Hunting!!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm actually getting ready to buy my license and a couple of deer tags...

Will be hunting within the next week...

Venison roast is very delicious and the Backstrap is very excellent both grilled and broiled...

:yh_wink...

:yh_drool...
Nomad

Hunting!!

Post by Nomad »

Chezzie;1043052 wrote: I like the royal family:-4:-4:-4

I dont think they deserve the fate you deal them either:D

You dont really think a grizzly and a kimodo dragon could take down the queen do ya ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Hoss;1043548 wrote: I hunt because I have been doing it since I was a kid, my father taught me and his father taught him. It's a skill that needs to be taught for survival reasons. This world isn’t always going to be the way it is, there may be a day when I will need to hunt to survive. It teaches developmental skills, its good exercise, and it gathers family together. It conserves the animal population, controls nuisance animals, and keeps predatory animals from harming my family. It provides meat for the table, and we use the skins and leather to make things out of. It gives opportunities to show bravery and teaches courage. When I kill an animal I thank the lord for his blessing my family with provision. It keeps me close to realizing that the lord provides above money. It keeps me close to the land and helps me be part of it. It makes me realize there is a give and take to life, and that sacrifice is sometimes necessary. It may be necessary for me to some day make that sacrifice for my family.

What if the current economic recession becomes a depression and food and money is scarce? We have land full of game that we can hunt and provide food for our family; we can grow our food and live off the land we own. You can’t do that unless you learn how God makes the land work, which includes hunting. If you over hunt, you can stop a type of animal from being a source of food, so knowing what to take and when is important to make sure you have plenty of game. A good hunter isn’t about killing everything in his path, a good hunter will conserve the resources he’s been given.

Hoss- Trying to explain the love of the hunt to a critter hugger is like trying to nail jello to a tree. It just won't stick. Something in the genes, maybe.
sunny104

Hunting!!

Post by sunny104 »

everyone we know that hunts does it to stock their freezers.

I'm wondering why some of you see hunting as different than the meat you get at the store which comes from slaughterhouses?? :thinking:
YZGI

Hunting!!

Post by YZGI »

Hunters also feel a sense of accomplishment for being able to provide for ourselves instead of buying processed hormone laden food from the grocers. Some people hunt some read romance novels we all have different interests and instincts. A writer will be proud of a book he has written a hunter is proud of his accomplishment of stalking, killing, cleaning and providing. Different strokes for different folks.
gmc

Hunting!!

Post by gmc »

The UK is a tiny island with 65 million people living on it mainly in the cities. Hunting is a privilege of the few who can afford it and everybody else gets arrested for poaching. Those who do go hunting also do their best to stop others enjoying the countryside as well and curtail the activities of other outdoor sports enthusiasts at every opportunity.

It's not really comparable with the united states where you have vast acres of wilderness. We have no wilderness left what passes for it is due more to over farming and de-population than anything else.
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

gmc;1043880 wrote: The UK is a tiny island with 65 million people living on it mainly in the cities. Hunting is a privilege of the few who can afford it and everybody else gets arrested for poaching. Those who do go hunting also do their best to stop others enjoying the countryside as well and curtail the activities of other outdoor sports enthusiasts at every opportunity.

It's not really comparable with the united states where you have vast acres of wilderness. We have no wilderness left what passes for it is due more to over farming and de-population than anything else.

Given those circumstances, I can better understand some of the attitudes towards hunting. But not when they are expressed by U.S. citizens. I used to love the hunt, when I was more able.
southern yankee

Hunting!!

Post by southern yankee »

Hoss;1043380 wrote: LOL, I am.

Hunting to me is a simple thing. I grew up in rural areas, I used to shoot grass hoppers with BB's for fish bait, catch large mouth bass, and eat them. I grew up hunting birds with my dad and grampa and uncles. There’s nothing like a kansas pheasant on the table in the fall. I've hunted dear, pig, elk, bear, fowl of all kinds. I eat everything I kill. I don't kill for the thrill of just killing. It takes skill to hunt; you have to know about the animal habits, and learn to stalk them. And even with a rifle designed to kill the animal I'm after it’s still not an easy thing to just go out and kill something. I just got back from a Quail hunt and I got skunked! Last time I went out I got only four. I don’t always hunt with a rifle, I took a good 90 pound pig a few months ago with a knife. i was a city kid. but i live in the country now. I have always had a love for wild life. I could never kill anything. I fuss, we have a lot of squirrels and bunnies on our property. the hunters better not even think about hurting my friends:-4 we have neighbors who have asked to hunt. but they no better now:sneaky:
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

hoppy;1043761 wrote: Hoss- Trying to explain the love of the hunt to a critter hugger is like trying to nail jello to a tree. It just won't stick. Something in the genes, maybe.

