Knighthoods

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

What are your thoughts about Knighthoods etc. Ive been listening to the News and a list of names have been read out.Im sorry but I cant get my head round the fact that people are getting these "awards" for doing a job of work that not only they love but are earning money for that most of us can only dream about.Yes Kylie is a good little performer.......but an OBE????These awards .....I feel should ONLY be going to people that do so much for others but without being paid millions to do so......theres so many heros out there...........why are they not getting these "awards"..........sorry but I just feel its so wrong.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
AussiePam

Knighthoods

Post by AussiePam »

Totally in agreement, Carol. All the big fat old rich businessmen get gongs for being big fat old rich businessmen, and preferably political party supporters - and just to show this is all above board the powers that be throw in one token female, black, immigrant, quadriplegic environmentalist buddhist nun who teaches islamic studies to lesbian unmarried mothers... yeah

Disclaimer: The above opinion is not necessarily the opinion of the writer, and is not in any way to be construed as relating to any actual cases real or imaginary pertaining to the awarding of honours to any person past present or future, real or nightmarish, alien or of inanimate extraction - whatsoever.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;749282 wrote: Totally in agreement, Carol. All the big fat old rich businessmen get gongs for being big fat old rich businessmen, and preferably political party supporters - and just to show this is all above board the powers that be throw in one token female, black, immigrant, quadriplegic environmentalist buddhist nun who teaches islamic studies to lesbian unmarried mothers... yeah

Disclaimer: The above opinion is not necessarily the opinion of the writer, and is not in any way to be construed as relating to any actual cases real or imaginary pertaining to the awarding of honours to any person past present or future, real or nightmarish, alien or of inanimate extraction - whatsoever.
Pam theres a snooker player as well fgs...... what the hell is going on...........let me show them people that TRUELY deserve an award.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
abbey

Knighthoods

Post by abbey »

Absolutely agree Carol, although I was really proud of our Giggsy when he got an OBE. :-4
suzycreamcheese

Knighthoods

Post by suzycreamcheese »

I think its stupid. Just pick out a bunch of people whove managed to keep famous for a while. It means nothing to me.

Im more impressed with the list of people who have refused it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... ish_honour
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

abbey;749287 wrote: Absolutely agree Carol, although I was really proud of our Giggsy when he got an OBE. :-4Oi why arnt you at "home"........Kaz will be missing you:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl;)
abbey

Knighthoods

Post by abbey »

Carolly;749296 wrote: Oi why arnt you at "home"........Kaz will be missing you:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl;):wah: Sod off!
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

abbey;749297 wrote: :wah: Sod off!
Excuse me friend everybody but she gets withdrawel symptoms...........now this is a serious thread Abbs fgs behave:rolleyes:;)
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

suzycreamcheese;749293 wrote: I think its stupid. Just pick out a bunch of people whove managed to keep famous for a while. It means nothing to me.

Im more impressed with the list of people who have refused it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... honourSuzy thankyou so much for that list..........I found it so interesting.Good on those people thats what I say.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

Well if that lot can...............why aint I had a knighthood for putting up with Gill............thats what I want to know!!:rolleyes:;)
lemon_and_mint

Knighthoods

Post by lemon_and_mint »

I know a lot of people who have done a lot to chandethe lives of other people and make a difference to their lives - not because they were paid to do it, but because they wanted to do it, and this in any spare time they had on top of their working day.

They wouldn't necessarily want to be given an award for it though, they do it anonymously, and there;s the problem.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

lemon_and_mint;749393 wrote: I know a lot of people who have done a lot to chandethe lives of other people and make a difference to their lives - not because they were paid to do it, but because they wanted to do it, and this in any spare time they had on top of their working day.

