Im Quitting!

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Betty Boop

Im Quitting!

Post by Betty Boop »

I admire you BR, it's something I also need to get round to.

Good Luck
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

Betty Boop wrote: I admire you BR, it's something I also need to get round to.

Good Luck
Thanks, Betty, but don't admire me too much, I'm just getting started and already I am wishing for a smoke. This is going to be damn hard. Just passed hour #2. If I snap and get crabby, just ignore me. This sucks.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

BabyRider wrote:

I am about to enter my 2nd hour as an ex-smoker. I've got the 21mg Nicoderm CQ patch on my arm, (thanks Bullet!!) and I'm sitting here with my morning coffee, without a cigarette. It sucks. The craving isn't too bad, but it is there. I can see myself getting real crabby before I am done. According to the "plan" they've enclosed, I should be done on Christmas Eve. My mom is going to be thrilled.

Bullet got up in the middle of the night, washed and hid all the ashtrays, and also hid the few cigarettes I had left. He's bound and determined to help me kick this nasty f**king habit, and I'm glad for it. I'm gonna need all the help I can get!!

How's everyone else doing??

Whatever you do BR, do not think about cigarettes. If the thought enters your head, let it go just as soon as it arrives. The moment you start dwelling on fags, you will have a fight on your hands. It is the thought more than the craving that will drive you back to smoking. I have lost to the thought several times. The craving only lasts a few seconds.

Best of luck, I'm behind you all the way on this one.
nvalleyvee

Im Quitting!

Post by nvalleyvee »

OpenMind wrote: Whatever you do BR, do not think about cigarettes. If the thought enters your head, let it go just as soon as it arrives. The moment you start dwelling on fags, you will have a fight on your hands. It is the thought more than the craving that will drive you back to smoking. I have lost to the thought several times. The craving only lasts a few seconds.

Best of luck, I'm behind you all the way on this one.

I started quitting 5 weeks ago and the craving lasts more than a few seconds. I am down to 1.5 packs a week. The cigs taste less and less good to me. I have been stretching my cig intake to 1/2 hour longer each day and now I smoke every 5-7 hours. Keeping busy helps - work off that craving :sneaky:
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

nvalleyvee wrote: I started quitting 5 weeks ago and the craving lasts more than a few seconds. I am down to 1.5 packs a week. The cigs taste less and less good to me. I have been stretching my cig intake to 1/2 hour longer each day and now I smoke every 5-7 hours. Keeping busy helps - work off that craving :sneaky:

The cravings seem to last a long time, NV, but they don't. I realised this along time ago and had it confirmed at the NHS Stop Smoking Group.

The problem is that the craving can make you think about having a fag and it's the thoughts that will make you light one up.
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

39 hours, and 38 minutes. Still going strong, though crabby. :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

grizabela

Im Quitting!

Post by grizabela »

At least you're not counting the seconds, too..... LOL You can do it, BR.
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

grizabela wrote: At least you're not counting the seconds, too...
Yeah, 'cuz THAT would be pure torture....:-5

:yh_rotfl

I'm too competitive to let it beat me now! :-6
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

Keep it going, BR. You're doing well.:-6
DesignerGal

Im Quitting!

Post by DesignerGal »

ok BR: I slipped and had a cig on Saturday night. I was at a wedding for goodness sake! Then I gave blood yesterday and had another one (I also forgot my patch)! IM a loser! BUT! I havent had one today. So its been like 24 hours. I'll be your support if you be mine! You are doing well. I am going to compete against myself too. Luckily my husband doesnt smoke and thinks its gross so the problem lies at work. I did go out with a coworker to have a smoke this morning but didnt have one. I just stood with her. So thats good right? Oh wait, you might be crabby so dont yell at me!!!!!

HBIC
Wolverine

Im Quitting!

Post by Wolverine »

ya know what helps take the edge off the cravings?

a..... great.........BIG...........peach...........slurpy!

does the:wah: trick every time.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

DesignerGal wrote: ok BR: I slipped and had a cig on Saturday night. I was at a wedding for goodness sake! Then I gave blood yesterday and had another one (I also forgot my patch)! IM a loser! BUT! I havent had one today. So its been like 24 hours. I'll be your support if you be mine! You are doing well. I am going to compete against myself too. Luckily my husband doesnt smoke and thinks its gross so the problem lies at work. I did go out with a coworker to have a smoke this morning but didnt have one. I just stood with her. So thats good right? Oh wait, you might be crabby so dont yell at me!!!!!
Actually, I think it's good to go out to the "smoking area." You can appreciate the clean air, and for me, it's a test of my will.

