Jihadists Attack Texas Event

Discuss the latest political news.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1478817 wrote: I'm sure Osama bin Laden was on very good terms with the US agencies he'd have come into contact with at various stages in his career, yes. But you'll agree, I hope, that he did say, when interviewed after 9/11 in Afghanistan, that his intention was to destroy the USA. I could find Robert Fisk's article and quote the appropriate passage if it helps.

I have no argument with his stated intention around the time of 9/11.

I just got from your post that you felt he always felt that way.

Perhaps I was mistaken.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1478824 wrote: I have no argument with his stated intention around the time of 9/11.

I just got from your post that you felt he always felt that way.

Perhaps I was mistaken.
I'm quite sure he'd always have been delighted to see America destroyed, but it would have been impolitic to says so while he was being so munificently funded and armed by that drooling B-list actor in the White House.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Smaug;1478776 wrote: Is it incompetence from BHO, or is it American policy to unseat president Assad? It could be argued either way. The consequence of unseating Assad will be a "power Vacuum" enabling ISIS to flourish in this region. As I've said before, dictators are bad, but the alternatives can be worse! (Iraq,Libya)

For all practical purposes BHO is calling the shots which translates, to American policy.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

America has always been known as "The Great Satan" to Islamics.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1478895 wrote: America has always been known as "The Great Satan" to Islamics.

Horsefeathers.

Firstly, America has not been around as long as Islam. Until the mid 20th Century, America was little more than an afterthought to most of Islam.

It was around the time of the ousting of the Shah that America began to earn that moniker.

Most Muslims probably hated the British for a lot longer than they hated America.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1478836 wrote: I'm quite sure he'd always have been delighted to see America destroyed, but it would have been impolitic to says so while he was being so munificently funded and armed by that drooling B-list actor in the White House.

Got something to back that up???
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Maybe...:sneaky:

Only joking, BTW. Ours are just as bad!!:-5
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1478950 wrote: Got something to back that up???

Britain's Foreign Secretary? This is what he wrote, ten years ago:Osama bin Laden is no more a true representative of Islam than General Mladic, who commanded the Serbian forces, could be held up as an example of Christianity. After all, it is written in the Qur'an that we were made into different peoples not that we might despise each other, but that we might understand each other.

Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians. Inexplicably, and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's organisation would turn its attention to the west.

Robin Cook: The struggle against terrorism cannot be won by military means | UK news | The Guardian

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1478968 wrote: Britain's Foreign Secretary? This is what he wrote,

Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA

Robin Cook: The struggle against terrorism cannot be won by military means | UK news | The Guardian

In all due respect there is no reason to believe that claim. Just because it is often repeated doesn't make it so.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1478986 wrote: In all due respect there is no reason to believe that claim. Just because it is often repeated doesn't make it so.

I'll say again, it was a direct quote from Britain's Foreign Secretary. I quite reasonably take his statement to be authoritatively truthful. Few people in the world could have been more accurately informed on such an issue.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's hardly a Conspiracy Theory when it's stated openly.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1478986 wrote: In all due respect there is no reason to believe that claim. Just because it is often repeated doesn't make it so.

Not a claim.

It is a fact. Osama bin Laden was leading Mujahadeen financed by the US to fight the Russian invaders.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Read the 911 commission report.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1479146 wrote: Read the 911 commission report.That does say the Arab Mujahideen weren't financed by the US, though the Afghan Mujahideen obviously were, and the advanced weaponry the US gave the Afghan groups access to was pivotal in defeating the Soviet occupation.

This bit from Afghanistan 1979-1992 might clarify the difference:While the charges that the CIA was responsible for the rise of the Afghan Arabs might make good copy, they don't make good history. The truth is more complicated, tinged with varying shades of gray. The United States wanted to be able to deny that the CIA was funding the Afghan war, so its support was funneled through Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence agency (ISI). ISI in turn made the decisions about which Afghan factions to arm and train, tending to favor the most Islamist and pro-Pakistan. The Afghan Arabs generally fought alongside those factions, which is how the charge arose that they were creatures of the CIA.

The end result is that the Arab Mujahideen were amazingly and independently wealthy, the country was awash with advanced US weaponry outside the control of US and Pakistan's intelligence services, and Osama bin Laden's group could buy absolutely everything they wanted from the clandestinely-armed groups they associated with. They didn't need CIA contact to do that. For Americans to deny that their advanced armaments ended up in al-Qaida hands is just plain lying, though. Prevarication over whether they were gifted or bought is completely irrelevant.

Return to “Current Political Events”