Depends on who makes the jello!!!!!!!!!!!!!...:yh_wink...:wah:...
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

sunny104;1043841 wrote: everyone we know that hunts does it to stock their freezers.

I'm wondering why some of you see hunting as different than the meat you get at the store which comes from slaughterhouses?? :thinking:

I would consider myself a hypocrite if I ate meat and couldn't kill my own food.

If I could not kill my own food I would not eat meat.

If I were unable to grow my own food nor gather I would then starve to death. Hypothetically speaking...

Simple in my mind really.
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hoss;1043548 wrote: I hunt because I have been doing it since I was a kid, my father taught me and his father taught him. It's a skill that needs to be taught for survival reasons. This world isn’t always going to be the way it is, there may be a day when I will need to hunt to survive. It teaches developmental skills, its good exercise, and it gathers family together. It conserves the animal population, controls nuisance animals, and keeps predatory animals from harming my family. It provides meat for the table, and we use the skins and leather to make things out of. It gives opportunities to show bravery and teaches courage. When I kill an animal I thank the lord for his blessing my family with provision. It keeps me close to realizing that the lord provides above money. It keeps me close to the land and helps me be part of it. It makes me realize there is a give and take to life, and that sacrifice is sometimes necessary. It may be necessary for me to some day make that sacrifice for my family.

What if the current economic recession becomes a depression and food and money is scarce? We have land full of game that we can hunt and provide food for our family; we can grow our food and live off the land we own. You can’t do that unless you learn how God makes the land work, which includes hunting. If you over hunt, you can stop a type of animal from being a source of food, so knowing what to take and when is important to make sure you have plenty of game. A good hunter isn’t about killing everything in his path, a good hunter will conserve the resources he’s been given.

Thank you for your honest Hoss:-6 I will agree to disagree;)
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

sunny104;1043841 wrote: everyone we know that hunts does it to stock their freezers.

Hi Sunny,

I understand the reason for the hunt...culling/food...

I just understand the joy of looking into the eye of an animal and shooting it. :(
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Kathy Ellen;1044430 wrote: Hi Sunny,

I understand the reason for the hunt...culling/food...

I just understand the joy of looking into the eye of an animal and shooting it. :(

I find deer to be grotesque animals that crap as they walk...Not everyone sees "cute" in animals.

Deer is much more healthy than cows or any other industrialized animal so I will hunt deer as much as I can by law.

I personally don't see how anyone could eat meat and hate the idea of hunting for food...I can't see it...

(Oh btw, I'm not trying to attack you or anyone else for that matter I'm just merely making statements...:yh_bigsmi...)...
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

K.Snyder;1044443 wrote: I find deer to be grotesque animals that crap as they walk...Not everyone sees "cute" in animals.

Deer is much more healthy than cows or any other industrialized animal so I will hunt deer as much as I can by law.

I personally don't see how anyone could eat meat and hate the idea of hunting for food...I can't see it...

(Oh btw, I'm not trying to attack you or anyone else for that matter I'm just merely making statements...:yh_bigsmi...)...

Thank you Kev, I appreciate your honesty like Hoss:-6

Don't worry...I know you're not attacking....;)

I just don't understand how anyone could not see the deer as a beautiful animal...

I was never a big meat eater, but I did love cheese burgers, filet mignon steaks. and pork chops.

Now, I don't eat much meat, but I do love lobster,chicken, pork and sabrette hot dogs once in-a-while. I mostly eat pasta or rice with a little meat.

Think I stopped eating bloody meat when I dissected a chicken leg, and it finally clicked in my head that I'm eatting the muscles of an animal....That just sickened me. Guess I just enjoyed the meat and didn't think about what I was eating.:confused:dunno.....

I only eat a little meat with lots of pasta, rice or bread..

Guess we're all different:wah:
shelbell

Hunting!!