I don't think you're a loser at all, I think this is a damn hard thing to give up. I keep reaching for my pack, even though I haven't lit one since Sunday night. (It's 4:00 pm Tuesday now.)

Two good things for me about this thread: Like I said, 1) I'm really competitive and I'll HATE to have to come in here and admit that I crumbled. And 2) I'm also totally freakin' honest, (it's an inherent flaw in my genetic makeup) and if I DO happen to crumble, I'll feel like a liar unless I come in and confess. Sometimes it sucks being me. :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bez

Im Quitting!

Post by Bez »

You guys are doing SO WELL !

5 months not smoking and now I'm back to nearly 20 a day.....I don't know what 's happened....I don't think anything set me of again. I am pretty disgusted with myself....you're giving me inspirarion again...keep it up !

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

I have decided not to be as concerned with a bit of weight gain at first. I can go back and exercise after I've beaten the cigarettes. This way, I can spoil myself with dark chocolate instead of smoking. One thing at a time.

I'm also playing a lot of solitaire when my guy's not home. Not on the computer, though, but with real cards. It keeps my hands busy. I also got myself a bunch of books, to distract my brain. I'm cleaning like a maniac, showering a lot, (enjoying the smell of my shampoo, instead of smoke) and I got myself some really great-smelling body lotion with my birthday money. Lots of candles lit around the house to make it smell nice, too. One thing I don't miss? Emptying ash trays!!!

DG, the first couple hours with my patch on is making me goofy. I get nauseous, light-headed, I feel stoned. Is it the same for you? It goes away in a couple hours, but it's pretty intense at first. I'm also having extremely detailed dreams that I remember clearly. You?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Chew and knit !:D
I don't knit, Arnold, but the principle is sound. I've been fiddling with my bow, and catching up on correspondence to friends.

Another thing I forgot: Orbit gum was designed for smokers. It has the flip-up box, with the pieces of gum standing longways on their ends. It has the "feel" of pulling out a cigarette but you're taking out a piece of gum. I've chewed more Orbit gum in the past 2 days than I've chewed any gum in 5 years!!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

Don't forget to put aside the money you spent on cigarettes. Try and think of something to treat yourself with the money. Saving the money will provide a physical benefit as you watch it grow (surprisingly quickly). And as for enjoying the treat...:-6
DesignerGal

Im Quitting!

Post by DesignerGal »

BabyRider wrote: I have decided not to be as concerned with a bit of weight gain at first. I can go back and exercise after I've beaten the cigarettes. This way, I can spoil myself with dark chocolate instead of smoking. One thing at a time.

I'm also playing a lot of solitaire when my guy's not home. Not on the computer, though, but with real cards. It keeps my hands busy. I also got myself a bunch of books, to distract my brain. I'm cleaning like a maniac, showering a lot, (enjoying the smell of my shampoo, instead of smoke) and I got myself some really great-smelling body lotion with my birthday money. Lots of candles lit around the house to make it smell nice, too. One thing I don't miss? Emptying ash trays!!!

DG, the first couple hours with my patch on is making me goofy. I get nauseous, light-headed, I feel stoned. Is it the same for you? It goes away in a couple hours, but it's pretty intense at first. I'm also having extremely detailed dreams that I remember clearly. You?

I got the Step 2 patch because according to the guidelines on the box I am considered a light smoker: less than 10 a day. So I havent had any side effects, EXCEPT the dreams. The first night they were really weird and that was even printed on my box about the dreams being vivid.

I just cannot get over these enormous cravings for Frosties from Wendy's!!! Im already overweight, so I am going to exercise at the same time, my friend said it helped her quit. I was a size 2 seven years ago. Im almost into a size 16! And I am a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding in March. I have 2 sisters and they are both 2's so I gotta get to work. I will be satisfied with a size 10 and happy with an eight, but elated if I can get back into a 6!!!

HBIC
DesignerGal

Im Quitting!

Post by DesignerGal »

ArnoldLayne wrote: In all seriousness , I gave up ten years ago. I gave myself a head start by giving up during a bout of flu. It gave me a couple of weeks head start to get it out of the system.

What about wrapping yourselves in high explosives. Wouldnt want to light up then eh ? :D

I think my husband might have our marriage annulled on grounds of mental instability.

