Hounddog

Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

It seems to me there was a thread here in July sometime about this movie and the "brutal rape scene" (is there ANY other kind of Rape??) that this 12 year old Dakota Fanning (now 13) went thru to make this movie.

I looked for the thread and went back to last April, but didn't find it.

Today HLN (Headline News Network) had a piece about it, being that the movie is also at the Sundance Film Festival.

My husband and I were enraged by this. Who the hell do "they" think will go see this movie?? Pedophiles topped the list. :mad: WHY would ANYone put out this filth if not to entice the pedophiles to come on in off the streets and "have a look at this for a jolly good time"! :mad:

I'm still enraged at Dakota's mother and agent for allowing her to do this movie. A Mother?? All for the sake of $$$? What planet is that parent living on? And there's Dakota defending the entire thing saying she's "almost 13 now and I can handle it". Are YOU kidding?? At 13 you don't know squat! There have been adult actresses who have done abuse/rape scenes and have Not handled it well afterwards. Actress or not, it's an attack.

I'm boycotting this Satan inspired filth and I hope you will to.
Fibonacci

Hounddog

Post by Fibonacci »

I was just reading about this.

You and you husband are right. Pedophiles are going to be the first in line to see this.

Heres a link to the story.

http://movies.aol.com/news/articles/_a/ ... 1209990001
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
DesignerGal

Hounddog

Post by DesignerGal »

HBIC
DesignerGal

Hounddog

Post by DesignerGal »

Rain;526270 wrote: It seems to me there was a thread here in July sometime about this movie and the "brutal rape scene" (is there ANY other kind of Rape??) that this 12 year old Dakota Fanning (now 13) went thru to make this movie.

I looked for the thread and went back to last April, but didn't find it.

Today HLN (Headline News Network) had a piece about it, being that the movie is also at the Sundance Film Festival.

My husband and I were enraged by this. Who the hell do "they" think will go see this movie?? Pedophiles topped the list. :mad: WHY would ANYone put out this filth if not to entice the pedophiles to come on in off the streets and "have a look at this for a jolly good time"! :mad:

I'm still enraged at Dakota's mother and agent for allowing her to do this movie. A Mother?? All for the sake of $$$? What planet is that parent living on? And there's Dakota defending the entire thing saying she's "almost 13 now and I can handle it". Are YOU kidding?? At 13 you don't know squat! There have been adult actresses who have done abuse/rape scenes and have Not handled it well afterwards. Actress or not, it's an attack.

I'm boycotting this Satan inspired filth and I hope you will to.

Dont start by boycotting Robert Redford. He doesnt have anything to do with Sundance, you know? He just gave them money and sat on the board at first (3o years ago).

HBIC
Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

No, I'm not concerned with Redford. This is about a 12 year old and the juvenile choices she's making. The film, not Redford.

Fibon, thanx for the link :) I read all I could until I got a sick stomach. Her choice of words defending herself were self explainatory. She's VERY young and naive. I know, that when she's older, she'll look back and understand what the furor was all about.

Where she said, "this happends everyday..." made my stomach lurch. Yes! It does Dakota! So take your celebrity and work to FIX this, instead of putting it on the screen for More brainless pedophiles to come and get off on it! Her mother wasn't even in the room during the media blitz?? HELLO!!!!

DG, thanx. I'll check out your thread.

edited to add.... I have Very personal reasons for boycotting this movie. Please ppl. Don't waste your hard earned $$ on this filth. ESPECIALLY since it's so prevalent in this world we live in.
libertine

Hounddog

Post by libertine »

Thirty years ago (give or take a couple) Brooke Shields, then a pre-teen, made the movie Pretty Baby, with Keith Carradine and Susan Sarandon. She played the daughter of a prostitute who follows in her mother's footsteps.

There was much controversy because of Brooke's age. She had a nude scene, and the subject matter was questionable.

Actually the movie was critically acclaimed and may have been nominated for an award or two (Even Ican't remember everything)

My point is, in 30 years is it going to matter. We can mount a boycott; we can rant and rave; but the best thing to do is not go see the movie if you object to it. Trying to run another person's life and make their decisions is about the most fruitless thing anyone can embark on. Even in thename of moral superiority or whatever:lips:
Lulu2

Hounddog

Post by Lulu2 »

Dakota Fanning's family has made excellent choices about her roles so far and I'm willing to trust them on the integrity of this material, too. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PLOT IS, NOR DO WE KNOW THE MESSAGE OF THE FILM.

I'm reminded of all those Catholics who were furious about movies which had been banned by the Vatican, before anyone had seen them. Or--how about all the Jews who were furious about Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" film, before anyone had seen it?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Imladris

Hounddog

Post by Imladris »

Although I can see both sides of the arguement have valid points personally I don't feel entirely comfortable with this.

I tend to agree that sometimes the suggestion of what has happened is more powerful than actually having it played out in front of us. Imagination allowed to run riot is more frightening and shocking.

