bio polor disorder

Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

if any one has any experiance on this matter could you please post what you know please jimbo:confused:
WonderWendy3

bio polor disorder

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I thought it was bi-polar dis-order, not an expert on it, although know of people that have to be on medication and some I think SHOULD be on medication for it.

Known for the "mood swings" and very irritable...but you probably know that already...sure there are more people much more knowledgable that me on this subject...
buttercup

bio polor disorder

Post by buttercup »

Jimbo if you type 'bi polar forums' into google it will take you to places where people who have it & families of those affected by it are

Always best to get it straight from the horse's mouth ;)
AussiePam

bio polor disorder

Post by AussiePam »

Bi-polar disorder is a mental illness which can be treated. Not something to make conversation about. If you, or someone you know, suspects they may have this illness, you/they need to see your/their doctor for appropriate ongoing medical care and advice. There are support groups.

If you are just curious and want general information, here are a few official websites. There are lots of others.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm

Site now updated to http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/b ... ndex.shtml

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-md02.html

http://bipolar.about.com/About_Bipolar_Disorder.htm
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Saffron

bio polor disorder

Post by Saffron »

I think it's called BIpolar disorder.

And from what I've experienced of people who have it, (and this my upset some people), some, if not many people use that term to make an excuse to be rude as hell.

I can give a few examples of it, one of them being my x-landlord. But I'm not going to waste time writing about her or the many people who I've come into contact with who supposedly have "bipolar disorder", but who are really just inconsiderate people who don't take care of themselves and are rude.

Sometimes I think that the psychiatric establishment makes up "disorders". And really they are just more reasons for humans to never get their lives together and become productive people in society. Because if one has a "disorder" that is a psychiatric illness/condition, then they may receive all kinds of money from the State to live on. And they never have to get better.

Sorry to be so negative. But that is how I think about it.:-5
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

thanks to every one you have helped out lots jimbo:-4
cherandbuster

bio polor disorder

Post by cherandbuster »

Diuretic;474392 wrote: I always like it when things work out in a thread :-6

I like a good punch-up too but this is good.

:) Di :)
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

cherandbuster;474471 wrote: :) Di :)
does any one know if a minor has this if they grow out of it , if it can be controlled or if the person has this for life :-3
libertine

bio polor disorder

Post by libertine »

jimbo;474775 wrote: does any one know if a minor has this if they grow out of it , if it can be controlled or if the person has this for life :-3

Usually it is diagnosed at puberty or around that age. often mistken for a couple of years as teen aged angst. However, IF it is a true diagnosis, it's for life, but it is treatable. The person needs to WANT to be treated however, and many bi-polars don't see the need for it, even though everyone around them does.

Lately, I think "bi-polar' has become the flavor of the month as I know several young people who are classified 'bi-polar' all at once. Like attention deficit disorder and Post traumatic Stress of a few years ago.

It pays to get a good diagnosis from a reputable doctor.
koan

bio polor disorder

Post by koan »

libertine;475171 wrote: Usually it is diagnosed at puberty or around that age. often mistken for a couple of years as teen aged angst. However, IF it is a true diagnosis, it's for life, but it is treatable. The person needs to WANT to be treated however, and many bi-polars don't see the need for it, even though everyone around them does.

Lately, I think "bi-polar' has become the flavor of the month as I know several young people who are classified 'bi-polar' all at once. Like attention deficit disorder and Post traumatic Stress of a few years ago.

It pays to get a good diagnosis from a reputable doctor.

great post.

I've known a few and I've tried to help a teen who loved having a disorder. Wanting to be healthy is the first ingredient to establish. For teens the attention is almost alluring. She has to see how bad it is to get attention that way first.

What would be really neat is to find an alternative therapy that can heal it.
guppy

bio polor disorder

Post by guppy »

most people who are true bipolar are born with it. untill the child reaches puberty it is not classified as a diagnoses because it is a permanent thing that stays on your record the rest of your life. my dad, my brother, one of my sons, and several nephews have it. the problem is as stated above, a true bi polar often cannot see the need for therapy or medication. they hurt everyone around them far more than themselves. the only thing i can say is be careful of them when they are in the depressive state . they are high risk for suicide. esp. the males. as in all med. diagnosises. there are diff categoris of bi polar as well. some people dont have mood swings unless extremely stressed out. others rapid cycle on a hourly basis. manic, depressed, manic, depressed. basiscally it is a mood disorder. it is a chemical brain imbalance that the person cannot control. ...........
Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

thanks to every one that posted on this i have books facts figures etc what i wanted was some real life examples how it affected the families , did people manage to lead a normal life etc can they ever live on their own , have kids you know the real stuff :-3 :-4
insanity_clause

bio polor disorder

Post by insanity_clause »

bi polar people can and do lead 'normal lives' with good input from the health service and a good support network from family and friends. the major problems tend to happen with the bi polar person becomes isolated, which can happen because behaviour can be very erratic and difficult to understand.