Also, I want to say this, I'm finding it a little easier than I expected. I think my body is just ready. I have smoked approximatley 36,500. If my math is right thats 10 cigs a day for ten years. Thats about 1,825 packs, considering inflation, Id estimate the money Ive spent on cigarettes is $ 5657.50. I could have had a nice vacation, a car, some jewelry or a real expensive purse like the celbrities carry! Maybe that is what I will spend my money on!

HBIC
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

OpenMind wrote: Don't forget to put aside the money you spent on cigarettes. Try and think of something to treat yourself with the money. Saving the money will provide a physical benefit as you watch it grow (surprisingly quickly). And as for enjoying the treat...:-6
That's another great point, OM. I added up what I spend in a year on smoking. I could have bought myself a really nice used car from one years smokes. Added up for the whole time I've been smoking, I figure I've spent $60,000 on cigarettes. That's a low estimate.

Look at that again: $60,000. I've been smoking for 19 years. It's sick. You know what I could do with $60,000 right now? Wow.

Funny, as I was writing this, guess what I did? I reached for my cigarette pack. It's not there, of course, but it's SUCH a habit!! Something I don't even think about.

I plan to come to this thread every day and look at that dollar amount again.

DG, have you thought of going to the higher step anyway? I smoked a pack and a half a day, sometimes more, and it's still tough on me with the cravings.

Arnold, I would actually consider the explosives trick. I'm that mule-headed and competitive. :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

I have smoked over 500,000 cigarettes. At today's prices, that's over £127,000. What a complete waste. I kick myself for ever starting in the first place.:-5
OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

Reading your posts, I have quietly been feeling more and more guilty.

In January this year, I attended the NHS Stop Smoking group. I stopped for seven weeks. Not only that, but it was a breeze. Then, in March, I suffered a triple whammy. My life was turned upside down and I started smoking again. Since then, I have stopped, and maybe managed two weeks before starting again.

Watching this thread, though, has given me the inspiration to get back at it again, seriously. I have everything ready, the plan is set, the battle weapons are ready. If I don't do it, it will do me, as simple as that.

This Friday, one hour before going to bed, I will smoke my last cigarette. Thanks for this thread DG and everyone who has contributed.

Bez

Im Quitting!

Post by Bez »

OpenMind wrote: Reading your posts, I have quietly been feeling more and more guilty.

In January this year, I attended the NHS Stop Smoking group. I stopped for seven weeks. Not only that, but it was a breeze. Then, in March, I suffered a triple whammy. My life was turned upside down and I started smoking again. Since then, I have stopped, and maybe managed two weeks before starting again.

Watching this thread, though, has given me the inspiration to get back at it again, seriously. I have everything ready, the plan is set, the battle weapons are ready. If I don't do it, it will do me, as simple as that.

This Friday, one hour before going to bed, I will smoke my last cigarette. Thanks for this thread DG and everyone who has contributed.

I stopped for 20 weeks on the NHS scheme from April this year....can't tell you why i started again but I feel pretty guilty wasting the NHS time and money. I managed to go all today without a ciggie today, but have smoked 10 since I got home.....I've run out now, so maybe if I can get home tomorrow without buying any I'll be OK....it is soooo hard.:-5
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

It's like the old demon gets stronger cos it knows it nearly got killed off. That reminds me, the patches are only to deal with the physical craving, they don't replace the willpower.

Starting again seems to make you think you're useless. But I can't afford to let myself think like that. (I'm almost scaring myself into it now!)

Nah, Bez, we can do it.:-6
nvalleyvee

Im Quitting!

Post by nvalleyvee »

3 days without a sniggy. Life is ...........I love my sniggy's. I loved my alcohol too a few years ago. I really loved my meth 30 years ago. So - when I think about it, I really loved the meth - gone. I loved the alcohol - gone. BUT, BUT - ok bye bye sniggys.:-1 :-1
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
DesignerGal

Im Quitting!

Post by DesignerGal »

OK, Baby Rider, where are you? I had the craziest dream from this nicotine patch. I dreamt I had a baby, only it was a demon and when it came out, it shot me two birds, not flying birds but it held up its middle fingers and had black eyes. I awoke so fast, I made my husband hold my hand!!! It was freaky!! ANd we are trying to ger pregnant, SO DOUBLE FREAKY!!

Have you had a breakdown yet? I did again on Monday night becuase I had a glass of wine. As long as I stay away from the booze too Im good. None yesterday.

