Problems With Luggage

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

Guess we all have baggage sometimes :o

I have to travel (on the underground in London!) with a large box. It is about 30"x40" and 6" deep. It currently does not have wheels.

I have constructed a pathetic little trolley to wheel it on but it is going to extend 30" out as I can't wheel it around blocking all the passageways and sidewalks.

Aside from telling me not to do this thing, how would you transport the box through the underground and two different trains to get to the airport?
Carl44

Problems With Luggage

Post by Carl44 »

koan;623527 wrote: Guess we all have baggage sometimes :o

I have to travel (on the underground in London!) with a large box. It is about 30"x40" and 6" deep. It currently does not have wheels.

I have constructed a pathetic little trolley to wheel it on but it is going to extend 30" out as I can't wheel it around blocking all the passageways and sidewalks.

Aside from telling me not to do this thing, how would you transport the box through the underground and two different trains to get to the airport?

if its not too heavy just carry it ,if it is make spot do it :D :D
chonsigirl

Problems With Luggage

Post by chonsigirl »

Can you take a taxi to the airport?
anotherlisa

Problems With Luggage

Post by anotherlisa »

Can you ship the box ahead to your destination? And/or repack the contents of the box into a suitcase with wheels?

Also, are there any private bus lines which go to the airport in London? Sometimes when I've had too much to carry for the subway, but didn't have the money for a taxi, I've opted for the buses to to the Newark/LaGuardia. I know in NY, they run out of places like Port Authority & have other stops. And I took a bus like that in Toronto once. They have cargo space below, as well as the overhead racks. So it's easier to transport the luggage than it would be on public transit, but cheaper than a taxi.

The airport's website should have a section on the website with Ground Transportation information for transit, coaches, etc.
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

chonsigirl;623530 wrote: Can you take a taxi to the airport?

We are taking one to the bus station... that's about all we planned on doing for comfortable travel. I do not know why.

jimbo, I am making spot carry it. There is a horribly heavy suitcase too but I'd rather deal with that than the nightmare box.
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

anotherlisa;623536 wrote: Can you ship the box ahead to your destination? And/or repack the contents of the box into a suitcase with wheels?

Nope. Overseas it would cost a fortune.

eta: and it has my painted canvases - too big for a suitcase
Carl44

Problems With Luggage

Post by Carl44 »

you can buy those really cheap wheel things that just fit to the bottom of the box ,if that fails just get spot a pair of heeley's and just push them both :wah: :wah:
chonsigirl

Problems With Luggage

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you want your canvases with you at all times. I am sure there must be some kind of trolley thingee you can get, to pull it along with you. What will you do with it on the plane? Surely it will not go with the other luggage? :-2
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

jimbo;623540 wrote: you can buy those really cheap wheel things that just fit to the bottom of the box ,if that fails just get spot a pair of heeley's and just push them both :wah: :wah:
I've got the best comic image of that in my head now.

chonsigirl;623542 wrote: Oh, you want your canvases with you at all times. I am sure there must be some kind of trolley thingee you can get, to pull it along with you. What will you do with it on the plane? Surely it will not go with the other luggage? :-2

unfortunately I'm putting it in with everything else but the box is packed really well with styrofoam and my housecoat for extra padding. The wood frames are fairly sturdy.
anotherlisa

Problems With Luggage

Post by anotherlisa »

I was going to post a link to Heathrow's ground transport, but I haven't been posting often enough to link. If you go to Heathrow's site (or that of another airport, if you're flying out of somewhere else), click on To/from airport, and then by train/bus. It lists bus coach services as well as well as local bus/Underground options. If you click on coach, it has links to 2 of the providers with schedules, fares, etc.
chonsigirl

Problems With Luggage

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, good luck, koan. When I came back with all my research one trip, in a big wheeled piece of luggage, I kept it on board. One connection was late through Vegas, and I was hurrying to keep my treasure with me while running for the plane. That was pre-9/11 though, I think they would make me put it below.

Hmm, I have to take my dress for my daughter's wedding with me in August, surely they will let me take a garment bag onboard? I would not trust it below!
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

anotherlisa;623549 wrote: I was going to post a link to Heathrow's ground transport, but I haven't been posting often enough to link. If you go to Heathrow's site (or that of another airport, if you're flying out of somewhere else), click on To/from airport, and then by train/bus. It lists bus coach services as well as well as local bus/Underground options. If you click on coach, it has links to 2 of the providers with schedules, fares, etc.
I'm leaving from Gatwick. I so don't understand the train system out here but I'll look into any other ways to get away from the underground part of the journey. Even a cab from one train sta to the next would be preferable. It's only a £5 part of the journey but it's the part I'm afraid of most.

chonsigirl;623551 wrote: Oh, good luck, koan. When I came back with all my research one trip, in a big wheeled piece of luggage, I kept it on board. One connection was late through Vegas, and I was hurrying to keep my treasure with me while running for the plane. That was pre-9/11 though, I think they would make me put it below.