Years ago I used to help out our local Police training dept with their rape training. I played the victim of a brutal rape by a stranger. I know that if I didn't debrief properly or have enough support to become me again and not the victim I felt emotionally drained for days after. My only hope is that Dakota has enough adult support that she doesn't become affected by this in the future or that this won't cloud her attitude towards men.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
DesignerGal

Hounddog

Post by DesignerGal »

Novelty;526852 wrote: The whole industry is Profane.

Do you not watch ANY movies? Are you more of a PBS/Documentary only type? I cant stay away from good movies. My cousin wont watch movies unless they are documentaries.

I havent seen this one, but I saw a Lifetime movie not too long ago that had a rape scene with JEnna Malone and she couldnt have been older than 14. It was kind of disturbing to watch even though I knew it was "acting".

HBIC
Lulu2

Hounddog

Post by Lulu2 »

Films are the "epic myths" of life today.

I've just come from seeing "Last King of Scotland," which has some genuinely BRUTAL violence in it....violence which was absolutely appropriate for the story.

I think films help us address our feelings about actual situations and let us live theoretical ones. Clint Eastwood's new film about "Iwo Jima" is a good example of a film about war which leads us to anti-war sentiment.

Not much "profane" about that.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

Lulu2;529270 wrote: I think films help us address our feelings about actual situations...

That's an interesting comment Lulu. I thought hard about it b4 I replied. To me, I don't need a film to help me address my personal feelings about certain situations or circumstances. I have my views cemented enough with what's on the news everyday... and in my own neighborhood and family. I don't need it up on the big screen glamourizing it. OR to give a child actress an Oscar and see what it does for her career (quoting Dakota's stupid mother)

Also IMO Hollywood doesn't know how to turn out many decent movies anymore. Even in kid movies, including Disney, there's swearing and disrespect.

I know that because of all the hoopla surrounding this movie, many curious ppl besides the town pedophiles will go see this. Sickening.

I'm glad to have all your different opinions. It's what makes the world go round. :yh_peace
libertine

Hounddog

Post by libertine »

Lulu's point about exploring our feelings by watching extreme views in a safe situation is well founded. It's been done for years. I'm sure we all have negative feelings about rape (or at least I hope we do) but underneath do we harbor a 'she asked for it' opinion or maybe 'she shoul have stayed home" or some other less charitable view point? Movies and T.v. and novels can help us to clarify those feelings.

I'd never let my kid skip school to play hockey for a scouting College coach , either but I know parents who do and thnk it's o.k...maybe a simplistic comparison, but no one can make another's choices. Or fault them for them

If in five years Dakota Fanning hasn't had another movie role..you can say I told you so, but if she proves to be a well rouonded, talented older actress, are you willing to admit that a ten minue scene in a movie that may be very good (who knows) didn't hurt her.

Did you skip over the dogs devouring Jezebel or David seducing Bathsheba?
Lulu2

Hounddog

Post by Lulu2 »

Libertine Good point! Nobody can make choices for others, although we know that MANY PEOPLE are more than willing to do so!

We know that, as a minor, Dakota Fanning is protected while working and we know the director and other actors are watching out for her welfare as well. She made a film with Denzel Washington, in which she played a kidnap victim who was threatened and treated terribly. I remember interviews she did (often with Denzel, whom she seems to love) and you could tell she'd had no trauma...saw it as a role in a film...and was a happy child.
Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

Novelty, ITA!

libertine, not sure what your last line means. (just waking up and I'll read it later and try to figure it out). Still, I don't need a movie to understand my own opinions.
libertine

Hounddog

Post by libertine »

There is a great MAXINE cartoon (hope you all know Maxine) where she is saying "Don't believe all your own opinions" . Granted, she is something of a curmudgeon, but sometimes gets right to the point.

I think it is interesting to this discussion that this morning on NPR I heard a report on the Sundance Festival generally, and of all the movies mentioned as going somewhere neither "Hounddog " nor the documentary about beastiality was discussed. They didn't get picked up (as of today) and apparently didn't even impress this critic/judge as important enough to mention.

All the to do may be much ado about nothing!!!:-4 (this icon was added at the behest of granddaughter #7):-6
Lulu2

Hounddog

Post by Lulu2 »

OOOOPS....double post! This is directed to Rain!

Ok, Sleepyhead! How about this?

Thinking through a film might give us an insight into how we'd approach an event or situation. I've never been in a battle, but watching a war film might help me form an opinion in ways I'd not forsee.

Edited to add that Polly Klaas's father was interviewed, saying he approved of the subject matter and the depictions it was given in the film. Do we care about his opinions? Maybe not...but since he personally experienced the horrors this film portrayed, I think his opinion AFTER SEEING THE FILM is meaningful.
Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

Libertine... interesting.

Lulu2, I got'cha. When hubby and I went to see "In The Bedroom" our daughter was going thru a relationship (and you know who) and we thought about that movie a great deal. I understand your meaning now.

As far as Polly Klass's dad, I saw that too and though I understood his point, I was shocked.
Lulu2

Hounddog

Post by Lulu2 »

(To Rain) Ahhhhh....see? I remember that film and I know exactly what/who you mean.
Rain

Hounddog

Post by Rain »

;) :)

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”