Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Týr;1426322 wrote: If I loaded up a 4x4 with children and drove it as fast as I could back and forth across a municipal park for kicks I expect you'd criticize my lack of responsibility.

Not only would I add my criticism but I would not be surprised if you were a victim of your own stupidity.

I'm not sure why you throw in these occasion two-pennorth. I could see the point if you were occasionally right but you never are. Nobody could reasonably say Joachim von Ribbentrop was a victim of the Nuremberg Trials, for example, though he undoubtedly suffered from that destructive or injurious agency. He wasn't a victim because he was himself personally responsible for his being tried there. I can't think of any "victim" status which survives that test of personal responsibility for the circumstances which led to the event.

Context is everything. You can still be a victim even of your own stupidity caused an event to happen.

posted by oscar

The child was not a victim as such. Her death was due to the recklessness of others ie her Father.

I give up this is pointless.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426340 wrote: Has the bloody "Cause" been discovered yet ?
I expect we can all tune in next year and find out.

Why does a pleasure speedboat continue it's perambulations when no one is at it's controls ?
Because the pleasure speedboat equivalent of the Dead Man's Handle didn't activate. They all have one, there's an assortment of reasons why it might not deploy in an empty boat.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Týr

Post by Týr »

gmc;1426341 wrote: Context is everything. You can still be a victim even of your own stupidity caused an event to happen. Keep going, this is at least on topic. Would you agree or disagree that Joachim von Ribbentrop was a victim of the Nuremberg Trials, to take my concrete example. If you'd find the word "victim" inappropriate, could you express why? What distinguishes it from "You can still be a victim even of your own stupidity caused an event to happen".
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1426343 wrote: Because the pleasure speedboat equivalent of the Dead Man's Handle didn't activate. They all have one, there's an assortment of reasons why it might not deploy in an empty boat.

So "Victim" of a dodgy safety device may still apply ?

Or are you second guessing the thing was OK and the guy was an arsehole ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426346 wrote: So "Victim" of a dodgy safety device may still apply ?

Or are you second guessing the thing was OK and the guy was an arsehole ?

Neither. If you think the position in which he placed himself and his family was risky, regardless of whether the cut-out was working or whether it was used correctly, then to a greater or lesser extent he brought on the consequence. Are leisure speedboats in coastal waters risky? Is the Pope Catholic? My comparison of loading up a 4x4 with children and driving it flat out over bumpy ground seems fair to me. The antisocial aspect of where he was doing it is just icing on the cake.

Were I a social worker and I discovered children in that position I'd have them put up for adoption.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1426347 wrote: Neither. If you think the position in which he placed himself and his family was risky, regardless of whether the cut-out was working or whether it was used correctly, then to a greater or lesser extent he brought on the consequence. Are leisure speedboats in coastal waters risky? Is the Pope Catholic? My comparison of loading up a 4x4 with children and driving it flat out over bumpy ground seems fair to me. The antisocial aspect of where he was doing it is just icing on the cake.

Were I a social worker and I discovered children in that position I'd have them put up for adoption.

I shall let you return to your cottonwool cocooned existence.............

You would be one busy social worker, best they site you inland
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You will have to sort out your editted posts and the continuity involved.......I wont tell the BBC
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426351 wrote: You will have to sort out your editted posts and the continuity involved.

I do apologize for the cross-posted sentence, I've brushed it under the carpet.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426349 wrote: I shall let you return to your cottonwool cocooned existence.............I'm not sure you appreciate what these boats are like - I've never owned a car with as much power, for instance. I described them as at least potentially risky in coastal waters and the attached article seems to support that view:Mr Montgomery-Swan, who has 25 years' experience driving powerboats, said he believed it should be mandatory for new boat owners to complete a competency training course.

Richard Falk, the Royal Yachting Association's training manager, agreed complacency was an issue amongst "some groups of individuals, particularly people who might be rusty on boat use and might need reminding."

BBC News - Powerboat 'kill cord complacency' fears

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I don't appreciate the power of these boats no, and neither did the caring father who tragically wrecked his family.