Post by shelbell »

southern yankee;1044245 wrote: i was a city kid. but i live in the country now. I have always had a love for wild life. I could never kill anything. I fuss, we have a lot of squirrels and bunnies on our property. the hunters better not even think about hurting my friends:-4 we have neighbors who have asked to hunt. but they no better now:sneaky:

I'm with you SY, no way I could look at an animal and kill it. When a rabbit or squirrel gets into my yard, my Chow will chase it and kill it...it freaks me out if they're not completely dead. I could never hunt, but I do love meat. :)
shelbell

Hunting!!

Post by shelbell »

Hoss;1044467 wrote: I love animals too!

I just like to eat some of them. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate their natural beauty and gracefulness.

I don't doubt you Hoss. I'm saying that I love meat, but there is no way I can imagine killing an animal for it. I'm fine buying it at the store, but if I saw a face I wouldn't be able to eat it.
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Kathy Ellen;1044459 wrote: Thank you Kev, I appreciate your honesty like Hoss:-6

Don't worry...I know you're not attacking....;)

I just don't understand how anyone could not see the deer as a beautiful animal...

I was never a big meat eater, but I did love cheese burgers, filet mignon steaks. and pork chops.

Now, I don't eat much meat, but I do love lobster,chicken, pork and sabrette hot dogs once in-a-while. I mostly eat pasta or rice with a little meat.

Think I stopped eating bloody meat when I dissected a chicken leg, and it finally clicked in my head that I'm eatting the muscles of an animal....That just sickened me. Guess I just enjoyed the meat and didn't think about what I was eating.:confused:dunno.....

I only eat a little meat with lots of pasta, rice or bread..

Guess we're all different:wah:

I think the reason most people typically get turned off of meat is because they associate human beings with the animals they're eating merely because of their physical make up...

When such is the case I can understand why people give it a think...

The fact of the matter is is that every living thing on Earth is made up of the same sort of organisms...Everything has life but us humans have displayed our ability to be able to understand concepts to(in comparison to the rest of thinking animals) a monumental degree...The fact remains that human beings need to consume a living organism in order to survive...

What's left are the arguments pertaining to association...From the "pain" of the animals to the "cuteness" of the animals renders consuming food an idea of preferences, not necessity...Human beings survive quite well off of eating meat as much can be argued that vegetarians survive quite well as well so I think anything beyond the mentality of eating habits again falls strictly under ones outlook on "life"...

I personally feel eating meat is not wrong and I personally feel not eating meat is an insult not only to our ancestors that needed meat in order to live but people that still live today who would seriously become malnutritioned if they did not eat meat...

Omnivore Vs. Vegetarian

Commentary by Jim Walker

Evolution dictates our lot in life with the undisputable fact that in order to survive, all animals, including us, must consume the by-products of DNA (i.e., living things). Since living things provide the only DNA sources available, we must eat the flesh of life (plants and/or animals) to continue our existence. This presents a dilemma and a moral problem if we consider killing life as immoral and conserving life as moral. I hope to clarify some of the problems and to dispel some of the myths about eating plants and animals both from a health and moral perspective.

We can have no argument about the following: all animals consume either plants, animals or both. Every specie of animal falls into the category of either carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore (other classifications exist such as frugivore, granivore, insectivore, etc. but these fall under sub-classes of the three major groups).

Eating high concentrations of protein (meat) has evolutionary benefits for carnivores. Meat serves as an efficient way to build a body and to economically replenish lost muscle tissue. Carnivores usually have lean, fast moving bodies, good for running down or overpowering prey. They have short digestive tracts, good for quickly eliminating unnecessary mass and allowing a high-muscle, low-fat balance. Humans do not fall into the carnivore group.

Herbivores (vegetarians), on the other hand, need longer intestines to break down and assimilate tough-to-break-down plant fibers. This means that the food stays in the gut for long periods of time. Most herbivore mammals have higher fat concentrations than carnivores and they don't have the speed compared to carnivores. Just observe the large bellies of the great apes, and ruminants (oxen, cattle, sheep, etc.), and you will see how obese they seem compared to hunter-carnivores. Humans do not fall into the herbivore group either.

Homo sapiens, of course, fall into to the omnivore class. Through natural selection we evolved the teeth of omnivores, good for grinding grain, stripping leaves, and eating meat. We have long intestines (somewhere between carnivore and herbivore intestinal tracts), and a digestive system that will break down both acidic and alkaline based foods (protein, carbohydrates, and fat). Our closest relatives, the chimpanzees, also have an omnivore diet (not only do they eat plants and fruits but they hunt and eat monkeys, for example).

