Don Imus' remarks

Discuss the latest political news.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;591410 wrote: It has happened times and is as much murder as direct shooting.

I completely disagree with that. Completely.

As a point of interest, look up mass psychology - at the point at which mob rule takes over the individual in no longer responsible for their own actions.
Lennox

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Lennox »

There is no way in hell Imus should have been fired. Now, don't get my wrong, I'm not a fan of his or anything but I feel like this simply reinforces my belief that racism is a one way street. You can't turn on "an urban" radio station without hearing remarks about woman such as Imus made but are these rappers and singers losing their sponsors and endorsement deals? Nope. I have several cd's in which worse things are said about women than them being nappy, headed ho's, yet these same artists are multi-platinum selling artists. If Imus was black there would not have been a second thought about what he said, it would have been passed off as a joke and that would have been the end of it. In the light of this and the Micheal Richards situation people are talking about racism and intolerance, but to them I ask, "How do you expect others to respect African-Americans when African-Americans don't respect themselves? By getting on the radio and t.v. and spewing vulgarities, you are opening yourself up to mimicry. The problem which lies within is only blacks can mimic other blacks because whites that attempt to do the same end up fired.
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Bottom line: the market determined the result, when the money began to walk MSNBC dropped the entire show (they d/n fire Imus btw) like a hot potatoe..

seems pretty fair to me..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Zink

Then how do you protect Freedom of Speech?

As Red stated - the KKK can parade around and print up flyers..?

As Lennox & others have stated - the blacks can talk trash - but a white person can't state the same? If some are offended by the slang - then everyone should stop using the slang remarks..

Don't make a example out of one person.. Its all or nothing.

Patsy
Lennox

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Lennox »

I fully understand why everyone is upset about what Imus said, but with that being said don't condemn him for something that you are likely to hear on a daily basis just by turning on the radio or t.v.
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;591567 wrote: Zink

Then how do you protect Freedom of Speech?

As Red stated - the KKK can parade around and print up flyers..?

As Lennox & others have stated - the blacks can talk trash - but a white person can't state the same? If some are offended by the slang - then everyone should stop using the slang remarks..

Don't make a example out of one person.. Its all or nothing.

Patsy

In this case it boiled down to the power of the purse and freedom of speech became a nonissue IMO... He offended people, big companies were concerned to be associated with his show due to the offence to some of their customers..In the end he had his freedom of speech but had to pay the price for offending the almighty dollar..I guess I don't see what's wrong with that..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Big companies with that big mighty buck - back up Rappers using the same offensive slang, which teaches our kids to sing the slang..

Another generation that will carry on the offensive BS

Eliminating Imus stops nothing - that is the purpose right !!

Patsy
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;591578 wrote: Big companies with that big mighty buck - back up Rappers using the same offensive slang, which teaches our kids to sing the slang..

Another generation that will carry on the offensive BS

Eliminating Imus stops nothing - that is the purpose right !!

Patsy

and who needs to deal with that problem? i think it is parents primarly who have dropped the ball..I don't believe kids brought up in a loving, tolerant home engage in that behavior..the laws to prevent racism and protect freedom of speech exist already. Nothing changes until indivduals take responsibilty for their own beliefs and actions IMO..

I come from a broken home..as part of my "healing" I went through a period of blaming my father for my "fuc#$ed up" life. As adult, one day I called him to confront him and hear an "I'm sorry", instead he told me "That may all be trouble but I guess your problems are your own today". Wow was he right and he totally made me change my outlook on my life.
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

As a consumer - I didn't hear any of those big companies asking ME what I thought. Hmmm.

Oh, and I have taken notes of who they are and will remember about the liberal use of such double standards next time I am in the market for one of their big ticket items.
Sandi

Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lilac

I so agree

I don't buy Honey Baked Hams - OJ owns part of the company.

So with the double standards, those companies I'll avoid.

Patsy
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

zinkyusa;591581 wrote: and who needs to deal with that problem? i think it is parents primarly who have dropped the ball..I don't believe kids brought up in a loving, tolerant home engage in that behavior..the laws to prevent racism and protect freedom of speech exist already. Nothing changes until indivduals take responsibilty for their own beliefs and actions IMO..

I come from a broken home..as part of my "healing" I went through a period of blaming my father for my "fuc#$ed up" life. As adult, one day I called him to confront him and hear an "I'm sorry", instead he told me "That may all be trouble but I guess your problems are your own today". Wow was he right and he totally made me change my outlook on my life.

