Vick's Dogs to Probably Die

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

The attached photo is one of the dogs found with what looks like fighting wounds. They're not going to rehab these dogs. They'll just kill them. Without even trying to rehome them. :mad:

August 1, 2007

Government Makes a Case, and Holds Dogs as Evidence

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT

SURRY, Va., July 31 — More than 60 dogs seized from Michael Vick’s property have been sheltered here and in kennels across several counties in southeastern Virginia since April.

The dogs’ fate has been undecided while the government investigates a suspected dogfighting ring that federal prosecutors say was run from the property. The dogs are considered evidence and, eventually, will probably be euthanized.

“Officials from our organization have examined some of these dogs and, generally speaking, they are some of the most aggressively trained pit bulls in the country,” Wayne Pacelle, the president and chief executive of the Humane Society of the United States, said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “Hundreds of thousands of less-violent pit bulls, who are better candidates to be rehabilitated, are being put down. The fate of these dogs will be up to the government, but we have recommended to them, and believe, they will be eventually put down.”

Pacelle said the Humane Society normally advocated that fighting dogs be put down shortly after being seized.

“Four months is a long time, a long time to be warehoused,” he said. “They may be walked only once a day, if that. We don’t know how well they are being kept. They are likely being held in cages for months on end.”

But Pacelle said his organization supported the government’s efforts. “It is lose-lose for the dogs,” he said. “They either die a gruesome death as a dogfighter in action, or they will be killed because they are not adoptable.”

A spokeswoman at the United States attorney’s office in Richmond described the dogs as part of the investigation and would not discuss the government’s plans for them.

Vick, 27, and three others — Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Va.; Purnell A. Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach; and Quanis L. Phillips, 28, of Atlanta — pleaded not guilty last week to charges related to a dogfighting operation that the authorities said was called Bad Newz Kennels.

On Monday, Taylor pleaded guilty and agreed to help prosecutors make their case. He signed a 13-page statement confirming much of what the government stated when it indicted the four men July 17. The 18-page indictment uses graphic detail in describing the animal cruelty the men are accused of. It states that during a search of Vick’s property in Surry County in April, 54 pit bulls were recovered, along with a so-called rape stand used to hold dogs for mating, and a treadmill modified for dogs.

More charges are expected in the case, and a trial has been scheduled for November. Vick, the star quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons, has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League.

Tyrone W. Franklin, the county administrator for rural Surry County, had to sort out where the dogs were placed.

Twelve of them went to the small Surry Animal Control Pound, which is less than 10 miles from Vick’s property, down a gravel road behind acres of trees. Franklin sought help from surrounding counties and shelters to take the other dogs.

The commonwealth attorney for Surry County, Gerald G. Poindexter, initially took control of the animals and had them kept alive as part of a local investigation into the dogfighting. In June, the federal government served a warrant to the county to seize control of the dogs. Surry County taxpayers had been expected to pay up to $25,000 for the dogs’ care throughout the case, according to a report in May by The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va.

Franklin said dogs normally remained in the county’s pound up to 14 days. “They are either adopted or euthanized by then,” he said.

The dogs have remained in those locations while the local and federal investigations have continued. No one from the public is permitted to see them, said James Smith, the county’s animal control officer.

On Tuesday, the dogs were yelping from within the pound while Smith sat in his truck with a shotgun next to him. He said he did not know what would become of the animals.

“They are in good shape,” he said. “They are not violent to humans.”

Attached files
minks

Post by minks »

almostfamous;672584 wrote: That is infuriating!!!!! :mad:

I say adopt the dogs, euthinize the dog fight promoters.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

minks;672599 wrote: I say adopt the dogs, euthinize the dog fight promoters.

I'm with YOU sista....my kids told me about this...and they know how I feel about this subject...dogs are innocent people darnitt!!!!!:-4:-4:-4
Nuthrday

Post by Nuthrday »

minks;672599 wrote: I say adopt the dogs, euthinize the dog fight promoters.

Absolutely agree, Minks. That dog looks so traumatized...it's so sad, but you see that all the time in the pounds.

Almost four months ago I decided our older dog needed help with the varmint population on our piece of property. Someone told me to get a pit bull and I balked with everything I had. But it made sense that they're descended from terriers and would be good hunters. I balked and balked, but at the same time I read and, guess what? I found more people who had owned them or had known the dogs, and every last person said they're wonderful with people. The women at the Humane Society said so too. So I went to look, since they're all over the place. I asked for a female and they had one. I walked her several times around all the other dogs and so many of them tried to attack her through the fences but she just sniffed and moved on. She had been there six weeks! She was quiet and depressed, only got up off the concrete when I opened her cage with a leash in hand. I brought her home against my family's wishes, and I have never enjoyed a dog as much, and we've owned a few. She's a pistol, high gear most of the time, a clown, an absolute dear, loves everybody and all the animals here. She is the quintessential pit bull, and yes, has become a good rodent hunter. I think she's beautiful too! I hope she always stays like she is. Love that dog!

Attached files
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I wouldent adopt one of these dogs, sorry but its just not worth the risk. I should imagine the reason most are put down is because only a very small number of people would be prepared to adopt this breed let alone an ex fighter.

Next comment is not necessarily at Red, its to everyone.

If you can answer truly that you would adopt one, what are you waiting for?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

buttercup;672821 wrote: I wouldent adopt one of these dogs, sorry but its just not worth the risk. I should imagine the reason most are put down is because only a very small number of people would be prepared to adopt this breed let alone an ex fighter.