Humans beat all other omnivores by a large margin (omnivore comes from the Latin: omni, or everything). People will eat anything including bacteria, fungus, plants, and animals. From the plants we will eat roots, bark, sap, leaves, berries, fruits, nuts, flowers, and seeds. We will eat any animal, including worms, insects, crustaceans, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals (and in some cases, people). We will eat their meat, fat, eyes, brain, organs (including testicles), bones and shells (for calcium), milk, and blood. Humans will even eat rotten food such as cheese and sour cream (due to decomposition from bacteria). Risen bread and alcohol drinks made by fermentation comes about from the waste products of yeast. Japanese people eat nattoo, a form of rotten fermented soybean. Ræst kjøt comes from rotten mutton. Humans eat lots of rotten fish. The Icelandic delicacy hákarl comes from rotten shark; the Swedes love surströmming, a rotten herring dish; Ræstur fiskur describes a half-dried rotten fish delicacy; the Russian tresca comes from decomposed codfish. Some humans even drink urine. Yes urine*. Omnivore vs. Vegetarian

Animals are living organisms just like plants...No different...

One just has to accept the fact that humans are no different either.
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;1044483 wrote: Got ya!

I couldn't kill a dog unless it was threatening me. But anything else I really don't have a problem with. Now those people who raise pit bulls to display them for a status symbol of thug/drug use, those people I'd like to shoot.

I know you're just saying that in being typical but you do realize such is cold blooded murder correct?...
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;1044517 wrote: Sometimes the law doesn't allow for justice.

What did anyone who owns a pit bull do specifically that you can justify ending their life?
southern yankee

Hunting!!

shelbell;1044472 wrote: I don't doubt you Hoss. I'm saying that I love meat, but there is no way I can imagine killing an animal for it. I'm fine buying it at the store, but if I saw a face I wouldn't be able to eat it. yes you are looking into their pretty brown eyes. then blowing them away, Hoss We all are different.:)
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Originally posted by Ksnyder...

I think the reason most people typically get turned off of meat is because they associate human beings with the animals they're eating merely because of their physical make up...

yes Kev.....I think that you've hit the nail on the head. I never thought about what I was eating until I dissected a chicken leg. When I was pulling all the parts of the leg away....it hit me like a bolt of lightening how similar the human and chicken legs are.....

.....and then I barfed.....:yh_sick:yh_sick
conascot

Hunting!!

Post by conascot »

Hunting is big around here too. Local paper puts pix of everyone's kill. Most everyone hunts for the meat and those who just want the rack give the meat away....I don't hunt myself but I know a couple women that do. I don't feel there's anything wrong with hunting for food. Today's society is used to having the dirty deed done for them so maybe the thought repulses them; even so I don't think Mickey D's will be going out of buisness anytime soon. :D
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Hoss;1044572 wrote: Some pit bull owners breed the dog specifically to protect drug houses. We have them here in CA. When the cops come to make a felony arrest they let the dogs off of the chains to do what they have been breed to do, which is kill and destroy.

In my opinion breeding a dog for the soul purpose of illegal protection is a violent act. Those dogs are capable of killing a human and they are bred for that purpose in some instances, that’s murder.

The people I’m specifically talking about are the ones that buy these dogs as a status symbol of ‘toughness’; they walk them close to my neighborhood on a chain, dressed like a thug, with spiked collars etc. Thank God humans walk on two legs or on occasion I couldn't tell the difference between the pit bull and the thug. Hoss you have to distinguish particular instances that justifies your killing a human being...A person owning a pit bull without being of a threat to anyone is not justification to kill that person...I'd given you the benefit of the doubt that you were just speaking typically but to be quite honest when you say Hoss;1044483 wrote: [...]...Now those people who raise pit bulls to display them for a status symbol of thug/drug use, those people I'd like to shoot. it makes you sound like a cold blooded murderer with a prejudice for people who owns pit bulls to those that do not know you.

Hoss;1044572 wrote:

I've been attacked by two pit bulls, the owners can't handle the dogs pull force and they get loose. One of them I had to kill, as it was going to kill my dog, when the other one attacked I had more warning and I managed to jump over a chain link fence to avoid the dog. I honestly would much prefer to kill the owner than the dog, the dog is just doing what it was trained to do, and the owners supposedly have a higher learning process but fail to understand how powerful these dogs are. A 90 pound teenage thug isn’t going to be able to over power a 120 pound fighting machine on four legs when it suddenly decides to lunge at a kid riding by as it walks through the park.

