat and take me with him from the age of 8. He's 22 now and refuses any contact with his mom. My daughter wanted to live with me. Had to take it to court as ex said I could see her once a fortnight for tea with no stopovers. I don't get home til late so settled for 2 stopovers per week and Saturday plus taking her to school everyday which I'd always done for both of them. Daily contact is good. Ex is finally mellowing as she is expecting another kid. Means I see even more of my daughter than agreed in court. For my daughters sake I've always been civilised but my ex has only just got there. Hope the arrival of the baby reunites my son and ex as years of hatred have mashed his head up. After this post I'm making something to fit into my ex's house. That's progress ...right?

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Yes, on that. I have met Rick's ex on a few occasions..most recently just the other day at ste-grandaughters birthday party. First time was at wedding of Rick's step daughter and her second hubby. We were all at the same table. Funny, a few weeks before wedding, Brenda called and said she was doing seating chart..and she really wanted Rick at family table..with mee too of course. Would I have a problem sitting at same table with his ex? I think Rick had more of a problem than me. Still does, as thier divorce was not happy.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

My X was very abusive and a drunk....our divorce was nasty...NOW the drinking, has quit and he and I are very close...I love him --and he is a great dad...It was a terrrible thing but it has been a blessing for all of us that we let the past go....

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
weeder

Post by weeder »

I do not speak to my former husband. We have been divorced for about 15 years. When I needed to talk to him ( about our children) He wasnt interested. Left me to handle every crisis or problem on my own. He was very busy chasing down the affections of a young woman 27 years his junior. She must have been great as he was willing to flush two sons down the toilet to be with her. Today, as we speak... he is very interested in seeing " The boys" They are now 25 and 21. Alas... its too late. They are not interested in hearing from him. Its quite pathetic and sad.. He is a lonely old 62 year old man STILL chasing that same woman. She no longer seems to be interested either. In his case the saying " What goes around comes around" seems to be true. It takes very many years to see the addage reveal its power though. I am certainly glad that I didnt wait to see the results of gross selfishness unfold.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
(Not so) clueless

Post by (Not so) clueless »

we talk alot because we have two children together. I don't know if we would still be in contact if we didn't. Sometimes I think maybe we rushed into the divorce, then I think we rushed into the marriage. Depends on the mood I guess:rolleyes:
Erinna1112

Post by Erinna1112 »

Yes, the ex and I talk a couple of times a week. We have a middle-schooler together, and it's important that we are on the same page about a lot of things. As someone astutely said uptopic, our problems are not our child's fault, and when we realized we couldn't live together anymore we made a resolution to never take it out on our child.

My parents used me and my sister as a bat between them, and it was tough. I swore I'd never do that to my own children. Only had one, but I have never, and will never, badmouth his father to him, and never stand in the way of him spending time with his father.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

my ex is a very horrible person who has made both my life and my partners life a total misery for years but of course i still want to talk to her just preferably through a medium :sneaky: :sneaky:
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

I don't have any kids but I do have a mixed bag of exes.

They range from the psychotics and dysfunctionals to nice guys who just weren't right for one reason or another.

The only ones I don't keep in contact with are the ones that were violent.

I think that if you think enough of someone to sleep with them, then unless they betray you in one way or another, I'd really like to keep them in my life in some capacity.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Supersilly@rse wrote: I don't have any kids but I do have a mixed bag of exes.

They range from the psychotics and dysfunctionals to nice guys who just weren't right for one reason or another.

The only ones I don't keep in contact with are the ones that were violent.

I think that if you think enough of someone to sleep with them, then unless they betray you in one way or another, I'd really like to keep them in my life in some capacity.

has any one reported them missing :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

[QUOTE=jimbo]has any one reported them missing :wah: QUOTE]

Not officially, however I think that one of the very young ones did appear on the back of a milk carton....... :lips:

*snigger*
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

My ex and I don't keep in touch

Of course, we had no children together so it's been very easy.

We both remarried in the same year.

He now lives in another state and just had his third child. Strangely enough, my brother and my sis's hubby keep in touch with him.

Rumor has it he is now a multimillionaire living in Texas. I wish him all the best.

What I really miss is my mother and father-in-law. I had a wonderful relationship with them. We were very close.