http://www.bipolar.com/facts_and_myths.html

there are a lot of sites out there that offer info and support i like the mind site.

http://www.mind.org.uk/

hope you find this helpful.
insanity_clause

bio polor disorder

Post by insanity_clause »

the medication problem is common with many psychiatric disorders why take take tablets if you feel ok? it also happens with other people with physical illnesses who constanly have to take meds. taking the tablets is a constant reminder of the illness or condition.
RedGlitter

bio polor disorder

Post by RedGlitter »

Jimbo, you're getting some misinformation here about the character of people with bipolar. :mad: Since I am bipolar, I will email you a little about me.

See you soon! :)
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

Manic Depression Fellowship

This site has some useful information.

Omega-3 fatty acids in bipolar disorder: suggests that improving omega 3 status may be a way forward. (particularly for Bipolar women wanting to become pregnant)

I found that increasing omega 3 status (3g omega3/d+15g Linseedmeal) on it's own helped but didn't solve the problem. Since I added Vitamin d (4000iu/d from October to March Latitude 53N) I've not had my usual Winter downer and have been far more stable. It's my view (can't find the link to the research to support it, at the moment) that the vitamin d receptors in the brain affect the uptake of DHA (omega 3EFA) and so it wasn't until I started making sure I got regular sunshine exposure through the summer and used high strength cholecalciferol vitamin d3 as soon as it got impractical to continue sunbathing as well as taking the omega 3 that I really felt the benefit.

Mental Health Foundation Exercise and depression

Mental Health Foundation Diet Depression information I also think that food (booze/junk food/additives) can be a trigger for manic episodes so healthier eating is a good idea.
rainbowsmiles

bio polor disorder

Post by rainbowsmiles »

RedGlitter;475376 wrote: Jimbo, you're getting some misinformation here about the character of people with bipolar. :mad: Since I am bipolar, I will email you a little about me.

See you soon! :)

I agree with you redglitter! My aunt is a psychologist and has patients with bipolar disorder (she always works alongside a psychiatrist) and what I've learned about the disorder from her is entirely different from what I've read on this forum. Our family has 2 friends who are currently being treated for bipolar disorder and have been for years and they aren't fitting the description some people are describing of this disorder here. So professional advice is probably better than forum advice where this is concerned.
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

rainbowsmiles;476355 wrote: I agree with you redglitter! My aunt is a psychologist and has patients with bipolar disorder (she always works alongside a psychiatrist) and what I've learned about the disorder from her is entirely different from what I've read on this forum. Our family has 2 friends who are currently being treated for bipolar disorder and have been for years and they aren't fitting the description some people are describing of this disorder here. So professional advice is probably better than forum advice where this is concerned.Self management of Bipolar disorder I'm not sure what information people are objecting to in this thread. I'm also not sure that seeking professional help is always to answer to the problem. I've taken just about every anti-depressant on the shelves and I don't really think they solve the problem, simply keep the symptoms down by taking the enjoyment out of life. If someone has been treated for the condition for years then that treatment clearly isn't sufficiently effective as the patient isn't able to manage their condition on their own, without depending on the professional. The treatment can only be considered successful when the bipolar person is able to manage their condition themselves without professional imput. In my view Self management is the way to go. See link above and meet up with others doing the same. I'm sure there are similar groups in the US.

But it is true that people with Bipolar can be difficult to live with and trying to hide this is somewhat disingenous.
Elvira

bio polor disorder

Post by Elvira »

tedhutchinson;476997 wrote: Self management of Bipolar disorder I'm not sure what information people are objecting to in this thread. I'm also not sure that seeking professional help is always to answer to the problem. I've taken just about every anti-depressant on the shelves and I don't really think they solve the problem, simply keep the symptoms down by taking the enjoyment out of life. If someone has been treated for the condition for years then that treatment clearly isn't sufficiently effective as the patient isn't able to manage their condition on their own, without depending on the professional. The treatment can only be considered successful when the bipolar person is able to manage their condition themselves without professional imput. In my view Self management is the way to go. See link above and meet up with others doing the same. I'm sure there are similar groups in the US.

