Bush Sleeps Through Execution?!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

The TimesJanuary 01, 2007

Hussain al-Geswan, from Detroit, Michigan, joins other Arab American in Dearborn, Michigan, to celebrate the execution of Saddam Hussein on December 30

Saddam Washington

Bush sleeps through execution

James Bone in New York

President said that he should not be disturbed in an attempt to distance himself from dictator's hanging

President Bush slept through the execution of Saddam Hussein in an effort to distance himself from the killing of the Iraqi tyrant whom he once described as “the man who tried to kill my Dad”.

Mr Bush’s decision not to crow about Saddam’s death on television reflected the increasing unpopularity of the war among the American public and the Administration’s concern that the execution should not be seen around the world as an act of vengeance by the United States. The President — whose father was the target of an abortive assassination plot by Iraq in 1993 that might also have killed his mother, Barbara, and wife, Laura — spent the week between Christmas and new year at his ranch in Texas working on plans for a possible troop surge in Iraq.

NI_MPU('middle');Aides said that Mr Bush was told of the impending execution before he went to bed before 9pm with instructions not be woken. He prepared a brief statement that was released after Saddam’s death, calling the execution an “important milestone” but cautioning of further trouble ahead. “Many difficult choices and further sacrifices lie ahead,” he said. “Yet the safety and security of the American people require that we not relent in ensuring that Iraq’s young democracy continues to progress.”

His low-key reaction was in marked contrast to his taunts after Saddam was found hiding in a foxhole in 2003, when he said: “Good riddance. The world is better off without you, Mr Saddam Hussein.”

Mr Bush woke at about 5am on Saturday and had a ten-minute telephone call with Steven Hadley, his National Security Adviser, on world reaction to Saddam’s execution. The President is expected to reveal his plan for a troop surge this month, despite polls showing that only 12 to 18 per cent of Americans support sending more soldiers to Iraq. The plan faces a hostile reception in the newly Democrat-controlled Congress, where even key Republicans have so far refused to endorse a troop increase.

Senator Richard Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said yesterday that he did not yet know if he could support a surge, and called on Mr Bush to discuss the plan with Congress before unveiling it. “The Administration needs to identify precisely where the battle lines are — who is it we combat,” he said. “I haven’t seen such lines,” he added.

Mr Lugar voiced concern that an expanded effort to train Iraqi security forces might “lead to Iraqis who are better prepared for civil war against each other”.

John Edwards, a former Senator and a Democratic presidential contender, yesterday denounced calls for more troops in Iraq. In an early sign that the troop surge will play a big part in the 2008 election campaign, he said that Senator John McCain, his Republican rival, was “dead wrong” to call for up to 30,000 more troops, decrying the proposal as the “McCain Doctrine”.

Dan Senor, a former coalition spokesman in Iraq, said that Mr Bush’s plan represented a comeback for the neo-conservatives, who argued originally for the war but have taken a beating because of the setbacks in Iraq. A self- proclaimed neoconservative, he argued that Mr Bush should add more than 30,000 troops to control Baghdad and Anbar province, rather than compromising on a smaller number.

“Whatever troop increase the President goes for is going to be criticised,” he said. “He is going to score no political points by going for a smaller increase.

“If he announced 10,000- 15,000 troops or if he announces 30,000-40,000, those who are against the surge are going to say it’s a disaster and those who are for it are going to welcome it. So go for the number that maximises the chance of success.” Video images of Saddam with a noose around his neck led US newscasts over the weekend, but television stations did not show the actual hanging. Pictures of his unadorned wooden coffin in the back of a white pickup truck, being driven it to its final resting place, were juxtaposed with the funeral procession of Gerald Ford, the former President. Some newspapers indulged in gallows humour, however. “Yo, Saddam . . .”, the Philadelphia Daily News joked on Saturday’s cover. “Say Hi to Hitler.”
BTS

Post by BTS »

Can you please cite this hit piece for us?

Weird.... title is Bush Sleeps Through Execution?!

But the jest of the article is troop increase...

