anyone who takes medication....

pink princess

Post by pink princess »

apparently (no idea how true it is........) but

grapefruit has something in it which stops you being able to digest pills quite so easily (it was a magazine article and i cant remember that much of it sorry) however its stopped me having grapefruit juice in the mornings.... :D
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

pink princess wrote: apparently (no idea how true it is........) but

grapefruit has something in it which stops you being able to digest pills quite so easily (it was a magazine article and i cant remember that much of it sorry) however its stopped me having grapefruit juice in the mornings.... :D

The bigger question here is why am I taking something that is toxic when combined with a common, everyday food? Second question; What do I have to do to not need this?

Grapefruit does have a number of drug interactions. But most(not all) of the drugs it interacts with treat symptoms which could be totally avoided with a few simple dietary changes.

It's not the grapefruit that's interacting with the drug, it's the drug that's interacting with the grapefruit.

80+% of drug company profits come from drugs that cure nothing. They suppress symptoms that are easily avoidable.
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

i agree

except for those who unfortunately find a dietry change cannot cure them and they need the pills...

my mum has been ill for nealy 20 years now and shes tried every dietry change in the book and nothings worked for her

having said that she also refuses to take medication!!

also some conditions require a drug of some kind and unfortunately cant be helped with dietry change...

i do agree with what you have said though
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

would that include birth control pills also? that is a medication, isn't it? sounds like you are on a natural trip? do you plan to introduce product that supports your theories on health? your approach to health is understood, it just isn't always the most sensible for everyone, it is almost religious oriented? Johnathan Witiker & Edgar Cace, not sure on spelling, but you know them.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Agnes wrote: would that include birth control pills also? that is a medication, isn't it? sounds like you are on a natural trip? do you plan to introduce product that supports your theories on health? your approach to health is understood, it just isn't always the most sensible for everyone, it is almost religious oriented? Johnathan Witiker & Edgar Cace, not sure on spelling, but you know them.

If you had read my post, I very clearly stated, "not all" drugs. The 80% figure I did quote referred to drugs in primarily the following classes;

Acid blocking meds, from Tums to Nexium

Statins for cholesterol

Blood pressure meds of all stripe

Diabetes meds

pain meds from aspirin to viox and all other cox2 inhibitors

anti depressants

osteoporosis meds

These meds do not cure. The need for any of them would be near zero if people understood the biochemistry of how they come to need them in the first place. There's nothing religious about it.

As George Carlin once said, "Everything is natural."
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

alobar51 wrote: If you had read my post, I very clearly stated, "not all" drugs. The 80% figure I did quote referred to drugs in primarily the following classes;

Statins for cholesterol

Diabetes meds

anti depressants

osteoporosis meds

These meds do not cure. The need for any of them would be near zero if people understood the biochemistry of how they come to need them in the first place. There's nothing religious about it.

Yes i will have to agree on the meds you noted. they are more harmful than good, not everyone listens. people don't know about the bio-chemistry nor care enough to know. the reason i mentioned religious is i know a person who is so consumed with health, that their life evolves around supplements, articles by companies that sell vitamins, against other manufacturers of the same? you are interesting and know what you are talking about. thanks.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i went my entire life without taking any kind of medication. and was always healthy and strong. after my heart attack in december i suddenly had 6 pill bottles lined up on the kitchen counter. bleh. yuck. every time i took them i was sick to my stomach. so i stopped taking them for about a week, including the most important, a blood thinner. so as most of you know, i ended up back in the hospital, just got home. now i am taking the bloody pills and feeling nauseous all the time. what a way to live. :yh_sick :yh_sigh went from being tough cop kicking butt to feeling like an invalid overnight. just found out my sgt. is in hospital with heart attack. the job does it, we are dropping like flies. anyway, i suppose the blood thinners are a necessary evil.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

alobar51 wrote: If you had read my post, I very clearly stated, "not all" drugs. The 80% figure I did quote referred to drugs in primarily the following classes;

Statins for cholesterol

Diabetes meds

anti depressants

osteoporosis meds

uh, how will 'understanding the biochemistry' eliminate the need? i take antidepressants, and have done so for a decade. its an incredible relief *not* to loathe myself every day. what will 'understanding the biochemistry' do to alleviate the depression? i spent a decade in psychotherapy, and it did almost nothing to alleviate the depression. how do you propose altering the biochemical balance of the brain absent some chemical interaction?

It's not the grapefruit that's interacting with the drug, it's the drug that's interacting with the grapefruit.
sorry, but i have to take you to task for that one. you've just stated a tautology. it's meaningless. *interaction* requires at least two forces. you can't say that one of the the forces isn't party to the interaction!

Grapefruit juice contains an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. Those particular enzymes metabolize SSRI's in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice while taking an SSRI can cause Serotonin Syndrome, which can kill you in short order. However, this doesn't apply to many of the newer, more selective SSRI's, such as celexa, lexapro, etc.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

lady cop wrote: i went my entire life without taking any kind of medication. and was always healthy and strong. after my heart attack in december i suddenly had 6 pill bottles lined up on the kitchen counter. bleh. yuck. every time i took them i was sick to my stomach. so i stopped taking them for about a week, including the most important, a blood thinner. so as most of you know, i ended up back in the hospital, just got home. now i am taking the bloody pills and feeling nauseous all the time. what a way to live. :yh_sick :yh_sigh went from being tough cop kicking butt to feeling like an invalid overnight. just found out my sgt. is in hospital with heart attack. the job does it, we are dropping like flies. anyway, i suppose the blood thinners are a necessary evil.

If you'd like some suggestions, email me.

What we do is make your medical team's job easier.

peace

Rik

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”