So, why is it that the WHITE men are supposed to take responsiblity but the African American men are not?

I am so very tired of the race card getting played alllllll over the place every single time someone white says something about AA people.

Why are there so many AA men in prison? Because the white men enslaved their ancestors and the white man continues to hold them down. I hear it and read it all the time and I am so tired of the same old lame ass excuse.

Why are there so few AA men in positions of power in Corporate America? See excuse above.

How about placing less blame on what happened to people a century ago (I don't hear the Indians going on and on about the Trail of Tears anymore) and start looking within the culture to make changes. If African Americans don't want to be thought of as "nappy headed ho's" (to use the phrase that started this whole discussion) then maybe they should stop supporting rappers, comedians and anyone else of their own culture who use such phrases with any regularity.
Sandi

Shweet tatersalad

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

So,It appears that Imus will lose his job.Lets see how long before he gets some good offers.

Seems a black man named OJ Simpson can slice a white womans throat and nothing happens.

Michael Jackson,who pretends too be white can impair the morals and violate any white little boy he wants,and it's ok.

But OMG,let one white guy with access too the media say one thing wrong about da black race and THAT IS NOT TOO BE.:lips:

Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Patsy Warnick;591184 wrote: Hopefully the younger up & coming generation will stop the cycle with the racial remarks/conduct. It wouldn't be my generation (anyone born 1965 & earlier).

My generation - usually brought up by a bigot - "Archie Bunker" attitude.

You repeat what your taught.

Cia B. - My grandfather was born a slave baby.

Patsy

Patsy, I had no idea. My great-great grandfather fought for the Confederacy, and bless his heart, was captured 3 times! Talk about being on the wrong side of the war...

He wasn't a slave owner, and joined the war more for a the right to secede than anything else. During the Depression, my grandfather managed to keep about 25 blacks employed year round in his fields and such. My father and the rest of his family would attend celebrations of Emancipation Day, which actually varies from state to state, but was held in May, I believe.

We are one of the few families from my hometown who practice what we preach.

I'm not bragging, just letting you know my experiences.
cinamin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by cinamin »

He must be an abusive kind of man.
G-man

Don Imus' remarks

Post by G-man »

I don't know whether he's abusive or not... nor how much of his on-air persona is true to life, but... he's certainly not too brilliant or open-minded. I am certain that there's somebody out there willing to hire him, though... but he's certainly had a major set-back.

To be honest, I am only aware of who the fella' is, because I recall hearing of him for the very first time back when he got into another mess that involved his big mouth. :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

nvalleyvee

Don Imus' remarks

Post by nvalleyvee »

Ciao, Bella!;590013 wrote: I didn't catch his show live, as I don't bother with him. However, I did see the video on youtube, and thought the comments made by him and his producer were uncalled for.

I just watched the live news conference where the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team responded, and thought they were all very lovely young ladies, articulate, and bright, unworthy of a stupid man's words.

I endorse firing of Imus and all those involved. We've got to send a message that shock radio cannot be used to cover racism.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I really think a talk host has first amendemts rights....politically correct or not. It is freedom of speech - politically correct or not. I keep saying politically correct or not because there is toooooooo much guardianship on what our press, radio and television can and cannot say and who can or cannot say it because of their race!!!!!!! This pisses me off!
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I just wished I was as perfect as the executives who canned Imus.

I wished I had that HALO

Patsy
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

nvalleyvee;592165 wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb here but I really think a talk host has first amendemts rights....politically correct or not. It is freedom of speech - politically correct or not. I keep saying politically correct or not because there is toooooooo much guardianship on what our press, radio and television can and cannot say and who can or cannot say it because of their race!!!!!!! This pisses me off!

I'm more than all for free speech, and I do exercise it quite often, if not too often. That said, I do not, nor should I have to, use/insult someone's race to exercise my First Amendment.

I see no reason for it, other than to demean or harm someone. Just my view.
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

Patsy Warnick;592169 wrote: I just wished I was as perfect as the executives who canned Imus.

I wished I had that HALO

Patsy

What really ticks me off is that the decision to fire him came AFTER his boss met with "Rev" Sharpton and "Rev" Jackson. I wonder why those two don't meet with record company executives that are responsible for all of the wonderful rap music out there. Or maybe some designers that design the clothes worn by some of the music "icons" that are supposed to be role models for young men and women.
Sandi

Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Advice from Sharpton & Jackson - 2 Perfect Black Men with Halo's

giving their opinions to white executives about a white man ..!!! Wow

Patsy
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to share. It is from an African American sports journalist in Kansas City and is DEAD ON!!