Whether he should have known better, whether he overlooked precautions is beside the point at this stage.

I believe the safety aspect of such a 'kill cord' is not enough, if the boat functions without it in place, it is useless.
Týr

Post by Týr »

What bozo failed to read this before it was published?The oxygen tank that stopped the conquest of Everest

linking toHigh altitude boots, rubber walkie talkies and experimental oxygen tanks helped Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay conquer the world's highest mountain 60 years ago. The 1953 Everest expedition used the latest technology available at the time. The Royal Geographical Society, which helped organise the trip, is celebrating with two exhibitions.

BBC News - The 1953 technology used to climb Everest

The slideshow eventually explains the link text but the article totally fails to make it coherent, and the breathing system referenced obviously failed to "stop the conquest of Everest".
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1426409 wrote: I believe the safety aspect of such a 'kill cord' is not enough, if the boat functions without it in place, it is useless.I don't think any boat ever has.

BBC News - Padstow speedboat deaths: 'Kill cord not used by driver'

That photo looks pretty conclusive.
Týr

Post by Týr »

SAS man detained for gun possession

Seriously? What does "detained" mean, I wonder.

SAS sniper Danny Nightingale has been given a suspended sentence by a military court for illegal possession of a pistol and ammunition.

BBC News - SAS man Danny Nightingale sentenced for gun possession

Fire the sub-editor, that's what I reckon.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Týr;1432351 wrote: SAS man detained for gun possession

Seriously? What does "detained" mean, I wonder.

SAS sniper Danny Nightingale has been given a suspended sentence by a military court for illegal possession of a pistol and ammunition.

BBC News - SAS man Danny Nightingale sentenced for gun possession

Fire the sub-editor, that's what I reckon. It was on appeal.... He was detained when he was originally given two years.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Post by Týr »

oscar;1432356 wrote: It was on appeal.... He was detained when he was originally given two years.
Christ on a bicycle, you're hard work. It's a news item about today's events, not a history lesson about the last two years. "SAS man detained for gun possession" is not a fair summary of today's news, as the article shows. It's a NEWS site.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1432384 wrote: Christ on a bicycle, you're hard work. It's a news item about today's events, not a history lesson about the last two years. "SAS man detained for gun possession" is not a fair summary of today's news, as the article shows. It's a NEWS site.

The author was writing retroactively ie pertaining to the past whilst covering the appeal which Is of today.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Post by Týr »

oscar;1432385 wrote: The author was writing retroactively ie pertaining to the past whilst covering the appeal which Is of today.

"The author"? It's a link title to a news article, not a paragraph in a history book. I think you argue just in order to argue. How you think that's a contribution I'm not sure.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1432399 wrote: "The author"? It's a link title to a news article, not a paragraph in a history book. I think you argue just in order to argue. How you think that's a contribution I'm not sure.

I think what you actually mean Is ' How dare I disagree with you'

What seems evident is that you were unaware the ruling was on appeal and prior the serviceman had been detained. Anyone aware of that would not have questioned the link title. Thus If It was retroactively written, It is grammatically correct.
Týr

Post by Týr »

If you're ever diagnosed brain-dead, leave a note pointing out that I said it first.
Oscar Namechange

Týr;1432408 wrote: If you're ever diagnosed brain-dead, leave a note pointing out that I said it first. Personally attack me all you like.

It's hardly adult Is It?

If you simply can not grasp retroactive phrasing, I suggest a course In English Grammar.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1432408 wrote: If you're ever diagnosed brain-dead, leave a note pointing out that I said it first.