They wouldn't necessarily want to be given an award for it though, they do it anonymously, and there;s the problem.I agree totally.......oh sometimes things are so unfair and we just take it.Oh this is one subject that really pees me off I can tell you.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Knighthoods

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Carolly;749278 wrote: What are your thoughts about Knighthoods etc. Ive been listening to the News and a list of names have been read out.Im sorry but I cant get my head round the fact that people are getting these "awards" for doing a job of work that not only they love but are earning money for that most of us can only dream about.Yes Kylie is a good little performer.......but an OBE????These awards .....I feel should ONLY be going to people that do so much for others but without being paid millions to do so......theres so many heros out there...........why are they not getting these "awards"..........sorry but I just feel its so wrong.

I agree, i'd much rather see a Dinner lady who'd had the same job for 40 years be given something or a Lollypop person . Over paid 'stars' enjoy enough luxury already.:-5
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;749405 wrote: I agree, i'd much rather see a Dinner lady who'd had the same job for 40 years be given something or a Lollypop person . Over paid 'stars' enjoy enough luxury already.:-5
I agree 101% with those comments Pants.
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;749421 wrote: I agree 101% with those comments Pants.

I was a dinner lady once:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Knighthoods

kazalala;749438 wrote: I was a dinner lady once:thinking:

Me too ::o:o

Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;749438 wrote: I was a dinner lady once:thinking:
Oh here we go.............well Lady bleedin Kaz..............hard luck sweetcheeks!!!:wah::wah::rolleyes:;):p
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;749439 wrote: Me too ::o:o

I always used to make the custard last minute,, the best custard.... then we got a new cook who didnt want me to make it and her custard was crap! I was telling all the kids as they came past that i didnt make it:wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;749439 wrote: Me too ::o:o
Well I make dinner at home.............does that count???:rolleyes::thinking::)
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Knighthoods

kazalala;749442 wrote: I always used to make the custard last minute,, the best custard.... then we got a new cook who didnt want me to make it and her custard was crap! I was telling all the kids as they came past that i didnt make it:wah::wah:

We didn't cook it, just served it . The kids were only diddy (under Fives ) :-6

Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;749442 wrote: I always used to make the custard last minute,, the best custard.... then we got a new cook who didnt want me to make it and her custard was crap! I was telling all the kids as they came past that i didnt make it:wah::wah:............I cant believe this...........OI!!!!!!THIS IS A POSH THREAD FFS..........IM TALKING ABOUT POXY KNIGHTHOODS NOT HOW TO MAKE BLEEDIN CUSTARD:-5Oh Im going for a lay down...........this is all to much:o.......oh the shame...........:confused:
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;749448 wrote: ............I cant believe this...........OI!!!!!!THIS IS A POSH THREAD FFS..........IM TALKING ABOUT POXY KNIGHTHOODS NOT HOW TO MAKE BLEEDIN CUSTARD:-5Oh Im going for a lay down...........this is all to much:o.......oh the shame...........:confused:

Sorry:oI forgot you were easily confused:p

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;749452 wrote: Sorry:oI forgot you were easily confused:p

Kaz dear.........Im trying to let these lovely people know how educated I am....so I thought I would put up a real posh thread.............you then decide to turn it into Cooks making poxy custard...........now they dont realise how smart I am really..............Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh......Im going away to have a sulk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:driving::p
lemon_and_mint

Knighthoods

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Aha, but did you think, maybe she was trying to continue the posh theme, by talking about custard?

In the best restaurants, custard is known as "creme anglaise", hows that for posh.???

I expect it was just that she couldnt remember the name.

Lemon crossed her fingers behind her back and waits for peace to be restored........:)
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

ok well i used to make the best "creme anglaise", :D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Chezzie

Knighthoods

Post by Chezzie »

kazalala;749472 wrote: ok well i used to make the best "creme anglaise", :D

Hows yer home made rice pudding, can you get a good skin on it?:D:D:D

oh yeah I agree Carolly, the rich getting richer as usual:(
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

lemon_and_mint;749464 wrote: Aha, but did you think, maybe she was trying to continue the posh theme, by talking about custard?

In the best restaurants, custard is known as "creme anglaise", hows that for posh.???

I expect it was just that she couldnt remember the name.