PLEASE DO cite who wrote this spiel....
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

It's noted at the top: James Bone for The Times.
BTS

Post by BTS »

RedGlitter;501885 wrote: It's noted at the top: James Bone for The Times.

Thanks......

The Times huh.....

could it be the NY Times, LA Times...........London Times?
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

BTS, it's www.thetimes.com.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

President Bush slept through the execution of Saddam Hussein in an effort to distance himself from the killing of the Iraqi tyrant whom he once described as “the man who tried to kill my Dad”.

Thanks for the chuckle. :)
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

That link didn't work, but I found the article. It's the Times of London, or another British online newsgroup.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 26017.html
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

who cares? he didn't even attend Ford's funeral.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

lady cop;502000 wrote: who cares? he didn't even attend Ford's funeral.
I thought he did the eulogy. :-2
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i may be wrong. but i read he was in texas and didn't give a hoot.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

• Bush: Ford a courageous president ....so he will show up.
spot

Post by spot »

lady cop;502003 wrote: Bush: Ford a courageous president ....so he will show up.There, doesn't that feel better? Informed opinion rather than mere guesswork? Google is your friend.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

spot;502012 wrote: There, doesn't that feel better? Informed opinion rather than mere guesswork? Google is your friend.you're such a twit. :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

lady cop;502018 wrote: you're such a twit. :wah:Just a mild observation on "it sure beats cut and paste and google for 'opinions'". Some of us have opinions and back them with external instances - what you might call a bit of meat on the plate. Some others are only capable of overboiling vegetables and hoping that a ton of salt will disguise the unappetizing mess.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

Now if Bush would just sleep through the rest of his presidency then the world might be able to breathe a little easier.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;502081 wrote: Just a mild observation on "it sure beats cut and paste and google for 'opinions'". Some of us have opinions and back them with external instances - what you might call a bit of meat on the plate. Some others are only capable of overboiling vegetables and hoping that a ton of salt will disguise the unappetizing mess.

I like meat and vegetables :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Nomad;502129 wrote: I like meat and vegetables :-6
Go and boil your head.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

spot;502165 wrote: Go and boil your head.

then we could make head cheese! :D
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

So Bush wrote the article himself? :confused:

Who is this "reporter" to claim he knows what was going through the mind of the Prez??

Insane Hussein got exactly what was coming to him and all the rest of the fluff and assumptions are gravy. Stale gravy at that. :thinking:
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Mystery

Post by Mystery »

I don't have a clue as to why it's a big deal that the President slept through it, or that he wanted to distance himself from it. In fact, I think it was best to do that. The man was tried, convicted, sentenced to die, and that happened, end of story.

I do wish, however, that the media would stop sensationalizing this crap. He received his due punishment, now it's over.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Bush is known to be an early to bed guy, so if he had stayed up for the execution they would have written articles that he went out of his way to revel and celebrate in the execution. Sometimes a President, no matter who he is, can't win. Show up for a disaster and he's a grandstander looking for a photo-op. Don't show up and he doesn't care. Go figure.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

B'R: "So Bush wrote the article himself?

Who is this "reporter" to claim he knows what was going through the mind of the Prez??

Insane Hussein got exactly what was coming to him and all the rest of the fluff and assumptions are gravy. Stale gravy at that.

++++++++++++ I can't stand Bush, myself, B'R....but I certainly agree with you here. And ADAM's right...you know there was going to be SOME kind of criticism about Bush, regardless of what he did or didn't do.

(Egad..I just defended the man???? NAH!) :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

OK, Saddsm is gone, but what about his paymasters ( Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt, Ashcroft and Blair) - when are their trials scheduled?
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Didn't you forget Chirac, Annan, Putin, and Shroeder?
Insomniac

Post by Insomniac »

spot;502081 wrote: Just a mild observation on "it sure beats cut and paste and google for 'opinions'". Some of us have opinions and back them with external instances - what you might call a bit of meat on the plate. Some others are only capable of overboiling vegetables and hoping that a ton of salt will disguise the unappetizing mess.

Mmmmm.
You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Return to “General Chit Chat”