the wasteland

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Tombstone

the wasteland

Post by Tombstone »

Plazul,

Seeing your postings and what you are interested in, you are missing a lot! Get DirecTV or Dish or Cable.

History Channel, A&E, Discovery Channel, Homes & Garden, The Learning Channel, etc. all have great shows. We don't watch much "alphabet soup" channels anymore.

I do have to say, however, that I like some of the "reality" shows.

1. Survivor.

2. American Idol.

I love the History Channel.

Call me shallow. I'll show you the wading pool in the back of my mind. It's near the snack bar. :D

plazul wrote: I don't have cable or satellite but some times I'm tempted to subscribe just to be able to find something worth watching now and then. I have never been much of a TV watcher, even as a kid, but I did enjoy the old classic comedies, variety shows, and westerns of the Fifties and Sixties when I watched them. Their quality was first rate and many episodes were unforgettable.

Now when I turn on the tube it's mostly incredibly inane sitcoms, violent cop dramas, and low budget reality shows. Some of the dramas have fairly good plot lines and acting but the material is nauseating. Who wants to watch realistic depictions of serial killers, cannibals, and sociopathic rapists? The reality shows are tasteless and repugnant often showing contestants eating insects, animal genitalia, and various and sundry body parts. Do you find that entertaining and what does it say about our culture?

Good writing doesn't seem to matter any more. It's all special effects, gratutitous sex and violence, and obnoxious comedy. But the digital age now makes it possible for talented people to produce their own programming and if I had the ability I'd start a network so that independent contractors could air quality programming for a percentage of my net profits on subscriptions.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Tombstone

the wasteland

Post by Tombstone »

Good to hear. I bet that you'll find at least three of those channels will really ring your bell.

I have DirecTV. Very nice service. I was worried about the ability to receive it since we are near the 48th parallel - but heck - my friends in Alaska get the service. (Go figure.) They must be pointing their dishes at the ground.

:eek:
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
along-for-the-ride

the wasteland

Post by along-for-the-ride »

On Direct TV, you will get the old shows on TV Land, old movies (the real classics): Turner Classics, USA, Sundance, some newer movies that are quite memorable; the Discovery channel which has alot of interesting programs, the Sci-Fi channel where you may get to see The Twilight Zone on occasion and other selections.

Now, you will still have the commercials and the reruns, but it is worth it.

Just make sure you have "a clear view of the southern sky" for you dish. :)

P.S. We still find some interesting programs on PBS once in awhile, too.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “General TV Shows”