When are you ever going to learn some manners ? Reading what you have posted, I am disgusted that you seem to find it necessary to be so insulting to another person. I am at a loss as to why you nit-pick at such inconsequential things - I believe it is you, Tyr, spot, FG, or whoever you feel like being today or any day, who is the one who is arguing 'just to argue'. You really sound like a 'grumpy old man' who has nothing better to do than to analyse other peoples' posts and try to blow the contents to pieces. Would you not benefit from taking a walk somewhere nice and relaxing, like a local beauty spot, and give other people a break on this site?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Týr

Post by Týr »

It's a natural consequence of having meaningless drivel puked onto my posts, Gill.
Týr

Post by Týr »

The last time the soldier in question was actually under detention was, unless anyone knows better, November 2012 since when he has been... what word is right, given the circumstances... undetained.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1432448 wrote: It's a natural consequence of having meaningless drivel puked onto my posts, Gill.

It is still not enough to excuse such insults. It surprises me that a person of your intelligence does not have the common sense to rise above such reactions. Maybe the answer is 'common sense', which is seemingly absent in many people like yourself, that I have met in my life.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1432450 wrote: It is still not enough to excuse such insults.Actually, my sweet, it damn well is. The only reason she wrecks my threads is because she enjoys being antisocial. I'm long past the point where I'd care two hoots if she fell under a bus.
Oscar Namechange

Now you are blatantly lying.

I do not wreck your threads. I do not enter 99% of your threads for the pointless, meaningless drivel of self waxing lyrical that they are, as most members do here.

There was no desire whatsoever to wreck your thread here. I have been polite and civil despite your childish tantrumesque behaviour because someone has dared disagree with you.

I entered the thread because you seemed blindly unaware that the serviceman was originally detained. It is you who has carried on In this manner with the Insults, and thereby trashing your own thread. All you had to do, If you were that put out, was Ignore my Initial post. Yet you just can't help yourself can you? You make the Insults to goad and bait and then whine that your thread has been wrecked.

You have complained In the past that you had to shut your Spot account due to my bullying you. Throwing around Insults when someone has been perfectly polite to you Is hardly the actions of someone who has felt bullied and I am in no doubt your sole aim Is to goad.

I'll leave you to your thread and yourself as others have,
Týr

Post by Týr »

oscar;1432453 wrote: I'll leave you to your thread and yourself as others have,I'd lay money you won't, since you never have. You do me deliberate, repetitive, malicious harm on this site.
Týr

Post by Týr »

And another.

The American village set to disappear

Note the definite article. A headline of "American village set to disappear" would refer to a single village. "The American village set to disappear" refers to the disappearance of the complete set of all American villages.

Which is not what the truth relates to.

A lot of the time, I think, these headline link errors are deliberately designed to sound like something huge in order to attract a click. It's still pointlessly misleading.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Týr;1432631 wrote: And another.

The American village set to disappear

Note the definite article. A headline of "American village set to disappear" would refer to a single village. "The American village set to disappear" refers to the disappearance of the complete set of all American villages.

Which is not what the truth relates to.

A lot of the time, I think, these headline link errors are deliberately designed to sound like something huge in order to attract a click. It's still pointlessly misleading.Maybe they think this is the only American village? Though I agree the headline is most likely worded to grab attention.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Týr

Post by Týr »

I quite simply don't know how the BBC can tolerate this sort of drivel...

"In 1978, six years before the creation of the worldwide web..."

BBC News - British inventor of online shopping on his inspiration

I know precisely what the gormless twit intended by that twaddle, but surely someone in the editing process should be capable of getting the factual content right.
Týr

Post by Týr »

What on earth are these apostrophes meant to convey? When is any sense of professionalism going to be injected into the BBC News website?

Harley Davidson's cross bridge

About 2,000 bikers riding Harley Davidson's cross the Old Severn Bridge in to raise money for charity.

Old Severn Bridge crossed by thousands of Harley Davidson's

About 2,000 bikers riding Harley Davidson's have crossed the Old Severn Bridge, in Bristol, to raise money for charity.

BBC News - Old Severn Bridge crossed by thousands of Harley Davidson's

theia

Post by theia »

Now that IS irritating...what are they thinking of?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Týr

Post by Týr »

Perhaps I shouldn't look at the BBC news pages early on a Saturday morning. "Fans around world await Who special" caused me much puzzlement since I wasn't expecting Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend to be out on tour together again for another year. It turns out not to have been about The Who at all but about a TV Anniversary Special for Doctor Who. How hard can it be for the BBC to label things by their right name?

