Irish Family Names Research

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Karenina wrote: Capt, you're quite sure you've never heard of the Crosbys over there? No infamous criminals or anything? :p

Thanks for trying. :)Oh Yes I did, Crosby family own half of Dublin city in Southern Ireland, linked also to that Irish group U2.
Me Mo

Post by Me Mo »

Deane from the west of Ireland ( Co Mayo ) ( Doo york ) .... Langford England somewhere

Gallagher not 100% sure
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Me Mo wrote: Deane from the west of Ireland ( Co Mayo ) ( Doo york ) .... Langford England somewhere

Gallagher not 100% sureDean (also Deane) Dublin 1901, its actually an English name.Arrived here in 1856 British Crown Forces were based in Birr County Offaly in the midlands of Ireland.

Now Gallagher (also Gallaher) A very common name all over Ireland, the O'Gallaghers were originally in Irish Gaelic O'Gallchobhair meaning ''foreign helper''. He was a descendant of Conall Gulban (who later gave his name as Tir connell) son of a Irish fifteen century King.

The Gallaghers were also noted ecclesiastics, providing many bishops in Ireland.

Me Mo

Post by Me Mo »

Thankyou capt_buzzard
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I'm just wondering how many English -Irish, Scots -Irish and Irish Americans there are on this forum?;)
Shanid

Post by Shanid »

capt_buzzard wrote: I'm just wondering how many English -Irish, Scots -Irish and Irish Americans there are on this forum?;)

Hello CB, I am new to the site and live in the republic of ireland. The names I am interested in knowing more about are Manning and Mulvihil. Manning is spelt 'Ni Mhainin'or 'O' Mhainin' in gaelic, depending on your gender.

Go raibh maith agat

Shanid
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'd love to know more about the surname Rooke - which I'm told derives from O'Rourke.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

My grandmother was a Toole, derived from O'Toole. A distant cousin researched the family history, finding the town of origin and such. I got to glance through it, but she won't share with anyone, as she is afraid they will publish it and take the credit. (That was ten years ago. She's still sitting on it.)

My grandfather was a Plair, which we think may be French? We can't go back beyond him.

My father's family is Stone-Crawford-Dowling.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Ciao, Bella!;540695 wrote: My grandmother was a Toole, derived from O'Toole. A distant cousin researched the family history, finding the town of origin and such. I got to glance through it, but she won't share with anyone, as she is afraid they will publish it and take the credit. (That was ten years ago. She's still sitting on it.)

My grandfather was a Plair, which we think may be French? We can't go back beyond him.

My father's family is Stone-Crawford-Dowling.

Interesting, O'Toole, definetly Irish Leinster name (I knew a girl called Trisha O'Toole, very nice!)

Plair? Not Irish anyway.

Stone-Crawford-Dowling, English, though the last bit Dowling is norman anglo-Irish.

There you go! :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I'm anglo-Irish. We're Mac's who escaped to Ireland after Culloden. Our name has a slightly unusual spelling due to uneducated ancesters who spelled the name wrong in some official document and it just stayed that way! :wah:

Dad was originally from Galway and now both parents are back there and living in retirement. It always amazes me how many rellies I have and don't know about. Mum will say "Oh John Joe Paddy died today, he was your dad's cousin and related to Mary O'Reilly's cousin Ciarin." Why do I never know these people exist until they die? I think every Irish person must be related to every other Irish person! Top o' the mornin' to ye, cousin Galbally! :wah:
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Thanx, Galbally!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Rick's last name is McMullen. He said his dad learned that it used to be McMillen...back in the old country. Somehow it got changed here.
the highlander

Post by the highlander »

libertine;19544 wrote: Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland! ;)

my grandmother married a carnahan
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Both parents are from Co. Donegal...dad's from Gweedore and mom is from the Rosses.

Dad's family names are: Mc Fadden, Ferry, Gallagher

Mom's family names are: Ward and O'Donnell
libertine

Post by libertine »

the highlander;783068 wrote: my grandmother married a carnahan

And his name was...?

"my" Carnahans settled in Allegheny County, PA, for the most part, then journeyed west.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Dad.....Andrews

Mum.....Brown

Mum in law.....Kennedy

Dad in law.....Nagle

Hubby no 2.....Ross
FOC THREAD PART 1
the highlander

Post by the highlander »

libertine;783173 wrote: And his name was...?

"my" Carnahans settled in Allegheny County, PA, for the most part, then journeyed west.

manning carnahan
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

We are thinking about visiting Ireland next Aug. 08

All I know is my husbands maternal grandparents were both from County Donegal.

Buchanan & Gillespie - any help would be helpful

Walsh I know is from Southern Ireland, but from what I hear it's a big name in Ireland.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

whoops, got distracted. Fagen is my husbands paternal grandfathers name.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

My mother's maiden name is Flaherty.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
sugarpuff

Re: Irish Family Names Research

Post by sugarpuff »

My Grandfather was an O"Donnell ,
He had a very thick Irish brogue .
It was sad I never could understand him when he spoke . I was 12 when he passed away .
My dream is to visit Ireland one day .

Return to “Ireland”