Job searching w/ an ailment

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Just a vent:

I'm currently searching for a part time job. However, I have Meniere's Diease, and four bulging discs in my neck. I don't know that I'll be able to work much, but I don't want to take disability just yet. In fact, I'm not even sure I'll qualify!

It'd be great if I could work from home.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Ciao

I'm not familiar with your disease - but with your neck problem I would imagine that limits the movement, so just a receptionist postion would be difficult.

If you can stand for a period of time, stores have greeters and that pays $8.25 @ hour, grocery stores, Walmart, etc.. If you can't stand or sit for a certain amount of time - you may want to apply for disability, that process is timely.

Patsy
saffy

Post by saffy »

Ciao, Bella!;560701 wrote: Just a vent:

I'm currently searching for a part time job. However, I have Meniere's Diease, and four bulging discs in my neck. I don't know that I'll be able to work much, but I don't want to take disability just yet. In fact, I'm not even sure I'll qualify!

It'd be great if I could work from home.

If you can just find a gap in the market then opening up an ebay shop is good for people whose health is uncertain. You can take it in your own stride and see how you go.

A good friend of mine has just left his job earning 45k a year to sell guitar strings (and other computer bits and bobs) over ebay and he's raking it in.

You've just got make sure you do everything by the book and pay all your taxes and so on.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Thanx, Saffy. I'll look into something along that line.
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Watch the disk in your neck! I had two fusions done because disks herniated. I am still not better, good luck getting disability, you will not. they will tell you, you can get sit done job. I have to go back to the surgeon wens. still having problems after second surgery. Arms go numb and pain in back of neck. Might be pinched nerve. well good luck.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Tater Tazz;561291 wrote: Watch the disk in your neck! I had two fusions done because disks herniated. I am still not better, good luck getting disability, you will not. they will tell you, you can get sit done job. I have to go back to the surgeon wens. still having problems after second surgery. Arms go numb and pain in back of neck. Might be pinched nerve. well good luck.

Ooh, Tater. I'm sorry to hear you're in still in pain. I do have an impinged nerve, it makes the muscles across my left shoulder blade spasm, and gives me a case of tennis elbow in the left arm. Trying to hold myself in the best position to lessen the spasms has created arthirits in my back as well.

Last night was a bad night, as I was in so much pain, I felt ill. I managed to get some sleep, but woke up still in pain. I've been doing PT for over a year, and it isn't helping.

I'm going to ask about another option, including surgery. I'm getting desperate here.

I hope you feel better soon, Tater.
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

I am disabled with my back, I have just started a job. Keep looking you eill find something to suit you I'm sure :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Thanx, SuzyB. I do wish I didn't have any health problems. Hopefully, I'll find a job soon. :-6
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Make sure you can do the job. I find myself still waking in middle of the night in pain, see what the surgeon says tommorow. His thing is, it's still healing. really tired of hearing that. Even with the pain medication, I still have pain. If you really are thinking of surgery, check your surgeon out on healthgrades, and make sure he is good.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I will, Tater. I too wake up in pain even after meds are on board. Normally, I can deal with pain, but I am the end of my endurance.

Return to “Work Employment”