My sister ran into my ex-in-laws at a flea market in Florida. She said they had *nothing* but good things to say about me. Isn't that nice?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

honestly cher i cant imagine any one ever saying anything bad about you ever :)
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

jimbo wrote: honestly cher i cant imagine any one ever saying anything bad about you ever :)

Jimbo :)

Even though I am kind

I have some strong opinions and express them pretty freely

So I'm sure I've offended some in the past

but thank you nonetheless :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Bez

Post by Bez »

Yes we still speak, but less and less.....I'm happy with that.... my kids tell me how he is....they know I still care, after all we knew each other for 43 years and he was the love of my life.....I never looked at or fancied another man in all that time.

It breaks my heart to see the bitterness between couples when they split, particularly when children are used in the emotional warfare that goes on.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

SnoozeControl wrote: Are you kidding? I can't stand her!

;)

It's true.

She left a bag of flaming dog poo on my front steps :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION

Snickz

Post by Snickz »

I never speak to my ex....the seperation was a fairly horrible experience, he was an alcoholic drug addict who didn't seem to think he had a problem.

I tried to cut all contact but he kept coming back and harrassing the crap out of me to take him back.

Then there was this "incident", so I packed up and moved towns ever since then I havn't spoken a word to him and don't care if I never see him again.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Snickz wrote: I never speak to my ex....the seperation was a fairly horrible experience, he was an alcoholic drug addict who didn't seem to think he had a problem.

I tried to cut all contact but he kept coming back and harrassing the crap out of me to take him back.

Then there was this "incident", so I packed up and moved towns ever since then I havn't spoken a word to him and don't care if I never see him again.

like me the only way i'd like to my ex wife is through a medium :sneaky:

if i have to get in contact at all i only do it via text its the only way the cow cant interrupt me:mad:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Unless you have children, or mutual property...why WOULD you?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
guppy

Post by guppy »

Lulu2 wrote: Unless you have children, or mutual property...why WOULD you?

fer real!!...............:thinking:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

guppy wrote: fer real!!...............:thinking:

you American women seem so bitter ........where is the love :wah: :wah:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

SnoozeControl wrote: Your feelings are your own and you certainly don't have to validate them to an online nitwit like me, but I'm not really sure that the stepdaughter using your first name is disrespectful. "Mom" wouldn't be appropriate since she's already got a mother. What other choices are there?

snoozie i totally agree with you my step son went through a stage where he wanted to call me dad i said i did not think that would be a good idea as he already had a dad and it could really hurt his dads feelings

i feel that if this person had tried harder with the child instead of digging her heels in over what is really a totally unimportant issue both her and the child would have had a much better relationship , in my experience stepmothers have a much harder time loving a child that's not theirs than the stepfather

what are your thoughts on that guys eh ...eh .....once again jimbo asks the questions that all others are afraid to ask

that's why he got no friends me thinks :(
guppy

Post by guppy »

jimbo wrote: you American women seem so bitter ........where is the love :wah: :wah:

jimbo-who's bitter, but think about it, it we couldn't get along after twenty three years why go back and beat a dead horse?????:driving:
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

jimbo wrote: in my experience stepmothers have a much harder time loving a child that's not theirs than the stepfather (

Now THAT is an interesting question.

I'd like to hear from the stepmoms and stepdads out there . . .
Live Life with

PASSION

valerie

Post by valerie »

Lulu2 wrote: Unless you have children, or mutual property...why WOULD you?

You would if there was a deeper connection there... and your ex

had shown a "sea change" in character... like mine did. When

someone shows me that they can change, then I try not to hold

them to the past, however terrible.

Last year, my ex asked me to attend his mom's memorial service,

and I did.

He is a good man who lived through a lot in his past, not the least of

which was a tour of duty in Vietnam... he was a helicopter door

gunner. Tell me that doesn't mess with your head big time.

I'm proud to still call him friend.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

You're a good person, Val! If my "former" made such a change, I'd feel as you do. However, he was never wrong, until the day he died. Too bad for him.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
guppy

Post by guppy »

Val, you are lucky. i am glad for you. mine is like lu's was. never wrong. i was nevr more than the trophy wife. you know, the one you leave at home and brag you got but dont have time for..and absolutely no interest in....:thinking:
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

My divorce was fairly amicable; I initiated it but we both kept it civil. As I've stated before, my goal was to walk out with my head held high. I treated him with respect.

But it would definitely be uncomfortable to talk with him now.

When my mom passed away three years ago, my ex sent sympathy cards to my Dad, my sister and my brother.

But nothing to me.

So I'm sure he has resentment towards me. I can't say I blame him. He didn't want the divorce; I did.

