Turner Classic Movies

lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

this is a great cable channel....fantastic classic films, no adverts, tape the ones you love! here's a heads-up....thursday august 4 at 4PM eastern will be "lawrence of arabia". i keep TCM in my "favorites" to check their lineup. i have collected many films there, am very fond of old musicals and bogarts. what do you like?
Nuthrday

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Nuthrday »

That's quite the coincidence! I was just talking to the husband unit two days ago about subscribing! I'm cheap, don't want to buy a whole package on DISH to get the only one I want! Boo hoo. Nice to read accolades, so I'll keep thinking!
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

www.turnerclassicmovies.com. check out the site to help decide. :)
Nuthrday

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Nuthrday »

Thanks! I really would like to see a good old movie sometimes! Ain't nothin' on regular tv!
chonsigirl

Turner Classic Movies

Post by chonsigirl »

That channel is on 90% + in my home. That is the only channel my husband wants to watch the majority of the time. I have to sneak in the occassional DVD I want when he's not looking! (like I had Alexander on last night, my daughter can bring them home from her video store for a night the week before they go on sale. It was hard to convinve him to give me those controls!)

TCM does have alot of movies that are good, much better then AMC which sadly has gone the way of too many commercials.
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

:-4 ohhhh....key largo with bogie and bacall is on later tonight! :-4 :cool:
chonsigirl

Turner Classic Movies

Post by chonsigirl »

Bogie has been on several movies the last two days, because my husband watches that channel alot. Although Jimmy Cagney was on this morning when I went off to school. Key Largo is a great movie.
St Ives

Turner Classic Movies

Post by St Ives »

Have just watched 'Song of Bernadette" old black and white movie - brings tears to your eyes
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

chick flicks tonight (tuesday 2/21) beginning at 8 eastern....fried green tomatoes, ( you have to love tawanda!!:D ) and then coal miner's daughter (very impressive, sissy spacek does the songs herself, quite credibly:guitarist ).
WendyB4

Turner Classic Movies

Post by WendyB4 »

lady cop wrote: this is a great cable channel....fantastic classic films, no adverts, tape the ones you love! here's a heads-up....thursday august 4 at 4PM eastern will be "lawrence of arabia". i keep TCM in my "favorites" to check their lineup. i have collected many films there, am very fond of old musicals and bogarts. what do you like?
I absolutly love this channel. Just this weekend I finally watched ''Cat On A Hot Tin Roof'' Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Burl Ives..what an awesome show! I've watched quite a bit of this channel since we got it and I think Hollywood needs to watch it...so they can remember how to make a good movie without something exploding every five seconds, or all the actors flying around on wires!
Rapunzel

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Rapunzel »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I love to watch old black and white, British "B" movies, just to remember what we used to live like. They even talked different then. The ones set in London , I like to follow the backgrounds to see how its all changed , or not as the case maybe. Often the films are pretty ropey but they have a charm

At least the old classics had a decent plot and script, not relying on the old special effects.

Hey Arnold, me too!! I love the old black & white films. I especially love the old Ealing Cinema films such as 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' and 'Passport to Pimlico'. Like you, I love to see how England, and usually London, has changed. I also like the way they talk, be it in country dialects or BBC English. And I especially like the fact that there is no gratuitous sex, sex for the sake of sex, or swearing. So many films today are violent with tons of swearing and graphic sex...and little or no storyline.

I love TCM as well as Hallmark and the Drama channel. Channel 339 used to be called 'Bad movies' which annoyed me as they could be pretty good, they were just very old black & whites. I think they've renamed it the 'Mens ACTION channel now'. What rot!

Going off at a tangent here, what do people think of the new numbering system on Sky? All that advertising and waiting....for something thats been badly planned and poorly thought-through, I think. :thinking:
Jives

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Jives »

chonsigirl wrote: That channel is on 90% + in my home. That is the only channel my husband wants to watch the majority of the time. I have to sneak in the occassional DVD I want when he's not looking! (like I had Alexander on last night, my daughter can bring them home from her video store for a night the week before they go on sale. It was hard to convinve him to give me those controls!)

TCM does have alot of movies that are good, much better then AMC which sadly has gone the way of too many commercials.

Yeah, isn't it sad about AMC? That used to be a good station too, but now a two-hour movie takes four hours to watch, thanks to the commercials.

I am a FREAKIN' TCM NUT! I absolutely love this station. My wife and I love the stuff with Audrey Hepburn like "Roman Holiday" but they also show stuff I've never even heard of before! And being a movie buff who's so crazy about movies that I read Leonard Maltin's guide cover to cover, that's pretty difficult!

