What would YOU have done????

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

I heard something yesterday that I cant seem to get out of my mind.A Caravan site that I was at was still buzzing with what happened a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't heard about.It appears there was a dog that kept barking and got on a gentlemans nerves.There was rows over it even.One day the fella cracked and took a knife to the dog and as he was stabbing it to death the owner heard the dog and saw what was happening.....she starting screaming and went and got a knife and slit the gentlemans throat.She is on remand...her caravan got moved off the site and the gentleman is recovering and of course the dog died.

Now I have 6 dogs and the question I have been asking myself is..........what would I have done.Have I the right to say this woman was way out of order and should have the book thrown at her......of course .......many must be shouting right now but the truth is....if I saw somebody stabbing one of my dogs to death and heard its pain, what the hell would I have done, truth is........I just dont know.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Don't know that I would have slit the loser's throat but I certainly would have made him stop stabbing my dog, regardless of where the knife went. The SOB is lucky it wasn't a gun. For those who are gonna say it's "just"a dog, what if it had been a screaming, crying baby? Would it be okay to stab the kid??
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A tragedy indeed. I would have been shocked and angry at seeing someone hurt my pet.

Most campsites (here in the USA anyway) have an owner in residence. If there is a problem with another camper, this should be reported to the owner. The owner would then talk to the camper who is creating the problem. If nothing is resolved then, the local police can be called in. The offending camper would be required to move out. In the campground we stay at in Florida, there is a security guard who rides around the grounds on a regular basis.

Violence is NOT the answer.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Neither is turning the other cheek.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Had anyone asked her to quite the Dog down?? I hate a barking dog but this is insane there could have been some communication between the dog owner and the campsite users. Hell take the Dog for a walk do somehting. :thinking:

Yes here in the State every camp ground has a person in charge of the site so these kinda of thing don't esculate.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I'm not sure if I'd have time to grab anything..?

I can't imagine this guy absolutely losing it to provoke stabbing the dog as if there's no other solution.

Was this dog owner legally justified for her actions?

any one in jail? Penalty ?

Patsy
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

I presume that the owners of the site were told but its not easy to tell a dog to shut up at certain times.My dogs are very well behaved but certain things spark them off and thats not always so easy to control.I dont know if the woman had been warned about the dog but fgs to take a knife to it and kill it???????
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Patsy Warnick;968579 wrote: I'm not sure if I'd have time to grab anything..?

I can't imagine this guy absolutely losing it to provoke stabbing the dog as if there's no other solution.

Was this dog owner legally justified for her actions?

any one in jail? Penalty ?

Patsy
I heard shes been remanded...the truth is Patsy he did lose it....why who knows as I dont know the gentleman but apart from grabbing something to get him off the dog what could she have done.....call the police many would say but thats not instant enough I guess when you are having to listen to your pet in agony.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

omg i am in total shock.....i dont really know what i would of done.....:thinking::(
FOC THREAD PART 1
valerie

Post by valerie »

Carolly;968587 wrote: I heard shes been remanded...the truth is Patsy he did lose it....why who knows as I dont know the gentleman but apart from grabbing something to get him off the dog what could she have done.....call the police many would say but thats not instant enough I guess when you are having to listen to your pet in agony.

I say always keep a fire extinguisher handy, you should have one in

your "caravan" in any case. At the very first hint of trouble, use it on the

guy. You can potentially stand far enough away from him to not get

struck with the knife yourself, you have the element of surprise, and

at the very least you can distract him long enough to get your dog

away.

I always carry pepper spray, but it's against the law here to use it any

way except protecting yourself. If you wanted to chance that, then

you could.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Carolly

Post by Carolly »

valerie;968662 wrote: I say always keep a fire extinguisher handy, you should have one in

your "caravan" in any case. At the very first hint of trouble, use it on the

guy. You can potentially stand far enough away from him to not get

struck with the knife yourself, you have the element of surprise, and

at the very least you can distract him long enough to get your dog

away.