COMMENTARY

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

Sandi

zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

LilacDragon;592385 wrote: I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to share. It is from an African American sports journalist in Kansas City and is DEAD ON!!

Powerful, to bad attitudes like his don't get the media attention of Al and Jesse..

He's proposing a dangerous idea here. Being responsible for one's actions..Much easier to blame the obvious targets..
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

These same Executives ? Network who canned Imus - still support the Rappers / MTV, they use ever slang under the sun.

Hopefully someday descriptions of people will stop

and we can all call eachother by our Name.

Patsy
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;592408 wrote: These same Executives ? Network who canned Imus - still support the Rappers / MTV, they use ever slang under the sun.

Hopefully someday descriptions of people will stop

and we can all call eachother by our Name.

Patsy

That's cuz they make them money Patsy..Until people stop buying their $hit the exec's have no problem..:rolleyes:
minks

Don Imus' remarks

Post by minks »

zinkyusa;592414 wrote: That's cuz they make them money Patsy..Until people stop buying their $hit the exec's have no problem..:rolleyes:

the power of "shock" eh, it sells, and in the end it's about the almighty buck. Sad what we have become.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Imus made them alot of money

It always comes down to the buck $$

This is clearly a double standard

Patsy
zinkyusa

Don Imus' remarks

Post by zinkyusa »

Patsy Warnick;592425 wrote: Imus made them alot of money

It always comes down to the buck $$

This is clearly a double standard

Patsy

That's the reality...
Tater Tazz

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Tater Tazz »

I do not think they should have fired him. My reason, what about the 3 boy's from college that were aquested of raping the lady? Jessie jackson was all over that to have them arrested. These boy's were found not guilty. Do you see Jessie Jackson getting into trouble? I think if one gets into trouble all should.
LilacDragon

Don Imus' remarks

Post by LilacDragon »

Tater Tazz;592594 wrote: I do not think they should have fired him. My reason, what about the 3 boy's from college that were aquested of raping the lady? Jessie jackson was all over that to have them arrested. These boy's were found not guilty. Do you see Jessie Jackson getting into trouble? I think if one gets into trouble all should.

I don't see Mr. Jackson telling any of those boys how sorry he is for assuming the worst.
Sandi

Tater Tazz

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Tater Tazz »

LilacDragon;592606 wrote: I don't see Mr. Jackson telling any of those boys how sorry he is for assuming the worst.

That is my point too! I think he should be telling them how sorry he is and footing the bills for there attorney's.
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Tater Tazz;592594 wrote: I do not think they should have fired him. My reason, what about the 3 boy's from college that were aquested of raping the lady? Jessie jackson was all over that to have them arrested. These boy's were found not guilty. Do you see Jessie Jackson getting into trouble? I think if one gets into trouble all should.

I have a friend, (who is black), who met Jesse Jackson. She was not impressed with him, and thought he and his entourage were too much.

And, according to her, Jesse will cancel at the last minute, with no explanation. It took a while to get him to honor his committment to speak at her church. And, it wasn't cheap, either.
Nomad

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Nomad »

Amen !

The following article addresses a more urgent issue. Don Imus may or may not ever be heard from again but the rage machine is in full swing.

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ciao, Bella!

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I know there are songs/raps by black artists that run down women, but to that extent, there are songs by white artists that do the same. Eminem (sp?) comes readily to mind.

It's all a basic lack of respect for each other, regardless of race, sex, religion or creed.

Whites started racism, by owning slaves. The artists who sing about such things are repeating what they've been raised with. Whites must end racism, if that makes sense.

It won't happen overnight, but it can happen. We've just got to give it a chance.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Oh come on. Blaming the white guy again. It's our personal job to end racism? No way am I buying that.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;593621 wrote: Oh come on. Blaming the white guy again. It's our personal job to end racism? No way am I buying that.

It's everyone's personal job to end racism but, given where we're coming from with racist abuse, it's especially important that the white guy does. Once that's happened a few chips might start being removed from collective shoulders.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

As long as white people are jive honkies and crackers ,etc, it would be the other guys' responsibility as well. I'm sick to death of being blamed for all society's ills because "my people" enslaved others. Stop pulling that card. I would expect this rhetoric from Sharpton, not from intelligent, sensible individuals.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;593644 wrote: As long as white people are jive honkies and crackers ,etc, it would be the other guys' responsibility as well. I'm sick to death of being blamed for all society's ills because "my people" enslaved others. Stop pulling that card. I would expect this rhetoric from Sharpton, not from intelligent, sensible individuals.