Lemon crossed her fingers behind her back and waits for peace to be restored........:)
DONT YOU BLEEDIN START LEMONY!!!!!GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Bet Fanny Cradock bunged you a few quid to say that!!!!!:-5:mad::rolleyes::p
Nomad

Knighthoods

Post by Nomad »

Many think I should be knighted. Knight Nomad. Then again many more think I should be doused in gasoline and set on fire.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;749474 wrote: Hows yer home made rice pudding, can you get a good skin on it?:D:D:D

Its fantastic of course Chezzie, and if you want a good skin on it i can do that:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;749474 wrote: Hows yer home made rice pudding, can you get a good skin on it?

RIGHT IM GOING OUT NOW............BUT...........YOU LOT ARE IN BIGGGGGGGGG TROUBLE.SOOOOO BE VERYYYYYY WORRIED!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::sneaky::mad:
Chezzie

Knighthoods

Post by Chezzie »

not alot of people know this but I myself married a Knight.......I am a Knight and my two daughters are Knights........No hoods though:thinking::thinking::thinking:
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;749479 wrote: RIGHT IM GOING OUT NOW............BUT...........YOU LOT ARE IN BIGGGGGGGGG TROUBLE.SOOOOO BE VERYYYYYY WORRIED!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::sneaky::mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;749480 wrote: not alot of people know this but I myself married a Knight.......I am a Knight and my two daughters are Knights........No hoods though:thinking::thinking::thinking:

OMG!!!!!!!! we are twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;749478 wrote: Its fantastic of course Chezzie, and if you want a good skin on it i can do that:D:-5:-5:-5:-5YER DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:p
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;749482 wrote: OMG!!!!!!!! we are twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FFS.....THATS ALL WE NEED....BLEEDIN 2 OF EM:-5:-5:thinking::driving:
Chezzie

Knighthoods

Post by Chezzie »

Carolly;749485 wrote: FFS.....THATS ALL WE NEED....BLEEDIN 2 OF EM:-5:-5:thinking:

How lucky do you feel right now.......Surely your blessed CAROLLY, who needs a Knighthood when you got the KnightSisterHood:wah::wah::wah:
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;749488 wrote: How lucky do you feel right now.......Surely your blessed CAROLLY, who needs a Knighthood when you got the KnightSisterHood:wah::wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Chezzie

Knighthoods

Post by Chezzie »

kazalala;749490 wrote:

god I look in Lycra:D:D:D
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;749564 wrote: god I look in Lycra:D

You look in Lycra:confused:how strange:-3:wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Richard Bell

Knighthoods

Post by Richard Bell »

Carolly;749278 wrote: What are your thoughts about Knighthoods etc. Ive been listening to the News and a list of names have been read out.

Same thing over here, but it's for the Order Of Canada, which, of course doesn't bestow the title of "Sir" or "Lady", but other than that , it's a similar honour, and a big deal.

This year's inductees include Madame Justice Louise Arbour, a judge who presided over the Bosnian war crimes trials and currently sits as a judge on the United Nations Human Rights Commission, and Walter Gretzky. Here's CTV News' description of Walter's claim to fame :

Walter Gretzky, best known for fathering the NHL's all-time leading scorer and producing the famous backyard rink upon which Wayne Gretzky learned to skate, was named for his work with various charities.

Now, old Walt is a nice guy, but I couldn't tell you a single charity connected with him. He's famous for being Wayne's dad, and for recovering from a near fatal heart attack.

Hell, if my son was a a bazillionaire and kept his old man in $$$, I'd find some time to endorse a charity or two myself.

On the other end of the scale is Madame Arbour, who has truly made this world a better place.

Having said that, guess who's photo ran atop the news article?
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

Richard Bell;749616 wrote: Same thing over here, but it's for the Order Of Canada, which, of course doesn't bestow the title of "Sir" or "Lady", but other than that , it's a similar honour, and a big deal.

This year's inductees include Madame Justice Louise Arbour, a judge who presided over the Bosnian war crimes trials and currently sits as a judge on the United Nations Human Rights Commission, and Walter Gretzky. Here's CTV News' description of Walter's claim to fame :

Now, old Walt is a nice guy, but I couldn't tell you a single charity connected with him. He's famous for being Wayne's dad, and for recovering from a near fatal heart attack.