Recently I saw a Vincent Price movie called, "I Am Legend" which turned out to be a 1930's version of the 1978 Charleton Heston movie "The Omega Man"! Absolutely too cool!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Sheryl

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Sheryl »

I watch TCM sometimes. It's hard for me to get into some of the movies. But I do like Audrey Hepburn movies. Sabrina is my favorite one. I also love musicals. Seven brides for seven brothers is one of my favorites.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

tonight, march 4, 8 PM eastern....la streisand in "funny girl", terrific musical based on fanny brice. good music, good love story. :)
Bothwell

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Bothwell »

OK because I have not been on the boartd for a while I have taken my courage in both hands and am about to disagree with you LC.

I would rather remove ny own eyeballs with a rusty spoon than watch La Striesand in anything. A few weeks ago there were commercials on here advertising her latest album,including duets with whatever Gibb brother is still alive!!!!!

Boys great disco music but that's it, Barbara it's time to call it a day for my sake please.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
cars

Turner Classic Movies

Post by cars »

Bothwell wrote: OK because I have not been on the boartd for a while I have taken my courage in both hands and am about to disagree with you LC.

I would rather remove ny own eyeballs with a rusty spoon than watch La Striesand in anything. A few weeks ago there were commercials on here advertising her latest album,including duets with whatever Gibb brother is still alive!!!!!

Boys great disco music but that's it, Barbara it's time to call it a day for my sake please.

Oh Oh Both, remember LC has a gun, & she knows how to use it! ;)
Cars :)
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

Bothwell wrote: OK because I have not been on the board for a while I have taken my courage in both hands and am about to disagree with you LC.

Boys great disco music but that's it, Barbara it's time to call it a day for my sake please.peoplllllle, people who need peoppppllle, are the luckiest people in the world! :yh_sick :yh_bigsmi :yh_sick ...i won't make you watch streisand if you don't make me watch cricket:yh_tong2
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

tonight, march 17, 8 PM eastern, "a night to remember". the classic titanic movie.
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

To Have And Have Not 6 PM ....this will be great tonight, nov. 13

A skipper-for-hire's romance with a beautiful drifter is complicated by his growing involvement with the French resistance.

Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Walter Brennan. Dir: Howard Hawks. BW-100 mins, TV-G

TCM's Evening Theme: MUSICAL BIOS

8:00pm

Gene Krupa Story, The (1959)

Legendary jazz musician Gene Krupa faces highs and lows along the path of his life.

Cast: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner, James Darren Dir: Don Weis BW-101 mins, TV-PG

10:00pm

Jolson Story, The (1946)

The singer and star of the first "talkie" risks it all to become a star.

Cast: Larry Parks, Evelyn Keyes, William Demarest. Dir: Alfred E. Green. C-128 mins

12:15am

St. Louis Blues (1958)

Musical biopic about the life of legendary bluesman W.C. Handy.

Cast: Nat King Cole, Pearl Bailey, Cab Calloway. Dir: Allen Reisner. BW-105 mins, TV-PG

2:15am

Night And Day (1946)

Fanciful biography of songwriter Cole Porter, who rose from high society to find success on Tin Pan Alley.

Cast: Cary Grant, Jane Wyman, Alexis Smith. Dir: Michael Curtiz. C-128 mins, TV-G

4:30am

New Orleans (1947)

A gambling-hall owner goes straight when he discovers the market for Chicago jazz.

Cast: Arturo de Cordova, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday. Dir: Arthur Lubin. BW-90 mins, TV-G
Richard Bell

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Richard Bell »

BW-100 mins, TV-G

BW-101 mins, TV-PG

I'm glad to see that they are showing old black & white films in black & white. I can't stand those colourised things !

A few years ago, CBC ran a colourised version of "A Christmas Carol", the definitive Alastair Sim version. It looked like crap.
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

tonight, sat. nov. 25th , at 10PM eastern...'white Christmas". humbug. :p
CARLA

Turner Classic Movies

Post by CARLA »

I will be watching as always this will be at least the 60th time I have watched it.:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Turner Classic Movies

Post by chonsigirl »

White Christmas.........................:-4
Marie5656

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Marie5656 »

We love Turner Classic movies. FMC, Fox Movie Channel is great too. Thanks for the heads up on White Christmas. Will have to record it tonight.
Rain

Turner Classic Movies

Post by Rain »

TCM and FMC are on my fast dial. I watch them all the time. I'm an old movie buff. LOVE them! And I love how TCM has Robert Osborne on with tid bits of trivia about something or another both b4 and after the movie.

The other night at 2AM they were showing Cheaper by the Dozen. OH, how I wanted to stay up for that. But I have it on tape anyway, so.... Clifton Webb was a master in that movie. I saw a few months ago they played all the Thin Man movies in reverse. Last to first. Fabulous!
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

nov. 30, 5:30 PM coal miner's daughter. and 11:30 the graduate!
lady cop

Turner Classic Movies

Post by lady cop »

8 Pm eastern tonight, Dec. 15...don't shoot your eye out!

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”