Smokers - Increase your Vitamin B6 levels

polycarp

Post by polycarp »

By Jon Herring

If you are a smoker, you should probably increase your intake of vitamin B6. Washington State researchers found that smokers - even moderate smokers - have unusually low levels of B6. This particular vitamin plays an important role in protecting DNA strands. Damaged DNA can lead to cancer.

Some dietary sources of vitamin B6 include beans, legumes, seeds, nuts, eggs, fish, red meat, avocados, bananas, and spinach. It would also make sense to consider taking a supplement.

It goes without saying that the best course of action is to kick the habit altogether.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
minks

Post by minks »

polycarp wrote: By Jon Herring

If you are a smoker, you should probably increase your intake of vitamin B6. Washington State researchers found that smokers - even moderate smokers - have unusually low levels of B6. This particular vitamin plays an important role in protecting DNA strands. Damaged DNA can lead to cancer.

Some dietary sources of vitamin B6 include beans, legumes, seeds, nuts, eggs, fish, red meat, avocados, bananas, and spinach. It would also make sense to consider taking a supplement.

It goes without saying that the best course of action is to kick the habit altogether.

Wow you come up with some of the greatest articles PolyC. I always enjoy reading them. Glad I don't smoke mind you. I have lost 2 grand parents, and a father in law to the "weed" and I see it slowly running down the ex and am glad I don't indulge.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

minks wrote: Wow you come up with some of the greatest articles PolyC. I always enjoy reading them. Glad I don't smoke mind you. I have lost 2 grand parents, and a father in law to the "weed" and I see it slowly running down the ex and am glad I don't indulge.

Thanks Minks. I once experimented the habit (smoking) over a decade ago but discovered it wasn't for me. I have a brother who indulges and the effects are visible on his lips and palms which have turned dark.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
minks

Post by minks »

polycarp wrote: Thanks Minks. I once experimented the habit (smoking) over a decade ago but discovered it wasn't for me. I have a brother who indulges and the effects are visible on his lips and palms which have turned dark.

Bet he has dry skin and his face looks somewhat like parchment paper. My granny god bless her, was old school and to the day she died loved her red lip stick and boy did it bleed up the wrinkles of her lips due to her smoking bleck.

I can honestly say I never tried to smoke, just did not float my boat.

― Mae West
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

Smoking offers permanent damage to the body. it shows in the skin and in the voice, areas that i notice most, along with the yellow teeth and fingers. smoke ruins vehicles, your home and the second hand smoke harms everyone that has to smell it. no smokies here. ever talk to a smoker on the phone, well you can tell, dragg on that butt, cough & smoked voice, out of wind sitting down, sad. B6 its too late for some.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

minks wrote: Bet he has dry skin and his face looks somewhat like parchment paper. My granny god bless her, was old school and to the day she died loved her red lip stick and boy did it bleed up the wrinkles of her lips due to her smoking bleck.

I can honestly say I never tried to smoke, just did not float my boat.

As a matter of fact you description matches my brother. Worse is that his body has this permanent smell of ciggarettes that pisses me off. I tried my best to make him see reasons to stop smoking but all to no avail.
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

Agnes wrote: Smoking offers permanent damage to the body. it shows in the skin and in the voice, areas that i notice most, along with the yellow teeth and fingers. smoke ruins vehicles, your home and the second hand smoke harms everyone that has to smell it. no smokies here. ever talk to a smoker on the phone, well you can tell, dragg on that butt, cough & smoked voice, out of wind sitting down, sad. B6 its too late for some.

Hello Agnes it's good to hear from you. There are strict laws against smoking in my country now. A person could get arrested for smoking in public places and inside government offices.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Cheers folks, you've made a smoker feel very attractive! :yh_beatup
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

abbey wrote: Cheers folks, you've made a smoker feel very attractive! :yh_beatup

Attractive indeed he he he!
minks

Post by minks »

polycarp wrote: Hello Agnes it's good to hear from you. There are strict laws against smoking in my country now. A person could get arrested for smoking in public places and inside government offices.

we have similar laws here as well, no smoking in public places, except a bar because children are not allowed there. No smoking within 3 meters of a door way to a public place, no smoking on a bar patio. And heavy fines for being caught.

Abbey we hope we didn't insult you with our descriptions of smokers. I lost 3 family members to smoking and really wish there was a non-offending way to get smokers to quit, but addiction is hell and I do feel for the smoker as their "smoking space" is slowly being choked off.

― Mae West
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

minks wrote: we have similar laws here as well, no smoking in public places, except a bar because children are not allowed there. No smoking within 3 meters of a door way to a public place, no smoking on a bar patio. And heavy fines for being caught.

Abbey we hope we didn't insult you with our descriptions of smokers. I lost 3 family members to smoking and really wish there was a non-offending way to get smokers to quit, but addiction is hell and I do feel for the smoker as their "smoking space" is slowly being choked off.

I guess more people smoke in the developed nations because of the temperate (cold) weather. This is in contrast to my area (the tropics) which is hotter, which though does not stop a considerable number from smoking.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”