As I said, it's everybodies responsibility - that makes it the other guy's as well.

Neither am I blaming you for all of society's ills, I'm saying we are where we are, we know where we need to get to and the quickest route between the two puts more responsibility on us to make a start.
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

How do you figure we carry the brunt of the responsibility, Bryn?
aristotle

Don Imus' remarks

Post by aristotle »

The fantastic irony, when the Rutgers basketball team comes out with a song, Nappy Headed Ho's. The song climbs to the top of the rap charts, goes platinum. they all get rich.

Everybody walking around chanting "nappy headed hos, nappy headed hos", heads a bobbin'.

All the while, Don Imus shamed for saying it one time.

That would be the best ending to the story.:guitarist
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;593660 wrote: How do you figure we carry the brunt of the responsibility, Bryn?

I'm not even saying that.

Given that historically, the majority of racist exploitation that has led to the current situation was to the benefit of white people it is important that we avoid perpetuating the situation by scrupulously cutting out any trace of racism in our behaviour. Otherwise, the we justify the racist behaviour that comes back at us.

If we remove the “provocation” then the “response” becomes untenable. It's the only way out of a self justifying tit for tat position.

Just look at your response to the OP – why should we stop when they .......

Unless you actually want the racism to continue ad infinitum?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

aristotle;593665 wrote: The fantastic irony, when the Rutgers basketball team comes out with a song, Nappy Headed Ho's. The song climbs to the top of the rap charts, goes platinum. they all get rich.

Everybody walking around chanting "nappy headed hos, nappy headed hos", heads a bobbin'.

All the while, Don Imus shamed for saying it one time.

That would be the best ending to the story.:guitarist

and in the real world?
RedGlitter

Don Imus' remarks

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;593667 wrote:

Just look at your response to the OP – why should we stop when they .......

Unless you actually want the racism to continue ad infinitum?

Nope....just tired of being pegged for stuff another clown does, and tired of being part of the "wrong" color all the time.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;593700 wrote: Nope....just tired of being pegged for stuff another clown does, and tired of being part of the "wrong" color all the time.

That's fair enough - no-one said it would be easy :-6
libertine

Don Imus' remarks

Post by libertine »

We have gone for 10 pages discussing what Don Imus said and what should or should not be done about it and NO ONE mentioned the triumph of the Rutgers team and what they did to climb to the top of their game. THAT is the crime here. Some idiot shock jock made a stupid remark and that's all anyone can talk about for 10 days. The team didn't even get to celebrate their success, just respond to some jerk's thoughtless remark.

They showed their true colors by being cordial and forgiving to him. Would that HE could have been the same.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Don Imus' remarks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

libertine;594076 wrote: We have gone for 10 pages discussing what Don Imus said and what should or should not be done about it and NO ONE mentioned the triumph of the Rutgers team and what they did to climb to the top of their game. THAT is the crime here. Some idiot shock jock made a stupid remark and that's all anyone can talk about for 10 days. The team didn't even get to celebrate their success, just respond to some jerk's thoughtless remark.

They showed their true colors by being cordial and forgiving to him. Would that HE could have been the same.

and neither are we discussing the success or otherwise of 101 other teams who played that day and who, likewise, we've never heard of.

I'm sure that the success of the Rutgers team is being discussed in full by those that know them and can appreiciate the scale of that success. What's important in the wider context is the concept that you can deliberately use ignorance and racism to further your career and whether that should be allowed to succeed.
libertine

Don Imus' remarks

Post by libertine »

THe 'wider context' may be the point, but another point is that forever, those young women will be remembered individually and en masse as 'the ones who got Don Imus fired' no matter what they do in the future...not much different than the Duke Lacrosse boys who are also doomed to infamy because of a power hungry personality.

Obviously, Imus did not further his career..which was about over anyway, and we can only hope that his brain not in gear remarks have started the movement toward OUR responsibility in not participating by buying or otherwise patronising movies, songs, t.v. programs and comedians who use racial and sex biased jokes to get laughs Those people succeed only because WE as a society allow it.

Backlash is good!:)
aristotle

Don Imus' remarks

Post by aristotle »

here it is, the nappy headed ho remix.

aristotle

Don Imus' remarks

Post by aristotle »

another nappy headed ho song

I like this one better

Return to “Current Political Events”