For me, it's because I already have a total of 11 dogs. When these guys move out this month, I will still have the allowable limit of 4.

Down the road, I would not hesitate to take in one of these abused pits. Most likely it would be my only pet because although I'm not worried about human aggression, I would be very concerned about any aggression toward other animals. I would also not have this dog around small kids or babies because kids don't know all the ways they can set off a dog and there is a theory that babies and very small children squeal and make noises that are reminiscent to dogs as that of prey.

Adopting an abused pit (or any dog really) is not for just anyone so I wouldn't fault a person for not doing it. It takes a person with a special understanding of what they're getting into and a willingness to make some sacrifices.

What you say is true about not enough people being willing to adopt these dogs, and a good majority of dogs go down because animal control/rescuers don't want the liability if something happens so they label the dog a big risk so people will be more accepting of its being killed.
minks

Post by minks »

Nuthrday;672746 wrote: Absolutely agree, Minks. That dog looks so traumatized...it's so sad, but you see that all the time in the pounds.

Almost four months ago I decided our older dog needed help with the varmint population on our piece of property. Someone told me to get a pit bull and I balked with everything I had. But it made sense that they're descended from terriers and would be good hunters. I balked and balked, but at the same time I read and, guess what? I found more people who had owned them or had known the dogs, and every last person said they're wonderful with people. The women at the Humane Society said so too. So I went to look, since they're all over the place. I asked for a female and they had one. I walked her several times around all the other dogs and so many of them tried to attack her through the fences but she just sniffed and moved on. She had been there six weeks! She was quiet and depressed, only got up off the concrete when I opened her cage with a leash in hand. I brought her home against my family's wishes, and I have never enjoyed a dog as much, and we've owned a few. She's a pistol, high gear most of the time, a clown, an absolute dear, loves everybody and all the animals here. She is the quintessential pit bull, and yes, has become a good rodent hunter. I think she's beautiful too! I hope she always stays like she is. Love that dog!

That is a glorious story and what a sweet looking dog thanks for sharing.

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

buttercup;672821 wrote: I wouldent adopt one of these dogs, sorry but its just not worth the risk. I should imagine the reason most are put down is because only a very small number of people would be prepared to adopt this breed let alone an ex fighter.

I would adopt one but I own a rather aggresive male eski and I worry about how they would get along. (mind you the cat is a bit of a rabble rouser too) :)

If I did not have the 2 pets I already have I would go for it. I have adopted all my past pets from the humane society. All have been great companions. It takes time, and love and patience.

― Mae West
Nuthrday

Post by Nuthrday »

Yes, of all the dogs we've owned, only one has been sought out and bought from a breeder. The others were strays or pound puppies. And ALL the cats are such. Many Pit bull owners are the worst thing about the breed, undoubtedly. They take a dog who adores its owner and teach it awful things through inhumane means. A pox on them, seriously. Vick had better get sumpin' real good for his part in perpetuating these things.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Nuthrday;672746 wrote: Absolutely agree, Minks. That dog looks so traumatized...it's so sad, but you see that all the time in the pounds.

She is beautiful...I rescued a part pit bull and have been a fan of them ever since....they are sweet dogs...it's the owners that need to be hung!!
Nuthrday

Post by Nuthrday »

I don't think I'd ever known anyone with a pitty, and I don't remember ever hearing anyone talk about one first hand either, before adopting one, but even so, I went into the deal with a prejudiced mind. Someone I know online encouraged me to get one. I have to say that I took her for several walks, always near other dogs, and the cats at the pound too. She was only mildly interested in all of it, but was very very interested in sniffing the ground and following trails, which is exactly what I wanted her for. They ARE stubborn critters, and even tho she's quite the smartest dog we've owned, she will just stare up at me with those doggy eyes when I tell her to get down, or back out of the kitchen. That's when you the owner has to MAKE your pit bull behave; otherwise they'll be all over you all the time. This one would love to be a lap dog, but at 50 pounds it's a bit much. They're very amusing dogs to have around, just funny! But they're very strong willed and so, not for the timid owner. I was lucky to adopt one that had had some very good beginning training. I still wonder how she ended up in the pound. Thanks for "listening", folks. I haven't even had her four months yet, but so far, she's a great dog.
minks

Post by minks »

Pets are all a result of the way they are cared for. Any dog can turn against anyone if provoked enough, ignored, maltreated. I don't like the fact that we have this big bad evil fear of rotties, pittys, and dobies. It makes no sense. A dog of course has it's basic instinct but as respponsible owners we should be working to raise a dog that obeys and fits in as a PET not a killer. So many domestic dog breeds have been refined since the stone age that that "killer instinct" is no longer a primary instinct. A domestic dog lives to please his owner so if the owner raises it to be vicious the dog is doing what is asked of it.

Again I go back to my own dog, we had to put him into puppy training when we got him because he is NOT a social breed, they are specifically raised as guard dogs. He got along well with the others after the first few trial scraps. But during the family break up, we (my girls and I) became rather reclusive, the dog picked up on this and swung back into his antisocial tendancies. We had a neighbor who tormented our dog through our kitchen window by poking the glass to make the dog bark and snarl. Now we have a dog who isn't all that friendly and I have to let people know when they meet him exactly how to approach him. I could never ever allow a child to run up to him and hug him. It's all about owner responsibility.

― Mae West

Return to “Crimes Trials”