I always carry pepper spray, but it's against the law here to use it any

way except protecting yourself. If you wanted to chance that, then

you could.
Excellent thought with the Fire Extinguisher Val but got to admit when I had a caravan I doubt I would have given that a thought.No matter what... in the eyes of the law she was wrong.Its like the people in this country who have harmed/killed people they have caught in their house and tried to defend themselves, they are the ones in the wrong.On that you could say if they wern't invading somebody's property it wouldn't have happened.And so it goes on......the thing is I honestly dont know how I would get the picture of a dear pet being stabbed to death ever to leave me and again I ask myself what the hell would I have done.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Carolly;968530 wrote: I heard something yesterday that I cant seem to get out of my mind.A Caravan site that I was at was still buzzing with what happened a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't heard about.It appears there was a dog that kept barking and got on a gentlemans nerves.There was rows over it even.One day the fella cracked and took a knife to the dog and as he was stabbing it to death the owner heard the dog and saw what was happening.....she starting screaming and went and got a knife and slit the gentlemans throat.She is on remand...her caravan got moved off the site and the gentleman is recovering and of course the dog died.

Now I have 6 dogs and the question I have been asking myself is..........what would I have done.Have I the right to say this woman was way out of order and should have the book thrown at her......of course .......many must be shouting right now but the truth is....if I saw somebody stabbing one of my dogs to death and heard its pain, what the hell would I have done, truth is........I just dont know.

If I ever saw someone treating any animal that way, I don't think I would ever hesitate to intervene!
Life is just to short for drama.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Odie;968741 wrote: If I ever saw someone treating any animal that way, I don't think I would ever hesitate to intervene!

That's the only way it should be. Defenseless animals, defenseless kids, defenseless people in general. **** on the law.
Odie

Post by Odie »

RedGlitter;968754 wrote: That's the only way it should be. Defenseless animals, defenseless kids, defenseless people in general. **** on the law.

I agree, with me, I would have done something, no one has the right to hurt any animal as far as I am concerned, no one!:mad:

Thing is to, we must remember, has anyone heard a dog constantly barking?

IT does really really get on your nerves, where was the woman when the dog was barking like this? And is that dog always barking?

We have a couple of dogs here on the street of houses barking also, but after a few seconds, the dog stops, because the owner has said to the dog, 'stop barking'.

To me, if you have have dogs, they should be trained not to bark when you say to stop. If you cannot train your dog, ask someone that knows how to train them.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Odie;968765 wrote: I agree, with me, I would have done something, no one has the right to hurt any animal as far as I am concerned, no one!:mad:

Thing is to, we must remember, has anyone heard a dog constantly barking?

IT does really really get on your nerves, where was the woman when the dog was barking like this? And is that dog always barking?

We have a couple of dogs here on the street of houses barking also, but after a few seconds, the dog stops, because the owner has said to the dog, 'stop barking'.

To me, if you have have dogs, they should be trained not to bark when you say to stop. If you cannot train your dog, ask someone that knows how to train them.The thing is being a caravan she may have gone out and left the dog alot I really dont know.I cant see how the dog was allowed to roam as that would not have been allowed so I suspect the caravan had a an enclosure attached to the van as many do on that site and the dog was left there alot of the time and that would have been where the incident happened I suspect.So what would have happened if a baby had kept crying????
valerie

Post by valerie »

It's good that you are considering what you would do now, Carolly.

I do that a lot, set up scenarios in my head. It helps you for when the

real emergency comes up. On my morning walks, I sometimes think how

I would react if I heard a newborn crying in the bushes. Think about

how to describe to police WHERE I am. Stuff like that.

One thing that's important to remember, though, is not getting hurt

yourself, that does nobody any good, not you or the dog. Especially

important with a person with a knife. The rule is: "Charge a gun,

flee a knife" and for good reason. You've got to figure out a way to stay

far enough away from it to be safe and still get something done.

I know the urge to protect the innocent very well. I stood in front of

what I thought was a drunk driver, to keep him from driving away

with kids in the car. When I talked to the police later, they were

pretty cautionary about what I'd done, saying they didn't advise it.

I looked one of them in the eye and said "He had kids in the car I

just couldn't let him drive away" and he didn't say much... maybe he

understood.

A dog barking incessantly does drive you nuts, but this guy took that

to the extreme, and likely had other problems anyway.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Carolly

Post by Carolly »

valerie;968787 wrote: It's good that you are considering what you would do now, Carolly.

I do that a lot, set up scenarios in my head. It helps you for when the

real emergency comes up. On my morning walks, I sometimes think how

I would react if I heard a newborn crying in the bushes. Think about

how to describe to police WHERE I am. Stuff like that.

One thing that's important to remember, though, is not getting hurt

yourself, that does nobody any good, not you or the dog. Especially

important with a person with a knife. The rule is: "Charge a gun,

flee a knife" and for good reason. You've got to figure out a way to stay

far enough away from it to be safe and still get something done.