HBIC
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

DesignerGal wrote: OK, Baby Rider, where are you? I had the craziest dream from this nicotine patch. I dreamt I had a baby, only it was a demon and when it came out, it shot me two birds, not flying birds but it held up its middle fingers and had black eyes. I awoke so fast, I made my husband hold my hand!!! It was freaky!! ANd we are trying to ger pregnant, SO DOUBLE FREAKY!!

Have you had a breakdown yet? I did again on Monday night becuase I had a glass of wine. As long as I stay away from the booze too Im good. None yesterday.
I don't know why I avoided the thread all day, gang, but it's been a tough one. This isn't getting easier, it's getting harder.

DG, I have been having some of the craziest dreams, too!! Very vivid, detailed, and WEIRD!!! And I remember them so well!! The one last night was really strange. Bullet had me put in jail for taking some stuff when I moved out, then bailed me out so I wouldn't sit in jail for the whole time before my sentence. I got mad at him and went for a walk in my really high-heeled boots, and while I was out walking, I bought him a bunch of Gatorade. (He keeps lots in the house to take in his lunches). So I'm walking the streets, p!ssed off at him, in heels carrying 6 or 7 big bottles of Gatorade. I stop to call him when a biker pulls up next to the pay phone I'm at and attracts a crowd. He's on his cell, and the crowd that's gathering starts talking about the Blue Angles and all the people from our club. When I leave, I take a shopping cart to dump my bottles into, and wait behind cars at the driveway to pull out as though I'm in a car myself.

Crazy sh!t, man.

I'm sensing a relapse happening here really soon.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

DesignerGal

Im Quitting!

Post by DesignerGal »

Ive had that puching a shopping cart/its a car type dream before! But I chuckled at this whole scenario!

I relapes every other day but I dont beat myself up about it because when I do relapse I only have two, one, or just a half of one.

COld Turkey sucks. So I am doing the best I can and I am proud of that even if my family nags me to no end!

HBIC
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

I figured something out today. I am not liking how a whole step 1 patch is making me feel. It makes me nauseous, and dizzy. So, I cut the thing in half. My cravings were worse, but my stubborness prevented me from smoking. So then I got real brave and took off the half when I showered last night, and didn't put the other half on. I just put it on about 20 minutes ago, and I feel like I just had a smoke. Just enough of a "buzz" to satisfy the craving, but it didn't make me sick. I actually kinda hope I still have the vivid dreams, though, they're kinda cool.

Really odd: usually my dreams are violent and creepy, but since this patch thing, I haven't had one violent dream.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

nvalleyvee

Im Quitting!

Post by nvalleyvee »

BabyRider wrote: I figured something out today. I am not liking how a whole step 1 patch is making me feel. It makes me nauseous, and dizzy. So, I cut the thing in half. My cravings were worse, but my stubborness prevented me from smoking. So then I got real brave and took off the half when I showered last night, and didn't put the other half on. I just put it on about 20 minutes ago, and I feel like I just had a smoke. Just enough of a "buzz" to satisfy the craving, but it didn't make me sick. I actually kinda hope I still have the vivid dreams, though, they're kinda cool.

Really odd: usually my dreams are violent and creepy, but since this patch thing, I haven't had one violent dream.

Most sniggy's have 4 mg of nicotine in them. That dang patch starts out so strong to give you an accumilative affect of smoking 20 sniggy's a day. Of course you feel WHACKED with something stronger. I am down to 2 sniggy's a day and 2 Commit lozenges a day. I am quite sure the Commit lasts longer than the sniggy and gives me so much more satisfaction than the sniggy or the patch. BR - may I suggest you get off the patch and do the lozenges - they really take away the crabby and last for hours. As I told ACC - I am about to put down the the sniggy. I think I can put them down on Sunday. BR try the Commit!!! They really are a lot better than the patch. IMO
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

I've seen that commit lozenge thing. How do they taste? They are over the counter, too, right? They're probably a damn sight cheaper than the patch, too. Nicoderm starts out at $30 a week, and the plan is a total of 12 weeks. (Cheaper than smoking, I know, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I want the satisfaction of a cigarette!!) I will definitely look into the lozenge, NV, thanks.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

I had to stop the 24hr patches because I started having dreams too. Nasty phobia ones. Every night, I'd walk up to a drawbridge and the bridge had been raised , but for some reason I just had to get across. The only way was by climbing up these rungs on the side of the first parapet. But you had to climb up onto a concrete base to reach the bottom rung. then I'd start climbing, rung by rung. By the time I was half way up, my vertigo would spring and I had to wake up while I was wondering how I was going to actually cross the bridge. Crazy. Why?! I took teh patches off before I went to bed. What a relief!