Hell, if my son was a a bazillionaire and kept his old man in $$$, I'd find some time to endorse a charity or two myself.

On the other end of the scale is Madame Arbour, who has truly made this world a better place.

Having said that, guess who's photo ran atop the news article?Richard thankyou for your time telling us that and the unfairness over these so called awards is..............well quick honestly words fail me for once...............I just want people who TRUELY deserve praise to be recognised and not ones that happen to do a job that they are getting millions of pounds to do and wouldnt know what a decent days work feels like.
twizzel

Knighthoods

Post by twizzel »

Carolly;749278 wrote: What are your thoughts about Knighthoods etc. Ive been listening to the News and a list of names have been read out.Im sorry but I cant get my head round the fact that people are getting these "awards" for doing a job of work that not only they love but are earning money for that most of us can only dream about.Yes Kylie is a good little performer.......but an OBE????These awards .....I feel should ONLY be going to people that do so much for others but without being paid millions to do so......theres so many heros out there...........why are they not getting these "awards"..........sorry but I just feel its so wrong. We come back to its not what you know or do but who you know. The honours system has long ago lost the plot, these honours mean nothing more than you are rich and famous so you are a person who we want to honour. These modern recipients are a disgace to all those who have risked life and limb for this countries freedom throughout history.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

twizzel;749686 wrote: We come back to its not what you know or do but who you know. The honours system has long ago lost the plot, these honours mean nothing more than you are rich and famous so you are a person who we want to honour. These modern recipients are a disgace to all those who have risked life and limb for this countries freedom throughout history.You are saying things that I nearly did to be honest.I mean......Sir Cliff Richards............dont get me wrong as a singer I think his ok......but why the hell make him a Sir........he sings.......gets paid big time.............so what is the big deal.Something should be done about this crap I tell you.
lemon_and_mint

Knighthoods

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Just saw Michael Parkinson on the news talking about being made a knight, he didn't seem to be taking it too seriously, was happier for his grandchildren, the mystery knowing their grandad was a knight would hold for them.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

lemon_and_mint;749699 wrote: Just saw Michael Parkinson on the news talking about being made a knight, he didn't seem to be taking it too seriously, was happier for his grandchildren, the mystery knowing their grandad was a knight would hold for them.Lemony.....Im sorry but its bloody wrong......it really is.
lemon_and_mint

Knighthoods

Post by lemon_and_mint »

Carolly;749705 wrote: Lemony.....Im sorry but its bloody wrong......it really is.

i agree with you.

I wonder though whether it is more to do with the fans of these people being happy that their favourite tv star got an award?

Always assuming that the start doesnt have a say in it, i mean that he doesnt ask for it, then best not to take it too seriously.

I am trying to remember if any of them have actually refused the award, i think some have.
Carolly

Knighthoods

Post by Carolly »

lemon_and_mint;749708 wrote: i agree with you.

I wonder though whether it is more to do with the fans of these people being happy that their favourite tv star got an award?

Always assuming that the start doesnt have a say in it, i mean that he doesnt ask for it, then best not to take it too seriously.

I am trying to remember if any of them have actually refused the award, i think some have.Theres a link on one of these messages that tells you who have refused their awards............look at it as its very interesting.
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

lemon_and_mint;749708 wrote: i agree with you.

I am trying to remember if any of them have actually refused the award, i think some have.

It should be taken seriously though should'nt it?:thinking::-3

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
lemon_and_mint

Knighthoods

Post by lemon_and_mint »

kazalala;749759 wrote: It should be taken seriously though should'nt it?:thinking::-3

i wonder if they can though. i wonder about given an honourary degree from a university - nice, but not like the students who actually studied for years for it.
kazalala

Knighthoods

Post by kazalala »

lemon_and_mint;749776 wrote: i wonder if they can though. i wonder about given an honourary degree from a university - nice, but not like the students who actually studied for years for it.

Exactly, you should actually earn it:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “General Chit Chat”