I know the urge to protect the innocent very well. I stood in front of

what I thought was a drunk driver, to keep him from driving away

with kids in the car. When I talked to the police later, they were

pretty cautionary about what I'd done, saying they didn't advise it.

I looked one of them in the eye and said "He had kids in the car I

just couldn't let him drive away" and he didn't say much... maybe he

understood.

A dog barking incessantly does drive you nuts, but this guy took that

to the extreme, and likely had other problems anyway.The thing is Val...and I have given this so much thought I really have now....at the time it happened and not knowing some other options open to me...if I have to be totally honest I would have done ANYTHING to get the fella off my dog.And got to say this also.......any animal and of course any human that was suffering at the hands of somebody with a knife.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Carolly;968776 wrote: The thing is being a caravan she may have gone out and left the dog alot I really dont know.I cant see how the dog was allowed to roam as that would not have been allowed so I suspect the caravan had a an enclosure attached to the van as many do on that site and the dog was left there alot of the time and that would have been where the incident happened I suspect.So what would have happened if a baby had kept crying????

I think she had perhaps left the dog alot and he was barking, but still no reason to kill it!

We see alot of this kind of stuff here in such a huge city, this is not uncommon to us..............and we despise people that do hurt pets, but we have also heard the annoyance of a dog barking, especially at night, when its left outside in the backyard.....and it continually barks................you end up not sleeping which stresses you out, and some people here, just don't care if they're dogs are barking.

but in no way gives anyone the right to hurt or kill an animal.

Years ago a nasty neighbour who lived across the street warned an owner who lived besided him...................get that dog to shut up.................the owner never listened and the man fed him poison meat....................he was happy about what he did to the dog................he said he just couldn't take it anymore. He had lived beside a constantly barking dog for 2 years, he could not rest, he got no sleep, he could not sit outside and when the owner doesn't care..........and you have also called the police dozens of times and animal control......................

people are going to snap.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzy butt;968864 wrote: Hmmm I'm coming to this with a different point of view. If the dog was barking to cause rows over it , I'm assuming it was insescent barking .

As a form of psychological torture around the world a tape is sometimes used of a dog barking and it will be played for hours and hours. It is meant to break you down and sometimes cause a temporary insanity. Unfortunetly this is a circumstance that happens in real life. Basically a form of stress caused by a continuous barking. Then you have many people who have different form of types of Autism where inner ear disturbances cause stress. Different pitch in sound cause an irritation to brain waves in some people. So it's not just someone being billergent about your dog barking , but the barking dog can, in a lot of situations, cause real harm. Unfortunetly it's quite common.

So far in the thread it seems to be a reactive answer to the situation rather than preventative advice. I believe all dog owners should be aware of how their animals impact on others, and put in measures to minimise that impact. You may love your "moggy" or "mut" ........................but nobody else does, you can be sure of it.

I think this is a classic case of inaction over a barking dog obviously brought to attention by the arguments and still nothing was done about it. I'm a little surprised that the caravan operaters did nothing to quell the situation . They do have a responsibility to "all" their patrons. This situation got out of control and ending badly .

Maybe dog owners and neighbours alike can learn from this.

Carol, This is such a tragedy and you've asked great questions....really made me think:thinking:

Very well put Mags. I hear ya loud and clear and agree, but too often people don't want to communicate and are filled with anger and hatred. Nothing gets resolved then:thinking: . Constant barking and bouncing the basketball drive me crazy because it never, ever stops. I had long talks with my neighbors and we compromised. I was proud of myself that I approached them because I'm too quick-tempered and react too quickly.

Carol, I've thought about this question for a long time. I honestly don't know how I would react due to my quick temper. I believe that I would have grabbed a skillet and knocked him over his head...not to kill but to stun hopefully. I don't believe that I could kill anyone unless there was no other choice. That poor animal must have suffered terribly.

I still need to think about what should happen to all parties involved.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

I wouldn't have had the time to think, I react to things very quickly. If I saw this happening to one of my "babies" I would have jumped him from behind and smashed his face in. I'm a very protective person when it comes to my family...and my dogs are family. Hearing about things like this makes my blood boil! :mad:
gmc

Post by gmc »

Recently a drunken teenager took a kick at my dog cos it ran into the water near his fishing rod. He missed but my immediate reaction tended towards the rather violent. Luckily it was the drink more than anything else and his friends grabbed him. Had he continued then yes I would have taken action.