The BBC plugging their own entertainment programs on their own news site is utterly naff. Their report is not news, it's publicity.
theia

Post by theia »

Týr;1441353 wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't look at the BBC news pages early on a Saturday morning. "Fans around world await Who special" caused me much puzzlement since I wasn't expecting Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend to be out on tour together again for another year. It turns out not to have been about The Who at all but about a TV Anniversary Special for Doctor Who. How hard can it be for the BBC to label things by their right name?

The BBC plugging their own entertainment programs on their own news site is utterly naff. Their report is not news, it's publicity.

I agree. I thought The Who when I began to read your post.

So many "not news" items presented as news nowadays.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Con6tY5efs

Post by Con6tY5efs »

In the main accurate In reporting
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Why does Con6tYsefs (whoever they may be) show as the last post on this thread when viewed in latest posts.

But they don't appear here ?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1441567 wrote: Why does Con6tYsefs (whoever they may be) show as the last post on this thread when viewed in latest posts.

But they don't appear here ?

Because the post is held for moderation - it includes a link to a gif of some form.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I see......very interesting
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ABC news this morning. Apparently John Cleese has a "followship" of tweeters.
Týr

Post by Týr »

fuzzywuzzy;1441642 wrote: ABC news this morning. Apparently John Cleese has a "followship" of tweeters.
I quite like that - the OED should include it. Tweeting needed a collective noun.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

What ever happened to "a following"?.......Is "followship" an actual word? I've never heard of it .
FG-administator

Post by FG-administator »

This is such deliberately shoddy story-making. The headline reeds "Hague rejects Iraq 'abuse' complaint", the complaint was to the International Criminal Court which is established in The Hague, the seat of government in the Netherlands. Were it true that the International Criminal Court had rejected Iraq's complaint it would be major news. In fact, clicking on the link leeds to a fluff-piece of non-news that the UK Foreign Secretary, William Hague, "says a bid to prosecute British politicians and senior military figures for alleged war crimes in Iraq should be rejected". Well - to quote Mandy Rice Davis in similar circumstances - he would say that, wouldn't he.

The link text is deliberately misleading, as so many other BBC links have been. It's a vile game the BBC news website editors are playing and they should call a halt to it, the BBC has a higher reputation to maintain than they're abiding by.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25703723

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
Týr

Post by Týr »

Balling?

What on earth does balling mean?

It's not a link this time, just an article, but it's left me bemused.

"I pretty much said 'No way', I was in so much shock and just balling. I just couldn't believe she was gone.

BBC News - Northampton women killed in Utah police officer family shooting

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1444798 wrote: Balling?

"I pretty much said 'No way', I was in so much shock and just balling. I just couldn't believe she was gone.

Bawling.

Crying a lot.

?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1444833 wrote: Bawling.

Crying a lot.

?
That could only be the explanation if the responsible BBC News website editor is illiterate to the point of incompetence, Shirley.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1444835 wrote: That could only be the explanation if the responsible BBC News website editor is illiterate to the point of incompetence, Shirley.

I thinking it was a proofreader failure.

Possibly even a transcription failure.

Combination of the two.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1444842 wrote: I thinking it was a proofreader failure.

Possibly even a transcription failure.

Combination of the two.I notice the site's been corrected since. Bawling it is.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Gordon Bennett...

"I didn't want to be influenced in any way - the only thing I did do was read the novel because that was the purist source material I could find," he says.

BBC News - Musketeers return for 21st Century audience

I may be a purist, but the novel certainly can't be.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1444798 wrote: Balling?

From the Oxford English Dictionary :-

[no object] weep or cry noisily:

(as adjective bawling) bawling babies :-p
Týr

Post by Týr »

What on earth does the full entry say? Mine's crated or I'd look. There should be quotes at least.

Return to “General Chit Chat”