But it is true that people with Bipolar can be difficult to live with and trying to hide this is somewhat disingenous.

Professional advice and professional help are two different things. In Jim's case I would (and have) recommended that there is professional intervention.

I've worked with someone with Bi-polar disorder (in a position of seniority) and she was able to function normally in a high pressure situations. She has, however recognised the illness and has sought help.

Jim - The situation you're talking about is too extreme to even think about her going it alone.
Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

Elvira;477007 wrote: Professional advice and professional help are two different things. In Jim's case I would (and have) recommended that there is professional intervention.

I've worked with someone with Bi-polar disorder (in a position of seniority) and she was able to function normally in a high pressure situations. She has, however recognised the illness and has sought help.

Jim - The situation you're talking about is too extreme to even think about her going it alone.
i know that sweety

i just wanted some real life story's from real people , i know you have been a great friend to me and sue over the years and you will be the first person i will let my daughter meet when she comes over , i trust you and believe in you that much i know i dont keep in touch much but you know what i have on my plate at the mo its not easy to to do anything about it right now , sundays buisiness went well .. i know i know your right in all you say but thats me i cant turn my back on anyone :D :D
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

Bipolar Disorder useful websites and Bipolar disorder resources

I also use Crazymeds website They have an active discussion forum as well that can be useful.
rainbowsmiles

bio polor disorder

Post by rainbowsmiles »

tedhutchinson;476997 wrote: Self management of Bipolar disorder I'm not sure what information people are objecting to in this thread. I'm also not sure that seeking professional help is always to answer to the problem. I've taken just about every anti-depressant on the shelves and I don't really think they solve the problem, simply keep the symptoms down by taking the enjoyment out of life. If someone has been treated for the condition for years then that treatment clearly isn't sufficiently effective as the patient isn't able to manage their condition on their own, without depending on the professional. The treatment can only be considered successful when the bipolar person is able to manage their condition themselves without professional imput. In my view Self management is the way to go. See link above and meet up with others doing the same. I'm sure there are similar groups in the US.

First of all, I'm not pro-medicine myself. I don't believe in using anti depressants. Generalized Anxiety runs in my family (at present it is considered a genetic problem with no real cure). I don't use medications to control it because I've found natural ways of dealing with it. I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about using meds with no success and taking control of your own condition. My response to the original poster wasn't me being a proponent of medication but a proponent of talking with someone who is educated in this area. Are you educated in this area? It seems your opinion is based entirely on your own experience and IMO that isn't what I refer to as being educated in the area of bipolar disorder. I know for certain that anyone who is educated in the area of mental health issues can't make a diagnosis of an individual over the internet nor can they have complete understanding of an individuals issues just based on a few posts. I was clear enough when I said that the information I read on this forum is contradictory to the information I received from my aunt as well as contradictory to the information I received from 2 people who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and are currently being treated medically. I didn't say ALL the information offered here was incorrect but not all of the information presented is going to apply to everyone with bipolar disorder nor is the advise on how to handle it. Self-Help certainly wouldn't have worked with one of the people I know who has bipolar disorder, she would have killed herself long before she could learn and UNDERSTAND any self-help techniques. Each person is unique, their history as well as their presenting symptoms and I think it can be dangerous for someone to seek out information regarding an illness like bipolar disorder over the internet. What works for one person may not work for someone else. And if the information I received is contradictory then how is it that the information being presented here is 100% factual for each person? It isn't!

That is my opinion and the original poster can either take it or not. I agreed with redglitter because she was absolutely correct in her statement! And though you may disagree with me or her, that is your right. The original post was my concern. And jimbo said himself that he wanted real life experiences and I was just including that redglitter was correct and that not all that was being mentioned here is concrete and maybe he'd be better getting information from an individual who has dealt with 100's of bipolar cases as well as learning of the multiple treatment options if absolutely necessary. :)
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

Obviously from your reply your own education as demonstrated by your ability to read and follow links is somewhat questionable.

Had you followed the links I provided you would have seen that the Self management courses I linked to are run by bipolar trained and experienced personnelle. Your implication that I was suggesting no professional or trained input is out of order.

I found that simply relying on professionals doling out various combinations of drug therapy didn't get to the cause of my problem. It was merely masking the symptoms and adding another layer of side effect symptoms that confused the issue further. Only when I took personal control of and full responsibility for, my medication (with the support of my medical advisers) was I able to achieve a reasonable quality of life. If the qualified professionals aren't leading Bipolar patients to the point where they can become independent of their input then they are treating their patients like children.