What can you do? That's the fallout of the choices we make :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

guppy wrote: jimbo-who's bitter, but think about it, it we couldn't get along after twenty three years why go back and beat a dead horse?????:driving:
guppy thats the wrong name for you how do you spell barracuda

sorry gup i think your great i do tend to get myself into a lot of trouble with my wierd sense of humour :wah: :wah:
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

cherandbuster wrote: My divorce was fairly amicable; I initiated it but we both kept it civil. As I've stated before, my goal was to walk out with my head held high. I treated him with respect.

But it would definitely be uncomfortable to talk with him now.

When my mom passed away three years ago, my ex sent sympathy cards to my Dad, my sister and my brother.

But nothing to me.

So I'm sure he has resentment towards me. I can't say I blame him. He didn't want the divorce; I did.

What can you do? That's the fallout of the choices we make :-6

just goes to show guys that a woman can break your heart ,take your house break up a family

but if you forget to send them a card your never forgiven :wah: :wah:

cher :-4
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

jimbo wrote: just goes to show guys that a woman can break your heart ,take your house break up a family

but if you forget to send them a card your never forgiven

cher :-4

Jimbo

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT :guitarist :D
Live Life with

PASSION

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(From my email today....)

My husband and I divorced over religious differences.

He thought he was God, and I didn't.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Lulu2 wrote: (From my email today....)

My husband and I divorced over religious differences.

He thought he was God, and I didn't.

omg, what a small world . i was married to his brother!!:wah:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(I THOUGHT you seemed familiar! Sis-in-law!) ;)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

cherandbuster wrote: I'd like to hear from the stepmoms and stepdads out there . . .

I'm sure that you all probably already know my view on this.....especially from my "step-parenting" post. I would have to say that I, personally, am having a difficult time with this - unfortunately, I can't say how that compares to a what a stepfather feels. My fiance will, obviously, be a stepdad to my son, but my son is 22 years old - he is not still a teenager (as are two of my stepchildren) and we are no longer responsible for him on a daily basis and for ALL of his needs. My fiance and my son get along great, but their relationship is more of an adult relationship rather than that of child/parent.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

My daughter has been an adult for 4 years and we get along great. She had a very interested Dad. He loved her as I did.........always!!

BTS has a serious religious split with his kids.........all 5 of them. The Mom is a Mormon.............a very centered Mormon. The kids were raised in that faith............all the boys have done their thing. The "thing" - I just know well dressed kids coming to my house and trying to preach their religion.

BTS did not marry their mother in the "sanctity" of the Mormon church because he did not take that faith. They had a civil ceremony. I just found out that BTS was not allowed to attend his childrens weddings in the Mormon Church........or Baptismals..........or anything ..................He would not subscribe to the secret doctrines of .............I don't know how to say this.....He said be sealed in the Church.

I have a very difficult time with any religion that excludes FAMILY in any way shape or form. I thought the Methodists were bad..........I thought the Catholics were bad......

ANY RELIGION that excludes FAMILY at any time is BAD......... Family is our heart and soul.......our kindred spirit...........Our family is what keeps up strong.

Family can be genetic, adopted, oh just come and be a part of us people.........it is ALWAYS the love that counts.

Yep I said more than I should have and not enough..........this world needs to love the children.

The kids are being largely ignored by 2 income families................parents need to spend more time with their children,,,,,,,,,

OOOOPS ..did this turn into a Blog?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jimbo wrote: snoozie i totally agree with you my step son went through a stage where he wanted to call me dad i said i did not think that would be a good idea as he already had a dad and it could really hurt his dads feelings

i feel that if this person had tried harder with the child instead of digging her heels in over what is really a totally unimportant issue both her and the child would have had a much better relationship , in my experience stepmothers have a much harder time loving a child that's not theirs than the stepfather

what are your thoughts on that guys eh ...eh .....once again jimbo asks the questions that all others are afraid to ask

that's why he got no friends me thinks :(

I've been blessed with three that I don't deserve. They've given me a lot of love and support through the years and I love them dearly for it.

On the other hand, their step mothers have had far less tolerance because they're out for their own children first and formost and try to turn the kids father against them.

From the other side of the original question, we've always kept in contact with my wife's ex - to the extent of having him stay for Chrismas after he'd split with his second wife and taking him and his third wife out cruising on the boat and out for meals to celebrate family occasions.

He is the father of three of my children and he is welcome in our house for their sake.

Return to “Home Management”