This bloke was clearly a threat to the woman as well and out of control. I suspect any jury will be rather sympathetic in the circumstances. If he was still attacking her dog fair enough but if she did it in cold blood that is different. That is after all the point of a trial by jury who decide if the action was justified or not in the circumstances. Probably she couldn't find anything to hand big enough to hit him with.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Kathy Ellen;968891 wrote: Carol, This is such a tragedy and you've asked great questions....really made me think:thinking:

Very well put Mags. I hear ya loud and clear and agree, but too often people don't want to communicate and are filled with anger and hatred. Nothing gets resolved then:thinking: . Constant barking and bouncing the basketball drive me crazy because it never, ever stops. I had long talks with my neighbors and we compromised. I was proud of myself that I approached them because I'm too quick-tempered and react too quickly.

Carol, I've thought about this question for a long time. I honestly don't know how I would react due to my quick temper. I believe that I would have grabbed a skillet and knocked him over his head...not to kill but to stun hopefully. I don't believe that I could kill anyone unless there was no other choice. That poor animal must have suffered terribly.

I still need to think about what should happen to all parties involved.Yes Kathy it is a hard one thats for sure and thats why I put this thread up.Have to admit when I first heard I said.........OMG NO!!!!!But then I thought hang on what would I have done......you have seen pictures of my fluffy little darlings and you also know how much I love them.I remember being a child and taking a knife to a fella that I thought was hurting my mother.....another story but as young as I was I did it because of the situation at the time.Im alot older now but if any wiser ...well who knows.....and also have to say we all protect those we love which with me..... as I know many others.... includes our pets.Again I have to use that famous.....unless you have walked in their shoes dont knock them.Im singing Thursday week over that way and will ask if there is any more info regarding this matter.Indeed why did this dog bark so much.....why wasn't this sorted out by the site owners before it went as far as it did and what made a grown man flip like he did.But one thing is for sure now I realise and I think I say for a few of us on this thread......we would have done SOMETHING......how far we would have gone is still the big question and is one I hope that none of us ever have to find out.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Carolly;968530 wrote: I heard something yesterday that I cant seem to get out of my mind.A Caravan site that I was at was still buzzing with what happened a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't heard about.It appears there was a dog that kept barking and got on a gentlemans nerves.There was rows over it even.One day the fella cracked and took a knife to the dog and as he was stabbing it to death the owner heard the dog and saw what was happening.....she starting screaming and went and got a knife and slit the gentlemans throat.She is on remand...her caravan got moved off the site and the gentleman is recovering and of course the dog died.

OMG that's made me feel sick. I wouldn't have stabbed the person but would have given him/her a hell of a beating with whatever I could get my hands on. I would have gone for the owner in the first place if the dog was driving me mad, done it before with a neighbours dog. I'd never ever hurt an animal.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

crazygal;969066 wrote: OMG that's made me feel sick. I wouldn't have stabbed the person but would have given him/her a hell of a beating with whatever I could get my hands on. I would have gone for the owner in the first place if the dog was driving me mad, done it before with a neighbours dog. I'd never ever hurt an animal.
Point is babe at the end of the day you would still have been done by the police and knocking somebody over the head hard could have even killed them ....most of us agree though reading this that we would all have been violent in some form.Its really something Ive never thought about before and quite an eye opener.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My neighbor has a yappy little weenie dog. The entire time he's outside at the same time as I, he's right at the fence, nonstop barking. With every yap I get angrier and angrier ... AT THE OWNER! Now there's somebody that deserves a beating. :mad:
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Accountable;969086 wrote: My neighbor has a yappy little weenie dog. The entire time he's outside at the same time as I, he's right at the fence, nonstop barking. With every yap I get angrier and angrier ... AT THE OWNER! Now there's somebody that deserves a beating. :mad:

I totally agree. I run into the same problem whenever I live in a town.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Yes of course the owner is it blame in no way can you say it was the dogs fault.A dog is only as well behaved as its owner teaches it to be and Ive had upto 13 dogs at one time and people couldn't believe how many I did have when they visited and oh yes there all little dogs which are surposed to make more of a racket!!!
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Carolly;969078 wrote: Point is babe at the end of the day you would still have been done by the police and knocking somebody over the head hard could have even killed them ....most of us agree though reading this that we would all have been violent in some form.Its really something Ive never thought about before and quite an eye opener.