In my opinion the breed should be outlawed, and only allowed to licensed animal trainers. Particular instances that gives justification toHoss;1044483 wrote: [...]...Now those people who raise pit bulls to display them for a status symbol of thug/drug use, those people I'd like to shoot. is something people can relate to as opposed to assuming you just hate people who walk around with pit bulls from which you'd like to murder them...

What's left is my wondering if you judge everyone who owns a pit bull based upon your experiences...

There are plenty of loving pit bulls in the world...The breed has nothing to do with it.
gmc

Hunting!!

Post by gmc »

Soon be haggis hunting season here. Early morning is the best time when putting the clocks back has then confused-they're kind of up but not yet awake.
southern yankee

Hunting!!

jimbo;1045301 wrote: i used to do spear fishing:thinking:

but the thought of killing a living feeling red blooded animal is really upsetting :thinking:

but i still eat the meat from farm animals ,that have been treated terribly and have been tortured beyond belief shut in pens ,had their young snatched away from them and been fed on untold horrors :thinking:

what a jerk i really am :thinking: i know it is sad how live stock and others are treated:(
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

jimbo;1045301 wrote: i used to do spear fishing:thinking:

but the thought of killing a living feeling red blooded animal is really upsetting :thinking:

but i still eat the meat from farm animals ,that have been treated terribly and have been tortured beyond belief shut in pens ,had their young snatched away from them and been fed on untold horrors :thinking:

what a jerk i really am :thinking:

southern yankee;1045388 wrote: i know it is sad how live stock and others are treated:(

Animal husbandry, from not only a moral but ethical point of view, is cause for concern when people feed cows other cows.

Could you imagine what cows would evolve into on such a diet after 100,000 years?...

Our ancestors are going to be eaten by cows ffs!!!!!...
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Here's an article I've read from 2006 that should contribute a bit to the thread...

Seeing as how I am completely for hunting I hope you don't find my bias to be a bit precluding...

Deer hunting contributes an estimated $266 million to Ohio's economy each year and helps to support thousands of jobs. Venison is delicious and nutritious meat, low in fat and cholesterol. It is the number one wild game served by hunters in Ohio. Deer hunters also contribute thousands of pounds of venison to organizations that help feed less-fortunate Ohio residents through special programs. Organizations that serve the state of Ohio include: Sportsmen Against Hunger and Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.co ... ecord.html

I hunt less than two miles from where the Ohio record buck was killed...

A record trophy buck was recognized with Warren County bow hunter Brad Jerman shooting a buck that scored 201 1/8 in the typical (symmetrical antlers) category of the Buckeye Big Bucks Club. Jerman’s deer tied the score of a buck taken in 1986 in Clark County by William Kontras.http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.co ... ecord.html

Hopefully I have as much luck as he did.
southern yankee

Hunting!!

a new friend of mine. her hubby is going hunting this coming weekend. she said she would give us a deer roast. well Hubby and his buddy will eat it. I don't do BAMBI. i did not tell her my feelings on hunting
shelbell

Hunting!!

Post by shelbell »

K.Snyder;1045613 wrote: Animal husbandry, from not only a moral but ethical point of view, is cause for concern when people feed cows other cows.

Could you imagine what cows would evolve into on such a diet after 100,000 years?...

Our ancestors are going to be eaten by cows ffs!!!!!...

Ewe! That's just not right!
shelbell

Hunting!!

Post by shelbell »

jimbo;1045301 wrote:

what a jerk i really am :thinking:

No comment Jimbutt...:lips::lips::lips:

teasin ya Jimbutt!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

southern yankee;1045675 wrote: a new friend of mine. her hubby is going hunting this coming weekend. she said she would give us a deer roast. well Hubby and his buddy will eat it. I don't do BAMBI. i did not tell her my feelings on hunting

Deer roast is delicious and extraordinarily more succulent than beef roast...

Well, when cooked right obviously...
conascot

Hunting!!

Post by conascot »

Hoss;1044668 wrote: Where abouts is here? How rural are you?

Hi Hoss. I'm in a small town in central Penna.

Return to “General Chit Chat”