Words that end in INCH

chonsigirl

Words that end in INCH

Post by chonsigirl »

dinch

Ghads, urban dictionary is shall we say, unique!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dinch
OpenMind

Words that end in INCH

Post by OpenMind »

chaffinch
spot

Words that end in INCH

Post by spot »

Is there a millifinch that flies around on hundreds of little wings and has huge pointy teeth?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Words that end in INCH

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah:

William Van Drinch

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,indian ... 57077.html

A pretty little picture.......
OpenMind

Words that end in INCH

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1002766 wrote: Is there a millifinch that flies around on hundreds of little wings and has huge pointy teeth?

The closest I can think of is an acre-inch. It do'n't fly though. [milli-; acre-; measurements].
spot

Words that end in INCH

Post by spot »

OpenMind;1002876 wrote: The closest I can think of is an acre-inch. It do'n't fly though. [milli-; acre-; measurements].

It must have been a different name then. There's a huge scary picture of one in a Mog book.

I checked, it's not a millifinch. It's a combination of a mouse, a dog and a bird and it exists in "Mog in the Dark" by Judith Kerr. It flies like a bird, has the body of a dog and the head of a mouse. Mog doesnt like it. Mog is a cat.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
OpenMind

Words that end in INCH

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1002908 wrote: It must have been a different name then. There's a huge scary picture of one in a Mog book.

I checked, it's not a millifinch. It's a combination of a mouse, a dog and a bird and it exists in "Mog in the Dark" by Judith Kerr. It flies like a bird, has the body of a dog and the head of a mouse. Mog doesnt like it. Mog is a cat.

You have the advantage on me there as I don't have a copy of said book. Maybe when Arabella's old enough to sit still long enough for me to read to her. On the other hand, sounds a bit scary for a bedtime story - I'm not surprised Mog doesn't like it.

There's a thing. I wonder what the etymology is for mog. I've always called cats moggies since I was a little kid. But I've never thought about the source of the term.
spot

Words that end in INCH

Post by spot »

A contraction of Margaret from the Middle Ages that ended up only used on cats and never on girls or women.

CHINCH

I reckon that's 32. Better than INTH anyhow.

Congratulations Chonsi, you get the medal this time.
OpenMind

Words that end in INCH

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1003594 wrote: A contraction of Margaret from the Middle Ages that ended up only used on cats and never on girls or women.

CHINCH

I reckon that's 32. Better than INTH anyhow.

Congratulations Chonsi, you get the medal this time.

It must have been a very common name for cats back then for it to stick.

I forgot to add hawfinch in my last post.

This post, I shall add flinch. (Chonsi gets to keep her medal though.)
Cow Patty

Words that end in INCH

Post by Cow Patty »

pinch
spot

Words that end in INCH

Post by spot »

Flinch was Idgie's, pinch was Carolly's.
Cow Patty

Words that end in INCH

Post by Cow Patty »

I didn't know we were keeping a log of previos posts:-5

squinch
spot

Words that end in INCH

Post by spot »

Cow Patty;1004014 wrote: I didn't know we were keeping a log of previos posts

squinch

Ah. You know, it never crossed my mind that we were doing anything but finding all the words.

I shall clarify the intention if I start another.

Squinch, rare though the word is, was Idgie's. I'm informed there's a squinch in Salisbury Cathedral and that it can also be used to mean parsimonious.
Cow Patty

Words that end in INCH

Post by Cow Patty »

chaffinch

Definition of chaffinch

n. - A bird of Europe (Fringilla coelebs), having a variety of very sweet songs, and highly valued as a cage bird; -- called also copper finch
OpenMind

Words that end in INCH

Post by OpenMind »

Cow Patty;1004020 wrote: chaffinch

Definition of chaffinch

n. - A bird of Europe (Fringilla coelebs), having a variety of very sweet songs, and highly valued as a cage bird; -- called also copper finch

See post 53.

Return to “Word Games”