Hmm, I have to take my dress for my daughter's wedding with me in August, surely they will let me take a garment bag onboard? I would not trust it below!

I recall that most airlines have special allowance for wedding dresses. They don't charge you for taking them either.
SuzyB

Problems With Luggage

Post by SuzyB »

Cabs will be a fortune :mad: Best thing would probably be a coach to the airport, have you checked a price for that?
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

anotherlisa

Problems With Luggage

Post by anotherlisa »

Garment bags should be ok as carry on as long as they met the size dimensions. If you double check with the airline, they should be able to confirm it.

ETA: Koan, Gatwick has the same set up on its website for coaches. Since I haven't been posting long, I have to break up the URL www gatwickairport com as it won't let me post links

Once you're there, click on to/from airport

Then click on by train or bus

Then you can click on coaches and various other travel options
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

SuzyB;623558 wrote: Cabs will be a fortune :mad: Best thing would probably be a coach to the airport, have you checked a price for that?

we've already paid for a series of tickets on this wonderful train system y'all have going here. :-5
cars

Problems With Luggage

Post by cars »

koan;623538 wrote: We are taking one to the bus station... that's about all we planned on doing for comfortable travel. I do not know why.

jimbo, I am making spot carry it. There is a horribly heavy suitcase too but I'd rather deal with that than the nightmare box.

Watch out for that heavy suitcase at the airport! :wah: We bought too many souveneirs, clothes, shoes, etc, during our trip. We started trip with 3 suitcases. But because we now had so much new stuff, we could never begin to fit it all into the existing suitcases! So I went out & bought the biggest behemoth suitcase I could find. We had no problem getting all our new stuff in this case! The problem came at the airport checkin! They weighed the case & it was way, way over weight for them to accept! We had to then open the new case at the airport, & remove many items from this new case, & redistribute those items bewteen the remaining 3 "lighter" cases! So. . . . . . :-2

PS: airport allowed cases to weigh "50"lbs max. Our was 66lbs)
Cars :)
SuzyB

Problems With Luggage

Post by SuzyB »

koan;623562 wrote: we've already paid for a series of tickets on this wonderful train system y'all have going here. :-5

I think you'll find if you make up some credible excuse they will refund the tickets if you give them notice, :-6

koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

or I could make sure I have lots of batteries, an empty memory card and my digital camera strapped around my neck.

(jimbo... a joke about batteries and strap ons is not welcome here)
SuzyB

Problems With Luggage

Post by SuzyB »

koan;623570 wrote: or I could make sure I have lots of batteries, an empty memory card and my digital camera strapped around my neck.

(jimbo... a joke about batteries and strap ons is not welcome here)

Ohhhhh, spoil sport, :p

Rapunzel

Problems With Luggage

Post by Rapunzel »

Would it be possible to detach the canvases from the frames and roll them up into protective tubes for transportation? You could buy new frames and have them professionally reattached once you reach your final destination.

Chonsi's dress bag may have to be made of clear plastic but the stewardesses can usually hang them in their own seating area. It's wise to check first though.
koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

I thought of taking the canvas off but they are painted on all sides and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm mostly worried about keeping the trolley balanced and managing the stairs that spot assures me don't exist in the underground.
SuzyB

Problems With Luggage

Post by SuzyB »

koan;623714 wrote: I thought of taking the canvas off but they are painted on all sides and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm mostly worried about keeping the trolley balanced and managing the stairs that spot assures me don't exist in the underground.

Sorry to say but I have been on stairs on the tube station

koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

SuzyB;623715 wrote: Sorry to say but I have been on stairs on the tube station

I knew I wasn't hallucinating!

SPPPOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! :-5 :-5
Bryn Mawr

Problems With Luggage

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan

Problems With Luggage

Post by koan »

I'll have to take a picture of what we constructed and see how much you all laugh.

Basically took the backing of a duffel bag that had wheels and an extender handle, cut the bag away and put a wood brace to rest the box on. I'm just worried that it will tip back and forth because of the way the box has to load onto it narrow side out.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”