I know but I hate anyone being cruel to animals. I think I'd act first and think later. It would just be an instant reaction.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Accountable;969086 wrote: My neighbor has a yappy little weenie dog. The entire time he's outside at the same time as I, he's right at the fence, nonstop barking. With every yap I get angrier and angrier ... AT THE OWNER! Now there's somebody that deserves a beating. :mad:

Do it, do it. :wah:
Helen

Post by Helen »

i had someone move into the house next door over a period of days and they left their dog there over night to guard their property. it didnt stop barking from the time they left to the time they returned in the morning. it drove me mad but not once did i consider harming the dog.

the new neighbours soon learned what i thought about them though !!

ive had a go at someone a couple of times that ive seen aiming a punch at a dog when its not done what its told, even threatening to take the dog away from the last one.

if it was my dog............................. protection would over take reason im afraid and id pick up the first thing that came to hand and id beat the livin day lights out of them......... and im not a violent person as my freinds will tell you.

have to agree with fuzzys last post though, there are people who dont like or are afraid of dogs and i do make sure that mine dosnt get in peoples way.
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzy butt;969473 wrote: GMC I'm afraid I would do the same as a teenager . Dogs have no business around fisherman whilst fishing. I learnt that lesson well. I was quite sure that my dog wouldn't interrupt fisherman on the beach ................that was until she ran off with a fish in her mouth she'd stolen from a bucket. I've also witnessed a Lab tip five fishing rods into the drink off a pier. God, I was glad not to be the owner of that dog that day. You don't want to see an angry fisherman who has just lost an expensive rod.:-3

My advice to anyone (trust me, this is through experience) If you are taking your dog to the beach .............take it away from everyone else. If you are going to take a walk down a pier? Keep your dog on a lead.

People pay taxes and lisences and have more rights than our dogs to be in most places minding their own business. They shouldn't have to deal with our animals.

I think the point is . Nobody should have to have our animals interrupt their lives, or impede on them in any way.

Quite agree with you there. If I'd seen him in time I would have put my dog on a lead out of courtesy and I do so as a matter of course near the fishing reservoirs, piers, beaches near little kids or other designated places like that. but this was on a public river walk where he had the cheek to tell me I had no right to be walking my dog. No spotty little oick is getting away with that one. Thing is I wasn't intimidated but imagine had it been a little old lady with her pooch.If you want to fish without being disturbed don't go where people habitually walk their dogs and people don't normally fish and most especially don't tell others they have no right to be there.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

If you want to fish without being disturbed don't go where people habitually walk their dogs and people don't normally fish and most especially don't tell others they have no right to be there.

Agreed.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Fishing is cruel anyway and boring unless you're fishing to catch and eat. I know I wouldn't like to be dragged into the sky by my mouth. where I couldn't breath.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

crazygal;974680 wrote: Fishing is cruel anyway and boring unless you're fishing to catch and eat. I know I wouldn't like to be dragged into the sky by my mouth. where I couldn't breath.Well got to say that I know some very nice people who fish and Ive seen them being very gentle with the fish and put them back safely and have seen no distress caused.Now Im not a fish so cant say if they suffer or not so all I can say is what I have seen.;)
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Carolly;974685 wrote: Well got to say that I know some very nice people who fish and Ive seen them being very gentle with the fish and put them back safely and have seen no distress caused.Now Im not a fish so cant say if they suffer or not so all I can say is what I have seen.;)

Yeah my sons dad is a brilliant fisherman, my uncle too and so was my nan but I still think even though some say they don't have feelings in their mouths that it must be terrifying to be dragged out of the water like that, they struggle after all don't they.

There is though nothing like someone catching a fish and then a little later eating it nice and fresh but fishing for fun I just don't get.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

crazygal;974687 wrote: Yeah my sons dad is a brilliant fisherman, my uncle too and so was my nan but I still think even though some say they don't have feelings in their mouths that it must be terrifying to be dragged out of the water like that, they struggle after all don't they.

There is though nothing like someone catching a fish and then a little later eating it nice and fresh but fishing for fun I just don't get.
I know what you mean about fishing for fun but as long as I dont see anybody being out and out cruel to the fish how daft that may sound I dont have a problem.What I do have a problem with is people who watch chickens and dogs fighting and in distress and getting a kick out of watching them........to me that is sick.

Return to “General Chit Chat”