The American NFL Game in Wembley

Discuss all types of sports.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

This is interesting, the Miami Dolphins are playing the New York Giants in Wembley Stadium in London, England this weekend. Now I have actually heard the names of these 2 teams mentioned in the past so they must be big (right?) and this is actually a competetive match in the American football league. The match has been sold out, which shows that there is still a large hard-core base of this sport in Britain. Now of course like most men on this side of the atlantic "soccer" (or just unhyphenated football) is my game. But obviously Americans are hugely passionate about this game, and friends who have spent time in America say that the game is not as crap as we generally believe as when you get into it you realize that the players have a lot of skill and power, (especially the guys who throw the long balls and the lads who catch them and score touch downs) its very tactical and strategic, and its staged in a very spectacular fashion. I don't really get it, but quite a few people in Britain seem to enjoy it, so do people think that the sport might catch on at least in a limited way in Europe??

Oh and what does the quarterback do? Is he like a fly half in rugby? And what do you call the lads who try to catch the ball and score touchdowns?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

The Miami Dolphins.

:yh_rotfl ahem.

Sorry.

The quarterback throws the ball.

The ones who try to catch are receivers.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I will.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Anyone with the ball can make a touchdown, I call them a "football player."

:D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

JacksDad;713396 wrote: The Miami Dolphins.

:yh_rotfl ahem.

Sorry.

The quarterback throws the ball.

The ones who try to catch are receivers.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I will.

Why are the Miami Dolphins funny? Are they crap or something? So the quarterback throws the reciever catches, and the guys that crash into each other and grunt a lot, they are blockers aren't they? Are there any other types of players?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;713421 wrote: Why are the Miami Dolphins funny? Are they crap or something? So the quarterback throws the reciever catches, and the guys that crash into each other and grunt a lot, they are blockers aren't they? Are there any other types of players?

I don't know anything about rugby so it would be hard for me to tell you the similarities as well as the differences between players affiliated with each sport without looking up the technical definitions pertaining to each position in rugby, so I'll try and explain to you as best I can given my lack of knowledge in rugby...

After reading the description of a Fly-Half I would have to say that yes you can compare the quarterback in American Football with a Fly-Half quite closely with a few regards...One being that the quarterback in American Football will almost never kick the ball(with the exception of a poochkick but you really don't need to know about that as of yet) and as of late within the history of the position of quarterback in American Football the dynamics of the "Pocket Passer" type quarterback are being changed in some instances in the involvement of the more agile, faster, more elusive style of quarterback strictly emphasizing on confusing the defense even more so with the always present threat of them taking the initiative and running the ball themselves(Something the runningback is more vigorously used for)...

Also I would have to say that another key difference between the two positions is that the Fly-Half is not expected to throw the ball forward...And the most obvious similarity between the two positions is them being the managers of the game in all retrospect...

Return to “Wide World of Sports”