Anyhow, I have just taken delivery of Allen Carr's book (as described in a different thread (can't remember the title of the thread)) and have got through the first 6 chapters and he promises that by his method, there will be no withdrawal symptoms, no hardships, no cravings. In fact, he doesn't even say give up, he just says don't have that next cigarette. Well there is more to it than that but I haven't got that far yet. I remember when I gave up in January that it was so easy, a real breeze because I was mentally right for it. So, I'm going to work to the book becausee I think I know where he's coming from. It has come to me highly recommended from various sources.

Believe in yourselves. I will post results and stuff on this thread as they come.
BabyRider

Im Quitting!

Post by BabyRider »

I'd be real interested in your results, Open. I may be stubborn, but this is still damn hard, and if I catch myself wavering, I'd like to have back-up plans. I will be looking at the Commit lozenge that NV has reccommended, have you tried that route yourself?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

I did think about the nasal spray. It's a quick shot for those moments when the urge is strongest. Apparently, the nose is the quickest way to get nicotine to the brain.

Strangely, however, the author of this book dispels all these things as handbags for people who aren't really ready to quit. I'm on chapter six. The quit chapter is chapter 38. People who have recommended the book to me have said that they have quit before that chapter and haven't finished the book. The author is adamant that his instructions must be adhered to to the letter otherwise it simply won't work. That's in chapter 39.

Give me a moment. I'm going to post a list of principles from the book. See what you think. Some are radical, some you'll agree with. Having read his explanations, I understand and agree with them. Be back in a min.
nvalleyvee

Im Quitting!

Post by nvalleyvee »

BabyRider wrote: I've seen that commit lozenge thing. How do they taste? They are over the counter, too, right? They're probably a damn sight cheaper than the patch, too. Nicoderm starts out at $30 a week, and the plan is a total of 12 weeks. (Cheaper than smoking, I know, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I want the satisfaction of a cigarette!!) I will definitely look into the lozenge, NV, thanks.

They are as expensive as the patch....:( but they give immediate satisfaction and it really does last for 4-5 hours - you just have to say "NO" to sniggy's. I was quite surprised. That is why I only do 2 sniggy's a day now........I have to tell you truthfully - it took 5 weeks of a cut down with sniggys and then realizing that I WAS NOT getting high any more from the the sniggy's because I was doing the Commit. GOD - I am such an addict. The lozenges do help when you are in a cut down time. I really think I will lay down the sniggy's in the next 2 days. IT IS <Y GOAL.
OpenMind

Im Quitting!

Post by OpenMind »

Here they are, 15 principles in all.

1. That smokers don't choose to smoke.

2. That smokers do not enjoy smoking.

3.That smoking neither relieves stress or boredom, nor assists relaxation or concentration.

4. That smoking is not a habit.

5. That the only reason any smoker continues to smoke is fear.

6. That it requires no willpower whatsoever to stop.

7. That the actual physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine are almost imperceptible.

8. That smoking far from helping to reduce weight, actually causes weight problems.

9. That the following make it more difficult for all smokers to quit:

A. The media, the medical profession, the government, ASH and QUIT.

B. Health scares and anti-social campaigns.

C. Smoking bans in public places or anywhere else.

D. The banning of smoking advertising.

E. Substitutes particularly those containing nicotine.

F. National No Smoking Days.

10. That smoking is the main cause of alcoholism, heroin and other drug addiction.

11. That younger, casual smokers are more addicted than long term heavier smokers.

12. That the dicta of: once a smoker always a smoker, or: the craving never goes; are complete nonsense.

13. That it is ridiculously easy for any smoker to quit.

14. That all smokers want to stop.

15. That all smokers want to continue smoking.

As I said in the previous post, I understand the reasoning behind these statements. You don't, therefore, you're not likely to agree with them now. His reasoning, however, makes perfectly logical sense once you understand it.

Prior to starting this book, I knew that the cravings are nothing but quick short urges that literally last a second and no more, and that the desire for a fag comes from the mind.

In January, like I said, it was a breeze just like he said. But for a personal disaster, as it were, I would not be smoking now. That disaster showed that I had not quite conquered it.
LWR VENTURES

Im Quitting!

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Good luck to all of you quitting.

Return to “Members' News”