The sooner everyone with bipolar realises they have to live with the consequences of their actions and learn how to adjust their medication to suit their mood the better.

Learning to do this in properly organised and professionally led Bipolar Self Management course followed by continued attendance at a bipolar support group is the way to go imo. Young people don't take well to advice from authority figures but put them in a group of like minded individuals and they are quite capable of behaving in a sensible manner.

It is one thing being told what to do and another thing applying that knowledge.

Support groups work best by having people with the same, or similar problems discussing what works for them and how they manage particular situations. There are always things everyone can learn and more than one way of dealing with any problem. Implying that one can and should only seek advice from professionals may be well meant but it leads people to hand over responsibility for their health and actions to others and that in itself can be counterproductive.

You are legally and morally responsible for everything you do. Saying it isn't my fault it's the condition, the medicine, the doctor, the psychiatric social workers fault, isn't going to impress the debt collector or the police.
rainbowsmiles

bio polor disorder

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Obviously from your reply your own education as demonstrated by your ability to read and follow links is somewhat questionable.

Had you followed the links I provided you would have seen that the Self management courses I linked to are run by bipolar trained and experienced personnelle. Your implication that I was suggesting no professional or trained input is out of order.

You can hurl insults as much as you like, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not interested in proving anything to you. My advise is to jimbo. And as I said before, he can take it or leave it. I personally think he is better off seeing someone in the flesh and not just running around the net getting advice and that includes advice from links you've provided. I tell this to jimbo from experience and not just because I feel contradictory today. I have what I was told is Generalized anxiety disorder and I use to hang out on forums dedicated to anxiety disorders as well as seek information on those so-called acredited sites and it actually led me down a darker path. It wasn't until I found someone I could speak to in the flesh that I learned to care for myself. Sure, I had to go through a few ups and downs in that area but I found the path that was right for me. I stand by my advice to jimbo in that he should talk to someone with experience. Not just someone who claims to know everything regarding bipolar disorder, such as yourself tedhutchinson, over the internet.

If someone had questions regarding generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, panic disorder, or depersonalization I could give them a bookfull of answers, including how I finally got sane but I'd have the common sense to add that NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME, NOT EVERYONE EXHIBITS THE SAME SYMPTOMS, AND NOT EVERYONE WILL RESPOND TO VARIOUS TREATMENTS IN THE SAME FASHION. YOU NEED TO FIND WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU. GETTTING THE RIGHT INFORMATION OVER THE INTERNET, NO MATTER WHO IT MAY BE FROM, IS TRICKY BUSINESS.

Self management of Bipolar disorder I'm not sure what information people are objecting to in this thread. I'm also not sure that seeking professional help is always to answer to the problem. I've taken just about every anti-depressant on the shelves and I don't really think they solve the problem, simply keep the symptoms down by taking the enjoyment out of life.

I've clearly stated what I was objecting to so I'm not sure why your panties are all in a bunch still.

I found that simply relying on professionals doling out various combinations of drug therapy didn't get to the cause of my problem.

^ That is your opinion and isn't quite the fact! Some people do quite well and lead very productive and happy lives while on medication. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is ready for the SELF HELP path. Should they continue into a downward spiral, potentially leading to something fatal, just because you have an issue with medication? And not all professionals in this area hand out medication. You obviously haven't done your research quite extensively as you'd have people believe.

The sooner everyone with bipolar realises they have to live with the consequences of their actions and learn how to adjust their medication to suit their mood the better.

You are legally and morally responsible for everything you do. Saying it isn't my fault it's the condition, the medicine, the doctor, the psychiatric social workers fault, isn't going to impress the debt collector or the police.

You talk about people with bi-polar disorder as if they all fit into one group. I feel your opinion on this subject is quite critical. You found your path to good health and now your preaching that everyone else should follow it or else they are just damned to destruction. Well, I don't agree - and that is all I have left to say on this topic.

I hope jimbo found the information he was seeking.
Carl44

bio polor disorder

Post by Carl44 »

my thanks to every one that posted , believe it or not you would never guess it by reading my posts its not me i'm worried about:D honest, its a member of my family that will be coming to live with me i will be seeing my doc next week to get the support in place both of us will need, i anm not the brightest bulb in the hallway so i wanted some idea of what i would be talking about before i got there , i'm sure with the right support and a positive outlook everything will be fine , thanks to one and all jimbo :):) :)
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

rainbowsmiles;481022 wrote: You can hurl insults as much as you like, it doesn't matter to me. .So it's OK for you to question my education Are you educated in this area? in message 28 but not acceptable for me to question your's?

I think you need to spend some time finding out exactly what the Pharmaceutical Industry regards as "success" when encouraging folk to rely on this route. The point is that those who continue to thrive on this type of therapy are the minority and the majority have got to find a better way. They will do that better with the support of local experts in the bipolar community under the guidance of experienced trained professionals at their local, properly organised MDF self-management centre.

I think the rest of your reply is hysterical ranting and not a rational reply to my post at all.
cherandbuster

bio polor disorder

Post by cherandbuster »

Diuretic;481279 wrote: Just in case it helps anyone - I saw my GP when I felt I wasn't handling everyday life too well. She diagnosed generalised anxiety disorder and medication. Much better now.

I agree - talk to a health professional.

I started taking an antidepressant (Lexapro) four years ago when I just lost my 'spark' and felt isolated. I was holding onto negative things for too long without letting them go.

I've been very happy with the results. My doctor wanted me to stop the med, just to see if I needed it long-term or not. By the end of two weeks, those same negative feelings returned.

I plan to be on Lexapro for the long-term. I don't see it as any different from the high cholesterol medication I am taking. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

bio polor disorder

Post by Marie5656 »

I had a friend once whos husband was Bi-polar. You could really tell his ups and downs, though they were not to extreme.

Sadly, this affected thier marriage, and they often separated when he was in an extreme manic or depressive state.

I have not had contact with them in many years, and I always wonder how my friend, and her kids are. I was always concerned for her husband, also. I thought he was a really nice guy, who just had issues he had trouble dealing with.
Marie5656

bio polor disorder

Post by Marie5656 »

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder also. I have always tended to isolate myself. I was on Zoloft for several years. Worked OK, but got expensive. I am now taking the generic form of Paxil. It works OK. I now often see that I often feel depressed, when never happend before.

Now that I have this new doctor, who seems willing to listen well to concerns I have, I will be bringing this up.
tedhutchinson

bio polor disorder

Post by tedhutchinson »

cherandbuster;481492 wrote: I started taking an antidepressant (Lexapro) four years ago when I just lost my 'spark' and felt isolated. I was holding onto negative things for too long without letting them go.

I've been very happy with the results. My doctor wanted me to stop the med, just to see if I needed it long-term or not. By the end of two weeks, those same negative feelings returned.

I plan to be on Lexapro for the long-term. I don't see it as any different from the high cholesterol medication I am taking. :-6There is some interesting information Here at Crazymeds about Lexapro which, particularly if you are paying for your meds, you may find interesting.
cherandbuster

bio polor disorder

Post by cherandbuster »

tedhutchinson;481625 wrote: There is some interesting information Here at Crazymeds about Lexapro which, particularly if you are paying for your meds, you may find interesting.

Thanks, Ted. I found it very interesting :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

rainbowsmiles

bio polor disorder

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Marie5656;481525 wrote: I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder also. I have always tended to isolate myself. I was on Zoloft for several years. Worked OK, but got expensive. I am now taking the generic form of Paxil. It works OK. I now often see that I often feel depressed, when never happend before.

Now that I have this new doctor, who seems willing to listen well to concerns I have, I will be bringing this up.

Hi Marie,

Not saying the same will happen for you because I know not all people have had the same problems with paxil - I have a friend who has been taking it for several years and it helps her a great deal but I had the same problems with paxil as yourself (added depression) and a few other things. It was a long time ago and when I mentioned it to my doctor I was told that it wasn't the paxil but NOW I just recently saw an update on paxil on CNN where they have said they want the FDA to start putting warning labels on the medication because it can cause depression (NICE they finally admit that). I guess paxil isn't the only drug that has these types of side-effects but it was the one that stuck out in my mind because I had used it.

Meds just weren't for me. I went down that path but I eventually gave up on that form of treatment and took a different approach. I hope you find something useful for you - I know how difficult anxiety can be. And if medication is the route your going to take please know that there are several out there and if one doesn't help then another will ;)
RedGlitter

bio polor disorder

Post by RedGlitter »

SnoozeControl;492609 wrote: I had an anxiety attack once and the doctor gave me a week's worth of Xanax. When I told her I had heard they were addicting, she said no, they're habit forming. Hmmm.

I think the difference here is that addicting has more to do with the body craving the drug out of a physiological dependency while habit forming has more to do with your mind has become used to the drug and thinks it's not happy unless it's getting it. Mental addiction.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”